Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ratoath Road/Reillys Bridge level crossing elimination

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

€10 million, eh. These bridges don't seem to be getting cheaper. Good old EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When the stopping up order for the LC here are being done, are they going to remember to do Porterstown? Or are we going to be left with a pointless LC that presumably imposes a speed restriction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There was a site on the Finglas side which had to be purchased before anything could be done to move this on. A landowner apparently held the project up for several years by refusing to sell up. The new bridge is 70 metres long all told and there will be a bit of road laying as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There was a site on the Finglas side which had to be purchased before anything could be done to move this on. A landowner apparently held the project up for several years by refusing to sell up. The new bridge is 70 metres long all told and there will be a bit of road laying as well.

Campbell's garage maybe?
    I'm nearly sure he was the only/largest objector to the project.

kceire wrote: »
    Campbell's garage maybe?
    I'm nearly sure he was the only/largest objector to the project.

Campbell's garage isn't on the route of the realigned road though they objected to the new bridge. The link below has the approximate route.

http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/DublinCityDevelopmentPlan/Dev0511/VariationstotheDevelopmentPlan/Documents/Var._No_40_Map.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's a bit of a shame that they put such a motorist's slant on the article. The many benefits to train services are almost mentioned as an afterthought at the end of the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Spotted an electronic display on the Ratoath Road this morning saying "Major Road Works from August 19th. Use Other Route".

No sign of any actual roadworks yet but some activity in the site next to the current bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

There was a stop /go in place yesturday afternoon as they began work on the grassed area beside Rathoath Estate. Very busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Assuming there is disruption to rail services on the line, would anybody know how big they would be?

Weekends only? (Hopes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Any work that would affect the line would take place at night or over a bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Campbell's garage isn't on the route of the realigned road though they objected to the new bridge. The link below has the approximate route.

http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/DublinCityDevelopmentPlan/Dev0511/VariationstotheDevelopmentPlan/Documents/Var._No_40_Map.pdf

There's enough spare land(or now to be waste) between the proposed route and old Ratoath road(which will be closed) to fit a new train station there ;)

By the way, I predict if you stop on the new bridge, you will be able to see a whole swathe of Dublin in the distance. You can see as far as Howth Head on the present bridge.

gurramok wrote: »
    There's enough spare land(or now to be waste) between the proposed route and old Ratoath road(which will be closed) to fit a new train station there ;).

There is/was proposals for one there but nothing concrete as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

There is/was proposals for one there but nothing concrete as of yet.

That proposal went to Dublin City Council earlier this year. I had a look at the plans for the station at that stage and, from what I could see, the new station would be located further up the canal, beside Royal Canal Park, with access from Ashington also. Which - hopefully - would put an and to the sight of children dashing across the railway line from Ashington to get to the Centra in RCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

gurramok wrote: »
    There's enough spare land (or now to be waste) between the proposed route and old Ratoath Road (which will be closed) to fit a new train station there ;)
    Just what we need; another station to make the average speed of trains slower.

MGWR wrote: »

Well, I live in RCP, so I'm biased - but I do think that there's enough business locally to justify a station. Particularly if there was access from Ashington, a cul-de-sac served only by the 122 bus.
    The Pelletstown station would be far less of a white elephant than some other stations I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

MGWR wrote: »

Actually the plan was to build the station there at Ratoath Crossing so they could outright $hitcan Broombridge permenantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Infini2 wrote: »
    Actually the plan was to build the station there at Ratoath Crossing so they could outright $hitcan Broombridge permenantly.
    What about Line D's terminus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gama90

So does that mean the current bridge is going to be dismantled? I saw serious works on the ratoath road on Saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I doubt they'll demolish the existing bridge. Canal bridges are generally listed structures AFAIK. I can't think of a case where one has been demolished in recent years. They'll likely leave it for pedestrians to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Not sure what use it has once the railway is fenced off. Might be used as part of a walking path to the proposed Pelletstown station, or just an access point to the line for IE.

• Advertisement

It looks on the ground like there's two separate roadways being laid parallel to the existing road on the Cabra side with one ramping up to the new bridge, maybe the old bridge will be connected to the other new lane for access to the tyre shop from Cabra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bridge deck is sitting beside the new abutments and there's a huge crane in place also. Anyone know if there's a track possession for the lift scheduled?

MYOB wrote: »
    Bridge deck is sitting beside the new abutments and there's a huge crane in place also. Anyone know if there's a track possession for the lift scheduled?

The end of October was what I heard.

The end of October was what I heard.

I heard in July that the lifting into place would take place in August. Obviously, that's incorrect but surely, with that large crane in situ, the metal bridge will be hoisted up this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was just thinking of this today as I passed it. Will train services need to be suspended for the installation of the bridge or will it all be done out of hours/weekends?

ongarboy wrote: »
    I was just thinking of this today as I passed it. Will train services need to be suspended for the installation of the bridge or will it all be done out of hours/weekends?

Done overnight but that doesn't mean it won't disrupt services: http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0552/D.0552.200204170099.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bridge went up last night I think.

Bridge went up last night I think.

Yep, late enough as well. The crossing is still open for the time being pending the usual testing etc of the bridge as well as work on the road realignment.

• Advertisement

Happened to drive past on Friday night when it was being moved. Lots of activity and a large audience, unfortunately couldn't stop for a proper look.

Went past there last night - still lots of work to be done but it looks great so far. Can't wait for it to be finished...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Must have been engrossed in my smartphone. Forgot to notice it this morning. Will keep an eye out for it this evening on my way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sclob

I took some photos od the bridge today, how do I add them to a post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Sclob wrote: »
    I took some photos od the bridge today, how do I add them to a post?

After you have clicked 'post'
    you will see the option ' attach files' on the bottom. Click on this and it should bring you to whatever photos you have on your phone/ computer desktop

D Trent wrote: »
    After you have clicked 'post'
    you will see the option ' attach files' on the bottom. Click on this and it should bring you to whatever photos you have on your phone/ computer desktop

Hi D Trent, thanks for that, haven't found attach files yet. Using IE 11. When I press Post Reply I get the following in the Reply to thread area Title: Message: and Post Icons, Preview Post and Submit Reply

Under that is Additional Options section with Thread Subscription and Rate Thread

Under that is a Topic Review area. Don't see attach files anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Sclob wrote: »
    Hi D Trent, thanks for that, haven't found attach files yet. Using IE 11. When I press Post Reply I get the following in the Reply to thread area Title: Message: and Post Icons, Preview Post and Submit Reply

Under that is Additional Options section with Thread Subscription and Rate Thread

Under that is a Topic Review area. Don't see attach files anywhere.

I dont think new users are allowed attach files, you need to rack up 50 posts first.

I dont think new users are allowed attach files, you need to rack up 50 posts first.

Ahhh that's it.

Go on Sclob rack up 48 more posts there no matter how pointless they are.

I wanna see these photos !

Stick them up on wthax.org our a similar site and post the links

Uploaded them to imageshack but got "You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user." when I posted link. They don't make it easy.

I have a suggestion. I have created an account in imageshack, created an album called Reilly's Bridge, uploaded 16 images to it. If I select them all and press get link I get a long list of links which I have. If someone wants to pm me I will email them the links and you can post the links if you have over 50 posts on Boards. Would that work?

... or are you not allowed pm someone who has less than 50 posts?

• Advertisement

D Trent I pm'ed you with the links to the photos on imageshack if you want to check them and post them?

Its a hell of a bridge, six posts ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can post links, just delete everything up to and including the www bit.

So instead of posting http://www.boards.ie post boards.ie

Images courtesy of Sclob
    UpXE0g.jpg

0ptG6a.jpg

y8cSou.jpg

HbJSYr.jpg

62PgWe.jpg

TRajXk.jpg
    qsLTvc.jpg
    mvvZae.jpg
    ZjiK6h.jpg

"The bridge span is 70m with a width of 15.4m to the outside of the steelwork. The Steel structure was manufactured by Horta Coslada in Madrid. The weight of the lift is approximately 330 tonnes comprising approximately 305 tonnes of structural steel work with an additional 25 tonnes of tackle and hook block. The weight of the overall bridge is approximately 1620 tonnes including structural steel, structural concrete, pavement, parapets and finishes. The Crane which will be used to lift the bridge into position has come in by sea from the UK.

The new bridge will, in tandem with other planned projects, allow for future increased capacity on the rail line for train services. It will also eliminate major road congestion at the crossing, with 107 trains passing through the level crossing each day, including up to 55 services at peak times causing constant traffic queues while the gates are closed. "
    http://www.irishrail.ie/reillyscrossing

Put http colon forward slash forward slash in front of the omg in each of these. In fact if the first one works just change the number to view the next:

omg.wthax.org/Photo0154.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0155.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0156.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0158.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0159.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0160.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0161.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0162.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0163.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0164.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0165.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0166.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0167.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0168.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0169.jpg
    omg.wthax.org/Photo0170.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Will this have an immediate effect of shaving any journey time off train commutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well it will eliminate potential delays due to the gates not being opened in time for the trains.

But no change in scheduled running times for the trains.

The traffic on the Ratoath Road will benefit greatly due to not being held up any more at the crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭SeanW

It will also likely allow a greater number of Maynooth line trains, so that (assuming your journey is "turn up and go") you will likely spend less time waiting for a train.

• Advertisement
Advertisement