Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options

Comments

Son0vagun wrote: »
    If Aegon is fake and is going to die early on, then what had been the point if introducing him at all?

Same could be said about the prince of Dorne who got roasted or any of the many people that have been killed off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Does anyone think Krakens will be introduced in the next two books? I remember reading that there was a sighting off some coast but other than that there's absolutely no mention of them, would it be fair for GRRM to pull them out of nowhere to facilitate the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I really hope he doesn't die though, I think varys says that he's been brought up humble, doesn't see ruling as his right, more his duty, as opposed to dany who's always seen the throne as hers by right.

Demanding to be the one leading the assault against Storm's End, naming Knights to the Kingsguard without the approval of Connington and generally his bossiness would suggest he's not entirely humble and reasonable.

Obviously, he's a King and can do whatever he likes and it's natural for him to be a bit uppity but I wonder will that willfulness be his downfall.
    Does anyone think Krakens will be introduced in the next two books? I remember reading that there was a sighting off some coast but other than that there's absolutely no mention of them, would it be fair for GRRM to pull them out of nowhere to facilitate the story?

They might just be a myth. So far, dragons are the only mythical creatures we've seen. There's no reason for them to be the only ones around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Unicorns of skagos?

madrab wrote: »
    Unicorns of skagos?

Who knows? We haven't actually seen them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Gbear wrote: »
    Who knows? We haven't actually seen them yet.
    Giants and mammoths north of the wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The wights.....

Direwolves....

Why not krackens?

I think they will be introduced.

There will be an epic battle around the iron islands at some stage I reckon & Krakens will be introduced by the priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I could see Krakens coming into it in some way, they have already mentioned them, was it just a sailors tale or something? I can't remember exactly.

The Dragon stories reached Westeros as sailors tales, so I wouldn't discount it.

As for Unicorns on Skaagos, I can't see that happening.....Unicorns doesn't really fit in with the images of savage cannibals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    As for Unicorns on Skaagos, I can't see that happening.....Unicorns doesn't really fit in with the images of savage cannibals.
    Doesn't one of the wildlings have a helmet made from a unicorn skull? They certainly exist but instead of being like horses with a single long horn they are described as being like goats.

• Advertisement

^

I had an image of the white stallion with a single horn and sparkles and rainbows behind it, hence my thinking that they might not exist. :pac:

Something like a goat is much more acceptable, I must look that up, I barely remember the references to them in the book.

It's worth pointing out that mammoths and direwolves aren't mythological. ;)

There were mammoths around as recently as 6000 years ago and dire wolves up to about 10000 years ago.

Although actual direwolves were only slightly bigger than modern wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Early in DoD, Jon has a dream of Shaggydog eating a horned goat like creature, whichis possibly (probably?) a Skagos unicorn.

All I know is winter is coming.

TheWindsofWinter.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

TheWindsofWinter.jpeg

Whoa there, has a release date been announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What's the picture of?

Fan-made by any chance??

A quick search on google news didn't allude to any announcement. Can see this being a long wait, 2014 is a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

TheWindsofWinter.jpeg

Hodor :eek: Hodor :) Hodor :eek: Hodor :D Hodor :)

Hodor? :pac:

tumblr_mpwn3lQTCC1sz4kpvo1_400.gif

Hodor??? :(

Hodor! :D

I was just stating that because it should be out next year..... Winter is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The Starks are always right eventually; winter is coming. This one will be long and dark things will come with it... When winter does come, gods help us all if we're not ready!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

What's the picture of?

The Horn of Winter I'd say.

The Horn of Winter I'd say.

Most likely.

Regarding the horns though, isn't there 3 in play at the moment, the one Sam has, which could be the real Horn of Winter, the one the Wildings had, can't remember if that was confirmed as fake, did Mance lead them to believe that is was the real one?

And the one Euron gave Victarian that burns the lungs out of who ever blows it. I can't wait to see how this one plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Most likely.

Regarding the horns though, isn't there 3 in play at the moment, the one Sam has, which could be the real Horn of Winter, the one the Wildings had, can't remember if that was confirmed as fake, did Mance lead them to believe that is was the real one?

And the one Euron gave Victarian that burns the lungs out of who ever blows it. I can't wait to see how this one plays out.

That was confirmed as a fake by Tormund to Jon. The Wildlings, or at least Mance's advisors knew that it was a fake as they failed to find the real one in the Frostfangs. Mance was to try use it as a bargaining tool to get the Wildlings south of the wall before Stannis showed up.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    That was confirmed as a fake by Tormund to Jon. The Wildlings, or at least Mance's advisors knew that it was a fake as they failed to find the real one in the Frostfangs. Mance was to try use it as a bargaining tool to get the Wildlings south of the wall before Stannis showed up.

Hence the invite to Jon in the first place.

The funny thing is, if they'd come to the Wall under peace banners to ask nicely to be let in, virtually everyone would have survived and all it would've cost them was a toll like they paid to Jon, some hostages and serfdom, but even then only to a degree - doesn't seem to be as bad in the north - the harshness of life there seems to make them all a bit more tolerant of one another. It's not like they were going to be able to conquer the whole of Westeros and sooner or later the south would've mosied up and killed them all.

Of course that would've required Jon being Lord Commander but it's not completely outrageous to assume that Donal Noye would've been open to it had he not died, and he would've been one of the front-runners.

They were the enemey, sure, but after the Fist of the First Men plenty of the NW saw who the real enemy was and I'd say that Jon would've been far from the only one in the NW to allow the wildlings the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Just read the chapter where we find out that Tyrion knows who Aegon is. He recognises him as a Targaryen from his appearance. There is no way that he's Illyrio's son.

Just read the chapter where we find out that Tyrion knows who Aegon is. He recognises him as a Targaryen from his appearance. There is no way that he's Illyrio's son.

This is the thing there are some people from the Targaryen line scattered everywhere, the Blackfyres being one well know branch so I think that he could have had "Aegon" with one of these. It just doesn't make sense why he is so involved.

Illyrio wouldn't have just excreted him from his fat belly.

A few times in the books it has been stated that the Blackfyre line is extinguished in the male line. So whoever Illyrio had the child with could've been said female heir.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Gbear wrote: »
    Illyrio wouldn't have just excreted him from his fat belly.

A few times in the books it has been stated that the Blackfyre line is extinguished in the male line. So whoever Illyrio had the child with could've been said female heir.

But why help Daenerys and Viserys to the extent that he did if he had a son for the Iron Throne? Why would he even want his son to rule in Westeros?

Illyrio is playing an odd game and nothing is clear. Tyrion doesn't believe anything he says but really struggles to understand what his end game is. I just don't really buy that son theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I've read a lot of theories about Aegon..and at the moment all cards are on the table but I haven't got it in me to accept that he's real..it's too easy. I've said before that Dany becoming queen would be too easy and nice but even she would be better than Aegon.

Ignoring for a moment that this is GRRM were talking about..I don't think any writer would stoop to the 'infant prince switched and spirited away before his family is deposed, to be raised humbly by a brotherhood of exiles and one day return to claim his family's throne' storyline..even Dany's storyline had personal hardships that have forced her to earn her place to some degree, Aegon just popped up and appointed himself the rightful king. On the topic of Aegon's humble upbringings..when he's playing cyvasse with Tyrion on the Shy Maid he loses and he kicks the table onto the ground and orders Tyrion to pick it up. He hasn't achieved a thing so far yet he's already ordering people around. Hardly a good sign..echoes of Joffrey there.

I don't think any Targaryen will be king/queen again, I think it would be a disservice to the story and it would be no triumph for them to walk into Westeros where nearly every Great House is in ruins and put their arse on the throne as if they're conquerors. I mean the Starks, Tullys, Baratheons basically sacrificed all to defeat the Lannisters and apparently a Targaryen is going to walk in the back door, boot Tommen up the hole and sit on the IT..no fcking dice man..no fcking dice:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

are the existing chapters available as a mobi or epub?

Advertisement