Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

In the slow cooker now, 20 or so hours on low should have a nice and tasty hangover cure for Thursday cooked up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just came home to this on its 8th hour in the slow cooker, kitchen smells delish:D

I added a couple of tablespoons of hickory liquid smoke to the cooking liquids this time so I'm interested to see how it lends flavour to the pork. Roll on dinner time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Trying this for the first time,went and bought what I thought were all the ingredients only to get home and find I've no paprika....any suggestions for substitutes for the dry rub?? I have everything except the paprika,would rather not wait till tomorrow to do the dry rub!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

1.5kg's of this just gone into the fridge sans dry rub.

Debating whether to smoke it, roast it or put it in the slow cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

substituted pakrika with some cayenne/brown sugar mixture, turned out unreal! will definitely be making this again (also surprised at the quantity you get out of it once its been pulled!)

• Advertisement

Can't find molasses anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Super-Rush wrote: »

It's normally in the baking section.

Won't make a huge (if any) difference if you can't find it though.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's normally in the baking section.

Won't make a huge (if any) difference if you can't find it though.

I checked the baking section of two Tescos and a SuperValu and nothing.

I saw on their website that Holland & Barrett carry molasses but not blackstrap.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Try a health shop. That's where I got mine. One that has flax seeds and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Question..... is it sometimes called 'Treacle' ????

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Masala wrote: »

No. That's for cakes really. Molasses is black.

Neyite wrote: »
    No. That's for cakes really. Molasses is black.

You can get black treacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Masala wrote: »

Nope, different things, different (well, slightly) taste. But you can use either (and I have) and it still tastes great...

BTW, is it just me noticing this, or are home baking sections in the larger supermarkets shrinking and making these things harder to find of late?

You can get black treacle.

Yeah, but black treacle isn't the same as blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap has a more aggressive sort of a taste, it's not just pure sugar. Blackstrap is made out of the stuff that comes off the raw sugar during refining; but black treacle is made from the syrup the process makes out of the sugar. So a treacle's always from later in the process and is a touch more refined. (A touch, however, doesn't mean a huge amount; if you've never made this dish before, just use either, you won't tell the difference. If you have made it with one, you'll know it's a bit different when you make it with the other, but it won't be by very much and which you prefer is personal).

Got the molasses in SuperValu.

I found it beside the fish sauce of all places. No wonder I couldn't find it yesterday.

Ok so now everything is in the slow cooker.

I followed the measurements but we've a big slow cooker and the liquid barely came up to half way so i added a bit more coke.

The smell of the meat when i unwrapped it was amazing. It was rubbed on Saturday.

I followed the measurements but we've a big slow cooker and the liquid barely came up to half way so i added a bit more coke.
    That's grand; some slow cookers run hotter than others as well, so check on the liquid level once or twice in case it drops. If it doesn't, no worries, if it does, just top it up a bit with more coke.
    The smell of the meat when i unwrapped it was amazing. It was rubbed on Saturday.
    You think it's good now, wait till it's cooked :D

So after 26 hours i ended up with this.

24A4CCAB85C44FFAB04A108AD48D3285-0000324468-0003721718-00500L-5734F140A55D4C2AB45DE9AFD6A5E91C.jpg

22819680FE3947408237D14A759942F4-0000324468-0003721717-00500L-55F9501ED32A495FAF06EC108EDF1410.jpg

Fantastic recipe Sparks. It will be repeated many many times in this house.

Glad you liked it super-rush!

• Advertisement

I was too busy gorging on pork sandwiches yesterday to write a whole lot :pac:

I was left with about 3-4 liters of cooking juice once the pork was finished cooking. I didn't want to throw it out because there were some really good flavours going on in my crock pot. So having purchased some bacon ribs, i decided to make a sauce to go with them.

To the existing liquid as laid out by Sparks which i reduced down to about 3/4 of a liter, i added ketchup, more molasses, onion and celery powder, dark brown sugar, cider vinegar, liquid smoke, salt, pepper and cayenne and blitzed it along with the garlic cloves and the onion and chili.

I left this blipping away on the hob for 45 mins and bottled it. I basted the ribs for the second half of their cook (5 hrs in total) with the sauce. I consider myself a pretty good cook and this was one of the best sauces i've made.

Those original flavours left over from the pulled pork cook made this sauce so good. Kudos again Sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sparks, you're a legend! :)

After our pretty cautious January with plenty of lean Turkey mince and good healthy-ish things, a Feb 1 pig-out was called for. :rolleyes:

Well done on a great recipe and sticking with all the posters over the years.

My question is, I have a tonne of leftover pork. What do you suggest? :)

Here's our pulled pork with apple coleslaw, baps, beetroot and cottage cheese salad and a lovely little slab of crackling.

F1145047-2807-4A8B-B2AA-8DDE826B2671_zps5s0juam6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

After our pretty cautious January with plenty of lean Turkey mince and good healthy-ish things, a Feb 1 pig-out was called for. :rolleyes:

Well done on a great recipe and sticking with all the posters over the years.

Here's our pulled pork with apple coleslaw, baps, beetroot and cottage cheese salad and a lovely little slab of crackling.

Looks great do you mind me asking how you did the crackling? Was thinking it would be a great way to use the trimmed off fat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

@ Gloomtastic - pulled pork freezes really well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

b.gud wrote: »
    Looks great do you mind me asking how you did the crackling? Was thinking it would be a great way to use the trimmed off fat.

Trimmed it off the shoulder of pork. Scored the skin with a sharp knife (which wasn't really sharp enough).

Rubbed the skin with a liberal amount of sunflower oil and sprinkled generously with salt.

Placed the skin on a grill rack and tray and placed them in the oven (the oven was 160c for the pork). After an hour or so when I took the pork out, the skin was still rubbery so I turned the oven up to 200c for 20 mins or so. Presto, rock hard and delicious! :)

:D
    Like Dizzy says, it freezes well, but I generally just eat it too fast to worry about it beyond the fridge stage. Great as a sandwich filling yes, but also fantastic as a pizza topping; you could make bread rolls and wrap some up in the dough to make stuffed bread rolls (the way you put a pat of butter into the dough when making parkerhouse rolls), you can mix it in with pasta for a great mac'n'cheese dish, dollop it on tortilla chips to make brilliant nachos, it's nice in quesidillas (especially if you put some chopped jalapenos in there - the heat from the chilli goes brilliantly with the pulled pork), and of course, there's the pulled pork mission-style burritto, a large floured tortilla with a layer of rice, pulled pork, jalapenos, cheese and all rolled up into one glorious lunch...

Feck. I'm hungry now...
    Looks fantastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Apologies if asked already, anyone try pork neck for this??? Butcher is closed, but they have the neck in one of those Polonez shops around the corner!

Apologies if asked already, anyone try pork neck for this??? Butcher is closed, but they have the neck in one of those Polonez shops around the corner!

You could get a roast pork joint in Super Valu for a fiver at the moment. Not long after pulling one apart and devouring it. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

You could get a roast pork joint in Super Valu for a fiver at the moment. Not long after pulling one apart and devouring it. Very nice.

Intermaresting! Did you change up the dry rub or cooking time at all or do the same?

• Advertisement

Intermaresting! Did you change up the dry rub or cooking time at all or do the same?

Same rub as I used before and went for 22 hours this time. Hunger got the best of me.

Advertisement