Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have received a letter from work.. I missed two days and have now been summoned to dublin to discuss my performance. It has completely knocked me.. Suicidal thoughts, a wall of them.. Won't do anything though.. Just curled on couch feeling in shock.

I'm really sorry to hear them Grem. They can't fire you for problems like this surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

titan18 wrote: »
    Well, job hunting sucks, it's all grad programs for next year or needing 5 years experience. This isn't going to be fun at all

Is there any hurry on it? For me I look at this time between college and work as probably the greatest opportunity of my life to find peace. I am slowly finding it too. Is it a distraction you are looking for with a job partially?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

cloud493 wrote: »
    I've been deciding to step out of my comfort zone a bit. I was elected as class rep, and I've organised a 'night out' for Wednesday. And trying to be more... cordial. As your woman at pieta house says. Talking to people. Smiling and all that. Very nervous though.

Cloud493 you have cartwheeled out of your comfort zone, great stuff! you're allowed be nervous by the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm really sorry to hear them Grem. They can't fire you for problems like this surely?

I disclosed both medical issues before i started with them, but many companies can work their way around stuff if they need.. Think it's time for me to move..

Well thats real **** in my opinion :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well thats real **** in my opinion :mad:

Yup, but that's how it is.. Not able..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Unless maybe they're trying to see if there is anything they can do to help you? Positivity and all that...

I disclosed both medical issues before i started with them, but many companies can work their way around stuff if they need.. Think it's time for me to move..

Have they been accommodating up to now Grem? Could they maybe just want to make things easier for you in work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

**** sake I'm trying to get through to my counsellor, been trying all day. Think she would answer? Eh no!

I stopped seeing her in April and went for 2 top up sessions. I really need to get back into counselling sessions. It really hit me today how much I am struggling, I wish she would just pick up the phone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is there any hurry on it? For me I look at this time between college and work as probably the greatest opportunity of my life to find peace. I am slowly finding it too. Is it a distraction you are looking for with a job partially?

Nah, no hurry, just starting to get bored, and longer I leave it off, the harder it will be to get back into it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi I've visited this page many times but never posted before.

I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for many years. I have never gone to a doctor or sought any professional help.
    I have been unemployed for a long time because of it. Lately I've been feeling way worse than ever before and apart from collecting my unemployment payment I hardly leave the house. I can't face having to meet and deal with people.
    Today I received a letter from social welfare saying I have to meet someone from FAS to try to get me back to work or on a course. It also said if I don't turn up my payment will be stopped.
    I know I won't be able to go to the meeting because as I said I am not able to leave the house at the moment and certainly not able to meet anyone.
    If they take away my payment I will not be able to survive so I am sick with the worry of this on top of how I was already feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

murria wrote: »
    Have they been accommodating up to now Grem? Could they maybe just want to make things easier for you in work?

Grem, take it easy. Try not to second guess what they have to say. Perhaps they may be genuinely trying to help you. Your Employers have a duty of care to you and all its employees. Attend the meeting and see what they have to say. If you are nervous of meeting them alone, ask would it be possible for someone, a colleague or friend to accompany you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Grem, take it easy. Try not to second guess what they have to say. Perhaps they may be genuinely trying to help you. Your Employers have a duty of care to you and all its employees. Attend the meeting and see what they have to say. If you are nervous of meeting them alone, ask would it be possible for someone, a colleague or friend to accompany you.:)

Grem, am around Dublin next week if you need moral support x

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JenEffy

I have a degree from UL and years worth of experience in retail, but I can't even get a job in Aldi. I had an interview with them last week but a friend told me that they don't hire people with degrees. All I want is a boring job in Tesco or wherever so I can move out of home. It makes the depression so much harder to handle. I know lots of people are in the same position but when you're already depressed it doubles it. If I can't get a job what's the point? I've never felt so useless in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Well then take that and try your best to move on from it, although it's so much easier said than done.

I know how hard it is to not allow things to get to you, and how small things feel like the biggest setbacks. Just keep applying for jobs and hopefully one turns up soon.

I'm jobhunting at the moment aswell, and every rejection email just makes you wanna give up, but don't, or you won't be moving out anytime soon!

Just keep moving out in your mind and move forward, and don't feel useless, you have that degree and all that experience - you're defo not useless! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

nights are awful lonely. Finding it really tough to be anyway positive. I start counselling next week. It's never really worked for me in the past but apparently its about trust and finding the right one.
    I really just think my gp is sick of the sight of me tbh. Although she'd never say.
    I get the vibes though. She used to be my safety net.
    Anyways hopefully something good will come of it so I can begin to crawl out of this black hole im in.

Don't be on this much as don't have internet anymore but always check in when I can.

Thanks for listening / reading x

Always hear to listen :)

And I know I've said before I'm not a fan of counselling, but pieta house is really very good. She keeps trying to persaude me to go the GP, but otherwise she's great :p

I do have something I'd like to run by you guys though. I don't want to cause more college trouble like, but this guidance counsellor, same one as before. She calls me into her office, and we're just talking, I'm trying to be cordial, and she says 'right your gonna keep those arms covered. Cos all those cuts and scars are disgusting people don't wanna see them its repulsive'

Thats not ok to say is it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

No its not ok. How do you feel when you're told this?

Well I don't disagree with it like. I wouldn't put as much effort as I do into covering up otherwise. But she shouldn't be saying it to me like. I was pretty. Hurt? If thats the right word. And I wasn't sure if I was making a mountain out of a molehill.

Always hear to listen :)

And I know I've said before I'm not a fan of counselling, but pieta house is really very good. She keeps trying to persaude me to go the GP, but otherwise she's great :p

I do have something I'd like to run by you guys though. I don't want to cause more college trouble like, but this guidance counsellor, same one as before. She calls me into her office, and we're just talking, I'm trying to be cordial, and she says 'right your gonna keep those arms covered. Cos all those cuts and scars are disgusting people don't wanna see them its repulsive'

Thats not ok to say is it"?

No! Of course that's not ok, it's not even insensitive, it's ignorant, and insulting. I realise she's trying to act in the interests of everyone after what happened, but she's the Guidance Counsellor for goodness sake, surely she's had some basic training. I'm so sorry that you hsd to put up with that Cloud. :( Grr I feel like going down there and giving her a piece of my mind. :)

• Advertisement

I think I'l do that myself. Or go to the principal even and say this is the second time she's made insensitive remarks and its not on. Keep it to yourself etc. I just don't wanna be the dude who makes a big deal out of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I think I'l do that myself. Or go to the principal even and say this is the second time she's made insensitive remarks and its not on. Keep it to yourself etc. I just don't wanna be the dude who makes a big deal out of nothing.

Send an email to your tutor and head of school.

Good idea Negative Creep. Cloud could you make a phone call to your counsellor before you address the matter? She might be able to help you put your message across without you feeling like you're making a fuss about nothing (youre not of course).

murria wrote: »
    Good idea Negative Creep. Cloud could you make a phone call to your counsellor before you address the matter? She might be able to help you put your message across without you feeling like you're making a fuss about nothing (youre not of course).

That's a good idea, thanks :)

JenEffy wrote: »
    I have a degree from UL and years worth of experience in retail, but I can't even get a job in Aldi. I had an interview with them last week but a friend told me that they don't hire people with degrees. All I want is a boring job in Tesco or wherever so I can move out of home. It makes the depression so much harder to handle. I know lots of people are in the same position but when you're already depressed it doubles it. If I can't get a job what's the point? I've never felt so useless in my life.

You'll get there in the end buddy. Life would never feel good if we didn't have the bad times to remember from the past...... Believe it, thing's always eventually pick up. It's just a matter of when. Don't get too hard on yourself...............:)

up and down today. The weekend flew by, but was nice as I got to see lots of friends. Feel a bit crap today as after eating well for a good while, I had a few drinks and some junk food yesterday and my stomach isn't very happy. It's good to know that it's a trigger though. I'm very uneasy this week about work - a few things are up in the air and I can't move forward till I know for sure how they'll turn out. Will have answers this week though. I have to encounter the bullies at a meeting and am really wary for some reason. It's normal for my stuff to be criticised to high heaven, it previously didnt bother me too much, but I'm so fed up with them that I'm already dreading the meeting and hoping I can stand up for myself. Myabe it's good to be forewarned though.

A former workmate is going to call me later in the week. They had hassle too and it's nice to have a sympathetic person who knows what I'm going through. I'm still fed up over the conversation with my boss on Fri, I'm actually very tempted to just spell it out that I'm not happy to work alongside the bully. No point beating around the bush, my feelings will be out in the open and we can go from there. I plan to discuss this with my therapist in a couple of days.

So basically theres a few things hanging over me. Not great for a monday, and coupled with an upset stomach I;m not in the best form today. This feeling of being trapped and also not having much time left to get through everything is really draining. I feel I cant win and am very alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

stinkle wrote: »
    up and down today. The weekend flew by, but was nice as I got to see lots of friends. Feel a bit crap today as after eating well for a good while, I had a few drinks and some junk food yesterday and my stomach isn't very happy. It's good to know that it's a trigger though. I'm very uneasy this week about work - a few things are up in the air and I can't move forward till I know for sure how they'll turn out. Will have answers this week though. I have to encounter the bullies at a meeting and am really wary for some reason. It's normal for my stuff to be criticised to high heaven, it previously didnt bother me too much, but I'm so fed up with them that I'm already dreading the meeting and hoping I can stand up for myself. Myabe it's good to be forewarned though.

A former workmate is going to call me later in the week. They had hassle too and it's nice to have a sympathetic person who knows what I'm going through. I'm still fed up over the conversation with my boss on Fri, I'm actually very tempted to just spell it out that I'm not happy to work alongside the bully. No point beating around the bush, my feelings will be out in the open and we can go from there. I plan to discuss this with my therapist in a couple of days.

So basically theres a few things hanging over me. Not great for a monday, and coupled with an upset stomach I;m not in the best form today. This feeling of being trapped and also not having much time left to get through everything is really draining. I feel I cant win and am very alone.

Bullying is a very serious issue.
    Does you Employer have a policy against bullying in the workplace? If not why not?
    Bullying has always existed in some shape or form, but it should not be tolerated by any right minded Employer.
    If the bullying persists I think you are right to confront the bully head on. It may ease the tension for a while, but bullies by their psychopathic nature rarely ease up and the issue may continue.
    Please keep notes of any conversations you have with the bully.
    If you have an HR Dept. it may be appropriate to raise the issue there also.
    Some Employers have an Employees Assistance Programme, usually operated by an outside agency with whom you can speak with in confidence about the issues you are encountering.
    Your health is your wealth, you most definitely don't have to endure bullying in the workplace ,as it is degrading and injurious to your health.
    If the Employers are less than cooperative, you may well have to consider taking legal advice and action to bring this matter to a conclusion. If you are a member of a Union, seek the advices of your Union Representatives.
    It would appear you are not the only one suffering from the actions of this bully, you mentioned a colleague who is enduring similar behaviour.
    I accept the Business World is a tough environment at present , however this does not mean that an individual or individuals should suffer bullying, harassment etc in the work place.
    Have a good week, and keep us updated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I've been really struggling lately. I've seen my consultant recently enough and the last times I've been with her we have agreed to increase my medication. It has helped in that I am not getting as emotionally distressed as I had been but the dark thoughts I am having are still there and I can't shake them. It is really impacting my motivation in college which has just been a disaster the last year. I've had to take several breaks and I just can't seem to get back into it.

I keep being told not to believe my own logic when I am feeling so low but the problem is even when things are going relatively well I still have fleeting thoughts of suicide and the logic behind it is still sound. I feel like things are just getting closer to the edge and I just don't know how to pull myself back. I really don't want another stay in hospital, I'm just getting more and more lost as the days goes on.

thanks you so much! yeah it's a big place with anti-bullying policy, but that's hard to implement in a day-to-day situation. My first step has been to discuss with an outside agency, which is the therapist I mentioned. I find it good, but havent been in almost 3 months.

Am finishing up projects before my time here is up (not long left), so am very reluctant to take legal action etc. Nothing too bad has happened recently, but there's just an unpleasant atmosphere when Im around these people. Im deliberately avoiding them as much as possible which is great, but not without its own issues - ive pretty much "fled" to a different dept. Sometimes I jsut wish I belonged somewhere - i dont really belong in the nice dept and it causes stress, and I hate the horrible dept for obvious reasons.

If I could only make some progress with job hunting it'd be fab. I'd know where I stand and wouldnt need to worry about looming unemployment etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Just had a seriously strong feeling of anxiety, felt as if something terrible was happening and that there was a hole in my defense, so to speak. I started medication a few days ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement