Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

You have mentioned to sum up Fergal Darcy perfectly!!

QUOTE=Howitzer the 5th;107657504]The mention of 'Fergal D'Arcy and 'Gerry Ryan' in the same sentence is so incongruous and utterly astonishing that I've had to be picked up off the floor!

I appreciate you're making a point to illustrate something. Ryan was of course polarising. Often maddening and repulsive but often also brilliant.

That gimp from the whest on today fm is a bucket of puke. A born galoot who's horribly over promoted and woefully out of his depth.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Ray D'Arcy, Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy, Ciara Kelly, Marian Finucane, Sean Moncrieff, Tom Dunne: Breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

endacl wrote: »
    Susan Cahill, presenter of Talking Books on Newstalk.

Not her voice. The cadence of her phrases. Oddly enough, only when she’s doing her “I’m presenting on the radio to a radio listener” voice. When she’s chatting to a guest she could pass for a normal human, having a normal conversation. When she’s doing her links though, she somehow morphs into some quasi-robotic did-a-course-in-radio-presenting vocoder.

Bizarre. Sometimes comical. Sometimes it’d make your teeth itch. Depends on your humour.

God I thought I was the only one to notice her. Her programme is excellent, she's great but that bizarre uppy downy thing she does drives me insane.

endacl wrote: »
    Susan Cahill, presenter of Talking Books on Newstalk.

Not her voice. The cadence of her phrases. Oddly enough, only when she’s doing her “I’m presenting on the radio to a radio listener” voice. When she’s chatting to a guest she could pass for a normal human, having a normal conversation. When she’s doing her links though, she somehow morphs into some quasi-robotic did-a-course-in-radio-presenting vocoder.

Bizarre. Sometimes comical. Sometimes it’d make your teeth itch. Depends on your humour.
    She's an excellent presenter, can't fault anything to do with the content of the programme, but yeah, I wish someone would pull her aside and have a word about the tone. As you say, it only kicks in during her monologues. She's done some cracking interviews down the years, one that stands out in my mind is with Jonathan Blate, the most recent biographer of Ted Hughes. Susan Cahill didn't fall into the trap of many literary journalists, trying to paint Hughes as a saint or a villain. I'd recommend that interview to anyone who hasn't already read Blate's book, if it's still online.

The voice thing is a minor quibble by now, I think I've come used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

A small fault but endearing from Larry Gogan recently transferred from 2FM to RTE gold.
    Larry always had difficulty pronouncing the name of the dance act 'The Prodigy' It usually came out as 'The Progidy' .
    Heard him say it several times over the years. At least they are unlikely to crop up his golden hour playlist.

It just proves that even legendary DJs are human :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭johnire

Muireann OConnell has the most infuriating habit of repeating words and sentences. Does she do it to fill up her 2 hour show?She repeats nearly every word and sentence she utters so quite literally she only has to think of garbage to talk about for an hour instead of two!

I wonder how many of the posters on this thread have misophonia like myself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Music presenters giving the same old, predictable extra names to artists, making them (and the presenter!!) extra important::

"The Reverand" Al Green
    "Miss" Grace Jones
    "Francis Albert" Sinatra
    Philip "Parris" Lynott
    "Mr. Declan McManus" Elvis Costello

..not to mention "Sir" Tom Jones and "Dame" Shirley Bassey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

If being a person was a trait...then Ray D'Arcy. Just being Ray D'Arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Music presenters giving the same old, predictable extra names to artists, making them (and the presenter!!) extra important::

"The Reverand" Al Green
    "Miss" Grace Jones
    "Francis Albert" Sinatra
    Philip "Parris" Lynott
    "Mr. Declan McManus" Elvis Costello

..not to mention "Sir" Tom Jones and "Dame" Shirley Bassey.
    Van The Man

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

1. D'Arcy's lip smacking.
    2. Joe's general buffoonery and oafishness.
    3. Tubridy's fetish for death and illness.
    4. Des Cahill's sniffing and snorting.
    5. Mary Wilson's constant interruptions.
    6. "Dr." Ciara Kelly's soapboxing.

Ah, that feels better now.

1. D'Arcy's lip smacking.
    2. Joe's general buffoonery and oafishness.
    3. Tubridy's fetish for death and illness.
    4. Des Cahill's sniffing and snorting.
    5. Mary Wilson's constant interruptions.
    6. "Dr." Ciara Kelly's soapboxing.

Ah, that feels better now.

2) and 3) should be swapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

2) and 3) should be swapped?

Actually now that I reflect on it they're each equally applicable to either or both of the aforementioned national treasures.

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

OMG Ciaran Cuddihy's "talk like a robot" at end of sentences is soooo annoying.

"After the break I'll be speaking to Dr John Balls to reflect on the news we're entering level 5.for.6.weeks"

If you put youtube . com before this link then you'll see an example in the very first sentence he speaks.

/watch?v=AzcZbF6DxZk

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

Also the lady who does the movie reviews on newstalk on fridays.

She talks through her nose and very monotonous voice. Very poor speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Jenny Greene and her fake laugh, and her obsession with " Lockdown ".

Shay Byrne on Radio 1 Rising Time bringing in Marty Whelan for a chat on his way to Lyric FM.
    Also trying to get banter out of the business and sports presenters from 5.30 am to 7am, when they clearly don't want to take part.

Fair play to newsreader Brian Jennings for not getting involved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Everything Ryan Tubridy does

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some presenters seem to have a habit of asking questions that have been already answered by the guest if they were paying attention. Is it that they have a list that they blindly follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

saabsaab wrote: »
    Some presenters seem to have a habit of asking questions that have been already answered by the guest if they were paying attention. Is it that they have a list that they blindly follow?

I thought it was just Duffy who did that, who often asks someone for a bit of info that they mentioned literally seconds earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Probably mentioned already, I can't be the only one this drives mad.... Lottie Ryan taking big gulps of air between every sentence. Surely someone over RTE has listened to her and sent a memo, just slow down and relax. Like, how did someone who speaks like this get a job on radio, probably has connections...

Listening to some moaning about Trump this week from the regulars on radio , usually Matt Cooper and Ryan Tubridy, got me thinking.

Them, and a lot of people in the country, seem to get their knickers in a twist often about Trump. Now don't get me wrong, I think he is a clown and many other things, but I got to thinking about how our lives have got worse since he came into power.

How has mine changed?
    How has Coopers changed?
    How has Tubs changed?

And if they are like me, their lives are totally unaffected by Trump being POTUS.
    If he gets another 4 years I know for a fact my life will go on unchanged.

So why worry and hate so much?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Listening to some moaning about Trump this week from the regulars on radio , usually Matt Cooper and Ryan Tubridy, got me thinking.

Them, and a lot of people in the country, seem to get their knickers in a twist often about Trump. Now don't get me wrong, I think he is a clown and many other things, but I got to thinking about how our lives have got worse since he came into power.

How has mine changed?
    How has Coopers changed?
    How has Tubs changed?

And if they are like me, their lives are totally unaffected by Trump being POTUS.

Because he is anti-pc and they are very pc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

NIMAN wrote: »

How has mine changed?
    How has Coopers changed?
    How has Tubs changed?

I found it rather satisfying to see Megyn Kelly on the LLS say to Tubs that she though Trump could win again and that he was right for the American people at the time of his first election. The expression on his face was a picture, and not what he was expecting after they had just been talking about the spat she had with him 4 years ago.

But I agree with your point, I couldn't care less that he won and makes no odds to me. Frankly I find the whole bizarre thing rather refreshing and a source of some continuous amusement.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I cannot STAND Joe Duffy.
    1. Someone turn down his fvckin microphone
    2. Mmm... huhuh... mmm... yeah... [long silence]
    3. Where does he get his guests? Does he trawl hospitals, shelters etc? Does he run a competition for whoever was abused the most? Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

"Guys, did you ever get dressed in such a hurry that you put your socks on the wrong feet? Text or WhatsApp and let us know..."
    or some other shíte like that. They are all guilty of it.

The fact that every single Irish radio presenter/DJ thinks that every single Irish recording artist is amazing.

This simply cannot be true. Some must hate certain artists' music.

"and here's the latest song from James Vincent McMorrow, and it is simply amazing"

"we have the new Gavin James song on next, and its fantastic".

I would respect the presenter better if every now and again they'd say "thats the new Gavin James song, not mad on that one".

But then again, they want to be mates with these people and the industry is one big circle jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The poor old sod who does the traffic on DublinCityFM. He can’t pronounce his R’s whatsoever and it’s really grating. I know it’s not his fault but it’s difficult to listen to.

“Wanelagh to Wathmines is weally heavy, backed up to Hawold’s Cwoss”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

More of an annoying radio station trait.

Newstalk news, the guest they've just interviewed before the break becomes part of "the news" all of a sudden, usually it's less than earth-shattering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Oink wrote: »
    I cannot STAND Joe Duffy.
    1. Someone turn down his fvckin microphone
    2. Mmm... huhuh... mmm... yeah... [long silence]
    3. Where does he get his guests? Does he trawl hospitals, shelters etc? Does he run a competition for whoever was abused the most? Ffs

You might not like the host, but you should read the thread for the show ;)

Advertisement