Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted Firearms

Options
  • 28-02-2015 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

The law says in regard to restricted firearms that you must demonstrate good reason for wanting that firearm and that the firearm your applying for is the only tool for the job (or something along the lines of that)

What constitutes a good reason for wanting a restricted firearm? Who entitled to wield such a firearm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

BrownTrout wrote: »

What constitutes a good reason for wanting a restricted firearm? Who entitled to wield such a firearm?

Depends on the gun in question and the person who is entitled to wield(:pac:) it is the person who has a licence as with any firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nobody's entitled to possess any kind of firearm, restricted or otherwise.
    As to what constitutes a good reason, there's a whole section in the Commissioner's guidelines on that one, but it basically is the same for restricted and unrestricted. The difference isn't quite as well-defined on the "how dangerous is it" axis as most people would assume; in fact, some of the least dangerous firearms in the country are restricted (if not outright banned) because the restricted/unrestricted division is so badly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

What type of restricted firearm do you want?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It basically says that the restricted firearm is the only firearm for the job, and an unrestricted (yet similar) firearm would not be adequate for the purpose you need it for. Key word being need, not want.

So if you wanted a restricted, semi auto .223 over a bolt action, unrestricted .223, you need to show without any room for doubt that the semi auto is the only type of gun suitable for the purpose you need it for, while also showing that the bolt action would be inadequate.

If you show this you get it, if not you don't. Problem being if you get refused you must declare on every FCA1 from now on that you were refused a firearms license. It's one of the reasons people think carefully before applying. I know i did.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

keano25 wrote:
    What type of restricted firearm do you want?

I don't want one myself but I was just reading about Irish gun policy in general and I was wondering what a legitimate reason for wanting a restricted firearm would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

For example as a right handed person having lost the ring and index finger of your right hand and wanting to continue hunting deer would be a good reason to apply for a .308 self loader.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Add to that being left handed,having cognitive and progressing musclar tissue injury that makes using a conventional stocked rifle or shotgun uncomfortable to use.Type of hunting done,type of disipline shot[yes there ARE semi sporting rifle comps here in Ireland] Using it out of the ROI for hunting and comps.Just a few "good reasons" for restricted firearms.It doesnt have to be about mag capacity or caliber either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I don't want one myself but I was just reading about Irish gun policy in general and I was wondering what a legitimate reason for wanting a restricted firearm would be
    Well, for a few quick examples:
    • Wanting to shoot target crossbow
    • Wanting to own your own paintball marker
    • Wanting to use a .22 rifle that's built using the bullpup design

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That term restricted is misleading because it's possible to get a restricted rifle or shotgun but not a restricted handgun.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That term restricted is misleading because it's possible to get a restricted rifle or shotgun but not a restricted handgun.
    Worse yet, it's actually a restricted short firearm you can't get, which includes (accidentally) more than just handguns. Hence the illegality of paintball in Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

BattleCorp wrote:
    When the 2009 handgun restrictions were brought in, were those who had centre fire pistols and revolvers asked to hand them in or was it just stopping any new certificates from being issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

When the 2009 handgun restrictions were brought in, were those who had centre fire pistols and revolvers asked to hand them in or was it just stopping any new certificates from being issued?

New applications not admissible, post 2008 licences not being renewed and generally a heap of so far deemed ( in most cases anyway ) unjustified objections and hurdles being thrown in the way of pre 2008 renewals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Those who had restricted short firearm license before Nov. 2008 were allowed to re-apply only. There was no entitlement to keep them, nor any guarantee you would get the license upon renewing.
    .......... post 2008 licences not being renewed ..........
    There were no post Nov. 2008 licenses. After the Minster made his Dail statement the law that came in after was retrospective to that date. I have personal experience with this as i attempted to change from one of my 9mm pistols to another 9mm and while i was granted the license (old white paper one), i was refused the import to bring the gun in. The reason, "to stop the proliferation of handguns". This was in December through January of 2008/22009.

So Chief Supers were enacting it from the moment the Minister made his statement.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wiktor.D

Hey there lads. Could someone give me a few good reasons for a restricted firearm, namely a pump shotgun.

I was thinking something like " it holds more rounds and that will give me a chance for more follow up shots" but then Im worried that it would make me sound like a clumsy idiot and I will be a "threat to public safety"

And also, how much do you have to write about your reason for a restricted firearm, a paragraph?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You write as little as possible first off.No point in making rope on which they could hang you.;)
    Second,unless you are really need over three shots here,you will have to have a compelling reason for this.Taking up embassy cup might be one as you need over four shots and shotgun slugs[restricted ammo] to compete.
    Or you are a professional vermin shooter needing to dispatch multiple crows,feral piegons, rats, etc.
    Might get you a sympathetic hearing with your cheif.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

The NASRPC are introducing target shotgun in many competitions this year. T&P1, Multi Target and Embassy Cup. For the first two competitions you need a 6 shell mag, Embassy Cup at least 4 shells.

Wiktor.D wrote: »
    Hey there lads. Could someone give me a few good reasons for a restricted firearm, namely a pump shotgun.

I was thinking something like " it holds more rounds and that will give me a chance for more follow up shots" but then Im worried that it would make me sound like a clumsy idiot and I will be a "threat to public safety"

And also, how much do you have to write about your reason for a restricted firearm, a paragraph?

I'd imagine the most straight forward way to get a restricted shotgun is for target shooting. If you intend to shoot restricted shotgun competitions such as the Embassy Cup or any of the other comps run by the NASRPC, then that's your 'need' to have that particular type of firearm. If you go this route, you will have to join a range and take part in some competitions. The Chief Super can't really argue that another firearm will do because it's absolutely essential to have a restricted licence to take part in these comps.

If you go the route of your argument regarding a chance for more follow-up shots, I can see a Chief Super ...... ahem...... shooting you down. :cool: Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

What grinds my gears is the fact you can get a 4,000 ft/lb + .300 weatherby magnum on an unrestricted licence, but if you want a 500 ft/lb .38 special lever action to shoot gallery rifle, its a restricted licence and there is usually an act of parliament involved trying to get a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Follow up shots on what, birds?....wild life act prohibits more than 3 cartridges, for vermin?...maybe, not 100% sure, for clay pigeon shooting? ....not practicle unless your going into trick shooting or world record attempts.
    I think competition use would be your only viable route. When I was niave and didn't think past the end of my muzzle I used to go a foot with my pump action filled to the gills with cartridges. Weight and balance made it very impractical for field shooting even decoying and I soon stuck to the three shots. Today I won't even think of stoking up the semi with more then 3 even if it was legal.
    Having said that if the Embassy competitions took off here, I won't mind a go but there's still all that hassle (IMO) of owning a restricted firearm. The semi is the only firearm I have that attracts attention from the current Superintendent.

Having said that if the Embassy competitions took off here, I won't mind a go but there's still all that hassle (IMO) of owning a restricted firearm. The semi is the only firearm I have that attracts attention from the current Superintendent.

I have restricted firearms and I didn't find them much hassle to get.

Once my application hit the Chief Super's desk I received a letter from his office stating that he was willing to give me the licence once I complied with certain safe storage conditions. These conditions were in excess of the Commissioners Guidelines but they weren't mental. I had most of them anyway. I only had to upgrade two things. Once I had everything in order, I contacted the Crime Prevention Officer. He came out, inspected my setup, was happy that I had complied with what the Chief Super wanted and made his report for the Chief Super.

The licence was issued in due course.

My second restricted firearm licence was issued in exactly the same fashion (but I had no upgrades to do, they were already done).

If someone wants a restricted shotgun to take part in the Embassy Cup, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

BattleCorp wrote: »
    .....he was willing to give me the licence once I complied with certain safe storage conditions.........

I understand that it's doable, but for me at the moment and for the foreseeable short term I'm not in the position to upgrade my security in relation to the basic requirements associated with restricted firearms.

I have a good set up at the moment but it wouldn't pass the acid test for restricted let alone any flights of fancy that the local lad my impose.

Just as well or I'd be broke and or divorced for buying guns:D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

The things that can make your regular plugged pump or semi shotguns restricted are the following;

1. Barrel shorter than 24 inches.
    2. You have a pistol grip (mad dangerous altogether).
    3. You wish to possess slugs (restricted ammunition for almost a decade now, and bloody difficult to find in significant quantities let me tell you)
    4. You want something greater than a 2+1 magazine capacity (ie take out the plug and/or put a mag extension tube on the firearm
    5. Firearm with a detachable and/or folding stock.

Vermin shooting is a good reason but on its own you may encounter difficulties with it as a reason I feel. Target shotgun in NASRPC events appears to be the only strong legitimate need.

That said, and I hope this won't be too unpopular a comment, I'm not enthusiastic about applicants saying they want to shoot embassy cup etc. just so they can get a restricted shotgun licence. If you're serious about it, great. Welcome aboard and I for one am looking forward to meeting you on the line. If not. Please don't apply.

Other than that, if you want any advice regarding applications and the target shotgun NASRPC events, send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭clivej

OK my 'Reason' for both my restricted shotguns was
    'International Target shooting' and having proved that I do shoot and compete in international competitions.

Advertisement