Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cant Irish Radio Stations Just play music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captian Swashbuckle

Three letters.

B.A.I.

Blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Raidio Na Life (106.4) or Lyric FM. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I listen to BBC6 all the time at home.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that it shows up the bland, formulaic nature of so many Irish radio stations whenever I'm driving somewhere in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

It's commercial radio lads. They'd play Barney The Dinosaur on 24 hour loop if that's what people wanted and if it delivered more advertising cash.

People want chat between the songs, people want the hits on heavy rotation. I don't like it myself but that's just the way of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

sammy37 wrote: »
    This drives me mad too the endless chat and ads on the radio. If i want news and chat i can tune into radio 1 and newstalk which cater for this but now all the radio stations are at it. 2fm should be a music station and nothing else. Why do they have Tubridy, Byrne and Hayes talking endless drivel i dont know. The same with Today fm with Darcy.

I wonder is it their way of cutting down on paying music royalties? I can't find the current prices online but I know it is pricey.
    I'll remove my tin hat now :pac:
    You cant turn on my local station radio Kerry at the moment especially on the run up to Xmas with adverts. It seems nearly half their output now is either adverts or inane quizzes. Thank god I have an internet radio. Now if only it would work in the car!

Maybe the radio stations really need the Christmas advertising revenue to stay afloat? I know for some of the stations money can be quite tight.

Perhaps Santa will get you a smartphone with a good data plan and an in-car fm broadcaster ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

It's commercial radio lads. They'd play Barney The Dinosaur on 24 hour loop if that's what people wanted and if it delivered more advertising cash.

People want chat between the songs, people want the hits on heavy rotation. I don't like it myself but that's just the way of it.
    But i dont think people want to listen to chat on every radio station.The lack of choice is the problem unless i want to listen to Spin sw playing the same songs on a loop all day long what irish music station is there to listen to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

2 years ago i got a car stereo with a USB port and a 64gb micro drive. Whole thing cost less than €100 and haven't listened to the radio since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Talk to Jooooooe,all the talk one wants&more,joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

The one station that could go someway to solving the problem of this thread is 2FM.
    Its not as if the station is going anywhere in its current status.
    Remodel 2FM as an almost entire music station.
    3 news and sport bulletins per day or something. People are less and less reliant on the radio for news nowadays so why does every station need news every hour.
    A new 2FM could play music all the time with just ad breaks and djs introducing the music, not telling listeners about their weekend, asking listeners to text in what they're favourite humming noise is etc.

Have the different shows playing different genres. One presenter focus on chart, next on dance, next on classic rock etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

it's easy to saybuy a cd/has your car an aux?
    but the question of why ireland has crap generic radio is a good one.

most of the small local stations are probably owned by consortiums. the national radio is what it is. 2 fm needs to be blown out of the water, but that will never happen.
    lyric fm is the only decent thing rte gives us. knowledgeable presenters who don't seem to mind shutting up and playing music.

i thought 4fm would be okay. but that's not happening. it seems to be the graveyard for the old dead dj's of 2fm from way back. god help us.

In defence of 4fm at least they dont repeat the same stuff all day.
    They have a no repeat 7am-7pm policy which at least results in some variety

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The reason for all the talk is the 20% news and current affairs remit of all FM licenses. So you end up with news every 30 mins and inane natter, basically any speech content at all that can be classed under the 20% rule (questionable as how relevant much of the output may be).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kensington wrote: »
    The reason for all the talk is the 20% news and current affairs remit of all FM licenses. So you end up with news every 30 mins and inane natter, basically any speech content at all that can be classed under the 20% rule (questionable as how relevant much of the output may be).

Any idea the reason behind this? Can we have an frequency that plays 24hour news so we can scrap the news every hour? It's painful if you work somewhere with the radio on having 2 lines from each story repeated every hour.
    Why the hell do we need 20% talk? It's the reason I've given up on radio

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

soc160 wrote: »
    Not really sure what you mean the UK is a large market, admittedly I can only speak for the dublin market as I live there but assuming you mean most stations play the same music and have minimal talk is ridiculous, there are so many stations in the UK, based in different in locations so ita impossible to generalise and the UK is under a different duristicion
    come off it. apart from the BBC, and maybe the odd community station and the pirates over there, the rest have little to offer. i know, as i've listened to a a hell of a lot of them. my original post was to counter the suggestion of having something like capital fm over here, the capital fm of old maybe but not the one that is a shadow of its former self.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a problem with this... it's called greed. Radio Nova was good a few years ago and their motto was less talk more music, then they felt the sleeve of cash-notes regarding cost-price of ads and decided to forward more adverts between songs. this is what will kill a radio station in the end (more talk, less music).

No, its called existing. Greed doesn't come in to it - Radio Nova is still loss-making. It was significantly more loss making when it carried less ads.

Most recent-ish (less than 10 years) entrants to the market are losing money, either operationally or due to debt servicing costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

L1011 wrote: »
    No, its called existing. Greed doesn't come in to it - Radio Nova is still loss-making. It was significantly more loss making when it carried less ads.

Most recent-ish (less than 10 years) entrants to the market are losing money, either operationally or due to debt servicing costs.

It's not the listeners problem. It is greed in regards to saturating the air-wave with adverts to accumulate more profits. Same old sh!t.

What sort of person wants to flow on a frequency with abundant adverts ? folk will go elsewhere, it's as simple as that. Internet radio is the way to go for sure. When a radio-station turns into a talk-station then it's time to turn the dial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Carson10 wrote: »

RTE Radio 1 - need to live in South Dublin/Dalkey or be a Doctor.

What do ye think.?

I think this is the silliest thing I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

People seem to have forgotten that the OP is in the North West of Ireland and not Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

In all fairness, why do they call it a music-station if all they transmit is advertisements ? ie: more adverts - less music ?.

There is a problem with this... it's called greed. Radio Nova was good a few years ago and their motto was less talk more music, then they felt the sleeve of cash-notes regarding cost-price of ads and decided to forward more adverts between songs. this is what will kill a radio station in the end (more talk, less music).

With internet radio and such, these stations like Nova will decline and fall if they don't cop-on. Who wants to listen to the news every 30 minutes ? we already have many news-talk stations for the news. Advert after advert brainwashing you when all you want to listen to is a bit of nice music.

I fecked the TV in the skip years ago because of adverts, now I'll just use internet radio with no ads, happy days indeed.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Any idea the reason behind this? Can we have an frequency that plays 24hour news so we can scrap the news every hour? It's painful if you work somewhere with the radio on having 2 lines from each story repeated every hour.
    Why the hell do we need 20% talk? It's the reason I've given up on radio

Not as many people would be as pro-active as you to throw away their TV or Radio bong, most listeners to radio are passive, the people who write here are usually passionate about it and don't reflect the general listener. We only have two News stations though, they need news every hour to fill BAI requirments apparently, although they have changed those requirements for some stations in the last few years so it does but the whole point of them in doubt. These requirements are per station so you can't just have a station to make up the quota for every other one.

It's not the listeners problem. It is greed in regards to saturating the air-wave with adverts to accumulate more profits. Same old sh!t.

What sort of person wants to flow on a frequency with abundant adverts ? folk will go elsewhere, it's as simple as that. Internet radio is the way to go for sure. When a radio-station turns into a talk-station then it's time to turn the dial.

I wouldn't say greed, it is necessary to advertise, you might consume media from somewhere else but you are paying somewhere along the way, how else are they supposed to make money, its a free to air service they offer. Internet Radio will be subject to more and more advertising in time, many stations are run from bigger companies only a matter of time before they monetize them.

I'm not sure of the requirements, obviosuly there is no downward cap on adverts but I think stations have a cap on how many minutes they give to advertising each hour, may even be a BAI requirement regarding the amount of the time given to advertising per hour.

Most music stations in Dublin will play between 10-15 songs an hour outside of breakfast shows, Spin probably more given their remit. So that's roughly 45 minutes for music. So factor in advertising and news and its a healthy percentage I think.

Internet Radio will be subject to more and more advertising in time,

not advertisements as we know them. banners on the website, or some text as part of the metadata along with the song title. donations from listeners also or even some sponsorship where possible.
    many stations are run from bigger companies only a matter of time before they monetize them.

many terrestrial radio, stations yes. internet radio, not really, mostly hobby stations. the few big internet only companies have ways of getting advertising without having lots and lots of adds, as they know that people will turn off. they might have an add for another part of their product, but thats about it. anything else is to do with the website, or some text as part of the stream

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll be the listeners problem when they don't have stations to listen to.

If Nova cut the number of ads, they go out of business. There are no two ways about that. They don't have profits to "accumulate" - how you don't understand that astounds me.

• Advertisement

Internet Radio will be subject to more and more advertising in time,

not advertisements as we know them. banners on the website, or some text as part of the metadata along with the song title. donations from listeners also or even some sponsorship where possible.

many terrestrial radio, stations yes. internet radio, not really, mostly hobby stations. the few big internet only companies have ways of getting advertising without having lots and lots of adds, as they know that people will turn off. they might have an add for another part of their product, but thats about it. anything else is to do with the website, or some text as part of the stream

Ye, actually that is possible. Obviously the station wants to maximise their appeal so no ads would.be great, but I'd be surprised if there wernt more conventional audio ads, mainly because the advertisers will know that no one really pays attention to them, especially with apps like tune in giving you access to the stream without having to go to the website. I see it going more like Spotify with ads during the broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Sam Kade wrote: »
    My local radio station play the same songs every morning for months what ever is popular at the time :mad: A few years ago they were playing that stupid song when you hit me hit me hard and followed it up with another stupid song I wasn't expecting that.

Beat 102-103 by any chance? they have the same 4 songs on a loop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

L1011 wrote: »
    It'll be the listeners problem when they don't have stations to listen to.

If Nova cut the number of ads, they go out of business. There are no two ways about that. They don't have profits to "accumulate" - how you don't understand that astounds me.

Let me explain something to you... there are thousands and thousands of english radio stations out there to connect to. What I am saying is the fact of 'more talk' and less music regarding Irish stations, but I pop onto California radio, or Arizona stations in HD audio, so what's the point in listening to a bunch of gobsh!tes blabbering on all day about the weather or christmas ?.

A radio station of course needs adverts to accumulate profits, but when the majority of transmission is dedicated to adverts then that is the fault. Less folk tune in because blabber-mouths won't stop blabbering.

There are some excellent real radio stations out there in the wild with no ads as most folk know already. who really wants to hear about the presenter of a radio-show blabbering on about here and loyal listeners junk.

try this out if you like relaxing sounds. No ads thank feck... http://www.cafecody.com/

A radio station of course needs adverts to accumulate profits

You're still not getting this, are you?

Nova (The station in question here) doesn't have profits. It is losing money.

You can bash on all you want about "accumulating profits" but it just shows you don't have the vaguest idea what you're talking about. The radio industry in Ireland is only barely profitable as a whole in a good year; I'd suggest that in the past few years there's been a loss across the whole industry.

Also, the majority of time is not and never has been dedicated to adverts - there are extremely strict BAI rules on ad percentages. Something the US doesn't have, by the way. Radio stations in the US also don't have to pay music rights and the vast bulk of internet radio stations don't pay them either - albeit they legally do have to.

Ye, actually that is possible. Obviously the station wants to maximise their appeal so no ads would.be great, but I'd be surprised if there wernt more conventional audio ads, mainly because the advertisers will know that no one really pays attention to them, especially with apps like tune in giving you access to the stream without having to go to the website. I see it going more like Spotify with ads during the broadcast.

internet stations don't have audio adds during the broadcast because they know people will switch off, hence they don't have them, and have ways of having adds. they don't necessarily have to do them through the website. no point in advertisers looking for audio adds on internet radio if people don't listen to them, its money down the drain, hence they don't bother

internet stations don't have audio adds during the broadcast because they know people will switch off, hence they don't have them, and have ways of having adds. they don't necessarily have to do them through the website. no point in advertisers looking for audio adds on internet radio if people don't listen to them, its money down the drain, hence they don't bother

Ye as things stand thats how it works, it depends on whether internet radio becomes more popular. My thinking would be that if internet stations became more popular companies would try to make money out of it. Spotify being a prime example of something like that. Could just be a sponsorship, maybe one ad. Look at some podcasts now, getting sponsorship and placing sponsor plugs throughout. We know they are there but they only last 30 seconds, most people leave them playing.

I think its a bit naive to think that if it becomes more popular that companies wont try to cash in or bought out by someone willing to do that, even if its only to cover the cost of running the station. Lets not forget that the majority have put up with ads on terrestrial tv and radio for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Internet stations don't have the same costs as broadcast stations, hence less need for intrusive ads.

Have you ever listened to the free version of Spotify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I agree. I would like to see a station that plays good music. RTE1 has good music programmes but is not a music specialist station. 2FM is mostly pop orientated. Local rural stations play non-stop bad Irish country music of the worst kind. Other stations is nonstop depressing news of the worst kind. Irish water eternity! Surely, a station dedicated to good music is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

buy mp3 player

• Advertisement

Ye as things stand thats how it works, it depends on whether internet radio becomes more popular. My thinking would be that if internet stations became more popular companies would try to make money out of it. Spotify being a prime example of something like that.

they all ready are. but those companies are big networks with lots of internet channels. lots of listeners meaning lots of donations, premium products such as the channels being add free if you sign up for a premium account. spotify is irrelevant.
    We know they are there but they only last 30 seconds, most people leave them playing.

most don't and you know it, if they can try get around them they will
    I think its a bit naive to think that if it becomes more popular that companies wont try to cash in or bought out by someone willing to do that, even if its only to cover the cost of running the station.

its not naive at all. internet stations being bought out? yeah right. the big networks maybe, but the average ones, very much doubt it. bought out by someone just to cover the cost? lol. not going to happen. the majority of them are hoby stations, not worth hardly anything bar being a good listen to those who listen to them.
    Lets not forget that the majority have put up with ads on terrestrial tv and radio for a very long time.

yeah, because of the huge costs involved meaning they need adds. realistically they're isn't as much of a choice of television and terrestrial radio stations as they're is internet stations. they with little to hardly any costs and being in large numbers means plenty of stations to choose from meaning if one doesn't wish for adds they go somewhere else. this is why the banner text and website banners and other similar forms of advertising along with listener donations and for the big networks premium accounts meaning the channels add free for a payment per month or per year will be the way to go.

Advertisement