Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun as a photo prop

Options
  • 17-04-2014 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hope you can help. I am a keen photographer and want to use a shotgun as a prop. I have a friend with a shotgun, he's got a licence, and I wanted to borrow his gun.

He said no way could he give it to me without coming along.

He is now uncertain whether he can come along and let another person hold the gun for the photo.

Do you guys know? Is the licence specific to him holding that gun? i.e nobody else can hold it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Last Out wrote: »
    Hope you can help. I am a keen photographer and want to use a shotgun as a prop. I have a friend with a shotgun, he's got a licence, and I wanted to borrow his gun.

He is now uncertain whether he can come along and let another person hold the gun for the photo.

Do you guys know? Is the licence specific to him holding that gun? i.e nobody else can hold it.

Dont know the actual law regarding this, but if he removes the shells I can't see the gun posing a threat. Or use an airsoft shotgun instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Last Out

There won't be any cartridges. The scene is with a vintage car so i need an old looking shotgun. I did try the airsoft shop on the N11 but they had nothing suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Only the person named on the license can hold the shotgun or any part of it,he is not allowed by law to give it to anyone, as the person UN-licened can be convicted of holding an UN-licensed gun which can have severe penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

marlin vs wrote: »
    Only the person named on the license can hold the shotgun or any part of it,he is not allowed by law to give it to anyone, as the person UN-licened can be convicted of holding an UN-licensed gun which can have severe penalties.

The only time a person can carry a gun for a person is for transporting the gun for sporting purposes.

The law then is no other person can use a gun you are not licensed for outside an authorised range, but then again no body ever listens to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Last Out wrote: »

Just go ahead and do it,wont be a big issue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Your mate is right. He needs to be there. He is only the person licensed for that gun. That means only he can use, possess the gun.

However, and i'm by no means condoning any illegal activity, for the sake of a 10 second photo and in his presence an unloaded gun could be held by someone else.

I'm the first to quote the law and it can get mind numbing to hear but we have to state our position clearly from the off. However common sense also needs to be applied. When i'm out shooting and cross a fence i unload my gun and hand it to my mate to hold while i climb and i do the same for him. If i take a leak when out hunting i'll ask someone to put their hand to the gun while i go.

The only bit here really is common sense. once you don't intend to do a "Rambo recreation", once your mate is present, once the gun is unloaded and most importantly once your mate's instructions on handling and safety are followed precisely and in a timely manner there should be no major bother with it.

On a related topic why does your mate not just pose for the photo?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The existence of the photo might cause fun and games if you annoyed a garda though (don't do that if you can avoid it :) ).

2(3)(f) specifically covers the hand-the-shotgun-to-a-friend-while-crossing-a-fence kind of example, but I'm not sure you can stretch any of the exceptions to cover this instance exactly. 2(4)(f) is the closest:
    (f) the possession, use or carriage of a firearm or ammunition by a person taking part in a theatrical performance or rehearsal or in the production of a cinematograph film for the purpose of the performance, rehearsal or production, being a performance, rehearsal or production the person in charge of which stands authorised in that behalf under this section,
    However your mate would technically have to be in charge of the photoshoot and have an authorisation from the gardai which is a bit of overkill for a single photo.

Is the location terribly important? If not, you two could just go to his local range and take the photo there in the car park or whatever, and be covered by 2(4)(d).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cass wrote: »
    On a related topic why does your mate not just pose for the photo?

Probably because his mate is not female, and not in a state of undress :D:D:D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Probably because his mate is not female, and in a state of undress :D:D:D

Hey, it works for Putin, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Last Out

The owner of the gun isn't , well how should I put it, of model standard.

He's done his own research and all things considered he's happy enough to let the model hold the gun. It isn't loaded. He'll be there. It is only 5 - 10 mins all in with a few seconds here and there when the model will hold it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement

Ah, it's an "educational" one. Got ya.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

FFS just get your mate to bring the shotgun to the location, make sure its not loaded, take the photo and go home. No big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Lakeland shooting centre sell imatation shotguns for kids to learn on , other option is buy a de comissioned one , job sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Make sure he is there and don't mess around always treat a gun like its loaded. Ie pointing it in a safe direction all the time and you shouldn't have any bother.

But just remember. You have no say what does or doesn't happen with the gun it's ultimately your friends decision and his license and hobby to loose. So respect that and it will go smoothly and quickly.

Oh ye when the model has the gun warn her not to just put the gun down or stand it again the wall that might also irritate your mate.

TriggerPL wrote: »
    .....other option is buy a de comissioned one , job sorted
    While "easier" than a full license it would still require a letter of authorisation from the Super.

No big deal.
    If he thought it was no big deal, he'd just have done it.
    Last time I remember someone doing that as an art project, was an NCAD student having two decommissioned AK47s posted to him at the NCAD and they arrived shortly followed by a ton of bricks landing on his head as the head of the school and local chief superintendent got dragged into it and it wound up in the papers.

It's surprising how often "no big deal" winds up being a "big deal", and that's why we generally tell people who ask what the worst they could be looking at is because that's a damn sight more helpful than some random internet stranger (who has no liability whatsoever and who definitely won't be there to help if stuff goes sideways) saying "erra, it'll be grand".

Will the worst happen every time? No, because then it'd be the norm, not the worst. But if you were the OP, I think you'd find it more useful to know what the worst was than not have a clue until it landed on you like a ton of ex-NCAD bricks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

The devil loads the gun every 7 years tell him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thought it was the Devil loads one of your guns a year for you?:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

I've heard it both ways , more common is the devil loads a gun one a year !

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

That would be an ecumenical matter!!!! YES!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Curtains!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

FLOOR!!!! (sorry mods,this could go on for a while)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

The devil loads a gun once a year.

Hm. I had the non-religious version - "The gun is always loaded".
    Saves me from having to keep around a calendar and a priest for health&safety inspections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Sparks wrote: »
    If he thought it was no big deal, he'd just have done it.
    It's surprising how often "no big deal" winds up being a "big deal", and that's why we generally tell people who ask what the worst they could be looking at is because that's a damn sight more helpful than some random internet stranger (who has no liability whatsoever and who definitely won't be there to help if stuff goes sideways) saying "erra, it'll be grand".

and the FPU read boards...and they like us to know sometimes that they are watching us, this just could be one "NO BIG DEAL" they f**k you with..
    I'm sure this photo shoot could of happened safely and, your mistake is putting it up online. Now you must jump tru hoops..like the rest of us.. welcome to shooting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

The devil loads a gun once a year.

The devil loads an empty gun:D or It is the empty gun that kills

Advertisement