Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ratoath Road/Reillys Bridge level crossing elimination

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SeanW wrote: »
    It will also likely allow a greater number of Maynooth line trains, so that (assuming your journey is "turn up and go") you will likely spend less time waiting for a train.

Not sure it'll have that much of an impact, adding further gate closures to the other LCs will still be difficult to get away with. If train lengths are anything to go by there isn't any stock for more trains in peak and off-peak gate closures aren't an issue.

Porterstown also needs closing ASAP, it would have done but for the five mammies a morning that believe its a quicker route to the schools than the bridge it was pushed out till after the local elections. If you hit the lengthy closures for when two Sligo trains pass its sure as hell not any quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MYOB wrote: »
    Not sure it'll have that much of an impact, adding further gate closures to the other LCs will still be difficult to get away with. If train lengths are anything to go by there isn't any stock for more trains in peak and off-peak gate closures aren't an issue.
    There are plans to remove as many as they can.

Victor wrote: »
    There are plans to remove as many as they can.

Yet political intransigence for short-term gain means that one that's been obsoleted for years is still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well it will eliminate potential delays due to the gates not being opened in time for the trains.

But no change in scheduled running times for the trains.

The traffic on the Ratoath Road will benefit greatly due to not being held up any more at the crossing.

Not to mention that any benefit by means of improvement in speed on this section that might arise would be temporary if the station between Broombridge and Ashtown (for which a planning application has been made) comes to pass........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Is this still scheduled for completion in early 2015 or is there any chance it could open ahead of schedule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

Drove past the other day with no real sign of "Newlands-cross" type urgency. 2015 early looks like they are on target for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

It's beginning to look very ready for use:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Jebus... Any word on when this will open?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Probably waiting for the right minister to check his diary to confirm availability to open it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is there any plan to close the lc at Broomebridge? Is there any pedestrian over bridge to get to the tram stop to the city bound train line when the lc is closed?

Is there any plan to remove the lc at ashtown? Seems disastrous planning to allow the building so close to the train line/level crossing there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is no level crossing at Broombridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't think they'll ever be able to eliminate the LC at Ashtown, unless they decide to close the road and stop trains going through for a while to build a bridge... there's just no other reasonable pathway for a bridge like there was at Ratoath Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jebus... Any word on when this will open?

Bridge is apparently open from this coming Wednesday.

January wrote: »
    I don't think they'll ever be able to eliminate the LC at Ashtown, unless they decide to close the road and stop trains going through for a while to build a bridge... there's just no other reasonable pathway for a bridge like there was at Ratoath Road.

Ashtown is definitely planned, unlike the probably easier crossings beyond Clonsilla which weren't on the last list I saw. Much quieter roads and less train paths on those, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

At ashtown they wont be able to build over the line as the incline would probably be too much (the finglas side of the bridge is a downward hill. Rather they might build UNDER the line instead since theres plenty of road space on the navan road side and it would be able level with the finglas side much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭SeanW

Bridge is apparently open from this coming Wednesday.
    Nice. Will the level crossing be closed right away?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Infini2 wrote: »
    At ashtown they wont be able to build over the line as the incline would probably be too much (the finglas side of the bridge is a downward hill. Rather they might build UNDER the line instead since theres plenty of road space on the navan road side and it would be able level with the finglas side much easier.

Going under would be a big deal given that there's not just the canal but a deeper canal lock, the train line, the train station, the historic bridge, the old house between the railway and the canal, and the new building (with basements etc?).

Given the above, the minor nature of the road and the fact the new bridge is only a few minutes down the road, maybe the level crossing should be just closed with an under/over bridge just for walking and cycling?

SeanW wrote: »
    Nice. Will the level crossing be closed right away?

Yes, Wednesday is the end of the crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Infini2 wrote: »

Hard to believe all that development got planning permission around Ashtown station and no definitive plans for the elimination of the crossing gates wasn't included.

Once again the opening/closing date has been put back; this time it's due to a few delays in finishing the road works. The new date is Monday 16th at noon when the bridge will open and the level crossing will simultaneously.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, Losty. I was peering at the scaffolding and loose wires as the bus went over the Level Crossing this morning and I thought, there's no way that will be finished by tmw... Monday the 16th isn't too long to wait. *smiles wanly*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Once again the opening/closing date has been put back; this time it's due to a few delays in finishing the road works. The new date is Monday 16th at noon when the bridge will open and the level crossing will simultaneously.

Is the bridge open?

I passed by it yesterday and it looked like some work is still to be completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

celticbest wrote: »
    Is the bridge open?

I drove by this morning and it kinda looks done, but there was nobody working on it and the barriers are still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Just walked by it and there are 15-20 workers still working on the bridge and its surroundings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

The local rumours have it opening very soon. Must email DCC to get some sort of definite answer.

celticbest wrote: »
    Is the bridge open?

It's been put back again as there are still a few outstanding jobs to do on the approach road; this time till March 4th.

It's been put back again as there are still a few outstanding jobs to do on the approach road; this time till March 4th.

What?? *throws things*

God Damnnnnnnnnnn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Woo-Hoo!! Heading over there in the next half hour. Can't wait to see it in action!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

great - one less level crossing to worry about - I wonder will it shave off a minute or two on the rail trips?

ongarboy wrote: »
    great - one less level crossing to worry about - I wonder will it shave off a minute or two on the rail trips?

Not quite. The level crossing will be open for a couple of weeks to allow work traffic in and out to deal with walling and sealing off the old crossing but this will be minimal as such. Once done and the associated signal for the crossing are moved, Reilly's will be history and the city will have just three staff operated level crossings left in service.

The bridge won't make any material different to train times bar the odd minute or two if there was a delay in closing the gates. The main difference will be felt on the Ratoath Road itself; traffic can expect to save up to 10 minutes at peak times.

A joy to travel over on the way home from work!

Cycled over it this afternoon and it looked great. Can't wait to see how much it trims off the journey time of the 120 bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Love the way the Irish Cycle article starts with:
    "A new €9.8 bridge opened today...."

Nine euro and eighty cent for a bridge? Not bad! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Love the way the Irish Cycle article starts with:
    "A new €9.8 bridge opened today...."

Nine euro and eighty cent for a bridge? Not bad! :D

Err... Fixed. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

The new layout (including the new ramp that turns out to be a shared pedestrian and bicycle space, oh dear...) is now mapped on OpenStreetMap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Um, I thought it was meant to cost only about half of this. :confused:

Unless, there is improvement in rail services, will this just be moving traffic queues from A to B?
    mackerski wrote: »
    The new layout (including the new ramp that turns out to be a shared pedestrian and bicycle space, oh dear...) is now mapped on OpenStreetMap.
    Shameful that it took a whole day to map! :pac:

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Unless, there is improvement in rail services, will this just be moving traffic queues from A to B?

I would sincerely hope that when this and Porterstown are officially stopped up (Porterstown being delayed by political fiddling and nothing more) that they can tighten the timetables or add paths. Well, both hopefully.

L1011 wrote: »
    I would sincerely hope that when this and Porterstown are officially stopped up (Porterstown being delayed by political fiddling and nothing more) that they can tighten the timetables or add paths. Well, both hopefully.

This will not have any bearing on rail timetables.

Trains already operate at line speed at both locations, and are scheduled on that basis.

The main impact will be to improve road traffic flows, while also improving reliability on the railway.

This will not have any bearing on rail timetables.

Trains already operate at line speed at both locations, and are scheduled on that basis.

The main impact will be to improve road traffic flows, while also improving reliability on the railway.

The new signal arrangement will be for the signals protecting the crossing to be moved up line to create a new block section. While it won't improve speeds it will offer an additional block section on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Absolutely on the way home it's fab but tried it yesterday morning on the way to work and the queue was unreal. Couldn't get across to the bridge on green for ages. Worse than before!

athtrasna wrote: »
    Absolutely on the way home it's fab but tried it yesterday morning on the way to work and the queue was unreal. Couldn't get across to the bridge on green for ages. Worse than before!

I do be hitting the bridge between 7.30-7.45am and usually just breeze over. I'd imagine the two schools have an impact on the bridge from about 8.30-9.30am.

A quick bump here.

The level crossing will finally be closed and decommissioned at midday tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I doubt that very much. My 9.55 departure (ex Leixlip) to Connolly takes 27 minutes and the next departure at 10.21 takes 36 minutes. That's a third more time to do the same journey.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I doubt that very much. My 9.55 departure (ex Leixlip) to Connolly takes 27 minutes and the next departure at 10.21 takes 36 minutes. That's a third more time to do the same journey.

What has that to do with Reilly's Crossing and it's removal? That's a completely different issue.

My point was that there are no speed restrictions on that section of track either side of the level crossing and as such line speed is applicable.

Removing the crossing is not going to change the speed of the trains, but it ought to mean better reliability.

Where is the delay / padding though?

I've had a train leave Maynooth nearly 10 minutes late and arrive on time, although it's dwell time left one girl in Clonsilla as she assumed she had time to select a carriage and didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭factnee

Is it just me or has this made any difference to other people in the morning? The queues on the Ratoath Road are still crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

factnee wrote: »
    Is it just me or has this made any difference to other people in the morning? The queues on the Ratoath Road are still crazy

Only in one direction...

• Advertisement
Advertisement