Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed - Unity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

the perfect scenario would be, that ubi learn from rushing this9(doubtful ala creed 3), people vote with their wallet and for it to be patched up nice and good next month and we get it in January for 30e on sale.:p

Can still see it selling well unfortunately. Heck I'll probably buy it on the cheap in a few months. Just hope they patch it up somehow!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That moment when you realize Rogue is getting higher reviews than Unity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Jesus.. I imagine Ubisoft will get a bit more sh*t too for including microtransactions in the game.

Seriously taking the piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah, that **** killed Dead Space 3 and that was EA that wrecked that IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

All I know is ill be buying it regardless of reviews, I've enjoyed every AC I've played so I'm willing to take my chances on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

tok9 wrote: »
    Jesus.. I imagine Ubisoft will get a bit more sh*t too for including microtransactions in the game.

It will still go on to sell millions though, that is the problem, no matter how many are pissed till they see a drastic drop in sales they will keep doing it, it was very refreshing to see CD Projekt announcing that all DLC will be free for The Witcher 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

cant help but look forward to The Division and Rainbow Six a tiny bit less, or atleast lower my expectations for both by about 30%.we shall see...
    Why? They're completely different teams. :confused:

gizmo wrote: »
    Why? They're completely different teams. :confused:

It's nothing to do with teams, it's Ubi's management forcing out broken/unfinished games lately. AC3 was a mess, Watch Dogs was false advertising and now this buggy and under performing mess of a game. Bad track record lately. Only Black Flag was the last decent game that looked and worked as pitched.

There has not been a decent Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon game since they left the PC and went to consoles anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The new crouch button lets Arno sneak up on people in a way that's more predictable and useful than the stealth controls in the series' earlier games. It's tied to the left trigger, and on paper, it works similarly to the generally excellent stealth controls in Ubisoft's Splinter Cell games. But it and the game's cover-snapping do not gel, in part because the game, frustratingly, does not allow you to corner around an object you're covering behind or easily snap from one piece of cover to another. Imagine you're in a room full of chairs and desks. A guard is walking back and forth. You've taken cover behind a desk where he can't see you. You've pressed the A button and you're "stuck" to it. The guard walks away from you and you want to sidle around to the side of the desk to get a bead on him before pouncing. You can't, because you cannot turn a corner while crouched and snapped to cover. You have to unsnap, creating space between you and the desk, risking detection, and then you have to sneak around the corner of the desk and snap again. This is not a hypothetical. It happens during the first big stealth mission.

That would annoy me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's nothing to do with teams, it's Ubi's management forcing out broken/unfinished games lately. AC3 was a mess, Watch Dogs was false advertising and now this buggy and under performing mess of a game. Bad track record lately. Only Black Flag was the last decent game that looked and worked as pitched.

There has not been a decent Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon game since they left the PC and went to consoles anyway.
    That's not really how it has worked though. AC3, for instance, was in development for over two and a half years, lending it the longest dev period of any entry since the first title in the series. The problems with that game were fundamentally to do with its design, both in terms of the world and the lead character. No amount of extra time given to the project was going to change that.

Similarly, Watch Dogs had quite a protracted development period but quite obviously over promised and under delivered. While I've yet to play it, the majority of complaints I've read again focused on tired design and a poor underdeveloped protagonist. Graphics issues aside, again this doesn't really indicate an issue with a rushed production schedule.

Now, I'm not going to argue that these games were released without bugs, especially if you looked at some of the undercooked PC versions, but I can't agree that their primary problems have been caused by Ubi forcing out broken or unfinished games. Hell, look at Black Flag and the initial reception to Rogue, these games have had the tightest development cycles yet have been praised more than their mainline brethren.

If you want to level real criticism at Ubi, I'd go with either changing the direction of the series from it's originally planned trilogy and losing Patrice Désilets in the process or insisting on devoting such a large number of resources to the series in order to pump out an iteration annually causing it to stagnate. As johnny_ultimate said below, it could really use a year or two off to give people some breathing space and the devs some freedom to try something really new. Or they could just finish the ****ing series and give Michel Ancel the budget he deserves for Beyond Good & Evil 2.

As for the quality of Rainbow Six titles, while I pine for a return to the days of the original games where planning was key to mission success, the first Vegas title was pretty great and was roundly well received. I have absolutely no idea how the new one is going to fair but I'm going to keep an open mind and at the very least, stop telling myself the footage at E3 hinted at more of a SWAT4 style game. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Despite huge reservations, I pre-ordered the game from Amazon a few weeks ago as I do love the AC series and I know I'd still get a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

Reading reviews this morning though, my reservations don't seem to have been huge enough. I've now attempted to cancel the game (currently in the process of being dispatched). If I do get it cancelled, I'll likely try and pick it up second hand after Christmas, but most of what I've read in reviews troubles me too much.

Edit:Cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I was looking forward to this game until I read the performance reviews. How this game was released amazes me, its a disgrace. Another rushed game that clearly has not been optimzed with a new engine not running the way it should be.

How you can justify 20fps on the PS4 and 24fps on the XO is laughable...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-performance-analysis

I think I will be giving this one a miss until a few patches are released and I can pick it up second hand.

Will hold out for Farcry 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Between the micro transactions and the bad reviews, may just wait till this drops in price next year.

Rogue seems to be the better game, and will probably get that, whenever they release it for PC/Next Gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

tok9 wrote: »

Micro-transactions can be fine. If they're implemented correctly that is. Ive no problem with the likes of Horse Armour. But Unity seems to be taking the chugger approach; jumping in front of you, waving it's hands and basically being a ****ing pest. It's a nasty direction these gen has taken. Also app bull****... Taken from GAF

I tried to open a treasure chest, but was told I needed the Assassin’s Creed companion app to open it, with no additional information or context.

I tried to open another treasure chest, and was told I needed to sign up for Assassin’s Creed Initiates to open it.

When I paused the game, the second option in the pause menu is an eStore that lets you spend real money on time-saving boosts, bonus in-game currency, and so-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man that's shyte, I remember a dev playing a preview build a few months back and while scaling a building, he found a a secret door that he could pick the lock. A message popped up on screen saying "Lockpick skill too low" and an option to pay to unlock the Lockpick skill there and then. I know you're not being forced to pay for the lockpick skill but the way it just popped up on screen looked awful. Wouldn't care in the slightest if it said, level up first by gaining more xp from side missions, challenges, etc.

Basically pay to win. Pay now to finish the game and play no more missions. That will be next.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Man that's shyte, I remember a dev playing a preview build a few months back and while scaling a building, he found a a secret door that he could pick the lock. A message popped up on screen saying "Lockpick skill too low" and an option to pay to unlock the Lockpick skill there and then. I know you're not being forced to pay for the lockpick skill but the way it just popped up on screen looked awful. Wouldn't care in the slightest if it said, level up first by gaining more xp from side missions, challenges, etc.

Ahhh here.........pay with cash like?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ahhh here.........pay with cash like?

200_s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

i think ill get rogue first and wait and see if it comes down in price around christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

logik wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this game until I read the performance reviews. How this game was released amazes me, its a disgrace. Another rushed game that clearly has not been optimzed with a new engine not running the way it should be.

How you can justify 20fps on the PS4 and 24fps on the XO is laughable...

Yeah I got Black Flag and there was a huge patch to download first, really tempers enthusiasm for something you just bought....AC:III was probably the worst performing game I ever bought pre patch.
    At least the Clueless Gamer Review was funny, can`t post a link as i`m still a new user :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sheehy83 wrote: »
    200_s.gif

:p

That's ridiculous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yeah I got Black Flag and there was a huge patch to download first, really tempers enthusiasm for something you just bought....AC:III was probably the worst performing game I ever bought pre patch.
    At least the Clueless Gamer Review was funny, can`t post a link as i`m still a new user :confused:

I am just after thinking aswell. When it was announced that the PS4 and XO would both be running 900p people were going mental saying that it was clearly MS paying Unisoft off to keep the resolution at 900p. Now looking at the performance reviews of the game the PS4 is dropping to 20fps at 900p.

Imagine if it was running 1080p... christ i shudder to think what the fps would be then.

This game has launched in a Beta state, it is a disgrace...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

gizmo wrote: »
    That's not really how it has worked though. AC3, for instance, was in development for over two and a half years, lending it the longest dev period of any entry since the first title in the series. The problems with that game were fundamentally to do with its design, both in terms of the world and the lead character. No amount of extra time given to the project was going to change that.

Similarly, Watch Dogs had quite a protracted development period but quite obviously over promised and under delivered. While I've yet to play it, the majority of complaints I've read again focused on tired design and a poor underdeveloped protagonist. Graphics issues aside, again this doesn't really indicate an issue with a rushed production schedule.

Now, I'm not going to argue that these games were released without bugs, especially if you looked at some of the undercooked PC versions, but I can't agree that their primary problems have been caused by Ubi forcing out broken or unfinished games. Hell, look at Black Flag and the initial reception to Rogue, these games have had the tightest development cycles yet have been praised more than their mainline brethren.

If you want to level real criticism at Ubi, I'd go with either changing the direction of the series from it's originally planned trilogy and losing Patrice Désilets in the process or insisting on devoting such a large number of resources to the series in order to pump out an iteration annually causing it to stagnate. As johnny_ultimate said below, it could really use a year or two off to give people some breathing space and the devs some freedom to try something really new. Or they could just finish the ****ing series and give Michel Ancel the budget he deserves for Beyond Good & Evil 2.

As for the quality of Rainbow Six titles, while I pine for a return to the days of the original games where planning was key to mission success, the first Vegas title was pretty great and was roundly well received. I have absolutely no idea how the new one is going to fair but I'm going to keep an open mind and at the very least, stop telling myself the footage at E3 hinted at more of a SWAT4 style game. :o
    Ubisoft is a huge company. They could have 10 lads in an office in Montreal working on the last 2 months not 300.i wouldnt assume that there were full teams years on end working on these titles . They knew what they were released and marketing. And they released them anyways for the Xmas period.

Watchdogs was false advertising simple as. It didn't look half as good as it did 2 years previous. I expect the division and rainbow six we be similar. Hopefully not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

According to Digital Foudry it's running better on Xbox One than PS4. The comments section is pure comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Another annoying thing is I preloaded the game and now about 20 minutes into it and can't go further because it hasn't finished downloading. Still 10gb to go. What kinda preload is that :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

That transaction stuff is terrible!

A disgrace that a full price title is acting like some crappy smartphone game.

I don't mind stuff in a little free game but when I pay money for a AAA console game I don't want this rubbish.

Glad it's not great as I can easily boycott it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    According to Digital Foudry it's running better on Xbox One than PS4. The comments section is pure comedy.

Just reading some of it there...Could it get anymore childish? Hilarious stuff.
    I think we should extract some and post it here for ****s and giggles :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I think we should extract some and post it here for ****s and giggles :P

Post some for the craic.

Game sites are blocked at work!

Quote:
    "Digital Foundry: Outside of more open areas, Assassin's Creed Unity manages to deliver a consistent 30fps on both consoles for prolonged periods of time

Translation of diplomatic wording:
    When standing perfectly still and directly facing a wall within an empty room this sub-1080p game runs at 30fps."

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Christ...what a disaster.

20130714150201!Etvideogamecover.jpg

Advertisement