Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ashton to be taken out and shot, that 4th try has cost em

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

BBC says the Edinburgh game is over with them winning by 1 point, 48-47.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Fair ****ing play Scarlets!

Don't think Northampton are out of this yet though. Could easily see 4 wins from 4 for them, and 2 try bonus points.
    This group will go down to the wire.

What do people think, is this a good or bad result for Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

game over. Unreal result for Scarlets, pool is flipped on its head.

Saints get a BP which barely keeps them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wixfjord wrote: »

I think it's a good result. We have Scarlets at Thomond up first in the head to head and I wouldn't have fancied going to Saints in January in a do or die game a la Toulon last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Would it to much to ask for sky to stay on air long enough to show a few trys from the other games tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

ongarite wrote: »
    BBC says the Edinburgh game is over with them winning by 1 point, 48-47.

Were something like 24pts down. Unreal stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Did anyone catch the Edinburgh match?? Sounds unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

I think it's a good result. We have Scarlets at Thomond up first in the head to head and I wouldn't have fancied going to Saints in January in a do or die game a la Toulon last year.

No, it's the other way around. We have to go to Scarlets first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Don't think Northampton are out of this yet though. Could easily see 4 wins from 4 for them, and 2 try bonus points.

I don't think it's a great result tbh.

Any of the other teams getting bonus points is pretty much not good for Munster considering it will be tight at the end. If the half-time score had been the finishing score, it would have been good.

We'll probably have to beat Llanelli twice now. They'll be very confident after that win and are a dangerous side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

George North might be missing after another shoulder charge by Lawes.

Its a good result for Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Disgraceful 'rucking' by Courtney Lawes on North. He had to go off. that man is pure scum

No Scarlets are at home first in the double header.
    It might be a good result if Munster win tomorrow, but Scarlets will be on a high, and with Castres away on the last day could be looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Just in the door, sounds like I missed a savage night of rugby.

Scarlets! Fair play, if they can come out of their head to head level with Munster, they're in the driving seat in the pool.

And Edinburgh? Jaysus, what the hell is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

.ak wrote: »
    Did anyone catch the Edinburgh match?? Sounds unreal!

The French TV showed highlights after the Clermont game. Shame they didn't do the other way round, show Racing and highlights of Clermont.
    Racing was playing pretty well, leading 44-20, looked like a 5 points victory but somehow they switched off their defense in the last 20 min (conceded 4 tries)... That being said, fair play to Edinburgh. They must have had great belief to turn such a situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

It could be a good result, but if we come up short tomorrow and Scarlets keep going strong we could easily be out. It's livened up the group anyway, who knows, Northampton might go to Scarlets and beat them yet. You cant guess what will happen at this stage.

Northhampton are defo out of it. Lose a home game and it is goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Leinster lost at home to london Irish two years ago and still got a home qf. As long as you can get to about 18 points somehow you're still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

ed7890 wrote: »
    It could be a good result, but if we come up short tomorrow and Scarlets keep going strong we could easily be out. It's livened up the group anyway, who knows, Northampton might go to Scarlets and beat them yet. You cant guess what will happen at this stage.

If they keep on playing like they have so far, I think one of the Welsh clubs will make the final this year.

Was seriously impressed by Scarlets tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

The win for Scarlets might have suited us but the 5 points give them the edge, I think we may need to beat them home and away which might be more difficult them some think, Scarlets are alot better than now than their previous ML and H/C games have shown.

No, We play them in Wales first which as the fixtues stand actually make our pool as tad more difficult.

I think we need to win tomorrow just to keep us on the boil.

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    Leinster lost at home to london Irish two years ago and still got a home qf. As long as you can get to about 18 points somehow you're still in it.

That group was nowhere near the standard of this one.

NickDrake wrote: »
    Northhampton are defo out of it. Lose a home game and it is goodbye

Definitely not out of it.
    They've Castres twice now, and could easily get 9-10 points in that, putting them at 11-12 points.
    Should Munster win with 4 tomorrow, and if the Mun-Scarlets back to back was drawn 5-5, all likely results, that would leave the standings:

Scarlets 14
    Munster 13
    Northampton 11-12

I wouldn't put it past Northampton to win in Wales and beat Munster at home.
    In a group with three good teams in it, losing at home may not be the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Well, I'd say it all depends on their result tomorrow in Castres. A defeat would be problematic for you.

Definitely not out of it.
    They've Castres twice now, and could easily get 9-10 points in that, putting them at 11-12 points.
    Should Munster win with 4 tomorrow, and if the Mun-Scarlets back to back was drawn 5-5, all likely results, that would leave the standings:

Scarlets 14
    Munster 13
    Northampton 11-12

I wouldn't put it past Northampton to win in Wales and beat Munster at home.
    In a group with three good teams in it, losing at home may not be the be all and end all.

I totally disagree. they are out of it . Not a hope.

But a tighter group makes it more likely that you'll get through on less points, and there were three good teams in it that year too.
    In fact, it's remarkably similar in standard!
    Irish lost to Scarlets twice that year iirc and drew with Leinster which ****ed them up.

I totally disagree. they are out of it . Not a hope.

Wow good logic, what part of my above hypothesis do you disagree with?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

So what? All that means is probably that less points will be needed to qualify, as teams won't be granted 2 free wins (unless Castres turn out really bad).

iroced wrote: »
    Well, I'd say it all depends on their result tomorrow in Castres. A defeat would be problematic for you.

Not problematic for me at all!

Wow good logic, what part of my above hypothesis do you disagree with?!

No need for insults mate. Scarlets and Munster will not lose at home. Thats my opinion. We will seem come Jan.

• Advertisement

No need for insults mate. Scarlets and Munster will not lose at home. Thats my opinion. We will seem come Jan.

Munster don't need to lose at home, and Parc Y Scarlets is hardly an impenetrable fortress! :p

Advertisement