Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed - Unity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm not surprised by the micro transactions at all. Black Flag had them, but could be easily ignored and wasn't a requirement really.
    I'd be of the opinion that using them is basically just a waste of time, as you're not really playing the game.

On topic, I love the look of Unity. I played Assassins Creed when it came out and got bored relatively quickly, Assassins Creed 2 was better and I never played 3.
    I did however really really enjoy Black Flag, except the annoying patching issues on boats.

Unity so far looks great and I'm tempted to buy it on release, which is very rare for me. Gameplay and graphics really standout.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been playing Black Flag solidly for the last 2 weeks, I haven't seen any mention or reference to microtransactions :eek: Where are they? Clearly they're doing it right if you don't even know they're there and they're not upselling them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shiminay wrote: »
    I've been playing Black Flag solidly for the last 2 weeks, I haven't seen any mention or reference to microtransactions :eek: Where are they? Clearly they're doing it right if you don't even know they're there and they're not upselling them :)

You couldn't buy them in the game, just as DLC. In fact I'm not too sure they could be considered as microtransactions, but just general "Upgrade your ship/weapons faster" DLC packs.

IIRC they were in UPlay itself, rather than in-game. Honestly I only remember glancing over them briefly, but I never felt the need to use them or look for them again. The game was fun enough and involving enough that it never occurred to me to even try to buy the locations for shards.

Was far too busy getting whooped by the Legendary ships :D

Ah, I did a bit of looking, it seems the micro-transactions are only for levelling up your multiplayer character(s). So standard issue multiplayer micro-transactions that everyone seems to offer now - "Got no skill and/or time to grind? Pay to win." Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ah, I did a bit of looking, it seems the micro-transactions are only for levelling up your multiplayer character(s). So standard issue multiplayer micro-transactions that everyone seems to offer now - "Got no skill and/or time to grind? Pay to win." Meh.
    If there was a slight benefit to the stats for doing it the hard way it wouldn't be as much of a problem, you'd still be rewarded for putting in the work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm pretty sure on the in game menu i saw options to buy gold and other items. Can't remember for sure, but i was almost positive it was for the single player game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Unity delayed by 2 weeks, new release date 13th November. AC Rogue has been moved to 13th as well. Far Cry 4 released 18th of November :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I won't get to play this until Christmas Day so I happy enough. Makes the wait a little shorter.

• Advertisement

Co-op Video

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I was just browsing through the Metro there as I was checking the Alien review. Anyway saw this in the mailbox section and thought it may be of interest for ye later.
    Suspicious behaviour
    In one of the Reader’s Features there is mention that they couldn’t get any hands on with Assassin’s Creed Ynity, but instead were only allowed to sit and watch. It is mentioned that this was also the case last year with Watch Dogs.

When I went to EGX last year I was amazed that a game that was scheduled for release in about six weeks was not playable. Then of course we were treated to the Ubisoft delay on the game. Does GC and the readers think that this could also be the case here? It seems very suspicious to me that they have again done this on a game that is out in the next six or so weeks.
    WAYNEOS

GC: We suspect there’s a different reason. Make sure you check the site at 5pm today for our first hands-on preview…

0_o Talk about click-bait?!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Oh for fucks sake

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/10/06/assassins-creed-unity-locked-at-900p-for-both-xbox-one-ps4

When will ubisoft stop gimping their specs and learn how to properly optimize their bloody games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Oh for fucks sake

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/10/06/assassins-creed-unity-locked-at-900p-for-both-xbox-one-ps4

When will ubisoft stop gimping their specs and learn how to properly optimize their bloody games?
    Huh? They've said both console versions will run at 900p, this means one of two things. Either a) it's a move to placate MS since Black Flag ran at 1080p on the PS4 and 900p on the XBox One post-patch or b) they're aiming for platform parity to make the development and testing process easier on themselves. In either case, optimization, or lack thereof, doesn't really come into it when it's a conscious decision.

If they locked the PC version to 900p@30fps then that'd be a totally different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

gizmo wrote: »
    Huh? They've said both console versions will run at 900p, this means one of two things. Either a) it's a move to placate MS since Black Flag ran at 1080p on the PS4 and 900p on the XBox One post-patch or b) they're aiming for platform parity to make the development and testing process easier on themselves. In either case, optimization, or lack thereof, doesn't really come into it when it's a conscious decision.

If they locked the PC version to 900p@30fps then that'd be a totally different story.

Well as a PS4 owner I'm a bit disappointed..

lolololololol... :D

Can't say I blame them tbh, this 1080/60 nonsense that the current crop of console consumers seem to have an unhealthy obsession for is beyond a joke at this stage, a lot of them still have no idea what it means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

If I remember correctly Black Flag launched on PS4 with 900p resolution. It was only after launch that they bumped it up to 1080p. So lets hope that they patch this game the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Clowns. Handicapping a system because the other cannot perform to the same degree to avoid "debates" ?

They've moved from fucking over PC's to consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hilarious gif from neogaf after today's news :pac:

0337_gxkq3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I really enjoyed black flag and was borderline getting this or far cry 4. guess i will be getting far cry 4. can't believe ubi went backwards on ps4 since Black flag.

but they win with me either way, the suckers publish far cry too lol.

I plan on playing this on either console or PC, and frankly I don't give a toss if it's running at 900p instead of 1080p and neither should anyone else.

It's a negligible difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I plan on playing this on either console or PC, and frankly I don't give a toss if it's running at 900p instead of 1080p and neither should anyone else.

It's a negligible difference really.

I agree it's a negligible difference, and gameplay obviously trumps all. But intentionally reducing the specs on one version of the game, thereby not making it look the best it can for those players, in order to placate people playing it on a slightly lower quality on another console, is completely ridiculous and is a practice which should be challenged.

Obviously, this relates only to consoles and not PC which is a completely different discussion altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn wrote: »
    I agree it's a negligible difference, and gameplay obviously trumps all. But intentionally reducing the specs on one version of the game, thereby not making it look the best it can for those players, in order to placate people playing it on a slightly lower quality on another console, is completely ridiculous and is a practice which should be challenged.

Obviously, this relates only to consoles and not PC which is a completely different discussion altogether.

I want my 1080peeeeeeeeeee! Now I know how PC boys felt when Watch dogs was downgraded :)

Yupp, I don't think I could notice the different between the 2 but I think Ubisoft have just brought more attention to the fact and fuelling the debate. It's happened in so many games now, I didn't think people cared anymore, now they are starting it up again with Sony lads with super vision going mad they are getting an 'inferior' product.

And in the most unsurprising move of the week, Ubisoft have issued a statement clarifying their position after the interview with the AC:U Senior Producer yesterday...
    We understand how Senior Producer Vincent Pontbriand's quotes have been misinterpreted. To set the record straight, we did not lower the specs for Assassin's Creed Unity to account for any one system over the other.

Assassin's Creed Unity has been engineered from the ground up for next-generation consoles. Over the past 4 years, we have created Assassin's Creed Unity to attain the tremendous level of quality we have now achieved on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. It's a process of building up toward our goals, not scaling down, and we're proud to say that we have reached those goals on all SKUs.

At no point did we decide to reduce the ambitions of any SKU. All benefited from the full dedication of all of our available optimization resources to help them reach the level of quality we have today with the core Assassin's Creed Unity experience.

Final specs for Assassin’s Creed Unity aren’t cemented yet, but we can say we showed Assassin’s Creed Unity at 900p during our hands-on preview event last week. We’re confident that gamers will be thrilled with the gorgeous graphics and how Paris is brought to life in Assassin’s Creed Unity.

People often wonder why developers don't talk to the press more and instead we get publisher mouth pieces. This is actually a pretty good example why. With no direction quote from a level designer, this became this which has now become this. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They came out with this yesterday.
    Assassin's Creed Unity will run at 900p/30fps on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Ubisoft has confirmed, with the publisher opting to aim for platform parity to avoid discussion over the differences in performance.

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," senior producer Vincent Pontbriand told VideoGamer.com while explaining that it's the consoles' CPUs – not the GPU – that prevents Ubisoft Montreal from improving the game's performance.

"Technically we're CPU-bound," he said. "The GPUs are really powerful, obviously the graphics look pretty good, but it's the CPU [that] has to process the AI, the number of NPCs we have on screen, all these systems running in parallel.

"We were quickly bottlenecked by that and it was a bit frustrating, because we thought that this was going to be a tenfold improvement over everything AI-wise, and we realised it was going to be pretty hard. It's not the number of polygons that affect the framerate. We could be running at 100fps if it was just graphics, but because of AI, we're still limited to 30 frames per second."

Last year's Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag also shipped at 900p/30fps on both PS4 and Xbox One. A post-release patch, however, bumped the PS4 version to 1080p. Ubisoft has given no indication that it has plans to do the same for Unity.

Assassin's Creed Unity launches on PS4, Xbox One and PC on November 14.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    They came out with this yesterday.
    That'd be Monday ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they go for 1080p on the PS4 either by launch or post-release via a patch. Between the negative press that interview has caused and EA sticking the knife in yesterday with the DA:I announcement it's certainly in their best interests to push for it.

Advertisement