Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoTLK Midnite Sales in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ivan wrote: »
    A) I was directing my comments at DarthWraak's comment's. Hence the quote.

Specifically

Which is something every MMO launch has to deal with these days and this expansion and the Burning Crusade expansion, for which I was a GM for the launch day, months beforehand and many months afterwords for, is no different.

That I got wrong will hold my hands up.
    B) The majority of upgraded log-ins for TBC and presumely will be similar for Wrath, was between 9am and 11 pm GMT the morning of launch and a similar number again at 7pm to 9pm that evening. Again, this is coming from a guy who was a GM at the time.

Yes I understand that but I also know staggering them somewhat will but less immediate strain on the servers, and on the authentication servers, the website, the account management page. etc. etc.
    C) WAR had an early access log-in, AoC had an early access log-in, CoH had an early access log-in. Pretty much every MMO from now on will have an early access log-in. These events are designed to allow hardcore players to log-in the game early to stagger the playerbase and also give rise to the clients making their way onto torrents and other peer-to-peer channels all before launch. Warhammer, AoC and CoH all allowed pre-downloading of the client before launch. I realise this is an expansion, but that is no reason the client cannot be made available prior to launch. It is simply a matter of flicking a switch (metaphorically speaking) which allows people the access to the new content and as such, is even easier than a launch day. Again, coming from the largest games development mongoloid corporation in existence and coming from one of its ex-employees.

no those were not for "hardcore" players - it is something that cheapens the whole experience, paying a bit more so you get a vanity pet - thats ok, paying more so you get an actual advantage (bonus xp potions, entry to the game earlier).
    D) I realise I am a Moderator on these forums, although perhaps you dont; but I deserve the same respect as any other poster here. With that in mind, if you speak to me or another poster in such a passive-aggressive tone again, you can be discussing Wrath launch on the WoW forums instead of here.

Actually I know you are a mod, and you seem to think you should have extra respect in a conversation which isn't true, and I don't think any other mod or admin would stand over banning someone for disagreeing with your opinions.
    E) Did I mention I used to be a Gamesmaster, for blizzard and stuff...

And yes I know you used to be a gamemaster for sitel, you do bring it up every 45 seconds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

mayordenis wrote: »
    That I got wrong will hold my hands up.

Yes I understand that but I also know staggering them somewhat will but less immediate strain on the servers, and on the authentication servers, the website, the account management page. etc. etc.

no those were not for "hardcore" players - it is something that cheapens the whole experience, paying a bit more so you get a vanity pet - thats ok, paying more so you get an actual advantage (bonus xp potions, entry to the game earlier).

Actually I know you are a mod, and you seem to think you should have extra respect in a conversation which isn't true, and I don't think any other mod or admin would stand over banning someone for disagreeing with your opinions.

And yes I know you used to be a gamemaster for sitel, you do bring it up every 45 seconds.

You seem to have a rather diminutive view of MMO's, the companies involved and their launch but I'll humour you once more.

I fail to see how a set launch day of midnight has any staggering affect on launch day, or more specifically how not making the client available prior to launch (which is what this debate was about) has that affect either. You tried to explain that with forced logic and I already pointed out how that was flawed, based on informed and statistical evidence. Please present a new argument or let it go.

Early access events are designed to allow those people who are willing to pay extra to play early to get an advantage, i.e. hardcore players, a chance to start early and gain an advantage. This provides a kickstart to the player economy, allows the quickest leveling players the ability to level ahead of the rest and thus stagger the player base and also take some much needed strain off of servers, account management servers et al. similar to what you yourself stated. The bonus pets and item advantages generally, although not always, come from Collector's edition purchases and are generally limited to the perfectionist player and hold a minor interest to the hardcore types.

Yes, I am a mod. I am glad that you are aware of this fact although your conduct in your previous post seems to ignore this fact. I do not believe I deserve any extra respect due to my role, if I did I would simply have banned you outright, which I must admit did occur to me. What I did was provide you with a warning for personal abuse, as I did to 2 others previously in this very thread just 5 posts before your abusive post. At no point did I mention, hint or imply that I would ban you for your disagreeing with my opinion.
    However, if you feel I am abusing my position or attempting to intimidate you in any way, then please take it to feedback or PMs as this thread is not the place to discuss your opinions on this.

Finally, I have mentioned my being a Gamesmaster for Blizzard (albeit indirectly) in precisely 2 posts. The first was a page and a half ago in this very thread and the second post was meant to be humourous and was directed at your comments about me needing to
    mayordenis wrote: »
    get a clue.

A comment which I placed in bold for added emphasis and for which you received a warning for personal abuse.

If I've failed to address any of your points, please let me know, I'd hate to think I wasnt being informed on this particular issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You seem to have a rather diminutive view of MMO's, the companies involved and their launch but I'll humour you once more.

I certainly don't.
    I fail to see how a set launch day of midnight has any staggering affect on launch day,

Again if it were that everyone playing on the servers had a "midnight" launch at GMT or say realm time - then they would all be in a position to log on at the same time - but as the european community is split over several timezones - it means that not all spanish, irish, swedish, greek, south african players will log on at the same time, that coupled with midnights launches for some, store opening around 9am whatever your local time, and some playing it after work etc. would allow some leeway.
    Early access events are designed to allow those people who are willing to pay extra to play early to get an advantage, i.e. hardcore players, a chance to start early and gain an advantage.

When I said it wasn't for hardcore players i meant that hardcore players of any game, be it a MMO, or FPS, or non-video games like football don't want a unfair advantage, they want a level playing field, I believe paying extra for this is not a good standard.

The rest is offtopic and will be discussed elsewhere, I don't feel you're humouring of me is overly respectful either by the way, and I don't think you quite understand my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

**grabs some popcorn to watch some moderator 1v1 PVP **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

reminds me of that south park episode where cartman runs around shouting "race war" for some odd reason :D . when i read mayordenis's reply to Ivan i was like woah what did he do to deserve that :pac: but anyway heres a blue post regarding upgrading your account online.
    Wrath Not Available Via Download At Launch

Wrath will eventually be available for download online, but this might take some time to establish. A working DVD drive will be the only way to ensure you are ready to play on launch day. Otherwise, when we initiated the online download for Burning Crusade it took 2-3 weeks to get up and running. I'm not saying Wrath will take this long (I have no idea, it may) but don't expect it Day 1.

p.s. just had a 5am raid to kill Ironforge king ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

dirty coksuckers!!

do you reckon there will be a working torrent or somethin up soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

afaik the game dosent hit the shops untill this monday, so i'd say any up on torrentsites/newsgroups and other warez networks are more then likely fake.

Also, just booked thursday and friday off work next week. And im more then willing to drive to belfast or cork to pick up a copy! Will even take my laptop and a 3gcard to download on the way back down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Manties wrote: »
    afaik the game dosent hit the shops untill this monday, so i'd say any up on torrentsites/newsgroups and other warez networks are more then likely fake.

Also, just booked thursday and friday off work next week. And im more then willing to drive to belfast or cork to pick up a copy! Will even take my laptop and a 3gcard to download on the way back down :D
    icon_uhoh.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭lovetwix

anyone knows if HMV in cork will offer CE or not.. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Krieg wrote: »
    Only 1 confirmed store in the republic that are doing a midnite sale according to blizzard.
    http://media.wow-europe.com/wrath/midnight-opening/en/index.xml

HMV in cork
    wonder if this is anything to do with part of blizzard support being based in Cork then?

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote: »
    icon_uhoh.gif

whats meant to be ?

whats meant to be ?

an indication that he perhaps wants to turn it into a Moderator 1v1v1 .... ???

wooooo - think I need more poppity corn now!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

what pretty much everyone else thought mate, save your petrol money and effort and just get it like everyone else is haha

I find it so amusing at the pace at which people want to start this game.

We wil all get to 80 in the end, whats the rush, if your picknig this up to drill to 80, why do you bother playing wow

As much as end game is epic and all, i personally will be taking my time taking in the surroundings, like i did in vannila and tbc, and ill read every quest...and get in with the lore.

And then my DK will be the bestest DK on maelstrom :P

Im in no real rush to hit 80 since they decided to do away with the titles, but i'd just really like to get the game as early as possible just to look around.

ven0m wrote: »
    an indication that he perhaps wants to turn it into a Moderator 1v1v1 .... ???

wooooo - think I need more poppity corn now!!!!!! :D

I've had my clashes with Ivan enough times, and he always wins. So im staying out of it ;)

I've had my clashes with Ivan enough times, and he always wins. So im staying out of it ;)

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made fresh popcorn & all ........ :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

And im more then willing to drive to belfast or cork to pick up a copy! Will even take my laptop and a 3gcard to download on the way back down :D

Should be a Tesco that you could check in closer. Stuck deposit down on my CE from Gamestop in Belfast so gotta go down in the mornin,24hr Tesco just down the road from me though but they seem clueless so didnt wanna take the risk & prob not have the CE anyhow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Apparantly Game in Dawson st are doing it now:
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=6715741536&sid=1
    (ah damn worng thread , theres one in general though about it (the "dubliners..." one)
    no idea if thats true or not though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

*Horrificly offtopic*
    I'm getting pretty ****ing sick of your smart arse comments in anything i post tbh, if you have nothing constructive to say, stop trying to boost your post count.
    Stop saying factually incorrect things then.
    I'm not going to derail the thread on how "recessions" are fear mongering and caused by people stooping to the fear and stopping spending, I'm earning as much as ever and couldnt be finanically stabler....
    Raining? It's not raining, im totally dry!
    Agreed about not derailing the thread, but trying to deny that there is a worldwide financial crisis, ignoring the irish one, is a little silly.
    Go read a book and stop trying to be a smart arse...
    Ill be sure to look up the books that contain the words "financially stabler" in them.

*ON TOPIC*

Game again confirmed over the phone that they were opening midnight for this. They have stopped taking pre-orders though :/

Dustaz wrote: »
    *Horrificly offtopic*

Stop saying factually incorrect things then.

Raining? It's not raining, im totally dry!
    Agreed about not derailing the thread, but trying to deny that there is a worldwide financial crisis, ignoring the irish one, is a little silly.

Ill be sure to look up the books that contain the words "financially stabler" in them.

*ON TOPIC*

Game again confirmed over the phone that they were opening midnight for this. They have stopped taking pre-orders though :/

so if you havn't pre-ordered you're ****ed then? Or will they have a few first come/first served?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Good man Dustaz, yer a great lad. This post makes me feel much more stabler about this forthcoming release.

I will murder you all to get at my copy from game in dawson street at midnite ........ don't make me go all ret paladin on you all muahhahahahahahahaahhaha

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    so if you havn't pre-ordered you're ****ed then? Or will they have a few first come/first served?

the guy said that if you come down, you _should_ get a copy.

the guy said that if you come down, you _should_ get a copy.

I could kiss you right now for the good news, but it's unbecoming & I'm sure you no more want it than I do LOL .... not to metion I got three mods in here who will pwn my ass for my 1v1 cracks earlier in the thread .... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

that's gonna be the biggest collection of gay ever.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    that's gonna be the biggest collection of gay ever.

which the impending 1v1v1 fest of the mods? :D:D:D:D:D

I wouldnt take my word for the absolute gospel truth venom. The guy on the phone both times had an air of "umm.. yeaaaah. sure were open" about him.

Id check again on monday to see if its any firmer.

See you there then rojo?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Game dawson st seems confirmed.

I'm well glad ive my copy secured alright...seems a growing amount of "panic"

really hope they do have it, cos while I'm away I'd like to install the expansion & at least have something to do during the boring parts of my trip (and believe me - there will be some!!!)

• Advertisement

I wouldnt take my word for the absolute gospel truth venom. The guy on the phone both times had an air of "umm.. yeaaaah. sure were open" about him.

Id check again on monday to see if its any firmer.

See you there then rojo?

I'll defo be going if there's a pretty good chance at getting a copy. What do midnight launches entail? I mean, is there going to be people queing from 8 or anything stupid like that?

Advertisement