Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man who threw friendly snowball at policewoman charged with common assault.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

I got pelted by one in the eye, was swollen for ages...friendly snowball? pah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sure isn't throwing a snowball always 'We're just havin a laugh like'

Gang pelting house windows all the way up the road on their way home at 3am?

'We're just havin a laugh like'

Lads pelting a car causing the driver to skid into a traffic island and wrecking his suspension?

Gang pelting an oul fella with a few jars on his way home causing him to slip and nearly have a heart attck and fractured pelvis?

Gang witnessing an elderly man with a walking stick slip in the middle of the road onto his back. Help him get up or run over and pelt him while he lay in the middle of the road on the ground?

Gang start throwing snowballs at a Filipino Mother and 5 or 6 year old kid who throws one back thinking it was a friendly snowball fight? Wasn't friendly when the gang started hurling racial abuse as well as snowballs and the mother and child had to run away crying?

Tormenting the Chinese shop owner every single day throwing snowballs in the door en masse and hurling racist abuse?

A 'real' snowball fight is good humoured between groups of teens whether they know each other or not or between people of any age who know each other and when the sides are evenly matched. Gangs pelting much smaller groups or people on their own is just scumbags being scumbags....End Of

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In all fairness, it was obstructing her from carrying out her duty... what ever it was she was doing...

That is the reason why it would have been pursued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Chief--- wrote: »

This fella is lucky he ended up in court and not in A&E.

Are you seriously suggesting that he's lucky the police didn't beat him up so bad as to put him in A&E for throwing a snowball?.

Having snowballs thrown at you is a pain in the hoop, but its part & parcel of the novelty of us having snow.

The Defence Forces here are out clearing paths & roads, plus providing transport from 'meals on wheels' to medical care & transport - you know how many snowballs I've had thrown at me?... Its a pain, but its the craic of a snowy winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

chin_grin wrote: »
    No such thing as a "friendly snowball".

Actually - there is :D

But I wouldn't walk up to a policewoman & give her one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

An eye for an eye, I say. I hope he gets graped* in prison.

*the insertion of grapes into the anal cavity or gay raped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Unless someone is partaking in a snowball fight i don't see why a third party should be involved unless they ask to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

liah wrote: »
    Do you genuinely think that throwing a snowball, of all things, deserves jailtime, regardless of who the subject is?

I think assault should, and assault encompases many things, threatening behaviour, intimidation, aggression, physical contact of any kind, throwing things, pretending to throw a punch and stopping short.

It is very easy to come up with an excuse, and is how most bullies operate, sure its only name calling, its only a friendly punch on the arm, a friendly snowball.

Intent and effect on the victim are what defines assault, not arbitrary definitions of what is and isn't 'fun'.

Peoples lives are made hell by others staying within an arbritray rule and exploiting excuses. One look at this piece of sh*t (lets call a spade a spade and to hell with PC) in the article and you know he wasn't having harmless fun, he was assaulting and belittling someone in a way he thought he could get away with, a police officer no less because he wanted to abuse her in any way he can. Shouting obscenities and verbal abuse are restricted in the same way, you cant roar and shout at someone and once they feel threatened, it is assault. This is the case in Ireland, and would be similar if not identical in the UK, in this instance, this guy actually tried or succeeded in physically hitting the officer with a thrown object, no matter what it is.

The judge will decide on his sentance and its weight versus his crime, trying to fob it off entirely as a non-issue or 'fun' is a defence tactic, nothing more, typical of those trying to trivialise their actions, and humiliate the victim for ever complaining.

**edited - can't be arse at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

What is the difference between me throwing, for example, a glass bottle and a snowball at a member of the Gardai. In both cases I have knowingly aimed and fired a projectile at the person and both are going to impact on him/her.
    Having been hit the head with both, I can confirm that there is infact a large difference. The glass bottle was worse. Far worse

bnt wrote: »
    Good. It's not a snow fight unless there are two sides taking part. Where's the sport in throwing snowballs at strangers who are just trying to get from A to B? I even saw a teenager dropping large lumps of ice on cars from a footbridge over the N11 - which could easily cause a crash. I think he saw the look on my face, because he dropped his load and ran the other way.

I'll bet those kids grow up in to torturing cats, then join the Army so they can go and shoot at foreigners. No sense of right vs. wrong. :mad:

How did you arrive at that conclusion? I dont see a link between kids throwing snowballs at strangers and then torturing cats

And whats wrong with growing up to join the army?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The "tear" tattoo often means that he has done prison time. So someone who has a "gone to prison" tattoo throwing a snowball at a police officer is a fairly retarded thing to do.

He was also showing "how much a man he was" by attacking a police officer. A great role model to his kid. Well, his kid will now see that "you f**k with the police, and they'll come for you".

For all we know, the female policewoman got the snowball to the face, and it may have hurt her. I bet the little f**k wouldn't have thrown the snowball at a male police officer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

tommyhaas wrote: »
    And whats wrong with growing up to join the army?

It's a generalisation sure but the kinda lads who CAN'T WAIT to be in the army strike me as lads who just want to play in tanks and shoot guns legally at foreigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Well he claims to have killed someone so he probably deserves it.

It's a generalisation sure but the kinda lads who CAN'T WAIT to be in the army strike me as lads who just want to play in tanks and shoot guns legally at foreigners.

I've never played in a tank in my life, and I'm in the army 25yrs now :(

That has to be the most ignorant trollish comment that I've read so far today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Did you ever torture cats?

Well then you're doing it wrong :P

k_mac wrote: »
    Did you ever torture cats?

Not yet!.. But I remember pulling the legs off spiders!.

the_syco wrote: »
    That has to be the most ignorant trollish comment that I've read so far today.

Give me a while. It' early yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I think assault should, and assault encompases many things, threatening behaviour, intimidation, aggression, physical contact of any kind, throwing things, pretending to throw a punch and stopping short.

It is very easy to come up with an excuse, and is how most bullies operate, sure its only name calling, its only a friendly punch on the arm, a friendly snowball.

Intent and effect on the victim are what defines assault, not arbitrary definitions of what is and isn't 'fun'.

Peoples lives are made hell by others staying within an arbritray rule and exploiting excuses. One look at this piece of sh*t (lets call a spade a spade and to hell with PC) in the article and you know he wasn't having harmless fun, he was assaulting and belittling someone in a way he thought he could get away with, a police officer no less because he wanted to abuse her in any way he can. Shouting obscenities and verbal abuse are restricted in the same way, you cant roar and shout at someone and once they feel threatened, it is assault. This is the case in Ireland, and would be similar if not identical in the UK, in this instance, this guy actually tried or succeeded in physically hitting the officer with a thrown object, no matter what it is.

The judge will decide on his sentance and its weight versus his crime, trying to fob it off entirely as a non-issue or 'fun' is a defence tactic, nothing more, typical of those trying to trivialise their actions, and humiliate the victim for ever complaining.

I'm with you my man. I mean just look at the guy. I mean I can't be quite sure without proper access and my phrenology tools to hand but the guy clearly has the sloping brow of your common arsonist, not to mention his number 5 brain organ clearly indicates he has a high level of the carnivorous instinct; the tendency to murder. Why my good man, he is nothing short of a scurrilous dastard by my reckoning, or my name isn't Lord Fauntelroy Fitzbury the third!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Being honest, I'd find any excuse to lock up someone like him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

strobe wrote: »
    I'm with you my man. I mean just look at the guy. I mean I can't be quite sure without proper access and my phrenology tools to hand but the guy clearly has the sloping brow of your common arsonist, not to mention his number 5 brain organ clearly indicates he has a high level of the carnivorous instinct; the tendency to murder. Why my good man, he is nothing short of a scurrilous dastard by my reckoning, or my name is Lord Fauntelroy Fitzbury the third!

Lol, that, and the 'aul prison tattoo...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

strobe wrote: »
    I'm with you my man. I mean just look at the guy. I mean I can't be quite sure without proper access and my phrenology tools to hand but the guy clearly has the sloping brow of your common arsonist, not to mention his number 5 brain organ clearly indicates he has a high level of the carnivorous instinct; the tendency to murder. Why my good man, he is nothing short of a scurrilous dastard by my reckoning, or my name isn't Lord Fauntelroy Fitzbury the third!

Phrenology? Seriously? Cop the **** on. Listen to yourself, that's sickening carry on. It's not a joke. That's as bad as saying all black people should be locked up in jail because that's all they're worthy of.

It's amazing how much Phrenologists we have around here so far ("looks like a mog, he's a mog") but you just take the biscuit. I hadn't realised I'd went back to 1810.

Many people have that kind of tough look about them who are law-abiding, decent members of society. The "sloping brow" can be an indicator of poor health, poor nutrition/diet through their life, possible alcohol or drug addictions.... you cannot seriously saying that he "looks like the type of guy that's bad so he MUST be bad". What a joke.

It might be okay to say that about him if he was dressed in chav-type close, a skinhead, and did things to make himself look tough. But just taking a look at him and saying that is IMHO sickening.

As for "figureheads of authority"... don't make me laugh. Police men or women have no right to expect any sort of "preferred" treatment over the public that they are supposed to protect.

People need to get over their nanny complexes. The police officers work for us, they are supposed to implement the law.... I just don't understand where this extra "respect" should come in.

As for "Keira", I apparently have to "earn" her respect, but a police officer has her respect and her knee is bent automatically. Is it any wonder that the country is in the state it's now in when people invest so much of their trust into a supposed authority? In actual fact, a lot of policemen were criminals themselves or heading that way, working with the police is often seen as a lucrative way out of poverty for people in backward areas.

Phrenology? Seriously? Cop the **** on. Listen to yourself, that's sickening carry on. It's not a joke. That's as bad as saying all black people should be locked up in jail because that's all they're worthy of.

It's amazing how much Phrenologists we have around here so far ("looks like a mog, he's a mog") but you just take the biscuit. I hadn't realised I'd went back to 1810.

Many people have that kind of tough look about them who are law-abiding, decent members of society. The "sloping brow" can be an indicator of poor health, poor nutrition/diet through their life, possible alcohol or drug addictions.... you cannot seriously saying that he "looks like the type of guy that's bad so he MUST be bad". What a joke.

It might be okay to say that about him if he was dressed in chav-type close, a skinhead, and did things to make himself look tough. But just taking a look at him and saying that is IMHO sickening.

As for "figureheads of authority"... don't make me laugh. Police men or women have no right to expect any sort of "preferred" treatment over the public that they are supposed to protect.

People need to get over their nanny complexes. The police officers work for us, they are supposed to implement the law.... I just don't understand where this extra "respect" should come in.

As for "Keira", I apparently have to "earn" her respect, but a police officer has her respect and her knee is bent automatically. Is it any wonder that the country is in the state it's now in when people invest so much of their trust into a supposed authority? In actual fact, a lot of policemen were criminals themselves or heading that way, working with the police is often seen as a lucrative way out of poverty for people in backward areas.

Chill out. I think you'll find that most people are judging him based on the fact that he has a prison tattoo under his eye.

k_mac wrote: »
    Chill out. I think you'll find that most people are judging him based on the fact that he has a prison tattoo under his eye.

Maybe people shouldn't be so quick to judge based on a photo.. I've a fair few indian ink tattoo's myself, but never been to prison!..
    Although I did recently throw a snowball at someone

• Advertisement

Maybe people shouldn't be so quick to judge based on a photo.. I've a fair few indian ink tattoo's myself, but never been to prison!..
    What and where are they? The full tear under the eye usually symbolizes that you were in prison, having come from Russia, where it meant you were someones b|tch in prison. Having any tattoo on your face can go against you when getting a job, but having a prison or gang related tattoo on your face is daft. If it's just the outline, you have sworn to kill someone and if it's filled in, that you did kill that someone. In the past in Australia, other inmates, upon finding out that an inmate was doing time for a paedophile related offence, would forceably put a tear under the paedophiles right eye to mark them.

So having such a tattoo as a tear, although small, is a big sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Although I did recently throw a snowball at someone

Monster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Are you seriously suggesting that he's lucky the police didn't beat him up so bad as to put him in A&E for throwing a snowball?.

Having snowballs thrown at you is a pain in the hoop, but its part & parcel of the novelty of us having snow.

The Defence Forces here are out clearing paths & roads, plus providing transport from 'meals on wheels' to medical care & transport - you know how many snowballs I've had thrown at me?... Its a pain, but its the craic of a snowy winter.

If you choose to throw a snowball at somebody you have to be ready for any type of human reaction.

Throw it at the wrong person or policeman and yes they might flip and end up kicking two lumps out of you. Its wrong obviously and can be followed up afterwards but I wouldnt risk it for that reason alone.

The amount of people that have had two lumps of ****e kicked out of them when they threw snowballs at the wrong cars, having "innocent fun".

Probably why this fella threw it at a female cop.

Anybody with an ounce of common sense would know not to throw something at a copper.

Would the same fella head up to some estates in the following towns... Limerick Finglas Tallaght Blanchardstown, Dundalk Mullingar or Cork, and start throwing snowballs into random peoples faces.

I think he would be the one needing the police and quite poissibly an Ambulance if he did.

Again, he is a total idiot.

Monster.

Wanna laugh, it was at two cop's and a guy in cuff's outside 'The Front Lounge' in Parliment St. on the first night of 'The BIG Freeze' :D

Everyone was hammered, even the guards got a laugh out of it!.

Oh, a fight outside Gogarty's (Templebar) with the bouncers and some punters - they were snow balled too :cool:

Look, its a pain in the arse being snowballed.

Like I said, I'm out in it the last few weeks and getting pelted regularly - personally I don't see it as a reason to arrest someone - but no one here know's the story behind the case reported in the OP.

The guy might very well have been a scumbag, or the cop may simply have been over reacting.. I don't really care too much either way, but people shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions based on a photo of a tattoo.. Why on earth someone wants a tattoo there in the first place beats the crap out of me but thats another matter.

Someone asked about my ink - arm's, legs and I had them removed from my knuckles.. It was a life time ago, there ya go - warts & all!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ohhh dear, ohh dear, oh dear.... Well....you win this round, internet's inability to convey satire adequately. Nicely played, internet, nicely played.

Sincerely,
    Lord Fauntelroy Fitzbury the third (esquire).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Kiera wrote: »
    That's bullshít! I've met a handful on knobs but most guards I've met are sound and very helpful!

And I've yet to meet a single nice beangarda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Caliden wrote: »

Coppers, my friend. Coppers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I fucking hate having snow balls thrown at me so if I had the power and someone threw a snowball at me, I'd sure as hell arrest them too. I don't know why people think throwing snow at others is funny... it just isn't. Okay, I'd get past it if it was a friend, but a complete stranger, fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

What's a 'beangarda'? Is it someone who looks after the pulses?

lyverbird1 wrote: »
    What's a 'beangarda'? Is it someone who looks after the pulses?

'bean garda' / bean-garda, whatever.
    It's Gaelige loveen, our native language. You should check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Throwing snowballs at anyone is assault. Why would anyone think differently?

Deal with it and grow up ffs.

'bean garda' / bean-garda, whatever.
    It's Gaelige loveen, our native language. You should check it out.

It. Was. A. Joke...

It. Was. A. Bad. Joke...

fixed that for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

the_syco wrote: »
    What and where are they?

Are you not the guy who had a photo of himself as an avatar with a big American History X style swastika tattoo on his chest.

I know its a bit unfair to judge a book by its cover, and I assume thats from a past and something you regret.

But you can't blame a black guy for crossing the road if he sees a big built looking fella with a shaved head and swastika tattoo on his chest.

Its like me dressing as a fireman then giving out to people for judging me when I walk past a house on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Friendly snow ball my bollox. Too right for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Good enough for him.
    Hopefully the rest of the offenders will be dealt with.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

During the last snows I saw two gardai who had parked their car as a sort of barricade, engaged in a full on snowball fight with about 20 yoofs. They all seemed to be having a lot of fun. The gardai held their own anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Feck, I'd never throw a snowball at a policewoman unless I was looking for 'punishment'.

Or if you knew you'd get away with it.....

:pac:

fixed that for ya

*backs away from humourless person*...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

*backs away from humourless person*...

Some folks are hard to peas.
    :cool:

OisinT wrote: »
    Throwing snowballs at anyone is assault.

What is it if you hit someone with a snowball?.

Sisko wrote: »
    Are you not the guy who had a photo of himself as an avatar with a big American History X style swastika tattoo on his chest.

I'm the guy.

Sisko wrote: »
    I know its a bit unfair to judge a book by its cover, and I assume thats from a past and something you regret.

I'm starting to regret every throwing a snowball more, or swimming in a canal lock, playing 'nick nack', kiss chasing, scutting on lorries/buses, not following the green cross code and all the other sh*t I knew as part of growing up more!.

Some people here would wanna get a bloody life and live it ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 superspark

as long as it wasn't a yellow snow ball he threw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

That man should be arrested on sight. Thug if I ever saw one. The streets are safer now.

• Advertisement

I'm the guy.

I'm starting to regret every throwing a snowball more, or swimming in a canal lock, playing 'nick nack', kiss chasing, scutting on lorries/buses, not following the green cross code and all the other sh*t I knew as part of growing up more!.

Some people here would wanna get a bloody life and live it ffs.

Are you suggesting the guy threw the snowball as part of youthful antics? He looked older than that to me.

Advertisement