Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2014 EDITION

Options
  • 22-11-2014 5:29am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

MOD EDIT, COPY OF POST 35:

Hey Folks,

There's been a number of threads created by posters who have just bought an Xbox 360/Xbox One, all of which are asking roughly the same questions. Everyone has been incredibly helpful with these questions, such that most of these threads die off pretty quick, so fair play to all involved!

Some of these threads continue on, though, becoming a new kind of all questions answered thread, so rather than have these threads taking up so much of the first page, we're going to combine them into one megathread that will contain all of them.

We think that this is just a Christmas thing, what with people buying consoles for the first time, having no idea on what to buy/how to set it up.

However, as these types of large threads can be intimidating for people, particularly people who are looking for info, the way it's going to work is this:

1. Newbie posts new thread
    2. Xbox Sages on the Xbox Forum answer the questions in that thread
    3. After a couple of days, the thread is merged into this one
    4. Profit*

*May not be any profit.

To everyone coming here for the first time, welcome! We hope that everyone here can help you. As a starting point, have a quick read of our FAQ, your question might already be answered there.

CatInABox

Hi,

Am a pc gamer but the kids want an xbox one for xmas.

I see here that ye talk about different models/versions or packs etc

can you give me a brief, best buy ie such a model is newer, 500gb is best, don't buy this xbox/combo...... etc

just so I know what to keep an eye out for.

appreciate it.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi,

Am a pc gamer but the kids want an xbox one for xmas.

I see here that ye talk about different models/versions or packs etc

can you give me a brief, best buy ie such a model is newer, 500gb is best, don't buy this xbox/combo...... etc

just so I know what to keep an eye out for.

appreciate it.

K

Depends, what games will your kids want for the Xbox One? As there are lots of different offers with games such as Xbox ONE with GTA V for €399. They mostly run like that. Also would they want the kinect or no?

There are 2 different colours, basic black and "special edition" white version bundled with Sunset Overdrive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi Thanks -

kids will prob get purchased games after - plants v zombies, lego.
    and I'll get a game or two with a bundle.
    no kinect needed yet.
    will keep an eye on the bargain alerts thread.

any real need for the Sunset model ?

I will need a second controller - better off wireless all round ?

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

sunset overdrive is a game, it just comes with the white xbox one model, which is all the same bar the colour. And wireless is he only way to go at the moment, you could get a plug and play kit which will wire up to the xbox to save you from buying batteries if you want.

If you're looking at getting another controller then you might as well pick it up as special offer with xbox in argos and save €13.

Btw if you're looking at getting Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare then DON'T buy it on disc.

Get EA Access which is a subsciption on Xbox ONE only costs €25 for the year but you get 6 FULL games, granted you do have to download them but it's well worth it!

fhS6bEj.png

Now thats a good deal.
    and that info is priceless for an xbox noob.

granted it's for the "kids", but they have to go to bed sometime :)

good stuff, keep it coming as I'm sure I'm not alone in taking in all this info.

again, thx.

Misky - is that EA deal thru the xbox store or through EA - I only see a monthly subscription @ euro4 a month (euro48 for the year)

K

• Advertisement

Now thats a good deal.
    and that info is priceless for an xbox noob.

granted it's for the "kids", but they have to go to bed sometime :)

good stuff, keep it coming as I'm sure I'm not alone in taking in all this info.

again, thx.

Misky - is that EA deal thru the xbox store or through EA - I only see a monthly subscription @ euro4 a month (euro48 for the year)

K

No probs. Any questions don't be afraid to ask :)

Also, it is recommended that when you get the Xbox start it up and go through the updates for the system itself as well as the any games you get, disc games will need to be installed onto the hard drive and download and install all them EA Access games so you don't have to do it on Christmas day when the servers will be hammered and slow.

Yeah the EA Access you sign up to through the Xbox itself. There's an EA Access Hub app on the app store, you sign up through that for 12 months with your debit or credit card for €24.99 per year. One of the best bargains going seeing as the likes of Gamestop would charge you €44.99 for Plants vs Zombies alone! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Is Ea access worth joining? Do I need Gold to join? Or is it better to join Xbox Gold. Want to play more games.. Looking for a cheaper way as the hard copies in shops can be expensive..
    If I sign up to Xbox gold and download the two free games each month given, are those still playable after the subscription ends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

In order of your questions...

1) Yes, if you're a fan of EA's franchises it's an incredible value proposition. Battlefield 4 (which finally works), FIFA 14, Madden 25, Peggle 2 and Need for Speed Rivals for a fiver a month is insane value. Plus UFC will be added soon I believe
    2) MS removed the paygate for online services in June, so I assume you no longer need Gold to access the services, but you definitely do to play the games online
    3) On Xbox 360, yes, but not on the One unfortunately - the games are tied to your sub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Its a bit of a catch 22 as the games on ea access are at their best online so you would need gold to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Its a bit of a catch 22 as the games on ea access are at their best online so you would need gold to play them.
    However, gold / multiplayer it is not a requirement.

Madden, FIFA, Peggle, and NFS Rivals all feature very solid Single Player Modes.
    Battlefield has an OK campaign.
    PvZ is online only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

COYVB wrote: »
    In order of your questions...

1) Yes, if you're a fan of EA's franchises it's an incredible value proposition. Battlefield 4 (which finally works), FIFA 14, Madden 25, Peggle 2 and Need for Speed Rivals for a fiver a month is insane value. Plus UFC will be added soon I believe
    2) MS removed the paygate for online services in June, so I assume you no longer need Gold to access the services, but you definitely do to play the games online
    3) On Xbox 360, yes, but not on the One unfortunately - the games are tied to your sub

Signing up to ea access today. With regards gold for instance they are good giving worms the game for XB1 owners on gold BUT when my sub runs out is that game still mine if I downloaded it during the subscription?

Nope, you need to have an active gold subscription to access any games downloaded for Xbox One through games with gold unfortunately. I assume that, like PlayStation Plus, should your Gold run out at any time, once you resubscribe you'll regain access to your GWG titles, though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Signing up to ea access today. With regards gold for instance they are good giving worms the game for XB1 owners on gold BUT when my sub runs out is that game still mine if I downloaded it during the subscription?

you can buy a years worth of xbox live for as low as 35 euros if you look around online, theres really no reason not to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

when the subscription for EA Acess runs out are the 6 games still yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Trilla wrote: »
    when the subscription for EA Acess runs out are the 6 games still yours?

Nope, you need to renew to play them. Its basically a rental service for the year/month

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

COYVB wrote: »
    Nope, you need to have an active gold subscription to access any games downloaded for Xbox One through games with gold unfortunately. I assume that, like PlayStation Plus, should your Gold run out at any time, once you resubscribe you'll regain access to your GWG titles, though

I'm pretty sure you don't need an active gold membership, once you download the game it's yours to keep. I had no problem accessing the games I downloaded with no internet connection at times over the summer. That was on the 360 though so I'm not sure about Xbox One

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

hi,

couple of quick questions so i don't get caught out like last year. Wii u update :mad::mad:

Can you play the xbox1 straight out of the box, especially halo? I have a code for forrza, how big is the download?

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

tinner777 wrote: »
    hi,

couple of quick questions so i don't get caught out like last year. Wii u update :mad::mad:

Can you play the xbox1 straight out of the box, especially halo? I have a code for forrza, how big is the download?

Thanks lads

The console needs to be updated before it can be used, so if it is a present it might be a good idea to take it out of the box and get it set up beforehand as the servers will probably be taking a hammering on Christmas Day.

Forza 5 is around a 40gb download, not sure if it is a good idea or not to have that preinstalled as well but I'm sure you can decide that yourself.

I'm pretty sure you don't need an active gold membership, once you download the game it's yours to keep. I had no problem accessing the games I downloaded with no internet connection at times over the summer. That was on the 360 though so I'm not sure about Xbox One

Internet connection doesn't matter, it's to do with the license expiration date attached to the game (it's set to expire when your Gold is set to expire). See here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-14-xbox-ones-games-with-gold-programme-requires-you-stay-subscribed

hi

Xbox one on route with 4 games from Game - good deal.
    Will get the EA pack with the year subs.
    Extra controller & charge and play batteries too.

But just saw that Plants V Zombies is online only !!
    So, I need an Xb live account so ??

I have seen links etc on deals for Live subs for the year - 1 year the best option ? Game has them for euro40 (cheaper can be got no doubt)

will carry out updates also before Xmas day and download the games.

anything else needed ? Time :) ?

thx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, to get the most out of the Xbox, I'd recommend Xbox Live. You should ask in the Xbox live thread for the best deals on live, they'd know better than me.

If your broadband is pretty slow, then perhaps bring it to a friends house with good broadband, downloading everything (Games, updates and Patches) will probably be around 100GB, so it may take ages.

hi

Xbox one on route with 4 games from Game - good deal.
    Will get the EA pack with the year subs.
    Extra controller & charge and play batteries too.

But just saw that Plants V Zombies is online only !!
    So, I need an Xb live account so ??

I have seen links etc on deals for Live subs for the year - 1 year the best option ? Game has them for euro40 (cheaper can be got no doubt)

will carry out updates also before Xmas day and download the games.

anything else needed ? Time :) ?

thx

Congrats on purchasing your xbox one and welcome :D

Were there any problems getting Game.co.uk to deliver a console to Republic of Ireland?

Yeah, PvZ is online only. You will need a Live account yes.

I just bought 12 months from cdkeys.com myself a few days ago. They will email you the code within a few minutes. I would highly recommend them.

Currently 12 months Xbox Live from them is €31.90 but a further 5% discount can be gotten from liking their facebook page to make it €30.30.

http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-360

Their fb page here: https://www.facebook.com/cdkeyscom/app_393344207416996

Just got the efibre installed so no problem with downloads at all.

No problems with Game at all. Got that black friday deal and they charged me stg3.85 to ship it to me. Got it this morning I was informed :D

Grand so - will get that live account Mon or Tuesday, and set the xbox up fully.
    Console & 4 games - e380
    EA - e24
    Live - e30
    2nd contoller and charge cables (free minecraft)-e100

So - about e530 odd for a full xbox setup with 9 games and 2 controllers.
    Happy out.
    Thanks folks.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭macmurph

Hi
    Looking to buy an XBox 360 500g for the kids - (according to my 7yo)
    No idea what I'm buying any advice please?
    Much appreciated

Decent deal going in Argos, Xbox 360 500GB with Fifa. Also I would recommended Lego Batman 2 for the kiddies.
    235.99;

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1622494.htm

Also see here for guidance on configuring the parental control;

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-360/security/xbox-live-parental-control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I would say try and pick up a 2nd hand 360 on adverts or done deal or one of them things for sale pages on Facebook as you can pick up a silm 250GB with like 15 games for next to notting as 235.99 is nuts for a 10 year old games console.

Or another idea is to future proof yourself is to buy a Xbox one as for about 300 euros you could pick up one 2nd hand on adverts and you are good to go for another few years and your 7 year old will be one of the coolest kids arounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Get them Minecraft. All the nieces and nephews love it, it's the only game they play.if he's seven there's no need for an xbox one. Get them the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

+1 for minecraft , kids love it and some big kids too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Jesus 40 gb on my 2meg Bb could take until Easter. I don't suppose theres anywhere i could trade the code for a normal copy???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

tinner777 wrote: »
    Jesus 40 gb on my 2meg Bb could take until Easter. I don't suppose theres anywhere i could trade the code for a normal copy???

You could try the swap thread on here or adverts but to be honest the best thing if possible is maybe bring the console to a friends or relatives and download the game.

Advertisement