Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

cream or emollient, Merkin?

it looks better in the morning but when he starts drooling all over it and moving around, skin gets more and more irritated, looks really bad in the evenings. I'm using Dermolex on it at the moment but it's not helping much.
    chin.small_zpscudyt5kt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Aw the poor sausage, bubs had the same. Dad said the cream but Mr. Merkin picked it up and could only get Oilatum Gel and it worked just as well. Bath baby as usual, make sure area is wet and then rub in the gel well, it cleared it up beautifully. It or the cream are equally good afaik.

http://www.naturesbest.co.uk/pharmacy/stiefel-oilatum-gel-150g-p5011091103216/?src=gomisc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

j@utis wrote: »
    cream or emollient, Merkin?

it looks better in the morning but when he starts drooling all over it and moving around, skin gets more and more irritated, looks really bad in the evenings. I'm using Dermolex on it at the moment but it's not helping much.

Jumping in here but Vaseline all the way! It'll create a barrier to stop the drooling contact with the skin, giving it time to heal. I also sometimes use a mix of Vaseline and sudocreme, that way one is a barrier and the other is soothing and healing

thanks Merkin, I think I've seen that stuff in Boots.

I was thinking the same RentDayBlues and tried putting lanolin cream (yeah, the one for the nipples by lansinoh) on his chin. It's hard, thick and sticky I was expecting it to stay there for the day but an hour later it was gone - rubbed off onto the clothes or absorbed, or...? at the moment I have his chin is covered with coconut oil and Dermalex to help healing... I'm afraid this teething rash is here to stay until he stops teething at the age of... 2yrs?

btw, Dermalex realy works on the other parts of the body where skin is dry and flaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

I was thinking the same RentDayBlues and tried putting lanolin cream (yeah, the one for the nipples by lansinoh) on his chin. It's hard, thick and sticky I was expecting it to stay there for the day but an hour later it was gone - rubbed off onto the clothes or absorbed, or...? at the moment I have his chin is covered with coconut oil and Dermalex to help healing... I'm afraid this teething rash is here to stay until he stops teething at the age of... 2yrs?

btw, Dermalex realy works on the other parts of the body where skin is dry and flaky.

Thanks for the tip re: Dermalex, I'm going to buy this tomorrow. My we fella has dry,itchy patches and GP prescribed a steroid cream. Didn't really work and didn't like using a steroid on his skin. This stuff sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Should have added, it's a constant battle but worse in their first 18 months I found, just keep topping up Vaseline. My first got 8 teeth in 8 weeks when she turned 18 months and no drool or rash, just very red cheeks. My second is getting her molars and her cheeks are so bad they bleed :( Doesn't bother her thankfully, just looks so sore

Steroid cream?! straight away? such creams are for serious problems like bleeding eczema rashes, ouch! Dermalex worked on his cheeks and tummy in only two days. I think he has contact dermatitis or something along those lines - skin that get most of rubbing when he's shuffling around is in patches: neck, tummy, thighs... he will grow out of it eventually, he's just not that nice to look at the moment :D

Steroid cream?! straight away? such creams are for serious problems like bleeding eczema rashes, ouch! Dermalex worked on his cheeks and tummy in only two days. I think he has contact dermatitis or something along those lines - skin that get most of rubbing when he's shuffling around is in patches: neck, tummy, thighs... he will grow out of it eventually, he's just not that nice to look at the moment :D

I had tryed silcocks base, aqueous cream, la Roche possey. None of those helped and he was driven mad trying to scratch all the time 😞 The steroid didn't even help so stopped it. Elave is the only cream that seems to be helping a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We've no rashes or teeth yet, but plenty of drooling! She has to have one of the plastic backed bibs on pretty much all the time! Still not sitting up on her own for more than maybe 20 seconds, but getting there! She'll pull herself to sitting in her buggy or the bouncer (so we've had to take that out because it's dangerously close to tipping forward).
    Breakfast this morning was Weetabix with mushed banana in her milk, we have stew here for dinner so I just have to figure out what she's going to get for lunch!
    She takes juice out of her sippy cup - it's one with a softer teat instead of the plastic ones. She's a pro at it and loves to be able to hold it herself, but she hasn't quite worked out how to tilt back for the bit at the end :P

Teething kicked in full swing again last night with blazing cheeks and a lot of growling and chewing. I'll only have this gummy smile for so long!
    10429367_10152616581857227_1810042049656651977_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We've no rashes or teeth yet, but plenty of drooling! She has to have one of the plastic backed bibs on pretty much all the time! Still not sitting up on her own for more than maybe 20 seconds, but getting there! She'll pull herself to sitting in her buggy or the bouncer (so we've had to take that out because it's dangerously close to tipping forward).
    Breakfast this morning was Weetabix with mushed banana in her milk, we have stew here for dinner so I just have to figure out what she's going to get for lunch!
    She takes juice out of her sippy cup - it's one with a softer teat instead of the plastic ones. She's a pro at it and loves to be able to hold it herself, but she hasn't quite worked out how to tilt back for the bit at the end :P

Teething kicked in full swing again last night with blazing cheeks and a lot of growling and chewing. I'll only have this gummy smile for so long!
    10429367_10152616581857227_1810042049656651977_n.jpg

You're up to three meals already, wow! We're only at breakfast and lunch. How did you decide when to add a third meal?

I still haven't introduced gluten. Will probably give weetabix over the next few days to get her started.

What juice do you give? I plan to stick to milk and water but I'm curious to know which juice is suitable. Is it a sugar free baby juice, like heinz brand or something?

• Advertisement

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    You're up to three meals already, wow! We're only at breakfast and lunch. How did you decide when to add a third meal?

I still haven't introduced gluten. Will probably give weetabix over the next few days to get her started.

What juice do you give? I plan to stick to milk and water but I'm curious to know which juice is suitable. Is it a sugar free baby juice, like heinz brand or something?

Well it kinda happened by accident, she gets really grouchy watching us eat lunch so we used to give her something small to include her and now if she doesn't get a lunch with us she loses her bananas :p So breakfast is usually weetabix and bananas, lunch and dinner is whatever we are having. She's a hungry hound and I've had to take meals off her when I know she's had too much, and if only you guys could see the TANTRUM!

Yeah just an ounce or two of the baby juice, or watered down pure juice if I don't have the baby stuff. Mum said no added sugar Mi Wadi reeeeally diluted would be fine, but we haven't done that yet!

I'm trying to come up with a plan to help my little one's sleep routine. She falls asleep on her evening bottle, and then sleeps for anywhere from 9-11 hours, though usually 9.5-10 is the most common. So we have three problems. I need to get her to go asleep without relying on the bottle, she needs to get closer to the 11 hour mark because she's still tired in the morning and hopefully the longer sleep will also put an end to the 5am wake ups. Should be a doddle!!!

I'm going back to work on Tuesday so she'll be adjusting to that and the new minder so I'll probably leave it a few weeks but I'm absolutely dreading trying to break the bottle/sleep attachment. Don't think it'll be easy!

I'm trying to come up with a plan to help my little one's sleep routine. She falls asleep on her evening bottle, and then sleeps for anywhere from 9-11 hours, though usually 9.5-10 is the most common. So we have three problems. I need to get her to go asleep without relying on the bottle, she needs to get closer to the 11 hour mark because she's still tired in the morning and hopefully the longer sleep will also put an end to the 5am wake ups. Should be a doddle!!!

I'm going back to work on Tuesday so she'll be adjusting to that and the new minder so I'll probably leave it a few weeks but I'm absolutely dreading trying to break the bottle/sleep attachment. Don't think it'll be easy!

I thought there was a reply to this from Merkin, not sure where it's gone!!

She currently just gets breakfast and lunch but certainly when we introduce a tea that will be a good opportunity to change her routine and remove the bottle from directly before bed. The changed routine won't bother her in the slightest as she's very flexible around feeding times. It's just getting her to settle herself to sleep in the cot. She used be great at it but now in recent times she just falls asleep on her evening bottle no matter what time we give it. But hopefully she will be able to get back to nodding off herself!

Any other of the July babies still toothless? ?

Any other of the July babies still toothless? ?

Yup, still as gummy as the day she was born here :pac:
    Watching her talk this morning in the cot (she's only awake) and we got a mama, dada, baba, wahwan, gaga, lala and her personal favourite - nana (does she know it's her night to stay in her nana's? :p )

Yup, still as gummy as the day she was born here :pac:
    Watching her talk this morning in the cot (she's only awake) and we got a mama, dada, baba, wahwan, gaga, lala and her personal favourite - nana (does she know it's her night to stay in her nana's? :p )

Only awake? ? You lucky thing. Our early bird is up since 5.40am!

Only awake? ? You lucky thing. Our early bird is up since 5.40am!

Earliest we will see her waken is 8.45 when OH's alarm goes off. If I give her a bottle and put her back down she'll sleep on till 12 but since she's gone onto the three spoonfeeds we get up at that stage and she gets her breakfast too :D
    She had an ice-cream cone (under strict supervision) last night, and it was a roaring success - she LOVED IT!

10426128_10152743321767998_6558895770413282555_n.jpg

Earliest we will see her waken is 8.45 when OH's alarm goes off. If I give her a bottle and put her back down she'll sleep on till 12 but since she's gone onto the three spoonfeeds we get up at that stage and she gets her breakfast too :D
    She had an ice-cream cone (under strict supervision) last night, and it was a roaring success - she LOVED IT!

10426128_10152743321767998_6558895770413282555_n.jpg

Still completely gummy here too and no signs of teething. Do you mind me asking what time your little girl goes to bed at ? That's some time for her to wake up 😀 My fella goes down at 7pm and up at 7 am

shivers27 wrote: »
    Still completely gummy here too and no signs of teething. Do you mind me asking what time your little girl goes to bed at ? That's some time for her to wake up 😀 My fella goes down at 7pm and up at 7 am

Usually half 8 or maybe 9 if she's had a late evening nap, so really she is sleeping the 12 hours like most babies. She'll nap from about 10-12 whether I put her back in the cot or get up with her for the morning - she's very strict about her own routine and doesn't let anything interfere with it! Even in either nanna's houses, she sleeps, wakes, eats and even poops the same times as she does at home :cool:

Usually half 8 or maybe 9 if she's had a late evening nap, so really she is sleeping the 12 hours like most babies. She'll nap from about 10-12 whether I put her back in the cot or get up with her for the morning - she's very strict about her own routine and doesn't let anything interfere with it! Even in either nanna's houses, she sleeps, wakes, eats and even poops the same times as she does at home :cool:

Ah that's great she has such a good routine. It all depends on what time my fella wakes at, it could be 630 one morning and 745 the next. The rest of his naps will be at different times depending on what time he wakes at. Bedtime is the same time every day tho �� he's definitely not napping half as much now, maybe only a total of 2.5 hrs some days !

• Advertisement

shivers27 wrote: »
    Ah that's great she has such a good routine. It all depends on what time my fella wakes at, it could be 630 one morning and 745 the next. The rest of his naps will be at different times depending on what time he wakes at. Bedtime is the same time every day tho �� he's definitely not napping half as much now, maybe only a total of 2.5 hrs some days !

Abi naps from about 10-12, sometimes 11-12 depending on when I get her up, then from 4/5 till 6/7 and then bed by 9 :pac: Sleep and milk, don't interfere with it and you will stay on her good side!

Just been for her 6 month jabs, the nurse was so captivated by her that she asked us to rebook for her day off so she wouldn't have to do it :p She's a favourite in the nurse's office!

Abi naps from about 10-12, sometimes 11-12 depending on when I get her up, then from 4/5 till 6/7 and then bed by 9 :pac: Sleep and milk, don't interfere with it and you will stay on her good side!

Just been for her 6 month jabs, the nurse was so captivated by her that she asked us to rebook for her day off so she wouldn't have to do it :p She's a favourite in the nurse's office!

Oh that's so nice. You got a lovely nurse. Our nurse made us wait half an hour while she chatted to the secretary :-( No Problems with vaccines at all tho, thankfully.

Ruben naps 3x 30mins during the day. Only last few days his lunch nap was a bit longer 1h-1.5h, I think he might be moving towards one long lunch nap instead of those 3 short ones. Now if he slept all night my boobs would blow up :D I wake him up if he's not awake at around 1-2am for his midnight feed. p.s. I don't get this obsession to get your baby to sleep through the night and then sleep all day etc... I see 'sleeping not sleeping' topic being brought up on every parent-baby forum so often, more often than any other issue. They're babies. It's normal for the babies to wake up at night.

The big change here is that he's started crawling and babysitting has got 100 times harder. You have to watch him all the time because he's not only crawling everywhere but also trying to climb things and because his balance isn't the greatest yet he keeps falling backwards or on his side.
    The tooth no3 is here too. At six months mark his weight was 8.51kg and length 71.5cm. He's not putting on much weight anymore - he's way too active, he can't stay a second still. everything he eats just gets burned off.

2015-02-09%20The%20most%20beautiful%20boy%20small_zpsemnu9v11.jpg

Ruben naps 3x 30mins during the day. Only last few days his lunch nap was a bit longer 1h-1.5h, I think he might be moving towards one long lunch nap instead of those 3 short ones. Now if he slept all night my boobs would blow up :D I wake him up if he's not awake at around 1-2am for his midnight feed. p.s. I don't get this obsession to get your baby to sleep through the night and then sleep all day etc... I see 'sleeping not sleeping' topic being brought up on every parent-baby forum so often, more often than any other issue. They're babies. It's normal for the babies to wake up at night.

The big change here is that he's started crawling and babysitting has got 100 times harder. You have to watch him all the time because he's not only crawling everywhere but also trying to climb things and because his balance is the greatest yet he keeps falling backwards or on his side.
    The tooth no3 is here too. At six months mark his weight was 8.51kg and length 71.5cm. He's not putting on much weight anymore - he's way too active, he can't stay a second still. everything he eats just gets burned off.

2015-02-09%20The%20most%20beautiful%20boy%20small_zpsemnu9v11.jpg

:eek: Crawling and climbing?!?!

My little one can't even sit up yet!!!!

My little one can't even sit up yet!!!!

Yeah Abigail can't do it for more than half a minute and even then I'm pretty sure it's just the immense fat lowering her centre of gravity! :pac:

yeah, he started crawling last wednesday. he'd been standing on his fours for a month before that so it finally clicked. He also sat up by himself the same day too. he can sit unsupported for a good while but he's not interested in sitting at all, it's too boring for him, he's always on the move. he's fallen backwards few times already and hurt himself quite bad: bump on the back of his head, loads of tears. :(
    as for climbing. he's not climbing the stairs yet but he's getting up on his knees like in the photo above and reaching for the things high on the shelves, on the sofa etc. and yet again in he's in danger of falling backwards :mad: :mad: I can't literally take my eyes off him. it's exhausting... now wait until they start walking :eek:

I actually can't believe it, he's SO advanced!
    How many weeks is he?
    (I keep forgetting there could be up to 4 weeks in the difference in July babies)

• Advertisement

~28wks, he was born on 1st of August. I'm on another 'born in july' forum and there're babies pulling themselves upright and walking while holding onto the things... so yeah, he's quite early to crawl but not that that early. I've read it's better for them too start standing up/walking a bit later when their muscles and bones are stronger, I'm not encouraging him to stand up and even planning not to let him if he figures it out himself too soon.

Advertisement