Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sarumite wrote: »
    So I have three accounts (my main Irish account, a US account and a Swedish account since I am currently living in sweden). The only account with a credit card attached is my Irish account. However sony haven't sent an email to that account, only the other two accounts. weird!!

there is probably some order they're doing it in, you'll get it eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Mperrozzi

Headshot wrote: »
    Ill own up, i hacked the psn :D

It has the Attention of U.S. Homeland Security as well as the FBI who were currently investigating it, someone is gonna end up in Guantanamo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Sony to reveal PlayStation hack probe findings

TOKYO — Sony will reveal details of its internal probe into a massive theft of personal data from users of its PlayStation Network on Sunday, plus a timetable for bringing the network back into action, it said.
    The electronics giant said Saturday it would hold a news conference on the security breach of the online network, which may have involved the theft of credit card details and which it said this week was carried out by hackers.
    The PlayStation Network and Qriocity streaming music service were shut down on April 20 after what Sony described as an "external intrusion" and remain offline as the company upgrades security and works with Federal investigators.
    The United States, Britain, Australia and Hong Kong are investigating the hacking and theft of personal data from the network, which has 77 million users worldwide.
    A US House of Representatives panel Friday sent a letter to Kazuo Hirai, chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment America, with questions on the data breach.
    "Given the amount and nature of personal information known to have been taken, the potential harm that could be caused if credit card information was also taken would be quite significant," said the letter from a panel of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, which was posted on the Internet.
    Sony has said users' credit card data was encrypted but could not rule out the possibility that card data was obtained by hackers.
    The committee also asked Sony to explain why it believes credit card information was not taken despite being unable to determine the exact scale of the theft.
    "The fact that encryption was being used on the credit card data is to be welcomed -- as it reduces the chances of stolen information being used for fraud," Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Internet security firm Sophos, said on his blog.
    "However, there still remains the question about just how strong the encryption is that Sony used."
    Britain's Information Commissioner's Office said it had contacted Sony, while Australia's Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim said he had launched an investigation.
    "We're seeing more and more now information being held globally, and it's more incumbent upon organisations to make sure they do have strong security systems in place to protect that information," he told broadcaster ABC earlier this week.
    Hong Kong Privacy Commissioner Allan Chiang said he was probing the breach and met with local Sony official Katsuhiko Murase who told him 400,000 Hong Kong PlayStation Network user accounts were involved.
    He said Murase told him the account information compromised includes the name, address, country, email address, birthdate, PSN password and login, and PSN online ID of users, but there was no evidence credit card data was taken.
    Sony is being sued in a US court by gamers who have accused the company of being negligent and breaching its contracts with PlayStation Network users.
    The company has not indicated whether it has identified a culprit in the intrusion.
    Internet vigilante group Anonymous had vowed retribution against Sony for taking legal action against hackers who cracked PS3 defences to change console operating software.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mperrozzi wrote: »

Tuesday? lets hope so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mperrozzi wrote: »

Bollix and there was me thinking it was back today:( Sort it out Sony FFS, its been nearly 2 weeks at this stage:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I wonder how much sony can lose before they say alright we are not making consoles anymore

Apperntly 21% of consumer are considering switiching consoles
    I think those that use cc wont be using them again on psn
    This hack costing hem 24 billion and they are continued being sued

Be bad if the worse comes outta this, i aint getting an xbox if anything happens to ps brand :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I wonder how much sony can lose before they say alright we are not making consoles anymore

Apperntly 21% of consumer are considering switiching consoles
    I think those that use cc wont be using them again on psn
    This hack costing hem 24 billion and they are continued being sued

Be bad if the worse comes outta this, i aint getting an xbox if anything happens to ps brand :pac::pac:
    24 Billion!? - wow. Have you got a source to that?

Webmonkey wrote: »

Here , pretty bad they are taking a massive it , i feel for the worst some studios are going to close down http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/85854/psn-hack-could-cost-sony-24-billion/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Id say its 24 billion Yen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Here , pretty bad they are taking a massive it , i feel for the worst some studios are going to close down http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/85854/psn-hack-could-cost-sony-24-billion/

:( That's bad
    Id say its 24 billion Yen.

It says 24 billion dollars on that though :(

Damn, hope doesn't affect me since they employ me!

Whats scary is that 24 billion can rise , sony being sued , i just wonder how long sony gonna keep getting hit before they call it a day , there has even being reports that anonymous said when the servers are back up they are gonna hit sony even harder. 50 million incident consumers like us are stuck in this war absolute ridiciouls whats being going on the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

The latest Game Informer podcast mentions the 24 billion figure. It's the maximum it could potentially cost, based on an article, i think i Forbes, that said that the cost of a security breach in relation to credit cards is usually around $313 for each affected user. So the 24 billion figure is based on 77 million affected credit card users which isn't the case. Firstly we don't known yet if credit card details are affected, if it's all the credit card details. Secondly, it's not 77 million unique users, I have multiple PSN accounts as do a lot of people. Also not everyone has a credit card on file. Game informer guessed that maybe it could be around the billion dollar mark, about the same as Microsoft lost on RROD extended warranties.

The 24 billlion figure is a hyperbolic figure that's being thrown around. It is probably going to cost Sony a lot of money, but not that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

There's people on twitter playing Blackops online... dunno how true it is though

That's the cost to the people, banks and insurers.

$318 for each record lost * 77 million registered users, most of who probably have a US post code of 90210.

Sony can't effectively be sued in the US now that the supreme court there has change the rules to allow a company to prevent class action lawsuits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Varik wrote: »
    $318 for each record lost * 77 million registered users, most of who probably have a US post code of 90210.

I know one of mine is 90210, that's the zip code I used when I set up my US account.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Brian017 wrote: »
    There's people on twitter playing Blackops online... dunno how true it is though

Yeah on XBL, the cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

This could be how, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Desire. wrote: »

works, thanks :P

lordlame wrote: »
    works, thanks :P

Did you actually do it? Is there many people online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Desire. wrote: »
    Did you actually do it? Is there many people online?

its obviously a loser on youtube making you download the link...VIRUS???

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

It's not true and if there is anything that you need to download or access by clicking a link don't do it. PSN won't be back up til tuesday at the very earliest and with this live broadcast from Tokyo 2pm Sunday their time about how long more we have to wait before PSN is back and what improvements have been made.

Have to wait till 6am to hear what's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Maybe they decided to work really really hard and start the PSN up early. Giving us the Bank holiday :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

What's the betting a big 200MB file update will be needed to download when it does come back. Given the circumstances, it will probably be 300MB. Not user friendly for mobile broadband limits.

Interested in hearing what Sony have to say soon - press conference starts in just over two hours, I think. I hope they announce cross-game chat and that the PSN will be back Monday or Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

covering the press conference live as best i can right now

http://clickonline.com/Games/Sony_PSN_Press_Conference_Live/1250/

free playstation plus for all users for 30 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Give me the new black ops maps for free and plants vs zombies and ill be happy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

SOME PLAYSTATION NETWORK AND QRIOCITY SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK

Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally; System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information.

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

• Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
    • This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
    • Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
    • Access to account management and password reset
    • Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
    • PlayStation®Home
    • Friends List
    • Chat Functionality

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
    • Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
    • Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
    • Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services.”

Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program

While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
    • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
    • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.

For more information about the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services intrusion and restoration, please visit http://blog.us.playstation.com or http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

About Sony Corporation

Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $78 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2010. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes and markets the PlayStation® game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system and the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3 is an advanced computer system, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell processor with super computer like power. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Damn you hackers! Now us glorious plus subscribers have to mingle with the common peons for a month. They better not touch anything with their dirty hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Grayditch wrote: »
    Damn you hackers! Now us glorious plus subscribers have to mingle with the common peons for a month. They better not touch anything with their dirty hands.

LMFAO :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Somethings better than nothing I guess. Far from a fan of PSN Plus but hey it's free!

Alas, it will expire before the Uncharted 3 beta kicks off. It might be a trap - lure us in with freebies!

Anyway, it's coming back, guess that's the main thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I assume the PSN+ will only go into affect after the store goes back up in a month? Wouldn't be much point otherwise..

Also what about online passes? Like in MK? If you redeem the code can you download the unlock key from the store even though the store won't be up?

Liked this chart of users broken down by country:
    yvfye.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I'm guessing rumours of cross game chat were BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What is PSN plus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What is PSN plus?

Come here son an i'll tell ya a tale....

Or to be more precise, the US PS Blog shall tall ya a tale...

http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/

What is PSN plus?
    It's a paid subscription service that gives you :
    "PlayStation Store discounts and free PlayStation Network games and Downloadable Content (DLC), PSone Classics and PlayStation Minis which the user will own for the duration of their subscription as well as themes and avatars which the user can keep after their subscription has lapsed. PlayStation Plus also offers "Full Game Trials" of some PlayStation Network and retail games, allowing the user to download the full game and use it for one hour. Users can later purchase the game and continue their progress".
    Also has cloud saves and some other functionality.

Edit : Late, derp.

hmm so what happens with us psn+ subscribers as our sub has been ticking away day by day with no access to it :S ? will we get them days back?..we bloody we should + free stuff (non SH!TE psn stuff)

leist it should be back in time for black ops double xp, im assuming we will get it cos we got it last time when xbox got the map pack ?

edit: just saw we get a extra 30 day psn+ membership and other sh!te lol... give us all a code to get the black ops maps free when they come out :P hmm thatl mean they are giving huge money to the other money robbers lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,623 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so thats it ?

Using psn+ to try smooth things over, what a joke

so thats it ?

giving non psn+ people the chance to get addicted to the exciting *FREE* downloads every so often, good tactics tbh:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

MarkY91 wrote: »
    edit: just saw we get a extra 30 day psn+ membership and other sh!te lol... give us all a code to get the black ops maps free when they come out :P hmm thatl mean they are giving huge money to the other money robbers lol
    Call of Duty is an Activision game, you'd never see them let someone give their stuff away for free.
    so thats it ?

Read the press release more carefully:
    • Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
    • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
    • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
    By "selected PlayStation entertainment content" they mean a free game or games. Music Unlimited is also supposed to be pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

"New PS3 update will force owners to change passwords - passwords can only be changed on PS3 on which the account was originally created''

what happens to people who have got new PS3's like me. will their account be forever lost now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Surely a free fivers worth of a subscription and a free game or two is worth an invasion of privacy and potential credit card fraud?

No?

Remember that we're not necessarily entitled to anything though, so something, not matter how small, is better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,623 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

GothPunk wrote: »
    Call of Duty is an Activision game, you'd never see them let someone give their stuff away for free.

Read the press release more carefully:
    By "selected PlayStation entertainment content" they mean a free game or games. Music Unlimited is also supposed to be pretty good.

selected games= bunch of ****e ones

If they actually improved features in psn like cross game chat etc I would say fair enough but you know its going to be ****e games that they'll give and the psn+ is crap tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I assume the PSN+ will only go into affect after the store goes back up in a month? Wouldn't be much point otherwise..

Also what about online passes? Like in MK? If you redeem the code can you download the unlock key from the store even though the store won't be up?

Liked this chart of users broken down by country:
    yvfye.jpg

source for that pic???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I wonder will people with US accounts and Irish accounts get a month free with ps+ and the download for the US account. It says each territory will get a download, so I'm assuming its a different one for each place. Don't see why not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

"New PS3 update will force owners to change passwords - passwords can only be changed on PS3 on which the account was originally created''

what happens to people who have got new PS3's like me. will their account be forever lost now?

No your account will not be lost they are setting up a Verified e-mail confirmation process to activate it on your replacement ps3

Shin

mystic86 wrote: »
    source for that pic???
    An attendee at the event, who did a live translation - Mark McDonald works at 8-4, a video game localisation company in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

selected games= bunch of ****e ones

If they actually improved features in psn like cross game chat etc I would say fair enough but you know its going to be ****e games that they'll give and the psn+ is crap tbh.
    I think with E3 coming up soon they might be saving the announcement of any new firmware features for then. They need to get everything up and running again before they can think about adding on new features I would have thought.

Maybe we should wait and see what happens first before we get our knickers in a pre-emptive twist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

i-8Wvvm6p-L.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement