Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Irish HL predictions P 1 AND 2 * (1 thread please!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

I don't have definate ideas in my paragraphs tbh, just a general essay on how politics is a scam and if we don't change the way the country is run we're screwed. :L Got around 3.5 pages out of it all the same, just shows how bad the country is :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

biggaman wrote: »
    I don't have definate ideas in my paragraphs tbh, just a general essay on how politics is a scam and if we don't change the way the country is run we're screwed. :L Got around 3.5 pages out of it all the same, just shows how bad the country is :P

Well in fairness, youre idea is better than mine because mine is very tailored to one type of essay - at least you should be able to play around with yours no matter what the title.

Oh god can you imagine if NOTHING comes up on problems/recession or politics. I'll literally have nothing to write :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 expectant

Some good tips here....thanks posters

Ok... I'm not planning to study these poems -
    An Chead Drama (2010)
    Uirchill an Creagain (2010)
    An t-Oilean (2006, some controversy about it then hasn't come up since!)

Am I crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

plmokn wrote: »
    Never covered anything on emmigration.. But I have loads on the recession and politics and that... I'm freaking out about the essay already to be honest! Just because it's worth so many marks :(
    Thanks for the advice!

I know this is such a cliché but all you can do is your best. Over the weekend you should randomely pick a past paper you havent done, give a go at the comprehensions at first and then launch into the essay. practice your grammar more than anything.

recession and politics are topics that have a really high chance of coming up and if you have some stuff prepared then stick to that. :D

3A: Gealt. Jack. Bimse Buan.

3C: Oiche Nollag and Maigdileana.

Stair: An Fhiannaiocht , Na hAnnala, An Aisling Pholaitiul.

• Advertisement

expectant wrote: »

An Chead Drama (2010)

Am I crazy?

Nope I dont think youre crazy. Im not planning to study any of these either :)

Im putting the most work into Magdileana, Oiche Nollag and Dan do Melissa.

Dánta Dualgais Breise: An t-Oileán, Maigdileana, Oíche Nollaig na mBan.

Níl Aon Ní, Bimse Buan, Gealt

Cearrbhach/Bean Óg, Lig Sinn i gCathú, Clare sa Spéir.

Ruraíocht, Fiannaíocht are hotly tipped for stair na Gaeilge!

Go n-éirí libh a chairde! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Could someone answer: how do you say "they are going abroad to find jobs"
    Is it: "ta siad ag dul thar lar chun postanna a fail????
    It's the "to find" part that I don't know??

Could someone answer: how do you say "they are going abroad to find jobs"
    Is it: "ta siad ag dul thar lar chun postanna a fail????
    It's the "to find" part that I don't know??

Tá siad ag dul thar lear/ar imirce chun fostaíocht a haimsiú

They are going abroad/emigrating to find employment

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Realt11 wrote: »
    Tá siad ag dul thar lear/ar imirce chun fostaíocht a haimsiú

They are going abroad/emigrating to find employment

Ok, thanks a lot!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I was looking through the papers and to be honest you need to study all pass poems and stories, the compulsory question topic often comes up on the paper the next year as a choice and often as the compulsory one too.

expectant wrote: »

An Chead Drama (2010)

Am I crazy?

hmmm well if i was you i would study an t-oilean, its the last year and to be honest its the most likely to come up, you can chance leaving an chead drama out and as for Uirchill just learn aisling for stair and if they do happen to repeat it at least you'll know something about it from that point of view

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

There's been a lot of talk in Irish language circles about the Stráitéis Fiche Bliain don Ghaeilge (20 year strategy for the Irish language). I'd say there's a good chance something on the Irish language will come up, for that reason. It could be a debate though. Something linked to this would be the usefulness (or perhaps lack thereof) of the language.

It's likely any question relating to the recession will be skewed in some way. The problem would be understanding what the title means, especially if it's an idiom or seanfhocal. Something on the benefits of travel or some such could be linked to this through emigration.

They're just my musings!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

What was the controversy about An t-Oilean in 2006?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm so screwed for the aural...when that goddamn Ulster dialect comes up, they may as well be speaking Korean to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I wish we heard the last section a third time and the comhras only twice. I usually get the comhras on the first listen but I'm terrible at the last section.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

I found my some notes she gave us on oiche nollaig, marked as VERY IMPORTANT...

Thanks ..was getting worried :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 claire_p

xclw wrote: »
    how many stairs are people doing?

if i learn
    -aislings
    -ruraiocht
    -fiannaiocht
    -athbheochan
    -ogham
    -gaeltachts
    -gluaiseanna sa sean gaeilge

will i have enough to be covered or can anyone suggest another 1 or 2 to learn too
    thanks!!

i picked 10 altoghether.. mine our

ruraiocht
    fiannaiocht
    aisling
    gaeilge sa meain cumarsaide
    gael linn
    an gaeiltacht
    na hannala

and then 3 people that are easy to remember beacuse the are to do with our course:

mairtin o dieran
    mairead ni ghrada
    caitlin maude

if i were you, id have the media one done, that was a big tip, and obviously you have both ruraiocht and fhianniocht, one of them defo will be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 decosabute

Danta Dualgais Breise:

I've gone for
    Oiche Nollag
    Maigdileana
    An tOilean
    Dan Do Mhelissa.

No matter what anyone says, these are by far the most likely. I've not bothered with last year's two (Chead Drama and Uirchill) because they've never ever repeated the same ones consecutive years. This being the last year, they're not going to start now. I've also taken a look at the absolute basics of Da mB'fheidir... just in case they decide bring up both of the poems from 2 years ago. I'm confident I've got the bases covered with all that.

Aiste:
    I've done the recession one, an emigration one (which has a lot of the same stuff as the recession), one on timpeallacht and one on problems for young people. I slightly regret not doing one on politics now, but having looked through the past papers, there's just about always been a way of working one of the ones I have done into a title. As others have said, it's only 20% of the marks in the essay going for content, so even if it's a pretty tenuous link to the title, you should still be able to score reasonably well with a well written essay.

Good luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 claire_p

i am hoping for the paper this year that the following comes up in paper 2

pros
    any except lig sinn, and that cearrbhach isn't the compulsary one..

an triail
    a charachter question comes up

Pass poems
    dont mind, once bimse buan isnt the compulsary one..

hons poems
    any from:
    maigdilena
    an mhatar
    oiche nollaig
    dan do mhellisa
    an chead drama
    (they're the only ones i know)

stair na gaeilge
    ruraiocht
    fhianiocht
    na hannala
    aisling
    an gaeltacht
    gael linn
    gaeilge sa meain cumarsaide
    mairtin o dieran
    mairead ne ghrada
    caitlin maude

do you all think that's enough? i know an t-oilean is due, but i just dont like it and it's too long to cover by tuesday!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AHogan92

Quick one there for ye: if i use fiche blian ag fas in the pros roghnach (ceist 1) could i use it again for dirbheathnneis roghnach(ceist 2)? Cram cram cram!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

AFAIK You can't use Fiche Bliain ag Fás in the prós rognach section or in the dírbheathaisnéisí rognach section........:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Emz..

Realt11 wrote: »
    it depends how well you keep to the point. going off on an opinion that you off by heart but has no relevance to the title will cost you marks BUT they give more marks on the grammar: the tense you use, how well you use it, fluency etc.

if i were you Emz id learn off a few key terms about the recession just to throw in if you want to write the essay you have. At least then they (examiners) know it aint all bull**** :D

Thanks a million!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AHogan92

so where do i use it? could i use lig sinn i gathu fo he ursceal roghnach..im an exernal student so no 1 else to ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Im literally leaving all my Stair until the very last, which will probably be around 11 monday night :( What do you think I should look at??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Im literally leaving all my Stair until the very last, which will probably be around 11 monday night :( What do you think I should look at??
    Look at the writers. They're very easy. Just learn off a few details about the most popular ones in English and translate it on the fly during the exam in to Irish.

I got away with saying "Rugadh sé i dtús an fichiú céad i gContae Corcaigh" and the like instead of exact dates and places without losing too many marks in my mock.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

For stair I'm doing Fianniocht ruraiocht ogham and the writers... should that be enough? or what else?

how many writers do you have to study? my teacher never did them with us but i was looking in my book and you only need about 5 lines on each so i think i'll do them.

The only Stair I'm studying are;

An Ruraiocht
    An Fhiannaiocht
    Na hAnnala
    Aisling Pholaitiuil

I know its a big gamble but I have to draw the line and I'm trying to revise the poems and everything else. I think of those four, surely one will come up, and it wont make a massive dent in my grade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emma123abc

Does anyone have notes or a paragraph or a link for imirce they could share with me?

Have lots of recession vocab learned and all the fadhbanna sa tír and fadhbanna an duine óig, but nothing on imirce, and it seems highly tipped to come up!

Oh and anything on politicians? just a few lines to incoroporate into an essay:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement