Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suppression of free speech in Galway, Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

prinz wrote: »
    Actually there is.And no I am not confused.
    "Actually there is" is not very convincing Im afraid.
    If you can point me in the direction of the laws you talk of then great.

lugha wrote: »
    It would be interesting to here if someone has the definitive word on what you can and cannot do re recording people. My understanding is that the broadcast / print media must get your permission if they are to broadcast your image or alternatively make an argument that the public interest is served by so doing. Whatever about the law it is pretty rude to stick a camera in someones face especially if they ask you not to.

This outlines what you can and cannot do.
    http://www.digitalrights.ie/category/pamphlets/

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

lugha wrote: »
    It would be interesting to here if someone has the definitive word on what you can and cannot do re recording people. My understanding is that the broadcast / print media must get your permission if they are to broadcast your image or alternatively make an argument that the public interest is served by so doing. Whatever about the law it is pretty rude to stick a camera in someones face especially if they ask you not to.

Not sure about this, I recently had a camera crew push camera and micrphone into my car while stopped at traffic lights. And without my permission been asked, I found myself on the TV3 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

bubonicus wrote: »
    Not sure about this, I recently had a camera crew push camera and micrphone into my car while stopped at traffic lights. And without my permission been asked, I found myself on the TV3 news.
    I wonder if permission is taken as implied if you actually engage in the interview? I have half a recollection that these wind up "Naked Camera" type shows had to subsequently get peoples permission to use their image. Or maybe I'm thinking of what is required in other countries? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

1) A public place according to the Public Order act 1994 is:
    3.—In this Part, except where the context otherwise requires—
    "dwelling" includes a building, vehicle or vessel ordinarily used for habitation;
    "private place" means a place that is not a public place;
    "public place" includes—
    ( a ) any highway,
    ( b ) any outdoor area to which at the material time members of the public have or are permitted to have access, whether as of right or as a trespasser or otherwise, and which is used for public recreational purposes,
    ( c ) any cemetery or churchyard,
    ( d ) any premises or other place to which at the material time members of the public have or are permitted to have access, whether as of right or by express or implied permission, or whether on payment or otherwise, and
    ( e ) any train, vessel or vehicle used for the carriage of persons for reward.

So to answer someones question about the bank, yes it is a public place.

2) He was not arrested for a breach of the peace, he was arrested for failing to comply with the directions of a member of an Garda Siochana.

3) Anybody can protest against anything they like in a peaceful manner on a public street, the issue is when that protest causes offence to others sharing said public place, while yes there is a right to free speech in this country, it is conditional, ie that you observe the laws of the state in doing so.

4) The point of filming on a public street, If in a public place, it is perfectly legal to film anyTHING in a public place, however if filming a person, and said person asks you to stop filming them, you must or it can be construed as an invasion of privacy. You most certainly don't film a Garda who is talking to the witness of an incident you are involved in. How can somebody be expected to give a full and frank account of what happened if one of the main people involved in the incident is filming them.

5) The Garda was correct in what he did, he received a complaint and attempted to investigate it, only to be shouted down by the protester, he then issued a direction under Section 8 for the protester to desist what he was doing and to leave the area,or he would be arrested which the protester refused to do. Now desisting what he was doing in this instance would include filming. He completely ignored the direction of the Garda and from what i can see from the video i agree with a number of other posters that he only wanted to be arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

dlofnep wrote: »
    A man then lies to the Gardaí in an attempt to suppress the information, and it seemingly works - because based on his lies, the man his arrested.

Lets get one thing straight... Thats not why he was arrested! He was arrested because he was being abusive to the garda. Theres a manifest difference between standing up for your right of free speech and refusing to allow a garda to conduct a reasonable investigation. he was being self-defeating. He was being argumentative and uncooperative. He probably wouldn't have been arrested, and the demonstration would probably have been allowed to continue, if the Garda could have spoken without interruption to the American couple and established that the Jewish man's claims were false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

foinse wrote: »
    The Garda [...]issued a direction under Section 8 for the protester to desist what he was doing and to leave the area,or he would be arrested

So could he have left the area and returned 5 minutes later and set up his stall again?

So could he have left the area and returned 5 minutes later and set up his stall again?

The section does not specify a time limit, so technically yes he could so long as he is not engaging in the activity which had him removed from the area in the first place.If he continues to do what had him moved on then he can be arrested again because the original direction would still stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Since when is the inside of a bank the same as a public road?

If you're refering to the part of the bank to which someone can walk into from the street without any restrictions you would be talking about a public place or a place to which the public has access.

foinse wrote: »
    So to answer someones question about the bank, yes it is a public place.

A bank is private property not a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

kmick wrote: »
    "Actually there is" is not very convincing Im afraid.
    If you can point me in the direction of the laws you talk of then great.

Article 8 ECHR, and various case law regarding same.

http://www.digitalrights.ie/category/pamphlets/[/quote]
    Up to now, the right to privacy has been largely determined by a mixture of Constitutional rights, and ECHR caselaw - the Minister for Justice has previously said that the private interactions of a person - even in a public place - may be covered by the right to privacy -
    it is generally safe to presume that you can publish your photographs, unless your subject was in a situation where a reasonable person would believe that they’d brought their ‘portable sphere of privacy’ out with them
    Taking photographs of people in public is generally allowed - however, an exception is made where the subject would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Important to note all these relate to photographers. I would argue that repeatedly asking someone not to record / photograph you establishes a reasonable expectation of privacy. Also dealing with a member of the gardai IMO also establishes a reasonable expectation of privacy not to have our conversation recorded and put on Youtube.

http://www.mop.ie/dynamic/files/IP%20Ezine%20-%20Ireland%20Considering%20Statutory%20Right%20of%20Privacy%20-%20G%20Kelly%20-%20Sept%202006.pdf

This relates to the mentioned Privacy Bill, which is yet to be passed.

Privacy LawAlthough the Irish Constitution of 1937 does not contain an explicit right to privacy, its existence has been recognised by the Irish courts, notably by the High Court in Kennedy & Arnold v Ireland [1987] IR 587. Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights provides that: “(1) Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and correspondence.
    http://www.ictlaw.com/dp.htm

Article 40.3.1 of Bunreacht na hÉireann 1937 is the section normally used to guarantee the right to privacy in this jurisdiction.

• Advertisement

Article 8 ECHR, and various case law regarding same.
    http://www.digitalrights.ie/category/pamphlets/

Important to note all these relate to photographers. I would argue that repeatedly asking someone not to record / photograph you establishes a reasonable expectation of privacy. Also dealing with a member of the gardai IMO also establishes a reasonable expectation of privacy not to have our conversation recorded and put on Youtube.

http://www.mop.ie/dynamic/files/IP%20Ezine%20-%20Ireland%20Considering%20Statutory%20Right%20of%20Privacy%20-%20G%20Kelly%20-%20Sept%202006.pdf

This relates to the mentioned Privacy Bill, which is yet to be passed.

Privacy LawAlthough the Irish Constitution of 1937 does not contain an explicit right to privacy, its existence has been recognised by the Irish courts, notably by the High Court in Kennedy & Arnold v Ireland [1987] IR 587. Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights provides that: “(1) Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and correspondence.
    http://www.ictlaw.com/dp.htm

Article 40.3.1 of Bunreacht na hÉireann 1937 is the section normally used to guarantee the right to privacy in this jurisdiction.

All of this and it still comes back to the same point. There is no specific Irish law that can stop you taking pictures in public. All you have mentioned there is a bill that has not been passed and some waffle from a minister who thinks it 'may be covered by the right to privacy.' You have even taken some out of context like
    Taking photographs of people in public is generally allowed - however, an exception is made where the subject would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

continues on with
    Taking photographs of people in public is generally allowed - however, an exception is made where the subject would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. You’re perfectly entitled to take a photograph of someone walking down the street - but hiding in a tree to take a photo of them in their home may get you into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You’re perfectly entitled to take a photograph of someone walking down the street

Does that include schoolchildren on their way to the playground?

I know one or two people who would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Stupid video with terrbile editing, totally scripted aswell make it nearly funny to watch! Espicially the end with the lad witht he northern accent talking! Classic!

Aparently the"protester" wasnt abusing anyone, looked to me as if he was abusing the garda tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Its private property AND a public place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm going to set up a stall in Galway saying that people should boycott Palestinian goods because Palestinians blow up innocent civilians (in Israel).

I wonder how long I'll last (will possibly be attacked by the pro Palestinian majority before the guards arrive)

Galway would be a great location to use if you wish to highlight the case of Private Kevin Joyce who was kidnappened (and presumed murdered) by Palestinians (The PLO) in South Lebanon in 1980.

He's officially considered the longest held hostage in Lebanon.

Pte Joyce was only 18 yrs old and a native of Inisheer (Aran Islands).

As for the guards actions, for such a young man he firmly stood his ground in the face of an aggression because he knew he was in the right - fair play to the chap, I admire his attitude.

All of this and it still comes back to the same point. There is no specific Irish law that can stop you taking pictures in public. All you have mentioned there is a bill that has not been passed and some waffle from a minister who thinks it 'may be covered by the right to privacy.' ....

(a) The quotes from digital rights relate to photographers

(b) Taking a picture of someone walking down the street, i.e. bystanders at a monument etc is not comparable to making a video with picture and audio of a specific member of the public dealing with a garda. "a reasonable expectation of privacy" are the key words. I'm talking to a friend and some lula sticks a microphone on our table in a restaurant, and says don't mind me I'm within my rights :confused: Well I'm perfectly within my rights under Irish and international law to tell him to f*** off and get that camera/microphone/video out of my face, and have a garda enforce my wishes if I so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

For a campaign that is seeking to capture or influence public opinion, it seems that this chap hasn't done the best PR job, as it seems from here that a lot of people are opposed to the actions he took.

As an aside having just watched it again and taken it all in our man Tommy needs to learn a lot of things, starting with what a zionist is.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Justind wrote: »
    Have to laugh at all this 'outrage'.

Left-wing political 'action' groups, such as this fella's, are going to be more visible now simply because they are involved in the 'No' Vote in the Lisbon Treaty referendum. Thats all. They're selling a 'No' vote on emotional blackmail and conveniently tilted views.

Something very sanctimonious and hypocritical about said ilk. If they really gave a stuff about what goes on in Israel and/or Palestine, they'd be camped outside the Israeli Embassy protesting.
    I work beside that Embassy and haven't seen anyone there since january.

Are Coir a leftwing action group? I think it's a fairly mixed bunch on both sides of the debate. I'm considered a leftie and I'm totally in favour of Lisbon and the EU generally. I've no idea why the protestor is against Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

As an aside having just watched it again and taken it all in our man Tommy needs to learn a lot of things, starting with what a zionist is.

You should teach him, you appear to have most of the attributes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

imokyrok wrote: »
    Are Coir a leftwing action group? I think it's a fairly mixed bunch on both sides of the debate. I'm considered a leftie and I'm totally in favour of Lisbon and the EU generally. I've no idea why the protestor is against Lisbon.
    Coir are not members of the group I was referring to.

Galway would be a great location to use if you wish to highlight the case of Private Kevin Joyce who was kidnappened (and presumed murdered) by Palestinians (The PLO) in South Lebanon in 1980.

He's officially considered the longest held hostage in Lebanon.

Pte Joyce was only 18 yrs old and a native of Inisheer (Aran Islands).

Yes, it is believed that Private Joyce was kidnapped by a PLO faction that wanted to embarrass Arafat who had good relations with UNIFIL at the time. Most of the dificulties the Irish Army had during peacekeeping in Lebanon were at the hands of Israel and militia supported by Israel. The murders of Privates Derek Smallhorn and Justin Barrett and shooting of John O'Mahony at the hands of Saad Haddads men was a case in point. The Israelis refused to hand over the two suspects for questioning and later assisted them to leave the area, through Israel, and settle in Detroit. The Irish Army also had intelligence which suggested a Shin Bet officer had been present at those murders. Private Stephen Griffin was another Irish soldier shot dead by Haddads men. Irish officers believed Israel was complicit in all these killings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PomBear wrote: »
    What a heavily edited load of sh|te. And he still acts like an ignorant pr|ck. He talks over the Garda on multiple occasions, and still thinks he should get away scot free?
    zing zong wrote: »
    A pamphlet listed stores in Galway that sold Israeli goods and how to spot them.
    I wonder does this pamphlet get updated? Or does he get people to boycott stores wen when they have stopped selling such goods? In these times, when shops are closing, his efforts are no doubt putting innocent people out of a job.

You should teach him, you appear to have most of the attributes.

Such as...? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder does this pamphlet get updated? Or does he get people to boycott stores wen when they have stopped selling such goods? In these times, when shops are closing, his efforts are no doubt putting innocent people out of a job.

Hyperbole, much? You making a massive stretch here tbh and are basically accusing the guys of causing people to lose there jobs, which is quite frankly a ridiculous accusation to come up with. Sure, you may as well blame him on swine flu. as I am sure the guy has sneezed sometime in his life.

the_syco wrote: »
    What a heavily edited load of sh|te. And he still acts like an ignorant pr|ck. He talks over the Garda on multiple occasions, and still thinks he should get away scot free?

Boycotting Israeli goods is an excellent non violent means of protesting. It's just a shame the EU don't join in as they did with South Africa. Before the anti-semitism charges are made I am also in favour of economic sanctions on countries which conduct gender apartheid like Saudi Arabia, especially wealthy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

imokyrok wrote: »
    Boycotting Israeli goods is an excellent non violent means of protesting. It's just a shame the EU don't join in as they did with South Africa. Before the anti-semitism charges are made I am also in favour of economic sanctions on countries which conduct gender apartheid like Saudi Arabia, especially wealthy ones.

Arabs are Semites too :P.

Joking aside, boycotts against regimes like the Israeli and Saudi ones are perfectly legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

wes wrote: »
    Arabs are Semites too :P.

Joking aside, boycotts against regimes like the Israeli and Saudi ones are perfectly legitimate.
    What about regimes that seek to annihilate another state?

I posted a legal definition of a public place, which would include the service area of a bank.this section of the bank is considered a public place however the "back rooms" where the public do not have a right to enter is a private place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Let me get this straight...

If I dont buy avocados, Iran will stop supplying weapons to Hizbollah and Hamas?

I do like avocados though.

Advertisement