Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Earphones at Great Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cathalibm

I picked up a pair of headphones in txmax for €25 called urban beats. Not a bad pair, they come with a build in mic. I got them in black and red. The sound quality is not bad. I also say some skullcandy hearphones for bout €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Brian wrote: »

Hey man im very interested in these headphones, and at €50 seems like a good price. Have you tried them? Worth it?

cheers.

Yes I've tried them, they're very capable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://www.blitzme.ie/

AIAIAI TMA-1 HEADPHONES WITH REMOTE + MIC

90€ down from 180€ they have got some pretty decent reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00404H6DQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356137638&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I just posted this in BA, and thought about it afterwards, i should have posted here first.

Are these any good?

http://www.xears.com/produkte/supreme-reference-xsr330pro

Use the Code: HIGHEND4ME

To get them reduced down to €30 - Shipping stays at €8 (Which isn't bad).

That code also reduces THESE to €30 - I jus tried the code, and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Looked them up and found this. Seemed to be good for the money, but not that robust.
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/545450/xears-appreciation-thread-formerly-td-iii/900

the sony earphones as recommended by head-fi still available for 1/2 nothing. really amazing sound quality (particularly separation and clarity) for the price. mid to high bass level. I bought a second pair as reserve. sound quality on these rated as good as mid to high level shure and westone iems.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Headset-SmartKey-Control-XPERIA/dp/B008OG16EQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357570136&sr=8-1

(note - great for general purpose listening. don't be put off that they are originally designed for smartphones - work fine with mp3 players. may not function as a smartphone control - sort of phone dependent - google your phone with earphones. also, not good for use as sports headphones due to microphonics (i.e. sound caused by cable moving around)).

SERIOUSLY worth a shot at this price. you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

glasso wrote: »
    the sony earphones as recommended by head-fi still available for 1/2 nothing. really amazing sound quality (particularly separation and clarity) for the price. mid to high bass level. I bought a second pair as reserve. sound quality on these rated as good as mid to high level shure and westone iems.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Headset-SmartKey-Control-XPERIA/dp/B008OG16EQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357570136&sr=8-1

(note - great for general purpose listening. don't be put off that they are originally designed for smartphones - work fine with mp3 players. may not function as a smartphone control - sort of phone dependent - google your phone with earphones. also, not good for use as sports headphones due to microphonics (i.e. sound caused by cable moving around)).

SERIOUSLY worth a shot at this price. you won't be disappointed.

Got these with my XS.

Great for a phone inc headset. Ok in general. Sound is pretty nice, I prefer my old CX300IIs, but the finish on the buds is slippy which is a PITA. Still use them daily though :)

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Got these with my XS.

Great for a phone inc headset. Ok in general. Sound is pretty nice, I prefer my old CX300IIs, but the finish on the buds is slippy which is a PITA. Still use them daily though :)

I would say that sound beats the hell out of cx300's (which I have). you just have to get the fit right - took me a while to get it but now is fine...

Same, took me some time to get them to fit just right. Right ones ended up being smaller than I'd have guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Got the soundmagic E10s for €25 euros with free delivery from mp4nation. Got 5 star reviews from What Hifi and trusted reviews so it seems like a bargain. Anyone tried the before?

Got the soundmagic E10s for €25 euros with free delivery from mp4nation. Got 5 star reviews from What Hifi and trusted reviews so it seems like a bargain. Anyone tried the before?

not bad but I found the E30 a lot better. the sony mh1c beats both easily by a long way tho on sound quality and is even cheaper than what you paid for E10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

the sony mh1c beats both easily by a long way tho on sound quality and is even cheaper than what you paid for E10.

Where can you find the mh1c? Any time I've looked I've found similar models that were only compatible with Sony or Sony Ericsson phones (I forget which).

That and the RRP seems to be about £60.

Morf wrote: »
    Where can you find the mh1c? Any time I've looked I've found similar models that were only compatible with Sony or Sony Ericsson phones (I forget which).

That and the RRP seems to be about £60.

yes - it's originally meant for sony phones.
    however, it will work fine with all mp3 players.
    also the extra bits (mic, vol control) will work with some phones - google or search on head-fi to check.
    some phones (not mp3 players) might have an issue with the sound jack having to be 1/2 way in to get full sound.
    however, no worries if you're getting it for mp3 player primarily.
    see below for link on amazon. the cheaper price is for the phones + 4 sets of earbuds but not in full packaging. It is however, the real thing - just not in full box.
    the extra controls built into cable are not noticeable at all when using.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Headset-SmartKey-Control-XPERIA/dp/B008OG16EQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359009950&sr=8-1

Glasso do you use the smart button? I'd love to assign it to be next-track but I cant find an app to do it.

Tasker can probably do it on Android.

ED E wrote: »
    Glasso do you use the smart button? I'd love to assign it to be next-track but I cant find an app to do it.

I use the mh1c only for mp3 player use at the mo so can't answer that.

by the way if buying the mh1 c make sure that it's that model and not the older model mh1 bl. some sellers are apparently selling the mh1 bl mistakenly as mh1 c. read reviews on amazon or ebay of seller.

• Advertisement

Bought the sony mh1c's. They are the most frustrating earphones I've owned. The sound quality is excellent (tiny bit light on treble if I'm being picky) for the money but, god, the cable! The cable is extremely heavy (the added cable remote doesn't help either) and constantly pulls the earphones out even with the shirt clip. Also it seems none of the earbuds fit my ears correctly, despite never having this problem before with any other earphones.

While they are fine if your seated and not moving around much, using them while walking is completely impractical imo. It's a shame really because the sound quality is excellent. I see people on head-fi have been doing custom re-wiring jobs and that might be a solution for people who have those skills, but for me I think I'm just gonna have to pick up a new pair of earphone next time I see a deal.

I'd consider getting mine re-cabled. Can't keep them in at all unless I'm not moving. Worth the risk of damaging them.

BostonB wrote: »
    I'd consider getting mine re-cabled. Can't keep them in at all unless I'm not moving. Worth the risk of damaging them.

Yeah, it's infuriating! I'm back using the crap earphones I got with my phone when I leave the house because they just won't stay in for more than 5 seconds when I walk.

I'd definitely get them re-cabled but I don't know anywhere that would do it and I can't do it myself. Also considering I got them for around €20 I don't wanna have to spend a load getting them recabled...

Yeah, it's infuriating! I'm back using the crap earphones I got with my phone when I leave the house because they just won't stay in for more than 5 seconds when I walk.

I'd definitely get them re-cabled but I don't know anywhere that would do it and I can't do it myself. Also considering I got them for around €20 I don't wanna have to spend a load getting them recabled...

-use the clip on the earphones on top of shirt etc. helps a lot.
    -try different size tips (for different ears)
    -try different insertion points of the tips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Have the M4s about a year myself & they're absolutely fantastic & a real bargain at that price. Sound great with pretty much any music but particularly good with rock. The comply tips you get with them give good isolation so pretty much no sound leakage, very comfortable too.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Have the M4s about a year myself & they're absolutely fantastic & a real bargain at that price. Sound great with pretty much any music but particularly good with rock. The comply tips you get with them give good isolation so pretty much no sound leakage, very comfortable too.

What have you compared them with?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have them and think they are great, I've only compared them to worse cheaper earphones however.

-use the clip on the earphones on top of shirt etc. helps a lot.
    -try different size tips (for different ears)
    -try different insertion points of the tips.

Tried all of those unfortunately to no avail. With the shirt clip the right ear is nearly ok, but the left ear still has the weight of the controller dragging it out.

With the ear buds none of them seems to stay in correctly, maybe this is related the weight of the cable. Also the ear buds seem quite inflexible meaning that you either have to hammer one that's too big into your ear or settle for a very loose fit. The size of the nozzle is also a bit odd meaning most replacement earbuds won't fir correctly..

• Advertisement

Tried all of those unfortunately to no avail. With the shirt clip the right ear is nearly ok, but the left ear still has the weight of the controller dragging it out.

With the ear buds none of them seems to stay in correctly, maybe this is related the weight of the cable. Also the ear buds seem quite inflexible meaning that you either have to hammer one that's too big into your ear or settle for a very loose fit. The size of the nozzle is also a bit odd meaning most replacement earbuds won't fir correctly..

the earbuds did seem to soften up after a while for me. maybe taking the bud off and rolling it with your fingers on a hard surface for a while might help....

Advertisement