Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hibernian FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

• 13-03-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

I had a good search around and couldn't find a thread for Hibernian - so thought I would create one.

I have always considered myself a casual Hibernina supporter....but I have been watching them much more fervently since Pat Fenlon became manager. Never really understood why Hibs don't have huge support in Ireland given their history and why it all goes to Celtic who probably aren't actually as Irish. Obviously a big glory hunting element I guess.

Anyway....Hibs should avoid the drop which was Fenlon's job brief for this season when he took the role in November - but there's the added bonus of the club reaching the Scottish Cup semi-finals - first trip to Hampden in 5 years! Plus, he has 3 or 4 players on loan who are making a real impression. The team seem to have a unity and determination that wasn't there and are gradually losing long lying bad habits - even if there's an awful lot of work still to do - you feel Fenlon is getting there, bit by bit!

Any Hibs supporters at all out there who an opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hibs supporter myself.

I think Fenlon has steady the ship somewhat. He has come in at the club darkest hour since late 90's and hopefully now we can pull away from relegation.

Our problem seems to be conceding sloppy goals at crucial times.

Scoring more freely now too. Fenlon has done good job so far imo. It will take time and you could not expect him to do miracles from the beginning and we had take step back before step forward which is where we are now so fa.

As for Scottish Cup, I think if we were 6-0 up with 5 minutes to go we still never win this up. 110 years is a bloody long time for Top5 club in a league.

Only good omen is the last time Hibs won Scottish Cup an Irishman was in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Good to see Roy O Donovan getting his form back while on loan to Hibs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Also tis a pity Fenlon didnt get Paddy McCourt on loan.He would have livened things up a bit in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Have been following their progress a lot this season, if the defence can get some much needed attention in the summer then I genuinely think the rest of the team is good enough for 5th place in the SPL next year.

Full back in particular is an absolute shambles, in a league were goals from crosses are very common. The few times I've seen Hibs they've been destroyed down the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭SM01

I moved to Edinburgh not too long ago and pretty much live in the shadow of the stadium on Albion Road. I only recently found out that I can get a ticket for class B games for £12 so gonna go see Hibs Vs Dundee Utd Sat week :)

And only about 30 mins ago I think I walked by a couple of the players after finishing a photocall outside the ticket office - Not a very interesting piece of information admittedly!

• Advertisement

Good to see Roy O Donovan getting his form back while on loan to Hibs.

been fantastic for us since he came.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Laois_Man wrote: »
    why it all goes to Celtic who probably aren't actually as Irish. Obviously a big glory hunting element I guess.

I'd imagine it's that people like to back a winner, so if you're Irish, that's Celtic. Funnily enough, Hibs has more Irish players (5) than Celtic does (4, with 3 out on loan), at least according to wikipedia :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Laois_Man wrote: »

I have always considered myself a casual Hibernina supporter....but I have been watching them much more fervently since Pat Fenlon became manager. Never really understood why Hibs don't have huge support in Ireland given their history and why it all goes to Celtic who probably aren't actually as Irish. Obviously a big glory hunting element I guess.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

How is yer man Doyle doing for ye since he moved from Sligo. I noticed he was an unused sub at wkend.

Who are the other Irish guys at Hibs apart from O'Donovan?

I have very little interest in Scottish football but always look out for Hibs. Now that Pat is manager, I take a lot more interest (he is a friend of my uncle) met him a good few times. Love to see it work out for him better than Stephen Kenny when he went to Scotland.

Stevecw wrote: »
    How is yer man Doyle doing for ye since he moved from Sligo. I noticed he was an unused sub at wkend.

Who are the other Irish guys at Hibs apart from O'Donovan?

I have very little interest in Scottish football but always look out for Hibs. Now that Pat is manager, I take a lot more interest (he is a friend of my uncle) met him a good few times. Love to see it work out for him better than Stephen Kenny when he went to Scotland.

not really been given much of a chance to shine as of yet. He has scored in Cup against Cowdenbeath on his first full appearance but nothing of note in league yet where he only started one game I think.

Graham Stack and Richie Towell(on Loan from Celtic) are other Irish lads.

Ivan Sproule is Northern Irish

• Advertisement

oops forgot mention Matt Doherty is Irish too (om loan from Wolves)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Graham Stack is still playing ?

I remember him beating the **** out of an Antwerp fan when he was in Belgium, that's years ago :D

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Graham Stack is still playing ?

I remember him beating the **** out of an Antwerp fan when he was in Belgium, that's years ago :D

It's not only person he ever beat **** out of either;).

That's what I was talking about. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Did Stack get a red card for that?

A similar thing happened in Holland just before Christmas when the AZ Alkmar goalkeeper Esteban Alvarado saw red for kicking an Ajax fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Kurtis Byrne gone from Hibs now ?

listermint wrote: »
    Kurtis Byrne gone from Hibs now ?

With Ross County since start of season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

With Ross County since start of season

Any idea how he is getting on there. Is he getting first team? I know he wasnt at hibs, dropped soon after i suppose.

listermint wrote: »
    Any idea how he is getting on there. Is he getting first team? I know he wasnt at hibs, dropped soon after i suppose.

Not entirely sure to be honest. he been getting few goals and games alright, but not sure if he playing well or not.

I actually thought he go on to bigger things when saw him first, never really developed into the player he might have been.

He still only 22 of course so time yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Not entirely sure to be honest. he been getting few goals and games alright, but not sure if he playing well or not.

I actually thought he go on to bigger things when saw him first, never really developed into the player he might have been.

He still only 22 of course so time yet.

9 appearances and 1 goal according to Wiki.

Although to be fair, we're talking about a side on a 25 game unbeaten run at the top of the first division - not always going to be easy to break into that.

Eirebear wrote: »
    9 appearances and 1 goal according to Wiki.

Although to be fair, we're talking about a side on a 25 game unbeaten run at the top of the first division - not always going to be easy to break into that.

Thought he might have scored couple more goals then that, but your right what Wiki says.

They seem to be already champs in First Division anyway.

Hugh game against Inverness this weekend

Ian Murray should be back for this one after been out for couple of months so that's boost.

Massive win today against ICT.

6 points clear now with 11 goal better Goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Fantastic win for us today,nowhere near our best but a win is a win also gives us a six point cushion,have total confidence in fenlon and dont believe we will be relegated actually think once the split happens we will get more than enough ponts to stay up and even catch inverness

1967 wrote: »
    Fantastic win for us today,nowhere near our best but a win is a win also gives us a six point cushion,have total confidence in fenlon and dont believe we will be relegated actually think once the split happens we will get more than enough ponts to stay up and even catch inverness

I do too but reading hibs.net many a fan think otherwise.

I think he done well with what he has and has even the ship a great deal.

Unlucky not get points against Aberdeen, Hearts and Motherwell too so many positives to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'd say Fenlon has done well given the problems at Hibs over the last few years.
    He had a prettyy awful start, but now he's pulling away from Dunfermline and doing what he was brought into to do.

He has to be given next season, and the board have to back him in clearing out those who arent putting in a shift and bringing in his own faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

How have I missed this thread until now????

This year will be one to forget, certainly. Delighted to get a result against ICT who've been a bit of a bogey team for hibs over the years. Good to go 6 ahead of the pars too, although its a dismal thing to be happy about being 6 points above the bottom side.

Roll on next season, to hopefully pumping the Jambos 3 times at least during the course of it.

Blackjack wrote: »
    How have I missed this thread until now????

This year will be one to forget, certainly. Delighted to get a result against ICT who've been a bit of a bogey team for hibs over the years. Good to go 6 ahead of the pars too, although its a dismal thing to be happy about being 6 points above the bottom side.

Roll on next season, to hopefully pumping the Jambos 3 times at least during the course of it.

I may be tad bit optimistic, but if we Hibs win the cup then might turn into good old season afterall.

Of course the chances of it happening are about same as us buying Messi in summer, but I will remain some bit optimistic till then;)

• Advertisement

I may be tad bit optimistic, but if we Hibs win the cup then might turn into good old season afterall.

Of course the chances of it happening are about same as us buying Messi in summer, but I will remain some bit optimistic till then;)

If Hibs win it by beating Celtic, cyber pint for all Hibees :pac:

Advertisement