Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What religion do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm a Pastafarian,it should be in the poll
    This^. Many of us worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

I think it's fair to say we're slowly destroying the Christian influences in this country.

Fantastic.

They are already well destroyed at this stage and thank GOD for that!!
    Agh Jesus Christ did I just say GOD? damn you Christian influences! I think we are going to have to find someone else to thank from now on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

paddymick wrote: »
    They are already well destroyed at this stage and thank GOD for that!!
    Agh Jesus Christ did I just say GOD? damn you Christian influences now we are going to have to find someone else to thank from now on...
    It should be ok to say "Thank god" I mean she did some good stuff too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

RichieC wrote: »
    I think it was a joke... you know the whole Muslim walking through Belfast when a chaps asks him if he was catholic or protestant and he says "Muslim" but the man says says "yea but catholic Muslim or protestant Muslim"?

Ha, hadn't heard that one. I heard a slight alternative (where the guy says he's muslim, and a Jew says 'this must be my lucky day' or something like that). I think I missed Keith's true meaning, judging from his reply, but in my defense I have known a Jew who called herself a Jewish atheist. Culturally Jewish, but doesn't believe in god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ha, hadn't heard that one. I heard a slight alternative (where the guy says he's muslim, and a Jew says 'this must be my lucky day' or something like that). I think I missed Keith's true meaning, judging from his reply, but in my defense I have known a Jew who called herself a Jewish atheist. Culturally Jewish, but doesn't believe in god.

Judaism is different in that if a person has a Jewish mother (the father can be of any faith), they are considered Jewish, even if they don't believe in God. So in a way it is an ethnicity and a religion, which can't be said of Catholicism or Protestantism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

How does that work now? Do you mean you're culturally protestant, but religiously atheist?

I am a kind of catholic atheist, I go to the ceremonies when I have to and live the tradition, but I believe none of it.

A book I am reading at the moment Stephen Pinker (a famous academic) describes himself as a Jewish atheist.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Judaism is different in that if a person has a Jewish mother (the father can be of any faith), they are considered Jewish, even if they don't believe in God. So in a way it is an ethnicity and a religion, which can't be said of Catholicism or Protestantism.

Oh yeah, I've heard it be described as an ethnicity/religion before. I thought maybe atheist unionists of the protestant tradition might feel the same about protestantism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

so going by your poll order you think there are more jews than catholics in Ireland :confused:

Oh yeah, I've heard it be described as an ethnicity/religion before. I thought maybe atheist unionists of the protestant tradition might feel the same about protestantism.

On the assumption you are a catholic by nature of your birth in Ireland, do you go to funerals weddings christenings did you make your comfo communion, did that church have any influence on you growing up??

Would it have fed into your life experience and culture, you find it has, you don't have to believe it, but it is part of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Roman Catholic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I am a Jehovah's suspect

Yeah, well NI may be an exception to the rule, as was the rest of Ireland at one stage!

44leto wrote: »
    How does that work now? Do you mean you're culturally protestant, but religiously atheist?

I am a kind of catholic atheist, I go to the ceremonies when I have to and live the tradition, but I believe none of it.

A book I am reading at the moment Stephen Pinker (a famous academic) describes himself as a Jewish atheist.

I go to weddings, funerals etc and always find myself in awe of the mass delusional hysterics. How can so many intelligent people actually believe some of the stuff that is said?
    Saying that, I completely understand peoples need for faith. At the end of the day we are all just organic matter.

On the assumption you are a catholic by nature of your birth in Ireland, do you go to funerals weddings christenings did you make your comfo communion, did that church have any influence on you growing up??

Would it have fed into your life experience and culture, you find it has, you don't have to believe it, but it is part of you.

I think it has to in a way. I notice the strength of people's reactions towards Catholicism on threads such as this, which would indicate that it had an impact, even if people feel it was a bad one overall. Many Catholics have had a positive impact on Ireland, however the traditional, clerical church authorities and structure got an awful lot of things wrong and is now paying the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

In case anyone didn't know I'm a Christian, which essentially means that I believe that Jesus rescued me from the penalty of sin and now I have a new life and a new start with God. I strive to live as God would want me to in the here and now and that we can understand more and more about Him through His word in Scripture, and I believe that in due course Jesus will return to judge. Those who believe and trust in Him will be saved and have eternal life, those who reject Him will be condemned.

Denomination wise I go to an evangelical Church of England church at the moment.

Oh definitely. I do the whole funerals/christenings/weddings thing and was even talked into becoming a godparent (a long time ago), so it has without doubt influenced who I am, and continues to do so (mainly as a cultural force that I would be philosophically opposed to).

I think for most people, though, defining yourself as Catholic/protestant/jewish in terms of an ethnicity type thing identifies some form of positive association, which I wouldn't share with my Catholic upbringing.

Oh definitely. I do the whole funerals/christenings/weddings thing and was even talked into becoming a godparent (a long time ago), so it has without doubt influenced who I am, and continues to do so (mainly as a cultural force that I would be philosophically opposed to).

I think for most people, though, defining yourself as Catholic/protestant/jewish in terms of an ethnicity type thing identifies some form of positive association, which I wouldn't share with my Catholic upbringing.

I agree you can't ethnically be a religion but culturally you can be, that is why I feel comfortable terming myself a catholic atheist. I have 2 god children and I stood on the alter and rejected satan, ufoS, Loch ness monsters and just replied to each, I do.

I never would have been anal and said NAH I am not going to be a god parent because I am an atheist. Catholicism is a focus for ceremony in Ireland. A christening is wellcoming a baby into the family, a wedding and funeral are other ceremonies. These day the ceremony has become more important then the religious aspect of these events. Its part of our culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

:) Jesus loves you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Given that census results are due out soon, it'd be interesting to see what religions or lack thereof people support on this forum.

Of course, there are thousands of branches within some religions like Christianity, so it's probably better to group them all together...more or less the same thing when it boils down to it.

Plus, here would be better than A&A or Christianity forum to get a more general opinion.

This thread need not descend into sectarianism, just a vote :-P

Anyway, I'd be ticking the atheist box. :D
    No you wouldnt. There isnt one.

I agree you can't ethnically be a religion but culturally you can be, that is why I feel comfortable terming myself a catholic atheist. I have 2 god children and I stood on the alter and rejected satan, ufoS, Loch ness monsters and just replied to each, I do.

I'm not sure if you think I have a problem with people terming themselves this way. I don't, I was merely curious.
    I never would have been anal and said NAH I am not going to be a god parent because I am an atheist. Catholicism is a focus for ceremony in Ireland. A christening is wellcoming a baby into the family, a wedding and funeral are other ceremonies. These day the ceremony has become more important then the religious aspect of these events. Its part of our culture.

Yeah, I'd agree, and that was part of my reasoning for accepting. Another was that I felt I could offer a fairly good educational guidance to the kid once they grow up if they have any questions, which I'd try and answer objectively.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So I don't become a serial killer.
    Like that god fella?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

come on the jews show your self i want your jew gold all for my self muhhahahahahha

I don't have one of them i was baptized only to get me into school but that means nothing as i never connected and ran away from the preast ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Pagan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Protestant Atheist.
    You would be ya fecker. :D "I don't believe in god, but my non belief in my god is better than your non belief in yours". Like the old joke where a Chinese bloke is stopped by a paramilitary roadblock. "I'm a Buddhist"... "Aye but are ye a Protestant Buddhist or a Catholic one?".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

The one true faith, The Western Branch of American Reformed Presbylutheranism!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

philologos wrote: »
    In case anyone didn't know I'm a Christian, which essentially means that I believe that Jesus rescued me from the penalty of sin and now I have a new life and a new start with God. I strive to live as God would want me to in the here and now and that we can understand more and more about Him through His word in Scripture, and I believe that in due course Jesus will return to judge. Those who believe and trust in Him will be saved and have eternal life, those who reject Him will be condemned.

Denomination wise I go to an evangelical Church of England church at the moment.

Thought so.

Sofaspud wrote: »
    The one true faith, The Western Branch of American Reformed Presbylutheranism!

I almost choked on my glass of wine. gimme scientology anyday lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Baptised Roman catholic, atheist now with a smattering of agnostic. Of course the latter two are separate - why would anyone say they're the same? Atheist - non believer, agnostic - not sure.

I'd still go to church weddings and christenings though - it's their day, not mine. Can't see how that's hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Where's the Pastafarianism option? You are oppressing me you fascist racist discriminator!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Theres loads of them including my significant other. My wife and daughters are Jewish, but only when it comes to tradition (Very important is tradition.).

Advertisement