Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What brought a smile to your face today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I went out to an incredibly boring press conference today with one of our uber manly, burly camera men.

He's about 6 foot 2 and built like a brick sh1thouse with a really deep voice and this slightly intimidating super masculine demeanour and I clocked him quietly singing a One Direction song away to himself in the corner out of absolute exasperated boredom.

LOL'd the whole way home and proceeded to tell the whole office :D

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Found a radio station that plays fantastic music... I was getting a bit sick of the repetitive stuff on my phone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

I listened to a meditation/hypnosis recording for the first time ever on the train on the way into work. Strange, cool experience. I floated off the train and have been smiling contentedly all morning :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I've been having a tough time with exams lately when a friend rang me yesterday to say that her and some other friends are going to buy me a ticket to a gig that they know I really want to go to but can't afford (they cost more than is currently in my account!) It was just nice of them to think of me like that and I really wasn't expecting it. It's the second time in the last while that someone's brightened my day with a gesture like that and it's a really nice feeling!

The amount of people I saw walking around central London, on the tube, on the street, carrying bouquets of flowers presumably for their mammies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

Surprise party !! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

My mum is minding a new baby boy. Even though he can be fussy and is prone to the auld tantrums and roaring, the minute he looks at you and smiles all is forgiven. He's a little dote! Babies, though they can be tyrants can be adorable. It's funny he looks like a proper boy as well really boyish face! That and seeing my cat all curled up in his bed this morning fast asleep! :)

The exact question that I'd practiced coming up in my exam. The rest of them may not have gone as well but it gave me some of the confidence that I needed!

The exact question that I'd practiced coming up in my exam.

That is the *best* feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Smile and a little wibble, but my 8 month old niece pouting and reaching out for me when I was putting on my scarf to leave for the airport this evening...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Getting pretty new bed clothes and curtains.

I've just hopped into bed, bliss!

:D

THE DANCING SHAMROCKS ON GOOGLE!

I laughed at that for about 10 minutes. There's one playing the bodhrán like. The fcuking bodhrán! Bloody fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Went for a spin with the OH today. Was only meant to go out to Ballinskelligs but then we decided to head down to Derrynane to. Absolutely beautiful weather and such beautiful scenery around us. Ended up doing the whole Ring of Kerry. It was a beautiful day but Derrynane really does bring a smile to my face. It really is heaven on earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

During the parade, I saw the sweetest little dog ever. She was in the window of an apartment above a shop and she kept getting so excited watching the parade moving by. Her little head was darting back and forth and she was jumping up and down and her little tail was going crazy. I think I watched her more than I watched the parade. Her owner came and sat in the window with her and "St Patrick" made a point of waving up at him, which I thought was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

What made me smile today is seeing an old friend in high school

Interview today... 4 months of looking for a new job and I'm one step closer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Found out my mom is finally going to marry her long term partner! They're going to Vegas in May and getting married at en Elvis-themed chapel. Elvis is going to walk my mom down the aisle and sing to her! Since I live nearby in SF, I will probably attend, decked out in a retro dress with a big hat, fanning myself in the pews. This is one of the few weddings I will ever look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

It's just such a beautiful day! I can't help but smile :D . After walking my OH to work today, I took the long way home. I extended the walk even more when I came to the laneway that leads to the park, I just couldn't resist walking there. There was just a general feeling of happiness all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

The sun shining as I drove along with the windows open & music blasting. It just made me so happy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Found out my mom is finally going to marry her long term partner! They're going to Vegas in May and getting married at en Elvis-themed chapel. Elvis is going to walk my mom down the aisle and sing to her! Since I live nearby in SF, I will probably attend, decked out in a retro dress with a big hat, fanning myself in the pews. This is one of the few weddings I will ever look forward to!

Ahh I'd LOVE a Vegas wedding! Sounds amazing!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Neyite wrote: »
    Ahh I'd LOVE a Vegas wedding! Sounds amazing!

I never had any interest in a Vegas wedding... Until I discovered that you can have a pirate wedding there :D

I'm smiling today because I'm nearly finished work, I have tomorrow off and my boyfriend is coming to visit for the long weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

getting accepted into college :D happy out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I got the house clean, rooms sorted and an interruption - free shower! Going to buy superquinn sausages on the way home from collecting bubs and have sausage sandwiches and a cup of tea. Then going to play with my little girl and when she's gone to bed, I'm going to paint. Who says single life is boring!

Getting 2 free rentals from Xtravision because I rented a disc that wouldn't work, score! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

my bro taking me out for a driving lesson :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Went to the pharmacy with a bit of a medical matter and the woman could see I was uncomfortable explaining what was wrong in a second language (Spanish ailments have ridiculous names that are very hard to get your tongue round) and gave me a free hand cream with my medication and a big , encouraging smile. Some people are just The Bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

It being FRIDAY ! :D 25 mins and I'm home free!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Autocorrect on my phone resulted in me sending an email titled idiot exams

Attempting to do my left hand reverse and not crashing into the kerb! :o

My driving lesson went quite well and I also got a lovely comment on my blog. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

New look for summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I bought a new handbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Seeing my daughter walk for the first time ever :)

staying in my pjs all day:p:)

Birthday Party planned for a friend... I'm excited!

SIX NATIONS CHAMPIONS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Yesterday DJ had his three month check and he's surpassing all of his targets :) He was tiny when he was born so it's such a good feeling to see him flourishing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

My niece she's 2 and a half knew I was upset today and was like she just knew what to do to make me smile all day she caught me looking in the mirror and she says what you doing? Your pretty... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Was having a bit of an off day in work today. I was put on service for a little bit and an order came in. I cooked it up and served but then I had to do some salad prep. I was working away, mind in another world when this girl sticks her head through the kitchen door.

"Umm..sorry but who made us the meal?

Me: "Ugghh..me..is there something wrong?"

"NO! Not at all, it was actually fantastic and I just wanted to say thanks!"

She disappeared again but for the rest of the evening I was beaming!! It was the kind of encouragement I needed to hear! :D

firstly, not today but afore mentioned party went well, everyone enjoyed themselves and I met some cool people!

secondly about 5 minutes ago, mother taking pram off the bus backwards and the child starts waving bye, all the passengers up near him all waved back! the little things :)

• Advertisement

Polite, gracious, grateful people at work. People who say "thank you, I really appreciate your work".

Pity it has to be so rare!

a friend posting a get well message on my fb timeline

treating myself to some online shopping :D

tis the little things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

My legend of a stepmother had a 7 hour-long operation today to remove a tumour. Doc said she lost years off her life performing it it was so delicate. They said it's very unlikely to be cancer. I'm so relieved I was smiling very suspiciously all the way home from work. When I heard the news at the airport at xmas, I was sure it was the last one we'd have with her. She's been so calm throughout the whole thing - she's genuinely my hero and as we all know, it takes this kind of horrible stuff to appreciate someone. I'm really happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

A delivery from sportsdirect.. I'm off to the gym this evening :)

Hearing one of my favourite band's new single. Now I'm so excited for the new album! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Pokiedots

Today I had a brilliant day at work- I really felt I had achieved things today, I'm lucky to be in a job I love so much!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I took on a serious challenge in work recently and it really paid off
    I'm still smiling and wondering if it's real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Just being happy. Having wonderful friends, a supportive mother, a child who i made, and a comforting family. finding talents and working on them. I feel level headed for the first time in so long and I am happy. And I believe myself when I say that.

I went to bed completely drained and cranky but woke up feeling refreshed and actually able to talk to people instead of snarl at them :)

I love this thread!

• Advertisement

This is a general one, but really decent, lovely people who maintain that decency and loveliness despite suffering horrific loss and pain in their lives.

I work with a guy whose young, beautiful wife dropped dead suddenly shortly before Christmas. I knew him only from being in work on weekends as that was his shift pattern; he'd stop by my desk and we'd chat about life, love, aspirations, the news, you name it, we covered it. He'd rave and rave and rave about his wife, who at that point lived in a different country for work; it breaks my heart to remember how much he was looking forward to being reunited with her at Christmas.

He's back in the office now and walks around with the same smile on his face despite the fact that his world has crumbled. We still smile and chat and he nods appreciatively when I offer condolences about his wife. I'd say he has a long road ahead with the grief of it all.

He spent yesterday out in the field (he's a camera man), I had to send a few emails to himself and the team he's working with with various ridiculous, annoying requests and he'd reply jokingly and good-humouredly all day, diligently calling to make sure I got everything I needed every so often. He's this wonderful, good-natured, exceptional person who makes life that bit easier for everyone on particularly stressful days and despite the horrors he must be going through, he has still maintained his true self.

It made me smile as much as it makes me sad at how rough life can be on the best people sometimes.

Advertisement