Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Previous days 6 Mile recovery run, on the grass in the park.

Today: 16 mile medium long run, with one decent hill climb, some lovely views, and a nasty head-wind for the last couple of miles. Familiar roads pieced together into a different route made for a lovely run, with sunshine... real sunshine! Today's schedule was for..well, nothing really. But having rested up yesterday, and with the sun making an appearance, I couldn't resist.

Summary: 16 miles in 2:04, @7:36/mile, HR=146 (76%).

4 Weeks to Connemara
    98 days to Edinburgh

Yesterday:
    Hal Higdons weights, followed by core strength stuff.
    Football - 90 mins +warm up/down - covered somewhere between 4 and 5 miles (depending on which tool you use). Took a few knocks during the game, so definitely giving it up now until after Connemara. :(

Oh, and on the subject of the great debate, football is definitely more physically brutal than running (sprint/stop, jumping, turning, tackling), it's just not as physically exhausting as running hard for the same duration.

Today:
    Schedule called for 10 miles with 5 miles at 15k-1/2 marathon pace. Got around 200 metres from the house and realized that last night's swollen ankle (following a tackle) was most definitely not gone, and that the shin pain (from a different tackle) was not going to let me run fast at all. So decided to do Thursday's 11 mile aerobic run, albeit at a slower pace. Frustrating, but has helped me make a decision (finally) about continuing playing the footie, until after the marathons.

Anyway, 11 miles at around 8min/mile, HR=139.

Spent two days living it up in Madrid, so no running, just booze, food, and other unhealthy pursuts. Managed to get a quick 5 miles in today, just to make sure that the legs still work. Hoping to do the Trooperstown IMRA race tomorrow, but the shins/ankles are still quite sore after football on Monday, so having some doubts. Is it better to participate and perform poorly, or not participate at all?

Summary: 5.3 miles in 38 mins @7:19/mile, HR=143

IMRA Trooperstown Race

*Warning, it took me longer to write this report than it did to run the race*

From my previous post, I was unsure about how I would perform in this race, and given this doubt, unsure whether or not I sure turn up at all. But being the third Boards AC runner, and having had a couple of rest days in Madrid (though to be fair, there was very little rest involved) I felt I should give it a go anyway. It was nice to meet the Boardsies before the race, for a bit of banter, then it was time to line-up.

This time, a different strategy - I decided I would start somewhere around where I finished the previous race, so I lined-up with around 20-30 runners ahead of me (having finished 26th in my previous race). Slogger Jogger and Donothoponpop were lined up just ahead of me, looking poised and alert, like pitbulls waiting for the command to attack. :D The race director went through his speech and I only half listened, the other half of me was listening out for the subtle change in the runners that would mark the start of the race. As it turns out, I should have paid more attention, as unexpected hill after hill threatened to wrack my body with lactic acid. For anyone new to IMRA races, either pre-run the course, or listen to the race director!

Ready, steady, go - we were off. As the race kicked off, I was very surprised at the pace. Sure, we were on a gentle ascent, but these guys in the leading pack were really pushing it. I stayed at the back of the pack and it soon calmed down. I realized that the initial push was the jostle for positions before the narrow path and climb made passing very difficult. I was quite content to hold up the rear of the first pack, but was soon surprised that some runners started drifting off the pace (may have started too far up the field) and I managed to get by a few of them. A kilometer or two of gentle (relatively-speaking!) climb, and I picked off a couple of runners, when suddenly, there in front of me was an orange beacon, that was to guide me the entire journey home. I couldn't believe my eyes. Donothoponpop was but a mere 200 metres ahead of me. Took me a while to catch up with him, as there were two runners between us, and I didn't want to tire myself just trying to catch dnhop, so I stuck to my own pace that eventually saw me drawing level.

This is where my race report and Donothoponpop's divert into separate realities. In my race report you won't find any mention of words like 'battle' or 'race'. I decided to leverage from his experience and try to stick to him as long as I could. I was hoping that this might reduce the chances that I might take a wrong turn (sometimes in these races, because of the landscape, you can find yourself with no-one visible ahead of you), but also take advantage of his pacing up the hills. It's true that occasionally I found a extra spurt of speed or took a slightly better line that found me ahead of him, but what remained in my mind was that if I could stick to him, I would have a good finish.

After 4 Kms of climbing I was indeed shouting/praying/anticipating the first bit of downhill, to catch my breath, and eventually it came, only to be replaced with another climb. As I headed towards the cairn that marked the end of the start of the first downhill, I was surprised to see a couple of runners ahead of us take a decidedly more 'direct' route past the cairn. Choice of path was an interesting variable during this section, as you could choose between the tractor/4x4 ruts, clip along atop the root-tangling heather, or take your chances with the sticky mud.

As I had anticipated, Dnhop soon took his rightful place as we headed towards Trooperstown Hill, and I took a moment to enjoy some of the breath-taking (!) views. Soon, another hill-climb, and at this stage, I was caving. The body was telling me that I shouldn't be challenging these hills at this pace, and in a soul-destroying moment of weakness, I gave in to my body's demands, and slowed to a walking climb, after seeing a runner ahead of us do the same. As a small pack behind us drew close, I picked up the pace again, and was surprised to see how quickly I could catch up with orange beacon, while leaving the trailing pack behind, so while not a positive attitude, at least it wasn't costing me too much.

Downhill on the scree, and thankfully, not as bad as I had been led to expect. I managed to stick within 100 metres of 'orange', as we both picked off a runner, who had previously been ahead of us, stopped to pee, and probably used too much energy reclaiming his former position. Down, down, down towards the finish line, I was praying to see the red cones that marked the end of my run, but with every twist in the road, another section that needed to be over-come. I had one ambition, and that was to finish behind Donothoponpop, but my legs were filling with lactic acid, and were begging me to slow down. I looked back, and saw a glimpse of a white T-Shirt, and that was enough to give me the final push to keep going to the finish line.

Still waiting for the official results, but as far as I'm concerned, Donothoponpop +1 is result enough for me. :D

Summary: 6.4 Hilly miles in 49:11, @7:35/mile, HR=173 (91%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

IMRA Trooperstown Race

This is where my race report and Donothoponpop's divert into separate realities. In my race report you won't find any mention of words like 'battle' or 'race'. I decided to leverage from his experience and try to stick to him as long as I could. I was hoping that this might reduce the chances that I might take a wrong turn

Did he not get lost in the last one or the one before that :D
    Well done Krusty all this IMRA will make connemara look like a stroll on the beach.

Great running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running and great report. Avg HR of 173 :eek: I was scared of similar results so choose not to wear the HR belt :)

Woddle wrote:
    Did he not get lost in the last one or the one before that
    Well done Krusty all this IMRA will make connemara look like a stroll on the beach.
    Great running
    That may be true, but in these here hills of his, the Mountain man is king!

I'm regretting Connemara more and more with every decent run I do. Though I think it may just be my vanity.

Bloke: "How did the Marathon go?"
    Krusty: "It went really great. I ran it 20 minutes slower than my personal best, but the scenery was fantastic".
    If I can get over the vanity, I'll be fine.:o

Great running and great report. Avg HR of 173 :eek: I was scared of similar results so choose not to wear the HR belt :)
    Yeah, it's pretty high alright, but I'm somewhat relieved, as I missed my LT session this week, so I think that this run took care of it quite nicely. :) I think my 20 mile run tomorrow will depend on the Ireland result. :) Might just put it off until Monday!

Congrats on your great finish by the way. Your stats for the winter league must place you very high in the overall league table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

That may be true, but in these here hills of his, the Mountain man is king!

You were very strong on the uphills, stronger than me. I may have the edge on the descent, but who knows how long that will last;)

Still waiting on the results, but make no mistake, judging by the guys I beat today (and you beat them too), we had a great race. All your marathon training will put you in great stead for the longer Summer Championship races.

20 Mile LSR today. Race yesterday and wedding anniversary celebrations last night, so didn't think it was going to be too easy. Actually surprised myself and found it easier than I thought I would, but I have a very poor short term memory, and may have already locked-away the agony and the tears.

Had left the car in Sandyford, so decided I'd follow a route that would take in an early hill, and a hill towards the end of the run, to simulate a Connemara type run and return me back to the car. Lovely weather setting out, so wore just a T-shirt and shorts. The short hills at Killiney felt easy, and mile after mile was ticked off in rapid succession. Decided to run down the West Pier for nostalgic reasons, but as soon as I looped around the light-house the weather changed dramatically. Squalls and freezing hailstones made sure that the next half hour passed in a shivering mind-numbing miserable state.

But as I hit Sandymount, the sun came back out and I cheered-up. Couple of hill-climbs up to Sandyford, and I felt fresh, like I could have gone on for another 6 miles. I feel ready for Connemara anyway. I won't do a complete taper, as I wont be running flat out, but will start cutting back the mileage to be safe.

Summary: 20 Miles in 2:40, @8min/mile, HR=138 (72%).

Another fab run. Well done. Its great to sit back and click play on those runs without any of the effort :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

20 Mile LSR today. Race yesterday

Good that you got your 20 in today after all, and at a decent pace too. There's gonna be a lot of DOMS around these boards tomorrow...:)

Yesterday:
    Hal Higdons weights, followed by core strength exercises, which seem to be getting a little easier. Have increased repetitions to 13, and am thinking of adding a repetition every week. Also a 5 mile respect run for our missing running brother, not logged.

Today - DOMS. :) Rest.
    Tomorrow - 9 miles with 6 x 800m @5K pace
    Thursday - Plan to run the Wexford half-marathon route
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 6 Miles with strides
    Sunday - 13-15 Hilly miles

Today:
    VO2Max session - 9 Miles, with 6x800m at 5Km race pace, with 2 mins jogging between intervals. Have never done a 5K race, so used McMillan to produce a 5k equivalent pace for my target marathon time (3:07), which gave me 6:10/mile.

800m splits were:
    3:06,3:01,3:03,3:02,3:05,3:03
    with an average pace of 6:08/mile (target was 6:10/mile).
    I've decided to stick with measuring pace in miles for a while as it gets too confusing switching between the two. Not sure how I did with those intervals. Found them difficult but manageable, but delighted to do the first interval session of my long, long marathon training plan. Hope there's a few more coming up, as they really mix things up a little.

Summary: 9 miles in 1:08, @7:31/mile, Average HR=152

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

800m splits were:
    3:06,3:01,3:03,3:02,3:05,3:03
    with an average pace of 6:08/mile (target was 6:10/mile).
    I've decided to stick with measuring pace in miles for a while as it gets too confusing switching between the two. Not sure how I did with those intervals. Found them difficult but manageable, but delighted to do the first interval session of my long, long marathon training plan. Hope there's a few more coming up, as they really mix things up a little.

In terms of speed, they seem bang on for your target marathon time. Range for 800m for your target marathon time is about 2:55-3:05. Nice work, especially if you found them difficult but manageable. Were you starting each 800m feeling relatively fresh?

Peckham wrote: »
    In terms of speed, they seem bang on for your target marathon time. Range for 800m for your target marathon time is about 2:55-3:05. Nice work, especially if you found them difficult but manageable. Were you starting each 800m feeling relatively fresh?
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, started each one feeling fresh, although finishing them was becoming a bit of a struggle at the end (still some residual tiredness after a heavy running weekend). I was doing loops of a small field, and unfortunately I seemed synched up, so that 800m +2mins jog was one full lap of the park, which meant I started each interval with a short downhill, before finishing with a longer (but gentle) uphill climb. I think they'd be easier (quicker) on a track.

Today: Still a little tired and 'niggly' from yesterday's interval session, today called for a 12 mile run. For me, this kind of runs against the P&D principle of not having back to back hard runs, but I guess in the world of P&D's advanced marathoners, a 12 mile run is not a hard run.

Was a little tired and sore setting out, and as usual, started with a 4 mile gentle hill climb, but cresting the hill and on the way back down, the legs kicked into gear, and felt a lot better. Weather was a little cool, with occasional hail, but nice conditions for running. Finished up with a couple of miles slightly faster than PMP on the flat, which felt good.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:40, @7:34/mile, HR=151.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

You sure do put a lot of detail in your log! Good going on the IMRA race. What is your Marathon target for this year? I thought I was close to your running times before but with the work you are putting in I'll have to find a more realistic shadow for me to follow :)

MCOS wrote: »
    You sure do put a lot of detail in your log!
    The word you're looking for is waffle. :)
    I'm hoping to get as close as possible to 3 hours in Edinburgh at the end of May (3:07 is the real target, but would like to do better) and break 3 hours in Berlin in September. Along the way, I want to hammer my half-marathon time in Wexford, and join the illustrious sub-40 group for the 10K. I'm pretty sure I'm good for it now, I just won't get a chance until after a couple of marathons are completed.

Your overall fitness levels stand you well for any of the three disciplines. I still have some catching up to do, just on the running front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Today: Still a little tired and 'niggly' from yesterday's interval session, today called for a 12 mile run. For me, this kind of runs against the P&D principle of not having back to back hard runs, but I guess in the world of P&D's advanced marathoners, a 12 mile run is not a hard run.

Was a little tired and sore setting out, and as usual, started with a 4 mile gentle hill climb, but cresting the hill and on the way back down, the legs kicked into gear, and felt a lot better. Weather was a little cool, with occasional hail, but nice conditions for running. Finished up with a couple of miles slightly faster than PMP on the flat, which felt good.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:40, @7:34/mile, HR=151.
    it seems you are knocking out these halfs for fun!! i was delighted with doing one. fair play!! thanks for the encouragement/advice

kennyb3 wrote: »
    it seems you are knocking out these halfs for fun!! i was delighted with doing one. fair play!! thanks for the encouragement/advice
    The real fun begins in just over two weeks time. A close friend who I was supposed to be pacing (target 3:45) for the Connemarathon may have to pull out. His wife was due to have their second child a week after the marathon (close timing, I know!) but instead, she gave birth this morning (everything fine), so I don't think he'll go ahead with his plan for his first marathon.

Which means....?!?

I'm obviously going to push for a PB. Against my previous advice, I have absolutely no idea what time I should be targeting. Right now, I'm thinking 3:10. I also had no plans to do a proper taper, as I was going to be running the race at PB+25 mins, but now?! Time to do some thinking.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The real fun begins in just over two weeks time. A close friend who I was supposed to be pacing (target 3:45) for the Connemarathon may have to pull out. His wife was due to have their second child a week after the marathon (close timing, I know!) but instead, she gave birth this morning (everything fine), so I don't think he'll go ahead with his plan for his first marathon.

Which means....?!?

I'm obviously going to push for a PB. Against my previous advice, I have absolutely no idea what time I should be targeting. Right now, I'm thinking 3:10. I also had no plans to do a proper taper, as I was going to be running the race at PB+25 mins, but now?! Time to do some thinking.....
    Could he not have told her to hang on for a bit!! and surely he should of had a word with the baby!! glad to hear all is well tho.

what is your current PB and your next goal figure? also what else have you got planned race wise after? the second question will prob dictate alot how hard you should run. then again im not the best person to be taking advice from, just lashing down a bit of what i ve learned thus far i guess.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Could he not have told her to hang on for a bit!! and surely he should of had a word with the baby!! glad to hear all is well tho.

what is your current PB and your next goal figure? also what else have you got planned race wise after? the second question will prob dictate alot how hard you should run. then again im not the best person to be taking advice from, just lashing down a bit of what i ve learned thus far i guess.
    Well, Connemara was supposed to be a 'just for fun' race, with Edinburgh in May being the real target. But if I can get half way between my current PB (3:20) and my planned Edinburgh time (3:07) I'll be happy. If it goes to plan it will also give me my Boston qualification time. Unfortunately Connemara isn't recognised (AFAIK) as a qualification race for Boston.

Yesterday: Weights plus core strength exercises.

Today: 6 mile recovery run with 6x100m strides.
    Summary:6.7 miles @7:38/mile, HR=144.

Wedding tonight, so off the booze from tomorrow until after the race. Diet needs to improve too. Race prep starts tomorrow. Tonight, booze. :)

Unfortunately Connemara isn't recognised (AFAIK) as a qualification race for Boston.

It's not. Has to be AIMS certified, and Dublin is the only one in Ireland that is.

Today: 16 mile run, on some new roads, around Fassaroe, Bray, Glen of the Downs GC, and back via Bray. Had planned to do a 5-5-5 predator type run (mostly because it just sounds so hard-ass :cool:), but the hills in the middle mostly put an end to that. Still managed to stay roughly in around the right paces, with the exception of a 9 minute mile during the steepest part of an evil hill climb. (Note to self: Always look at the elevation profile before setting out on a run on un-familliar roads!).

Also tried out a weatherproof cycling jacket I had bought in LIDL for 13 euro (don't mind throwing it away during a race if necessary). (Additional note to self: a jacket designed to keep rain out, will more than likely keep sweat in, and running surrounded by a cushion of cold sweat is not pleasant; dispose of LIDL jacket).

Summary: 16 Miles in 2:03, @7:39/mile, hr=150, +1 evil sneaky hill.

meter.mb?lapCategoryChart=true&applicationUnitContextDescription=duration&measurementModifierKey=sum&chartRequest.plotOrientationToVertical=true&chartRequest.legendVisible=true&episodePk.pkValue=7762573&chartRequest.plotForegroundOpacity=0.75&chartRequest.autoFit=true&chartRequest.width=340&chartRequest.height=227

Some nice hills in the middle there alright. Theres no escape the hills if you're running between Delgany and Kilmac, unless you stick to the dready main road. Good running.

Thanks! Had run in the area before, but previous times had turned left and headed on to Delgany, so just wasn't expecting the sudden steep extra climb. Well, I live and learn.

My running buddy has re-committed to doing Connemarathon, so I'm going back to the original plan - pace him for a sub 3:44 time. Means I get to enjoy it, and stick with the original plan of Edinburgh as my main focus.

Know that area very well (am originally from Greystones). Have you ever tried running up Windgates from the Greystones side?

Re the waterproof jacket - invest in a good running one. My top purchase of last year - makes the wet, dark runs much easier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Some recent good runs there Krusty Clown. You seem to be set up nicely for Sunday week

Peckham wrote: »
    Know that area very well (am originally from Greystones). Have you ever tried running up Windgates from the Greystones side?

Re the waterproof jacket - invest in a good running one. My top purchase of last year - makes the wet, dark runs much easier!
    Yes, I have indeed. Used to be a buddy's training run, when we started doing the Connemara half, but we would turn left, instead of heading over the side of (Little SugarLoaf?). It was a nice run, but some of those roads tend to be a rat-run for car traffic. I'll certainly do this run again, but would prefer to find a route that doesn't leave me running on the side of the N11, which is pretty crap. I saw a route on Mapmyrun that heads over Kilcroney direction, so might try and work that into a 20 mile run in future.

On the running jacket: Yes, absolutely. Was just looking for a disposable item, and I succeeded. I've already disposed of it. :)

Abhainn wrote: »
    Some recent good runs there Krusty Clown. You seem to be set up nicely for Sunday week
    Thanks. On my current form, I believe I'd be good for around 3:10, so running 3:40 should be a doddle, even with the hills. Hopefully it will help rather than hinder the road to Edinburgh in May.

7 Miles with 6x100m strides. Took it easy, on the grass in Shanganagh Park, as I've had a sore left shin for some reason. Created an advanced training program for the strides, that gave me a start signal at the end of every mile, and another signal after 100 metres were completed. Handy, except.... I repeatedly ended up doing my strides while traversing the muddy swamps between the fields.. Gloopy..

Summary: 7 miles @7:45 in 54 mins, HR=144.

Also bought a new pair of shoes - Mizuno Wave Rider 12's, which seem a lot more comfortable and lighter than the Kinsei. First non-Asics shoes for a number of years. Hoping to break them in before Connemara (around 40 miles and a long run of 13 miles to go), but if I don't, I'll go back to the Kinsei that have a few more miles left in them.

Nice going. Again we find ourselves traversing a lot of the same tracks :) Likewise breaking in new runners - saucony racing flats. So far so good.

Indeed! With a sore left shin the grass in the park was by far the safest option. You were going more than minute faster per mile though! And you stuck to the paths. Worried about getting your new shoes dirty? :D

Today: Had hoped to go for an easy run, to try out the new shoes and the new mp3 player I picked up, but my shin is advising me otherwise. Getting a little bit nervous at this stage. The 5K race on Sunday is in great jeopardy (which isn't a big issue) but if it's not sorted by the weekend, then.....

So, 15 mins of weights (without the lunges) and 20 minutes of core strength exercises (without the shin load-bearing exercises), and a further 30 mins of icing the shin and that's my lot for today. I want to run....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Today: 6 mile recovery run with 6x100m strides.
    Spot the new girl. Can I ask you to explain this method of plotting out your runs?

Walls wrote: »
    Spot the new girl. Can I ask you to explain this method of plotting out your runs?
    Hi Walls, I wear a Garmin Forerunner 405 watch, which has a GPS receiver. It records a breadcrumb trail of where you have been, but also provides information like your speed/pace, distance covered, altitude, heart rate (if you wear a HRM strap), lap pace, etc. After a run, you can upload the data to a site like Motionbased.com (there are actually many sites and downloadable applications) to interpret the data. Handy if you're a gadget-freak (like many on this forum), but many also prefer the more natural form of running, without taking GPS watches (or in some extremes, no watch at all).

I'm married to my watch, and find it hard to leave the house without it. :)

If you don't want to invest in a similar GPS watch, there are a few website that allow you to plot your runs. www.mapmyrun.com seems to be the most popular, though www.run.com gets a few votes too.

• Advertisement

Many thanks! Now, when you say you run 6 x 100m runs, I'm assuming this is sprint work, etc?

Hi Walls, kind of. I'm following a marathon training program at the moment, so this kind of run is either aerobic (general speed) or recovery (slower to help recover from a harder session), and also includes 'x' number of strides, where you accelerate to a comfortable sprint pace using good running form for (in my case) 100m. So at the end of every mile I make sure my form is correct and accelerate to a sprint and keep up the pace and form for 100 metres.

I use my watch to tell me when to do the strides, and how long I should do them for, as I have a very bad eye for judging distances. I'm following a program in Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas. Hal Higdon also has a range of programs which he makes available free on the interweb, which cover a range of distances and experience levels, which I found great. More here.

I'm only slowly becoming aware of the complexity that can be attached to training, so I am bookmarking that page and leaving it for a little bit. Thank you for explaining all this, however, it saves me from the bland "smile and nod" response in future.

It really doesn't have to be complicated though! The best runs are when you put on your runners when the sun is shining, with some good tunes on your mp3 player (or a running companion) , with no targets at all. Bliss!

It really only gets complicated where you have specific targets about improving your speed, distance, or achieving a race goal.

Today: 4.5 miles in the park, just to see how the shin was holding up, and to try out the new running shoes.

First mile:9:56 - Ran with the OH and my 8 yo.
    2nd mile: 8:30 - Muscles warming up
    3rd mile: 7:32 - Didn't notice the pace picking up
    4th mile: 6:47 - Nice comfortable mile - I love running!
    Boo... Time to go home just as I'm starting to feel good.

So shin feeling a little better, but still making itself known. I'll go to tomorrow's 5K race, but will probably pace the OH and some friends for a 30 minute finish, rather than going flat out. Plenty of time to record a PB for 5K, but only 7 days to the marathon.

Summary: 4.5 miles in 36 mins @8:08 HR=140

Enjoy the taper KC. Good to see you getting the family in on the running effort too :)

• Advertisement

Race Report: St. Patricks Festival 5K Road Race

<Thankfully shorter than other race reports, as it only took 19 minutes to complete the race!>

I signed up for this race on Tuesday, and spent the next few days torn between giving it a good go, resting my sore shin, or pacing some friends to complete the race in under 30 minutes. With only 7 days to Connemara, I felt it would be unwise to further aggravate my shin. Sadly, 'unwise' is what I do best.

A nice buzz around the city centre, it's one of the few times of year when it's nice to see throngs of people wearing tracksuits, and is a fitting prelude to the drinking binges that will fill the streets in just a few days time. The mansion house is a great setting for organizing the race numbers, and you feel duty-bound to make a few trips to the Lord Mayor's commode, as it makes such a change from finding a thick hedge or discrete bush.

Lining up at the start, everyone was calm and in good spirits. I started around 150 people from the front, but this number soon swelled with another 350 people (mostly kids and heavy-weight walkers who wanted a good view of the start of the race). A few inaudible words from the Chairman of the Board, and we were off. Having never run a 5k race (or any race as short as this before) I decided I would head out at 6:30/mile, and see how the shin and the cardio system were holding up, and then increase or decrease the pace as the body dictated. After a half a mile, I was running comfortably at 6:22/mile arriving at Merrion Square, so decided to up the pace a little, and follow my head. Picking off runners for a while, it was a relief to arrive back on Pembrook Street, as it signaled that we had a little over a kilometer left to go. At this stage I bumped into Woddle who was holding on nicely and didn't want to push on further, so I scouted on ahead and increased the pace again for the final push (5:43/mile).

Arriving back on Baggot Street I pulled alongside a club runner, and we ran stride for stride for a little while, and it seemed for a moment that we might have a battle between us to the finish line. All I could think of was Tingle's re-posting of Cathal Dennehy's fantastic essay about recovering from injury and battling for first place in an x-country race. With that in mind, I spurred myself past the club runner, and pushed to a final sprint as we hit the top of Dawson Street, pipping another 5 or 6 runners to the finish line. Overall, a very enjoyable experience, a PB I'm happy with (that I think I can pick off fairly easily) and a well organized event.

Kilometer splits:
    3:56/3:42/3:50/3:40/3:30

Summary: 5K race in 19:04, @6/mile, HR=174.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats again Krusty, great to be able to have a little chat. I reckon the next 5k you will have a super time as when you passed me you just made it look easy, if I didn't know better I reckon you were hiding on that corner since the start and then jumped in :D, you looked very strong, a credit to your training and possibly the mountain races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats again Krusty, great to be able to have a little chat. I reckon the next 5k you will have a super time as when you passed me you just made it look easy, if I didn't know better I reckon you were hiding on that corner since the start and then jumped in :D, you looked very strong, a credit to your training and possibly the mountain races

Well done both you guys 19'25 and 19'04 respectively great stuff! Smashed the sub 20 barrier, next stop ... opening the same can of whoop ass on the sub 40 :D Nice report too Krusty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good running; that mix of hi mileage, hills and quality sessions is giving you a good spread of pace between 5k and marathon. A good comfortable run next Sunday and you'll have a lot of work done in your prep for edinburgh.

Nicely done, Sir, I salute you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement