Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cant Irish Radio Stations Just play music

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Internet stations don't have the same costs as broadcast stations, hence less need for intrusive ads.

exactly. i'm well aware of that. but having them when they're is a huge choice of them could be detrimental anyway.
    Have you ever listened to the free version of Spotify?

i have. i don't count it for the purposes of this discussion as its simply a music listening service and not an actual internet radio station though

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The Best i listened to radio without any ads was one day i tuned to 105.2 on my car radio.

it did not show up as phantom but just 105.2

It was playing a good song so left it on. ..... it then kept playing good music so just kept it. I noticed there were no ads, no promos, no presenters , no nothing !

So i Google and see phantom is gone. ... it was like that for about 2 weeks and i was more than happy with that station just playing music. I never changed it !

Until one day txfm came alive and the dream was gone !

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

L1011 wrote: »
    Also, the majority of time is not and never has been dedicated to adverts - there are extremely strict BAI rules on ad percentages. Something the US doesn't have, by the way. Radio stations in the US also don't have to pay music rights and the vast bulk of internet radio stations don't pay them either - albeit they legally do have to.

you can't have more than 10 minutes of ads per hour. Not one second more. I maybe mistaken but i don't think it's a BAI regulation. I'm 90% certain its a European Law.

So those saying that the majority of air time is going to ads etc. are talking nonsense. Also you're correct, Nova and many other stations are making a loss and constantly trying to correct it. All those that set up around Celtic Tiger time Nova, 4fm, Sunshine etc) completely lost the run of themselves. Some stations found the price of equipment couldn't be high enough and all of those stations are suffering to this day trying to clear the debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I have a Citroen DS with a turntable in the back seat

Just shows how good the suspension is in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Fran1985 wrote: »
    you can't have more than 10 minutes of ads per hour. Not one second more. I maybe mistaken but i don't think it's a BAI regulation. I'm 90% certain its a European Law.

So those saying that the majority of air time is going to ads etc. are talking nonsense. Also you're correct, Nova and many other stations are making a loss and constantly trying to correct it. All those that set up around Celtic Tiger time Nova, 4fm, Sunshine etc) completely lost the run of themselves. Some stations found the price of equipment couldn't be high enough and all of those stations are suffering to this day trying to clear the debts.

4FM started in February 2009 and Radio Nova started in September 2010, well into the recession, so I don't know why they would lose the run of themselves, if they did.

I think the answer to the question posed by the OP is twofold. As regards the ads, the terrestrial stations need some way of making money. After all, they don't get the proceeds of the TV license, unlike RTE.

As regards the talk element, as some have said already, there is a BAI requirement for 20% talk content in the case of many stations. Some have got derogations from this rule such as TXFM and, if I'm not mistaken, Sunshine 106.8. You will notice that there is much more music and less talk overall in these stations. When there is talk in such stations, well TXFM certainly, it tends to be connected to the kind of station that it is.

I think the trick is for terrestrial stations to use more imagination in their programming within the parameters they have to stay within. Maybe more imagination in their music mix, more spaced out ads and, finally, intelligent talk content that is more relevant to that type of station. Maybe it is rocket science - I'm not the expert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

If I hear Jenny Greene on the Nicky Byrne show say 'what is it' one more time Iam going to jump off a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Fran1985 wrote: »

It feels like more than 10 minutes on Newstalk Breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

come off it. apart from the BBC, and maybe the odd community station and the pirates over there, the rest have little to offer. i know, as i've listened to a a hell of a lot of them. my original post was to counter the suggestion of having something like capital fm over here, the capital fm of old maybe but not the one that is a shadow of its former self.

Agree and the stats back this up:

Capital FM have rotated the same 182 songs over the last 30 days !, the ratio of total tracks to unique tracks is 2% !

Heart played a total of 793 unique tracks over the last 30 days,Magic was a bit better with 1383 unique tracks.

Compare these numbers to BBC6, 4847 unique tracks,69% ratio, BBC 2 with 4183 and BBC Radio 1 with 3608 unique tracks- 2FM take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

they all ready are. but those companies are big networks with lots of internet channels. lots of listeners meaning lots of donations, premium products such as the channels being add free if you sign up for a premium account. spotify is irrelevant.
    soc160 wrote: »
    We know they are there but they only last 30 seconds, most people leave them playing.

most don't and you know it, if they can try get around them they will

its not naive at all. internet stations being bought out? yeah right. the big networks maybe, but the average ones, very much doubt it. bought out by someone just to cover the cost? lol. not going to happen. the majority of them are hoby stations, not worth hardly anything bar being a good listen to those who listen to them.

yeah, because of the huge costs involved meaning they need adds. realistically they're isn't as much of a choice of television and terrestrial radio stations as they're is internet stations. they with little to hardly any costs and being in large numbers means plenty of stations to choose from meaning if one doesn't wish for adds they go somewhere else. this is why the banner text and website banners and other similar forms of advertising along with listener donations and for the big networks premium accounts meaning the channels add free for a payment per month or per year will be the way to go.

Well, generally if a strand of media becomes more popular it will be bought out and turned into a cash cow. Its happened for a very long time, I mean look at Blogs being bought out, there are thousands, but the good ones, the ones that have a following are the ones being bought out, not the smaller ones that no one cares about, but look if these stations dont get listeners they wont be affected, unless there is a crackdown and copyright on the use of music. As it stands they are a nice alternative to what we have here but are not really all the viable to people across the whole country.

The Spotify reference is more so pointing towards the fact that people are quite happy to use a free service and put up with the ad's every now and again.

Anyway this is gone away from the opening point, depending on where you are in the country and how much accsess you have then you can get a decent amount of music, albeit not all the time but in Dublin you can get a decent amount per hour in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Infoanon wrote: »
    Agree and the stats back this up:

Capital FM have rotated the same 182 songs over the last 30 days !, the ratio of total tracks to unique tracks is 2% !

Heart played a total of 793 unique tracks over the last 30 days,Magic was a bit better with 1383 unique tracks.

Compare these numbers to BBC6, 4847 unique tracks,69% ratio, BBC 2 with 4183 and BBC Radio 1 with 3608 unique tracks- 2FM take note.

Oh that's interesting, where are you able to get those figures, are they publicised, any for Irish stations.

That seems like a healthy enough rotation across 6 stations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

4FM started in February 2009 and Radio Nova started in September 2010, well into the recession, so I don't know why they would lose the run of themselves, if they did.!

I may have been harsh on nova but 4fm certainly did. Their offices and staff level on launch were a sight to behold. Theyve still got nice offices only much much smaller. As are their staff numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Carson10 wrote: »
    If I hear Jenny Greene on the Nicky Byrne show say 'what is it' one more time Iam going to jump off a bridge.

I love that catch phrase... I use it all the time now. Seriously.

Whatttt isssittttt?

Advertisement