Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mauritius Newspaper Publishes Dead Images

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Extinction wrote: »
    Ever hear of dark humour?
    Jokes are meant to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

In the minority here I see but I don't think it's that big of a deal(considering it's Mauritius we're talking about) In Ireland it would be a big no-no but in developing countries the standards of journalism and what is considered acceptable can vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

In the minority here I see but I don't think it's that big of a deal(considering it's Mauritius we're talking about) In Ireland it would be a big no-no but in developing countries the standards of journalism and what is considered acceptable can vary.

In Irish newspapers I've seen photos of many murdered people, Garda Jerry McCabe's body comes to mind, I don't see any difference in the standard of journalism here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Toxic7

I want to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

A few years ago an acquaintance of mine died in tragic circumstances in SE Asia.

When I made the mistake of googling to find coverage, I found extremely disturbing images of his blood-soaked corpse alongside an article in an online newspaper. There were police present in the picture, and they didn't seem to object to the photo being taken. I always hoped his parents never saw that picture.

I suppose if someone has the misfortune to die or lose a family member while abroad, particularly if the circumstances are grisly, then as far as the reporting is concerned they are pretty much vulnerable to whatever the journalistic norms in that region of the world happen to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bad enough that she was murdered in the first place but after the way the trial was handled and now this... I just feel really sorry for her family. They're going through an awful, awful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Not to say im not horrified by the publishing of the images, but,

What is the difference between the two?

Is one human life valued more than another?

Regardless of circumstance the picture will still show someone; a person, with a life, a family etc, who has been killed. :(

What decides whether it is acceptable or not?

One is an image of a death due to war which has been purposely photographed by a journalist/photographer with the intention of publishing it to document the human impact of war, the other is forensic evidence taken by authorities with no intention of being published publically but which was illegally taken and published on the front page of a newspaper.

I think it's clear to see which was less acceptable out of the two.

This is completely separate to my point above (Not aiming it at you Thatnastyboy!), but I really hate to see the callous attitude some people seem to show for what has happened to that poor girl's family. I don't know how I'd cope if someone I loved, that had been murdered, had their forensic photos of their dead body plastered over the front page of a newspaper so I couldn't really give a **** whether it's more acceptable in other countries or not, and I can't imagine that that argument is going to be any solace to her husband or family.
    I'm not a person who calls for boycotts of Mauritius or any crap like that, because I know the average Mauritian had nothing to do with this case and would probably want Justice for her just as much as anyone, but the way that this case has been handled has been absolutely tragic.

It has **** all to do with whether her dad was a high profile person or not. It has everything to do with respecting basic human dignity in what has been such a terrible period for everyone involved.
    I really hope the journalist or editor that published these photos can sleep at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Going against the grain here, but it's pretty standard in most places to publish pictures of dead people in newspapers... it only really seems to be England, Ireland and the states that do not do it.

Go to france, Germany or most other places and the free papers on the tube will have these kind of photos.

they seem to be less hung up about dead bodies than in Ireland.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like looking at them either.

I was just mentioning the exact same point to a mate earlier this evening. When I backpacked Thailand & the Philipiners a few years back I used to read the local papers to pass a bit of time. Two things stood out to me. One was that when someone was arrested and charged with a crime there was often a picture of them in the paper. Time after time it would be the exact same piicture- a suspect standing up in the local police station surrounded for 3 or 4 plain clothes cops and they would all be there in the picture literally pointing their finger at the suspect as the photographer took it. The other thing I noticed was that taking photographs of people lying dead &mangled in car wreaks was fairly common.

What happened with these pictures was a cultural difference within many countries in the developing world. Enda didn't get this whatsoever However he must ask how did they find their way from police photograhers c
    amera over to an inbox within the Sunday Times.c
    But hey here in lil old Ireland there was an insurance company who used to employ former Gardai to use their contacts within mobile telephone companues which was then used to read your bills and track your movements whePofore necessary. It broke a ton of rules but no-one ever served time for it.

Police forces around the world often get an opportunity to be corrupt and in this case the paper was most likely paying off the cops for the picks, The whole episode has been a sorry fair the last few days,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Damn, thought Madonna got her nipples out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

What are the bets that some sleazy rag over here will publish the photo's themselves by the end of the week with the mantra ''look, look what they did!''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Expect to get attacked over this,don't necessarily want to see them but since they're out there kinda have to.Where could one find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO
    OK request for a caveman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

RATM wrote: »
    I was just mentioning the exact same point to a mate earlier this evening. When I backpacked Thailand & the Philipiners a few years back I used to read the local papers to pass a bit of time. Two things stood out to me. One was that when someone was arrested and charged with a crime there was often a picture of them in the paper. Time after time it would be the exact same piicture- a suspect standing up in the local police station surrounded for 3 or 4 plain clothes cops and they would all be there in the picture literally pointing their finger at the suspect as the photographer took it. The other thing I noticed was that taking photographs of people lying dead &mangled in car wreaks was fairly common.

What happened with these pictures was a cultural difference within many countries in the developing world. Enda didn't get this whatsoever However he must ask how did they find their way from police photograhers c
    amera over to an inbox within the Sunday Times.c
    But hey here in lil old Ireland there was an insurance company who used to employ former Gardai to use their contacts within mobile telephone companues which was then used to read your bills and track your movements whePofore necessary. It broke a ton of rules but no-one ever served time for it.

Police forces around the world often get an opportunity to be corrupt and in this case the paper was most likely paying off the cops for the picks, The whole episode has been a sorry fair the last few days,
    Why did they mention The Birmingham 6 and The Guilford 4 then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I know some papers do it, not here thankfully as who wants to see such an image. Stuff like that shouldnt be something you publish to the public out of respect if anything.
    These kind of pictures get leaked a lot too so I'm not surprised/outraged about this. It happens and this time just closer to home and from a high profile irish family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Insult to injury methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Over a decade ago motorcycle legend Joey Dunlop died in a race and the Star newspaper had a picture of his corpse on page one

That is still not forgotton, it came up in the motorcycle forum 10 years later and many including me never touched the paper since

He died doing what he loved
    This act by the Sunday Times is even worse
    thats it settled then, a Boards boycott of the sunday Times...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Such a nightmare for the family. I cant even begin to imagine how they feel...this latest event is just a dispicable, horrible act in a family's darkest moment.
    For what it's worth my thoughts and prayers are with the families. I hope justice will be done one day for this tragedy.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

looks like there will never get another trial now as getting an impartial jury would be impossible. what an absolute nightmare.
    Suspicious that this was done deliberately to to end this negative media case on Mauritius . a Retrial in a year or six months will hit their figures tourism for longer . while if this is it, no retrial, then end it will ultimately get forgotten about sooner.
    By all accounts there was approx 20 people who saw these photos during the trial-the Jury, judge, prosecution and defence lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

That'll go something like...

Kenny; "I want to express my feelings of deep disgust at what your press have done"

Mauritius Government Official: "**** off, Enda"

Kenny; "Oh, OK. Sorry"

And your point is to this sorry. What can Kenny do other than just bring it up. Ban exports. Or is it you jou just dont like Kenny which is fine not a good fan of him myself but that is just seems like a pointless attack

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO

Given this is AH I hope your joking if not that is just sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

thats it settled then, a Boards boycott of the sunday Times...

It was the Mauritius Sunday Times, only available in Mauritius. It has nothing to do with the UK-Irish one.

So that's one boards.ie boycott that should be easy to organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brianaylward

It's one thing to publish images of anonymous corpses to illustrate the brutality of war. It's quite another publishing named photographs of a recent high profile case in the supposed desire to help the search for justice.

I personally am not interested in seeing the photographs, much as I have no desire to to see any intimate photos taken without consent. I would however be interested in seeing next week's paper, and seeing which businesses continue to advertise in such a low quality paper. It would influence my decisions on whom I want to do business with if ever I am in Mauritius. Sadly, this paper doesn't seem to have an online presence.

Has anyone found a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

While what happened has no doubt been a tragedy etc, I would love our Government to be as vocal on more issues concerning our society as it is at the moment.

To be honest, I'm sick of hearing politicians talking about this case, especially in the apparent self righteous they are doing so.

Get off your fcuking asses and do what the people voted you in for! FFS!

We seem to have a serious problem with crime in this country and you don't hear them talking about that, well they talk a bit, but nobody seems to be getting anything done. Especially given what's happened in the last few weeks.

So much needs to change in Ireland.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    What? Most Iraqi's wanted that type of image to spread. That was a war, this was murder.

War is murder, sheer bloody murder, had you been here the past 12 months you'd have known that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

WumBuster wrote: »
    What are the bets that some sleazy rag over here will publish the photo's themselves by the end of the week with the mantra ''look, look what they did!''
    I hope that they have a little bit of cop on and not do that.
    But if they did it will be one of the top selling papers of the day and the next day everyone will hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Can I just say that this whole "Boycott Mauritius" campaign is the most retarded theing I've ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

any links to these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's a big difference between this and the likes of the Sadam photos. There's no reason to publish these photos because nobody needs proof that she's actually dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

MagicSean wrote: »
    Can I just say that this whole "Boycott Mauritius" campaign is the most retarded theing I've ever heard of.
    At last sean, something we can agree on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

There was a young Irish man gunned down with 2 others in a police raid in south America a few years ago, they said he was a suspected terrorist mercenary.
    They also said the police engaged in a gun fight with the 3 men, this was despite the fact that all three men were still in there underwear despite apparently having weapons and armour to take on the cops who they apparently knew were coming:-/

The Irish papers had no problem printing photos taken at the scene and in the morgue, there was no high profile following of the case, no countless apologies and sympathies from politicians of the day looking for a soundbite, no envoy to make a strong complaint, this all despite the fact a young Irishman travelling abroad was summarily executed by a police force which later turned out to have no evidence of the claims they made.

What happened in mauritius was reprehensible and an utter travesty with added police incompetence, but anyone who would think this didn't get all of its coverage for who she was( or who she was related to) is being totally naive.

The papers are just being hypocritical as usual, or did we 'need' to see the photos of children with slashed throats from Syria, that wasn't war, that was also murder, but the Irish public didn't know them so they didn''t need respect or dignity!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement