Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

With the shared enrolment between CCC & LCC could anybody tell me if you are on the waiting list for CCC and have received an offer for LCC, if you accept the LCC offer does that forfeit your place on the CCC waiting list? I suspect it does, could anybody confirm please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My understanding is yes. you have to hope if you don't get into to CCC there are still places left at the end in LCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

CCC & LCC are reviewing their common enrolment policy at the moment. They met with local principals recently and with parent associations last night.
    They will have an online survey next week (Monday 9th October until 16th October).

I could be wrong but I don't think is a problem with places in LCC. Only CCC because its been there longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

Edmund Rice College open evening is on Wed 11 October 2017 from 7.30pm to 9pm in St Patricks NS, Diswellstown Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Coolmine open evening this evening 7:30 to 9:30

The Open evening in Coolmine was quite impressive. The new leadership in there seems to have really made it once again a good school with a clear focus. There were lots of genuinely nice students around heaping all the 5th and 6th class kids on tours. The project work and additional activities seemed very good and overall they gave a very good impression.
    The school seemed reasonably well kitted out for the multitude of subjects they offer but the building itself is pretty grim and certainly shows its age.

AlanG wrote: »
    The Open evening in Coolmine was quite impressive. The new leadership in there seems to have really made it once again a good school with a clear focus. There were lots of genuinely nice students around heaping all the 5th and 6th class kids on tours. The project work and additional activities seemed very good and overall they gave a very good impression.
    The school seemed reasonably well kitted out for the multitude of subjects they offer but the building itself is pretty grim and certainly shows its age.

Absolutely agree with this. I was there last night and I also went to Le Cheile in Tyrrelstown. The facilities at Le Cheile are superb. Apparently the Edmund Rice school when built will be a similar, if not better spec. I felt claustrophobic in Coolmine after being spoilt with the new build! As you said though the management and ethos at Coolmine impressed me also.

The survey for LCC/CCC Enrolment Policy Review is now available. It is scheduled to close next Monday, 16 October.

Consultation on Review of shared enrolment policy (Castleknock Community College and Luttrellstown Community College)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QZNLCKD

Very poor survey. Lacks any detail to be useful. If its to check box "did survey" then that's about all its good for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It assumes a very high level of knowledge about the current admissions process. That's fine for people with kids in 5th or 6th class but the people who'll be affected quit likely don't know the finer details.

The joint policy is designed to push people towards LCC and away from CCC.

I think that's a bit unfair for people already committed in schools, and to an area, as in bought a house. New people moving into the area don't have a problem as they are coming with no previous commitments to the area or schools.

I expect it will only be an issue for a few years.

Edmund Rice meeting last night was good although they didn't start the presentation until after 8:15 so there was a lot of waiting around. The school is currently housed in Tyrrelstown but will be in Mill road next year, unless their new school is built by then. Edmund rice trust is basically the old Christian Brothers Schools and have a strong focus on Faith. Currently there are 20 first years and 9 teachers. The will take in 72 this year if they get enough takers and a bus will be provided free to Mill road. They will give preference to kids form Castleknock and Carpenterstown.
    Principal seemed like a good guy and had good plans for the school. The school site has not been chosen yet but the department have told him it will be announced very soon. It will eventually take 1000 students. The school building will be similar to the new one in Tyrrelstown.

2017 Feeder School tables in today’s Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Has anyone heard anything further on the permanent location of the Edmund Rice school? At the information evening, we were told that the Phoenix park site was too small, not fit for purpose and not wanted by either the school or the department of education. They were very close to securing a different site. Is there any further news? It would be good to know where this is going.

Due to planning complications the site they wanted is no longer available. I think Fingal were due to present details of 2 new sites to the department in December and they were hopeful that the new site would be identified by the end of Jan but it appears this still hasn't happened. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The article above makes no mention of any school in particular, so until there is actual evidence of a particular school being investigated please do not mention any names here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Sorry about that, thought the school would have been named by now.

Is it correct that Riverwood is back in the CCC priority catchment for 2019 applicants?

Is it correct that Riverwood is back in the CCC priority catchment for 2019 applicants?
    Yes.
    https://www.riverwoodres.com/2018/02/riverwood-back-catchment-ccc/

Other changes:
    - Applicants are no longer penalised for choosing the school that is not in their catchment area.
    - If offered a place in both schools only one place can be accepted.

• Advertisement

Thank you daymobrew, appreciated. Is there any word on how Scoil Choilm is performing?, the reason I ask is I guess most from this school would end up at LCC, although I think from this year the agreement where they had automatic access has now come to an end and usual rules now apply.

I don't have any info on Scoil Choilm. I'm not sure how you'd get that info because enrolment demand would likely be kept secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Construction of a new secondary school for "Blanchardstown West & Village" has been announced.

Interestingly, no mention of the ERST secondary in Castleknock on the below lists.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/forty-four-schools-to-be-built-as-hundreds-of-upgrades-put-on-hold-1.3460181

Construction of a new secondary school for "Blanchardstown West & Village" has been announced.

Interestingly, no mention of the ERST secondary in Castleknock on the below lists.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/forty-four-schools-to-be-built-as-hundreds-of-upgrades-put-on-hold-1.3460181

I think the ERST is not on that list because it is already established and the announcement is of schools to be established. Unfortunately if the new school is established in 2020 it will probably spend years in the prefabs by the hospital before a building is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I think the ERST is not on that list because it is already established and the announcement is of schools to be established. Unfortunately if the new school is established in 2020 it will probably spend years in the prefabs by the hospital before a building is completed.

Any idea where the general area where it will be built. Probably over the side of the hospital rather than village given that there is little space near the village.

If the experience of Edmond Rice is anything to go by the school will be established and put into temporary accommodation, Most likely where Edmond rice has been. Once it has a management board and is running the first years the department will begin looking for a site. I am not sure the boundaries of the Blanchardstown West & Village school planning zone but if it includes waterville and the site is suitable they may develop the old institute of horology site to a permanent location but it could be much further west. The current secondary schools in this planning area are coolmine, hartstown, blankestown (blanch village) and setanta and hansfield (blanch west).
    source is page 12 of https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Establishing-a-New-School/New-Post-Primary-Schools/2017-2018/Establishing-a-Post-Primary-School-Assessment-Report-Carpenterstown-Castleknock.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

If the experience of Edmond Rice is anything to go by the school will be established and put into temporary accommodation, Most likely where Edmond rice has been. Once it has a management board and is running the first years the department will begin looking for a site. I am not sure the boundaries of the Blanchardstown West & Village school planning zone but if it includes waterville and the site is suitable they may develop the old institute of horology site to a permanent location but it could be much further west. The current secondary schools in this planning area are coolmine, hartstown, blankestown (blanch village) and setanta and hansfield (blanch west).
    source is page 12 of https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Establishing-a-New-School/New-Post-Primary-Schools/2017-2018/Establishing-a-Post-Primary-School-Assessment-Report-Carpenterstown-Castleknock.pdf

Actually any word on where they are building the new Edmond Rice school. Was supposed to be the Phoenix Park but heard that was shelved and haven't heard anything since.

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Actually any word on where they are building the new Edmond Rice school. Was supposed to be the Phoenix Park but heard that was shelved and haven't heard anything since.

I haven't heard - The school didn't want the racecourse site (they said so at the meeting before Christmas I attended). They were very hopeful for another site they would not specify the location of.
    From what I heard the preferred site didn't work out. I am not sure if the racecourse site is still an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Can any parents with kids in scoil oilibheir share more about what they do for afterschool care? I believe they have an afterschool program but it ends at 5? Does everyone else who works later use Childminders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 maryjanemax

There is an on-site afterschool run from a prefab in the yard. From this September it will run until 5.30pm if that is any use to you. You can get a form from the school office or by calling into them after school.

Advertisement