Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new powers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

bluetop wrote: »
    the first thing that will happen is one of the Inspectors will stand up and make an announcement, dont ask questions about the following radios, powers, we know as much as you do and its been asked before many times, try and come up with new questions. yet that are really the only questions we need answered why have we done the training and still not got them, why have we not been issued with radios as part of our equipment despite there been an abundance of them, at the end of the day regardless of what any person on here or in any station think, we are a rank under the Garda Siochana act 2005 and as such should be given personal issue radios, and not pool ones that you spend half the night looking for a working one, under health & Safety it should come as part of your PPE.

i would suggest to people attending if they do say the above make a point of bringing it up at each table, if every table brings it up and nothing else then they will have to do something, if people sit back and say nothing well then put up with the problems.

I can understand the fact people want / need the powers but why do people want a personal issue radio so badly? What's wrong with getting one at the start of your shift and returning it at the end?

For reserves it makes more sense to have a pool system. Otherwise there be 1000 radios used for a couple of hours a month and left in a locker for the remaining time?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

mfergus wrote: »
    I can understand the fact people want / need the powers but why do people want a personal issue radio so badly? What's wrong with getting one at the start of your shift and returning it at the end?

For reserves it makes more sense to have a pool system. Otherwise there be 1000 radios used for a couple of hours a month and left in a locker for the remaining time?

In some cases, a certain number of radios are distributed to each unit to be given to reserves (1 radio per unit is the norm in majority of the stations that are using this system).
    But what happens on a Saturday night when more than one reserve turns up?
    There are not enough radios to go around and let me tell you that those radios are needed indeed when you're out on the beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Borrow one from a member on station duty. No reason why every reserve should have a personal radio for a couple of hours a week max.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

mfergus wrote: »

first off there are roughly 3000 radios left in boxes doing nothing so why not issue them same way as your other PPE is issued, they they prefer to leave them doing diddly squat then issue them, same could be said about your uniform, cuffs, pepper spray, batton, so whats the difference, and as one person has said trying to get a raidio if there is a few GR on at the same time is like trying to find a needle, and as i have been told by the skipper on many occasions the person you get a loan of a radio is responsible for it hence the reluctance to share

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

first off there are roughly 3000 radios left in boxes doing nothing so why not issue them same way as your other PPE is issued, they they prefer to leave them doing diddly squat then issue them, same could be said about your uniform, cuffs, pepper spray, batton, so whats the difference, and as one person has said trying to get a raidio if there is a few GR on at the same time is like trying to find a needle, and as i have been told by the skipper on many occasions the person you get a loan of a radio is responsible for it hence the reluctance to share

This just highlights the whole haphazard approach to the Reserves. It's not going to change unless Reserve members make it change.

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    This just highlights the whole haphazard approach to the Reserves. It's not going to change unless Reserve members make it change.

Its all very well going to these meetings, the whole idea of them is to air your view or the views they want you to air, but we can all change this we have a chance now, but we must all work together to achieve this, there is 1400 approx now attested reserves, lets not stick our heads in the sand anymore lets tell them what they dont want to hear.

we need a fit for purpose reserve force that can actually make a difference and not be led by the hand, although the Uk community police have no powers they have got independent patrol, we have an extra bit more than they have, we have done our PO training which they dont.

so what we need is

Radios

Our PO Powers

independent patrol would be great and would free up us having to be (Babysat) as the GRA would call it.

if everyone stick together and says that who knows what we would get, maybe nothing but its worth a try is it not.

well guys and gals the first of the meetings is on Saturday between 10am & 1pm in westmanstown. now its time to either put up or shut up, this is your time to have your say, as i have said 90% of people will sit there and act if everything is great and say nothing, if this is what you intend doing pointless going as if you have gone to the previous ones this is going to be no different, same crap different date you and only you can make changes but in order to do that you have to voice your opinion on the day. i wish you all luck with whatever you do remember if you sit there and say nothing then nothing is likely to change, it still might not change if you do say something that is the chance we all take, we take a risk every time we put our gear on going out on beat or what ever, be strong say your piece or elect someone at your table that is willing to speak for your table.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Any news how meeting on Saturday went??

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

To all,

There is a poll taking place on the Garda Recruitment side called "the recruitment process.

Cast your vote if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    Any news how meeting on Saturday went??

they have all been full of fire and brimstone from what I have heard

first step to change

• Advertisement

Scouser wrote: »
    they have all been full of fire and brimstone from what I have heard

first step to change

Dont think i will hold my breath to the front they are full of fire, but the people who are supposed to be overseeing the reserves in the park will soon pour cold water on that.

Is there going to be an announcement about our powers on the 8th Sep when the new recruits startin Templemore ??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

Is there going to be an announcement about our powers on the 8th Sep when the new recruits startin Templemore ??

Have you heard something or is it just hearsay??

Not heard anything, but at a recent meeting we were told the powers were imminent and with new recruits going in to Templemore, what a perfect opportunity to release them to us

Not heard anything, but at a recent meeting we were told the powers were imminent and with new recruits going in to Templemore, what a perfect opportunity to release them to us

Lets keep the fingers crossed on this one. Would be nice to finally be able to feel as if you are making a contribution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

If you did the up skill course, you should know.

In fairness to call it 'a course' is a bit of a joke, more of a day out in Templemore if truth be told.

gilly2308 wrote: »
    In fairness to call it 'a course' is a bit of a joke, more of a day out in Templemore if truth be told.

I thought it was very informative , gave us a better idea as to when we should use the new powers and more importantly when we should exercise discretion. My brother was on a different day and he found it the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

tg123 wrote: »
    I thought it was very informative , gave us a better idea as to when we should use the new powers and more importantly when we should exercise discretion. My brother was on a different day and he found it the same .

Have to agree with.gilly 2308 on this, it could have been sent to us all on a PDF. The final advice given ,about using our new powers, when we get them, was truly bizarre!!

Have to agree with.gilly 2308 on this, it could have been sent to us all on a PDF. The final advice given ,about using our new powers, when we get them, was truly bizarre!!

Ha ha ha ha you just have to love them now when you get your powers "dont" use them let the full timers do the work pmsl great advice from the team leaders. "Not"

Ha ha ha ha you just have to love them now when you get your powers "dont" use them let the full timers do the work pmsl great advice from the team leaders. "Not"

I thought it was a sensible piece of advice , after all if you make the arrest you need to be prepared to go to court. Made sense to me . My brother was involved in a couple of incidents and had to take the time out of work to attend as a witness. So the instructors are highlighting the pit falls for those Reserves who make an arrest when it may be a more sensible approach to let the full time member do it. Of course this does not take into account a situation where each member has a prisoner , you may have no choice in the matter.

• Advertisement

I thought it was a sensible piece of advice , after all if you make the arrest you need to be prepared to go to court. Made sense to me . My brother was involved in a couple of incidents and had to take the time out of work to attend as a witness. So the instructors are highlighting the pit falls for those Reserves who make an arrest when it may be a more sensible approach to let the full time member do it. Of course this does not take into account a situation where each member has a prisoner , you may have no choice in the matter.

You knew when you signed up that you might have to go to court, its all part and parcel of what you do, its also another reason the FT dont want reserves with them as they cant do nothing, if the powers were granted then you could do your bit as well and not just sit pretty in yellow in the back of the car, or walk around like what was it the GRA said ...... ohh yes a scarecrow and having to be babysat.

you are either in it to pull your weight and take your duties seriously or standby and let others do all the work, which is the main reason the garda reserves dont work, its like having your cake and eating it.

What's the odds that in three or four years time they will finally decide to release these powers to Reserves, but firstly they will decide that all Reserves need to go back down to Templemore for a refresher course. It may be laughable, but sadly not beyond the realms of possibility

You knew when you signed up that you might have to go to court, its all part and parcel of what you do, its also another reason the FT dont want reserves with them as they cant do nothing, if the powers were granted then you could do your bit as well and not just sit pretty in yellow in the back of the car, or walk around like what was it the GRA said ...... ohh yes a scarecrow and having to be babysat.

you are either in it to pull your weight and take your duties seriously or standby and let others do all the work, which is the main reason the garda reserves dont work, its like having your cake and eating it.

Fair point bluetop and in all fairness I can't argue with most of what you say, however the fact that we have to be 'babysat' or are seen as 'scarecrows' by some full-timers is not our fault, it's the fault of spineless, gutless management who don't have the will or the balls to give the Garda Reserve the teeth it deserves. I have been saying for years that the Garda Reserve serves little or no purpose in it's present guise, so either give us proper responsibilities and fit for purpose powers, or scrap the Reserve altogether.
    A proper two year training programme should be brought in, something akin to the Special Constabulary where after two years of intense monitoring and training you must have attained IPS (Independent Patrol Status), otherwise you're kicked out. You would then up with well trained dedicated Reserves who are an actual asset to the Gardai, rather than the current situation of 1300 poorly trained Reserves, only half of whom actually turn up with any regularity, and the other half who are just totally disillusioned with the the whole situation. The current situation is not of our making, but we are being hung out to dry by totally inept management and the GRA who will never accept the Reserve, and only grudgingly accept us once we have little or no powers or responsibilities.

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Fair point bluetop and in all fairness I can't argue with most of what you say, however the fact that we have to be 'babysat' or are seen as 'scarecrows' by some full-timers is not our fault, it's the fault of spineless, gutless management who don't have the will or the balls to give the Garda Reserve the teeth it deserves. I have been saying for years that the Garda Reserve serves little or no purpose in it's present guise, so either give us proper responsibilities and fit for purpose powers, or scrap the Reserve altogether.
    A proper two year training programme should be brought in, something akin to the Special Constabulary where after two years of intense monitoring and training you must have attained IPS (Independent Patrol Status), otherwise you're kicked out. You would then up with well trained dedicated Reserves who are an actual asset to the Gardai, rather than the current situation of 1300 poorly trained Reserves, only half of whom actually turn up with any regularity, and the other half who are just totally disillusioned with the the whole situation. The current situation is not of our making, but we are being hung out to dry by totally inept management and the GRA who will never accept the Reserve, and only grudgingly accept us once we have little or no powers or responsibilities.

All good points and one would expect that senior managers took some of the comments made at the recent Reserve meetings back to the Commissioner. Who knows she may even be listening to her son who is a current serving reserve.

All good points and one would expect that senior managers took some of the comments made at the recent Reserve meetings back to the Commissioner. Who knows she may even be listening to her son who is a current serving reserve.

Now you are making me laugh, how long are you a reserve member if you dont mind me asking, if the last meeting are anything like the ones years ago they will come and go, the papers written on might make good bedding for the dog after its been shredded.

Now you are making me laugh, how long are you a reserve member if you dont mind me asking, if the last meeting are anything like the ones years ago they will come and go, the papers written on might make good bedding for the dog after its been shredded.

Bluetop not that it makes a difference to the validity of my opinion my brother and I joined about six years ago. We can all be negative about so many things with regard to the reserve but I tend to keep a positive outlook and this reflects in the way I carry out my duties.
    Yes it is frustrating at times but then the option for those who are unhappy is to resign. I myself take the view that I value the experience and like my brother who will be joining the regular next Monday I will be using the time to gain as much experience as I can so that when I finish my education I will apply and fingers crossed get the opportunity to join the regular.

I see the Commissioner and Justice Minister were in Templemore today to welcome the new recruits.
    There is nothing in the media about us getting our new power.
    We will never see them id say at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I see the Commissioner and Justice Minister were in Templemore today to welcome the new recruits.
    There is nothing in the media about us getting our new power.
    We will never see them id say at this stage.

Not all reserves out there are ready emotionally for this HUGE step-up in responsbility. You give powers to one, you give to all. When those who are not ready don't jump in and get stuck in when needed, a sh!t-storm will follow.

It would be nice for those who are ready in every way to know when this will happen, but I know more than a few who breath a sigh of relief with each passing day they don't have them.

Wonder will everyone have to do some refresher, maybe with their own local CPD-instructor or if that could be possible for those who feel they themselves are not ready.
    Would the local CPD-instructor be able to assist with this I wonder,
    kerry4sam

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-11-05a.284&s=garda+reserve

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I am informed by the Commissioner that the training of all the Garda Reserve in the new powers will be completed shortly.

Longest training course i have ever heard. Two years and still going...........................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-11-05a.284&s=garda+reserve

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I am informed by the Commissioner that the training of all the Garda Reserve in the new powers will be completed shortly.

Longest training course i have ever heard. Two years and still going...........................

It could be twenty years and it will still be going. Like anything in the country someone has to get seriously injured or killed before any changes are made.

Advertisement