Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Started playing Colonial Marines last night, only paid 1.99 for it a while back, thought by now with all the patches, and given the low cost and low expectations I had, it might be half decent. It's not.

Personally, I'd prefer the concept of Colonial Marines done correctly over an unarmed survival horror concept but there's no disputing that it looks ambitious and could turn out to be one of the best Alien games in the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

TheDoc wrote: »
    It looks to be totally dynamic, which is being reported as a REAL power of the next-gen consoles, the ability for AI developement has been scary.
    If they actually said this,...

...i have low expectations...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

it looks ambitious and could turn out to be one of the best Alien games in the franchise.

In fairness, it wouldn't be hard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

TheDoc wrote: »
    The developer diary explains this in detail. Once on the spacestation the game is one seemless experience. No loading, chapters, breaks. You'll complete tasks and move onto new ones, but the point is that there is no scripting. The Alien is essentially adapting constantly to your play and style, and there is no scripted events.

From what I gathered you don't experience scripted events. In the gameplay for example an Alien walks by a window casting a shadow and the character kinda of gives out a fightened noise. This isn't scripted, you could play through ten times, and every time nothing happens here by you walking forward. On another occasions the Alien might burst through the window, on another occasions it might be standing there staring at you.

It looks to be totally dynamic, which is being reported as a REAL power of the next-gen consoles, the ability for AI developement has been scary.

So what just stops the alien killing you constantly or is it just going to be looking through an unbreakable window moment for the entire game until the very end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Would be cool if you had to run away from eggs and fight off face hungers with a baseball bat. Main Alien should be a queen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness, it wouldn't be hard

There's a fair few quality franchise games. Alien Trilogy, Alien Resurrection, AVP and AVP2, etc....

Rebellions 2010 AVP was disappointing considering they created the milestone by which all aspiring franchise games would be judged, the original AVP, but all in all, relative to Colonial Marines, it was a solid enough offering in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

GDC was on this week and included an hour-long playable build of Isolation; I spotted this preview on Rock Paper Shotgun & doubtless there will be others, but this particular one highlights the negatives from the preview. Specifically, some pretty spotty AI, which I hope is just because it was a rushed version for the Conference; the presence of combat though is a little more disappointing to hear. The aesthetics of it all still sound fantastic, so hopefully the gameplay is tightened up in the interim

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/23/preview-alien-isolation-horror-game/

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/150593/alien-isolation-pc-advantages
    Different platforms afford different advantages. Modern PCs with high-spec graphics cards cannot be beaten for shear raw power. What this translates into are higher resolutions and frame rates, which are always good. Also we can afford to scale assets (geometric, textural, animation, etc.) to take advantage of the extra fidelity. With higher resolution and more raw power available tessellation can occur earlier. Shadow algorithms can also be more realistic.

Many full screen effects can be refined due to the available power, for example ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing techniques, motion blur and depth of field and high resolution multi-monitor support can only be achieved by utilizing the GPU power available on the modern PC platform. We're also looking at support for 4k resolution for the best fidelity possible.
    [...]
    Our engine scales very well with multiple cores. Certainly I can confirm that more cores will increase the performance, if you don't get limited by GPU performance! We have a generalized job system with priorities and dependencies. All of our code uses this. This means, for instance, that if an AI routine can run simultaneously alongside a rendering routine then it 'just will' if the opportunity arises.
    Link to full article: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Alien-Isolation-PC-258198/Specials/Alien-Isolation-Exklusives-Interview-1116956/2/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,315 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just got my order from Nuuvem refunded today, took their time though
    I suppose €15 was too good to be true :D
    edit: actually it's still less than €23 there

• Advertisement

New concept video of some of the thinking behind Alien Isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Looks lovely in this vid. 16 IGN staff play through

• Registered Users Posts: 12,315 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Aliens games

they mostly come out allright, mostly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

E3 hands-on from PC Gamer.

It does contain gameplay spoilers, so be warned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's B-roll footage that accompanies the E3 demo; here it is below, via Kotaku, and so comes with narration from its writers there; it still gives a good sense of the more action-oriented gameplay. Somewhat disappointing to see there's going to be gunplay, but it does look like the Xenomorph is a constant variable in those scenarios, which is a nice idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

They mentioned Resident Evil 3, if it the Alien's random appearance is even as half as heart stopping as Nemesis, this will be a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Reviews of oculus gaming sounds scary as ****, looking down to see your motion detector and freaking out :D

Game is looking amazing, although there is gun s using them will mean you may certainly die as the AI alien will hear you and come for you. The AI element with no scripted alien movement is sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's B-roll footage that accompanies the E3 demo; here it is below, via Kotaku, and so comes with narration from its writers there; it still gives a good sense of the more action-oriented gameplay. Somewhat disappointing to see there's going to be gunplay, but it does look like the Xenomorph is a constant variable in those scenarios, which is a nice idea.

It looks absolutely gorgeous though doesn't it? Especially the flame effects. Looks really interesting though, especially with the androids and flame thrower... I think they needed to flesh it out, as certainly running from an unscripted AI with nothing else to do would grow pretty tedious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I assume they'll add a load of scripted events as well as having the Alien roam around unscripted. I hope they do anyway, as i like scripted events when done properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I also love how good the xenomorph looks. Often in games they don't get it right, and they come across really rigid rather than the lanky creeps they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As pointed out by CastorTroy in the preorder thread, preordering this will get you DLC where you play as the original cast in scenes from the 1st film. 1st DLC takes place during an attack and 2nd DLC is about the end of the film.

Preorder DLC in IGN link below.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/07/09/original-alien-cast-reunite-for-alien-isolation-dlc?+main+twitter

alien_isolation_dlc.jpg

Pre-ordered! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd love to play both of those DLC missions. And they've totally sold me on the game (along with all the positive previews of it of course)

Just need to know where will be the place to order it to get both sets of DLC!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd love to play both of those DLC missions. And they've totally sold me on the game (along with all the positive previews of it of course)

Just need to know where will be the place to order it to get both sets of DLC!
    The Ripley Edition will, I'd wager, be available after launch thus negating the need to pre-order the game at all. I mentioned it in the pre-order thread here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Could it be? A good Aliens game after all this time? I'll believe it when i see it. Too many disappointments since AvP2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I hate pre-ordering and pre-order bonuses in general, but dayum if I'm not tempted with this one. Previews have been good. Some very good. On the other hand though, this is a) an Alien game, and b) being developed by CA, hardly the poster boys for smooth, bug-free game launches - I swear, if the xenomorph just idly stands there while my Rhodesian slingers rain rocks on it's head, I'll go flippin' mental!

Decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

gizmo wrote: »
    The Ripley Edition will, I'd wager, be available after launch thus negating the need to pre-order the game at all. I mentioned it in the pre-order thread here.

Oh, I've no doubt that it will, and possibly available later with the game also, in a GOTY style package, but still tempting to get it early and with the DLC free...

Oh, I've no doubt that it will, and possibly available later with the game also, in a GOTY style package, but still tempting to get it early and with the DLC free...
    Do you mean it could be released in GOTY form at a later date in a non-retailer exclusive manner?

If so, perhaps, it would depend on the deal with retailers obviously. If not not, then this is literally what you're looking for: Ripley Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sega have now said the DLC will be available to all.......some time down the road. This was mental. Some people would prefer to play Ripley's story than the main game. Go old school and have the DLC unlock when you clear the game on hard or something!!
    It's genuinely been great to see the reaction to The Crew Expendable and Last Survivor pre-order bonus content we announced yesterday and how excited you all are to re-experience those classic scenes from the original movie with our Alien. It's been absolutely amazing for us at the Studio.

However, some of you have been asking if the two pieces of content are only available through pre-order or if we'll be releasing them at a later date as well.

So, I can confirm today that we do plan to release both Crew Expendable and Last Survivor at a later date and we'll have more details for you guys on that shortly.

Read more from Player Attack: http://www.playerattack.co.uk/news/2014/07/11/alien-isolation-original-cast-dlc-available-to-all/#ixzz379FJ01Ok

• Advertisement

Ugh.

Seems retailers aren't exactly playing ball with Alien Isolation pre-orders. Amazon, for instance, have two editions for sale, the Standard Edition and the Nostromo Edition, the latter of course containing the "Crew Expendable" content. The £8 price difference isn't exactly the same as free DLC for pre-orders.

It could of course be a mistake since Amazon.com don't make the same distinction and other retailers, such as Shopto, only have the Nostromo Edition available for pre-order at the same price as the Standard on Amazon.

Advertisement