Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugly birds- why do lads bother?

Options
  • 05-08-2006 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Not a popular one here Ted :D *attaches flame retardant*

Just something Im wondering, but what makes a guy go out with a really really ugly bird? I dont mean one just a bit plain or with nothin about her, I mean REALLY bad.

I was on the bus today, this bird got on. Probably about 21/22, my guess being shes a retired teenage goth. Not fat, but...built. Hair trimmed to her neck length, dyed a bad looking reddish brown colour, wore thick rimmed glasses, basically the type that automatically makes the voice in your head utter "jaysus no way". So she gets off at a bus stop and into the arms of some lad who was obviously her boyfriend. And Im thinking "whats your game?". It really made me think, how does a lad go out with someone who not only makes no effort on her appearance, but seemingly goes out of the way to make herself look worse? For me to like a girl, she has to be the type who, when I see her it makes me smile, when she smiles at me it brightens up my day. How in the name of jaysus this one could evoke those type of emotions in a man purely mystify me.

I dont mean to be mean about it, but you cant help these thoughts. Ive a mate, early 30s (Im only 20 but I know him a few years), hes engaged to a bird of about 27, though she looks around 35. Im trying hard to think of a good physical aspect about her, and all I can come up with is that her body is alright, I suppose, but theres absoloutely nothin about the face, wears bad glasses and the hair is nothing special. But the odd thing is, sometimes we`ve been watching tv or whatever and some rough piece is on the box, and he would mention about how rotten looking she was. Again, not intentionally being mean, but I cant help thinking to myself "yours is worse mate". And apart from her, he seems to have good taste! Like, I dunno, Pussycat Dolls or whoever video might come on and he would say about how he`d lash it out of all them. How can he say that then look at his own bird and not see that there is utterly not one iota of comparison? For those of you who think Im being harsh, not every girl is genetically beautiful, but 90% of those who you might consider rough could make themselves look nicer if the wanted. Grow their hair a bit longer, get a decent fashion taste, that kind of thing. Personally, I know if I started going with an ugly girl, my mates would say it to my face. Theyd pretty much accuse me of selling out. And as for my family, my mams an awful critic, I dont care much for what she thinks in most aspects of my life but lord if I brought home some rough yoke, she would tell me and all. I recognise that personality is very important, but unless a good personality comes from a pretty face and well maintained body it doesnt count for much. So what makes a man go out with a munter? Depression? My above mentioned mate in his 30s used to go with a Swedish girl who I will stereotypically assume was ood looking, lived with her and all until they split, he got with the other one a few months later. I was with this one when I was 17, absoloute princess. Tall-ish, slim, brown eyed real naturally tanned complexion, raven black hair, and we got on like a house on fire, really properly liked her. Anyway, due to my retardedness it went tits up, but thats another matter. The following September I started college and got acquainted the first day with this rough as hell fat bird, and on one occasion in the first week I nearly contemplated pulling her whilst sober, due to being on such a downer from losing the other girl. Thankfully sanity got the better of me, and it gives me a chill even thinking of it now.

So, opinions? Or am I just a bastard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

but did she have big tits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Youre not so much a bastard as a pathetic, vaccuos loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well you couldn't ever go out with someone your friends would slag you over :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

well eveyone is different where you see an ''ugly bird'' another might see a sound person, to polish off an old gem ''Don't Jugde a book by it's cover'', if you go for a person who is nicer looking you'll find a peron who is a prick or prickette, not always the case though.

Go and rent Shallow Hal

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You're not a bastid - you're young and just stupid and obviously single. Why don't you show us all a picture of yourself and we'll see if you have the right to call somebody ugly. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Well you couldn't ever go out with someone your friends would slag you over :rolleyes:
    exaclty. don't you know that the most important aspect of any gf should be what your mates think of her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

cause fat girls need loving too :D and they are more "adventurous" than most other girls.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You just don't know any better yet OP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

stepbar wrote:
    cause fat girls need loving too :D
    They pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Not a popular one here Ted :D *attaches flame retardant*

Just something Im wondering, but what makes a guy go out with a really really ugly bird? I dont mean one just a bit plain or with nothin about her, I mean REALLY bad.

I was on the bus today, this bird got on. Probably about 21/22, my guess being shes a retired teenage goth. Not fat, but...built. Hair trimmed to her neck length, dyed a bad looking reddish brown colour, wore thick rimmed glasses, basically the type that automatically makes the voice in your head utter "jaysus no way". So she gets off at a bus stop and into the arms of some lad who was obviously her boyfriend. And Im thinking "whats your game?". It really made me think, how does a lad go out with someone who not only makes no effort on her appearance, but seemingly goes out of the way to make herself look worse? For me to like a girl, she has to be the type who, when I see her it makes me smile, when she smiles at me it brightens up my day. How in the name of jaysus this one could evoke those type of emotions in a man purely mystify me.

I dont mean to be mean about it, but you cant help these thoughts. Ive a mate, early 30s (Im only 20 but I know him a few years), hes engaged to a bird of about 27, though she looks around 35. Im trying hard to think of a good physical aspect about her, and all I can come up with is that her body is alright, I suppose, but theres absoloutely nothin about the face, wears bad glasses and the hair is nothing special. But the odd thing is, sometimes we`ve been watching tv or whatever and some rough piece is on the box, and he would mention about how rotten looking she was. Again, not intentionally being mean, but I cant help thinking to myself "yours is worse mate". And apart from her, he seems to have good taste! Like, I dunno, Pussycat Dolls or whoever video might come on and he would say about how he`d lash it out of all them. How can he say that then look at his own bird and not see that there is utterly not one iota of comparison? For those of you who think Im being harsh, not every girl is genetically beautiful, but 90% of those who you might consider rough could make themselves look nicer if the wanted. Grow their hair a bit longer, get a decent fashion taste, that kind of thing. Personally, I know if I started going with an ugly girl, my mates would say it to my face. Theyd pretty much accuse me of selling out. And as for my family, my mams an awful critic, I dont care much for what she thinks in most aspects of my life but lord if I brought home some rough yoke, she would tell me and all. I recognise that personality is very important, but unless a good personality comes from a pretty face and well maintained body it doesnt count for much. So what makes a man go out with a munter? Depression? My above mentioned mate in his 30s used to go with a Swedish girl who I will stereotypically assume was ood looking, lived with her and all until they split, he got with the other one a few months later. I was with this one when I was 17, absoloute princess. Tall-ish, slim, brown eyed real naturally tanned complexion, raven black hair, and we got on like a house on fire, really properly liked her. Anyway, due to my retardedness it went tits up, but thats another matter. The following September I started college and got acquainted the first day with this rough as hell fat bird, and on one occasion in the first week I nearly contemplated pulling her whilst sober, due to being on such a downer from losing the other girl. Thankfully sanity got the better of me, and it gives me a chill even thinking of it now.

So, opinions? Or am I just a bastard?

You're a sad sad man OP. Welcome to my ignore list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Its as simple as " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ... what u find attractive someone maynot and visa versa...

this thread is stupid and shallow, just get over it and post something intresting rather than this rubish please.

Well your a bit shallow (so am I)but then again you are spot on!!!!,
    Everyone has standards and its no crime to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I noticed an edit note on the bottom of the OP.
    Jesus Christ, what on earth did he edit in that?

There are plenty of blokes who mightn't be classed as great looking out there with girlfriends.
    It's a chemistry thing I guess.

That siad, it's not hard to figure out why you're single!
    Maybe YORE MA wants you for herself??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Whoa! I expected a negative or two, but this is pure mad :eek:

I think alot of people are missing the point. The girls in particular. Let me put it in perspective- if your friend said she was bringing her new boyfriend out to meet you guys down the pub, and she brought in a severely obese, sweaty guy who wore sovereign rings and medallions, but despite all this he was the perfect gent, pulling out the chair for her, buying you all drinks, telling amusing stories, would you still be impressed with her choice? CoolSmileyGirl knows what Im talkin about (hell why are her posts so maligned? The girl talks sense!)

Yes, I am single and have been for about 3 months (it wasnt a serious thing, one I was with before we were just messin about really, and what with my disastrous working hours it wasnt like we even seen each other bar on Saturday night). But Id rather be single and attemtping to better myself with something decent than attached to some awful lookin yoke and being the butt of other peoples jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Shut it everyone,

the OP is a ****ing hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Yes, I am single. But Id rather be single and attemtping to better myself with something decent than attached to some awful lookin yoke and being the butt of other peoples jokes.
    The person you choose to be with doesn't better you as a person!
    If my friend was in the situation you described and was happy & he was a nice decent guy who treated her well & they had good chemistry, then i'd be chuffed for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I just realised how much I hate the word 'bird'...almost as much as the word 'met'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good luck finding that supermodel wife you're after OP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

Sorry in advance for the longish reply, there's a point to it I promise :)

A couple of years ago I was at a concert and two rows ahead of us sat a couple (early-mid 20's I'd guess) She was good looking but her bf was very disfigured from what I can only can think was a fire. He had no hair and his face and arms looked like they were the result of skin grafting. It was almost painful to watch this guy because you knew that was probably the best he could ever look and just thankful to be alive. And yet you could tell from the body language that she adored him and saw the man for who he was inside.

It got me to thinking about what love really is and that I would never want a relationship based on looks because you never know what the future holds, ya know? Sure it's natural to need that first attraction at the start but ppl change as they get older anyway so after a while looks don't seem to matter as much and we look at someone differently once we get to know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Maybe the people with ugly birds are ugly themselves and sticking to their respective dating leagues. Also you know what they say about fat chicks, "more cushion for the pushin' " Nothing is worse though than when you are clubbing and some ugly wan will start trying to dance with you. They obviously misconstrue my stares of disgust for gazing eyes of love. An adonis like myself though wouldn't go out with such girls though. Standards to keep, sorry boards.ie ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if one of me mates was wit a munter, i'd presume it wasnt serious and hes just gonna get his use outta her then dump her. but if he stayed wit her longer, i'd hav to presume she's either got one hell of a personaity or is unreal in the sack.

either way, i'd never really feel for happy for him. i'd always be thinkin in the back of me head that he could do better!

i see girls every day that are done up and look nice. however, if u dressed them like some of these girls, like the one the OP mentioned, they'd be in bits! if a girl wants to be good lookin, its not hard, providin shes not a chunker. bitta make-up, nice clothes, fashionable hairstyle and hey presto, YOU'RE DECENT!

Goin back to the one from the bus. Maybe she used to do herself up til she got a fella, then let herself go....or....maybe she can suck a dick! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

The person you choose to be with doesn't better you as a person!

Does it not?

My friend is currently going out with a cracker, and shes bang on to boot. Before her, he was an alcoholic, drunk every night. He was addicted to gambling. He was doing acid, ecstasy or coke roughly 3-4 times in an average week. At one point he ended up stealing to fund his drinking. Hes my best mate but it got to the point where I wouldnt leave money lying around if he was in the gaff, he was gettin into a right downward spiral. Since he met her, hes totally knocked the gambling on the head (amazing- Ive been telling him since the age of 15 that the only people rich from gambling are Paddy Power and William Hill. Hes with a bird 2 minutes who presumably tells him the same and hes off it for good), largely restricts the drug use to the odd dance events and such and hes drinking less (like myself and everyone else, he drinks alot on a night out, but hes largely quit the fcuked up 24/7 life he used to have). So Id hardly think you can say she hasnt bettered him somewhat.

Mind you, when he inevitably fcuks it all up he will be back to his old ways again.
    TomCo, D- Generate, CoolSmileyGirl, The B Man after a shaky start this thread is finally starting to become sensible :)

D-Generate wrote:
    Nothing is worse though than when you are clubbing and some ugly wan will start trying to dance with you.

Particularly on the dancefloor if they mistake the lyrics of a song being played as somehow being in relation to them. Some arse bangin into you shouting "DONT YA WISH YOUR GIRL-FRIEND WAS HOT LIKE ME?!?!"

Your not hot darlin, your just overheated and sweating profusely.

Another awful one is when someone puts on James Blunt on the jukebox and the pissed fat oul ones think Your Beautiful was written about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Yeha you shouldn't really give a sh1t what your mates think of someone your goin out with. But to awnser your question the reason a fella would go out with an ugly bird is because real beauty is on the inside, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you can't judge a book by its cover...and the world has suddenly turned into a giant green M & M and you're living in a land of make believe, with elves and fairies and little frogs with funny green hats. In general the reason someone would be going out with an ugly person is because they are ugly themselves or thats just the best they could do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ahhhhhh, a repetitive thread. This same topic keeps raising its ugly head (oh, excuse the pun), week after week and month after month. There's even another thread that essentially repeats this one running right now. OK, must repeat my position, as usual, just like an advertiser that repeats its message over and over again? All people are unique, no matter their sex, race, colour, religion, national origin, etc., etc. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." One person's princess is another's witch, as well as one person's prince is another's frog. Beauty is not just skin deep, personality and other things that make us unique are important. None of this that I repeat month after month will change anyone's mind, so why bother? Why does anyone bother?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

maybe she used to be hot and just got into the 'comfort zone' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think the obvious answer is ugly island.

Ugly people, show a bit of respect and don't make us look at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

D-Generate wrote:
    Maybe the people with ugly birds are ugly themselves and sticking to their respective dating leagues. Also you know what they say about fat chicks, "more cushion for the pushin' "
    So they say, but when ya get a nice skinny girl you can get buried to the hilt! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

OP, what you mightn't find attractive other people will. Did you ever stop and think maybe that these ''ugly'' [although there is no such thing] girls that you've seen might think that they are beautiful naturally without the need to hide behind a mask of makeup. God, :rolleyes: I had that phrase ''to take pride in how you look''
    I'd never want to be one of those girls that ''take pride in their apperance''. You should be happy about who you are and how you look naturally I know I am.

Did you ever consider that maybe someone might have saw you on a bus and thought the exact same thing.

What a stupid question why do men bother maybe they love ''them'' whichever girls you pick out to be ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

ThrownAway wrote:
    OP, what you mightn't find attractive other people will. Did you ever stop and think maybe that these ''ugly'' [although there is no such thing] girls that you've seen might think that they are beautiful naturally without the need to hide behind a mask of makeup. God, :rolleyes: I had that phrase ''to take pride in how you look''
    I'd never want to be one of those girls that ''take pride in their apperance''. You should be happy about who you are and how you look naturally I know I am.

Did you ever consider that maybe someone might have saw you on a bus and thought the exact same thing.

What a stupid question why do men bother maybe they love ''them'' whichever girls you pick out to be ugly.

well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

so do you do well with the "birds" then OP? you seem like such a charming guy.
    Tha Gopher wrote:
    Anyway, due to my retardedness it went tits up

im really not surprised

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement