Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked gems this generation.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Jernal wrote: »
    Advance Wars. An utterly fantastic turn based strategy that everyone should try at some point. Charming and addictive as hell. Except, maybe for Jake. Sturm's final battle with Sami and Grit as back up still gives me nightmares but that was GBA.

That isn't overlooked; there's been two of them this gen. Dark Conflict robbed the franchise of much of its charm, thanks to the po-faced characters and cliched post-apocalyptic setting. Gameplay still superb though, but GBA version is still the series' highpoint.

IMO, Chinatown Wars is better than GTA IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Kinski wrote: »

That's not saying all that much, I've had more entertaining chest-infections than what GTA IV offered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    That's not saying all that much, I've had more entertaining chest-infections than what GTA IV offered me.

Ok, much better then. Even preferable to a chest infection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dare I suggest a game as high-profile as The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword? Now, there's a few minor irritants with the game - some motion control quirks and the occasional repeated sequence, most notably. But other than that it's glorious - a bastion of smart level design, beautiful art, majestic soundtrack and the Nintendo charm. It even had a relatively moving, well developed story - simple, no doubt, and diluted over a lengthy running time, but surprisingly engaging for a company who often treat narrative as an inconvenience. But the main thread for the game around these parts shows only a handful of people who have actually played the game and want to discuss it: more discussion about reviews and trailers than the game itself. But Skyward Sword was the increasingly rare 40 hour plus experience that completely hooked me from beginning to end, in spite of some errors of judgement. Otherwise, Skyward Sword is classic Nintendo: albeit one destined to be ignored by the self-proclaimed hardcore due its presence on a dwindling, underappreciated console.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kinski wrote: »
    That isn't overlooked; there's been two of them this gen. Dark Conflict robbed the franchise of much of its charm, thanks to the po-faced characters and cliched post-apocalyptic setting. Gameplay still superb though, but GBA version is still the series' highpoint.

I just felt AW deserved more sales. I know the series has been a success on the smaller scale, but not the epic success I wish it was. I mean, the original GBAs game and DS were more finely tuned than Pokemon once you grasped the mechanics of the game there was literally hours of charm and strategy to ooze your way through. I know I'm probably being greedy here wishing for more sales. But the AW series, is, well, special to me. :o
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »

GTA : CW is actually what I would regard as one of the better GTA games. It and Vice City are my favourites. Taking out cop cars in a chase, even with a limited camera angle, was just a blast. Setting people on fire from your tyre's screeching burnout.Oh! the sadistic pleasure! And then there was the dopewars inspired addictive drug dealing. All in all a brilliant Game!

On the subject of Zelda SS, never finished it, I ran into that problem recently due to poor health being unable to finish games and stick with them attention span wise. But, I'm slowly getting back on the ball. It was an amazing experience, that said I plan on starting it over, healthier mind should make it more fun. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Dare I suggest a game as high-profile as The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword? Now, there's a few minor irritants with the game - some motion control quirks and the occasional repeated sequence, most notably. But other than that it's glorious - a bastion of smart level design, beautiful art, majestic soundtrack and the Nintendo charm. It even had a relatively moving, well developed story - simple, no doubt, and diluted over a lengthy running time, but surprisingly engaging for a company who often treat narrative as an inconvenience. But the main thread for the game around these parts shows only a handful of people who have actually played the game and want to discuss it: more discussion about reviews and trailers than the game itself. But Skyward Sword was the increasingly rare 40 hour plus experience that completely hooked me from beginning to end, in spite of some errors of judgement. Otherwise, Skyward Sword is classic Nintendo: albeit one destined to be ignored by the self-proclaimed hardcore due its presence on a dwindling, underappreciated console.

I bought Skyward Sword a few weeks ago when Argos were selling it for only €17.99. The funny thing is that only a month or so before that I had unhooked my Wii from the TV and it is no longer in use. I have a long-term plan to convert the attic and move everything up there. So when that day comes the Wii (or likely WiiU by then) will be used to play Skyward Sword.

I hope it is good but I have a real problem when it comes to finishing Zelda games. The only one I have fully completed is A Link to the Past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played Enslaved recently and found it good but unspectacular. You're not missing anything by not playing it.

I'm going to give a shout out to Deadly Premonition. It has loads of problems but ultimately it was one of my favourite experiences of this generation.

Jeanne D'Arc on PSP is a wonderful and unfairly overlooked gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

o1s1n wrote: »
    Great game! The main character is a bit annoying at the start, but once it gets going it's brilliant.

can understand why its not as popular as it should be as the first hour or two of gameplay can be very confusing. once u get into it, it really is a great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Jeanne D'Arc on PSP is a wonderful and unfairly overlooked gem.

I'll back this.

Couldn't put it down til I finished it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I need to get back to it myself.

I'd also like to add Nier to this list. The combat is decent enough but it's interesting how it changes genres so much from 3rd person combat, twin stick shooter, puzzler to even a text based adventure at one point. Also in terms of story it's pretty amazing and does something really clever with the new game plus which for once is worth playing since it totally changes how you think about the story.

Opoona on the Wii. Simple littel RPG with an excellent soundtrack and one of the most interesting worlds to explore. Well worth a look.

A boy and his blob on the Wii is a gorgeous looking update of the old game by 2D maestro's Wayforward Technologies.

In fact a lot of the Wii's library I can add here, what hasn't been mentioned already is Shiren the Wanderer, Baroque, both Endless Ocean games, Boom Blox off the top of my head and another shout out to the flawed but very memorable and emotional Fragile Dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oh:

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

My favourite in the series. Shame more people have not played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I need to get back to it myself.

I'd also like to add Nier to this list. The combat is decent enough but it's interesting how it changes genres so much from 3rd person combat, twin stick shooter, puzzler to even a text based adventure at one point. Also in terms of story it's pretty amazing and does something really clever with the new game plus which for once is worth playing since it totally changes how you think about the story.

Opoona on the Wii. Simple littel RPG with an excellent soundtrack and one of the most interesting worlds to explore. Well worth a look.

A boy and his blob on the Wii is a gorgeous looking update of the old game by 2D maestro's Wayforward Technologies.

In fact a lot of the Wii's library I can add here, what hasn't been mentioned already is Shiren the Wanderer, Baroque, both Endless Ocean games, Boom Blox off the top of my head and another shout out to the flawed but very memorable and emotional Fragile Dreams.

Nier is a game I always want to go and play. I bought it years ago, but haven't played more then few hours. It is really interesting and that book is class!

So many games, so little time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

I'm going to give a shout out to Deadly Premonition. It has loads of problems but ultimately it was one of my favourite experiences of this generation.

yes yes yes...this game is absolutely amazing. haven't played any other game like it. thinking about picking up alan wake to compare them but i don't think anyone can beat fk.....in the coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll say a lot of the Wii library as well. Overlooked simply for being on the Wii.
    Zack and Wiki, House of the dead Overkill, MadWorld. All fun games.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - An example of Ubisoft making a game that's made for the system instead of trying to port from the HD console version. Turned out really good, though I am a fan of the Sands series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Mostly all wii games for me, i just can't get my head around how awful the games look on my TV's and the whole motion control... fml. I still haven't bought skyward sword because of these 2 reasons, im ashamed to say (As a pretty big zelda fan thats just... :( ). Really looking forward to Nintendo finally catching up with HD and going back to a more standard control scheme as this generation has been their worse for me.

Hopefully i'll grab an old fat tv for it and catch up on the few great games i've probably overlooked.

Valkyria Chronicles has been mentioned but I have to say the PSP sequel is also great despite being a step back from the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Actually ordered this last week and expect it to arrive tomorrow. Couldn't resist having a look to see what was going when IGN gave it a 2 and then a 7.5 on their UK review.

IGN.com are absolute morons. There's loads wrong with Deadly Premonition but what it does well it does brilliantly. In terms of storytelling it's one of the best this generation with some brilliant writing. Also the acting is excellent, if you look at trailers you might think the acting is hammy but it's purposefully like that, it's heavily influenced by Twin Peaks which had equally hammy acting. It's bat **** insane but actually does come together in a satisfying manner by the the end.

Just stick with it past the opening which is admittedly crap since it's mostly combat which the game does really badly. It gets brilliantly insane after that. Isn't that right Zack?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Magill wrote: »
    Mostly all wii games for me, i just can't get my head around how awful the games look on my TV's and the whole motion control... fml. I still haven't bought skyward sword because of these 2 reasons, im ashamed to say (As a pretty big zelda fan thats just... :( ). Really looking forward to Nintendo finally catching up with HD and going back to a more standard control scheme as this generation has been their worse for me.

Hopefully i'll grab an old fat tv for it and catch up on the few great games i've probably overlooked.

SD content looks awful on most modern LCD's. There are some plasma models that deal with SD content really well though so keep that in mind when buying your next one.

I specifically bought my parents TV because when they said they wanted a "new tv with the HD and stuff!" :p. I knew 95% of the content would be SD so I got them a Panny that makes 480p look lovely. It makes a big difference. When I compare Mario galaxy or Zelda on that TV to the old one.......it's like night and day.

The Wii-U will run in 1080p so it won't be a big deal in the future but most people don't have HD boxes for their normal tv watching so getting a TV that can do both is still a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It might be a little early for this thread considering the current generation of consoles are going strong but we can all agree they are nearing the end. Anyway, the forum has been a little slow recently as discussed in another thread so lets try to get some discussion going here.

What games have you played during this generation of consoles that you loved but seemed to be ignored by most people?

My vote goes to Blur. This was a game that really took me by surprise. I hadn't really seen any coverage of it while it was in development. But I saw a trailer for it and the mix of frantic car combat, similar to Mario Kart combined with HD graphics was hard to resist. As soon as I brought it home it stayed in the PS3 for three solid getting lots of local and online multiplayer. It had been quite some time since I'd found a game that I enjoyed playing online so much. Blur has that instant pick up and play quality that all good arcade racers should have. The cars handle easily and the weapons are all instantly familiar as they all correspond to weapons from Mario Kart. Three weeks might seem like a short time give a game but as they say the light that shines twice as bright, burns twice as fast. In this case it grew a little tired after a while but for those few weeks it was an absolute blast.

It is a real shame that it failed to sell well. After a few weeks the online community had noticeably shrunk. It was great while it lasted.

still a decent online community on Blur on the 360, its small but devoted, always at least over 100 people playing, never struggle to find a match.

despite what Kirby says, Blur is a great game, its Mario Kart with real cars on Xbox Live and nothing has got close since. Should have sold so much better than it did.

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    still a decent online community on Blur on the 360, its small but devoted, always at least over 100 people playing, never struggle to find a match.

despite what Kirby says, Blur is a great game, its Mario Kart with real cars on Xbox Live and nothing has got close since. Should have sold so much better than it did.

We've had this discussion before corcaigh. :p

You can't compare a game where you don't have to corner to mario kart. Mario kart may have had the dark days of snaking but they fixed that for the wii version and atleast if you hit a wall you slowed down.

Check out this world record run of this track.

He smashes into over a dozen walls.....because its faster than breaking. It's just broken. Online was filled with people just accelerating into walls.

Kirby wrote: »
    We've had this discussion before corcaigh. :p

You can't compare a game where you don't have to corner to mario kart. Mario kart may have had the dark days of snaking but they fixed that for the wii version and atleast if you hit a wall you slowed down.

i understand your criticisms, it's still an overlooked gem of a game.

it also interacts with Xbox Live so well, things like friend challenges, stats from your last online session give it extra appeal.

Mario kart actually had an active online community but it and Smash were the ONLY games played consistently online. And then you had to deal with friend codes.

I suppose the online aspect of Blur would make it rather appealing, xbox live being far superior. I've seen friend scores be a great incentive too. Trials HD being a particular vice of yours if memory servers. :)

The annoying sound effects and crappy jumping camera would drive me insane in Blur.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I would have definitely overlooked Bastion, if it were not for the Humble Bundle. Really good art style, cool voiceover guy and a simple, but nice story behind it. Gameplay is simple enough, but there are some challenges in it :)

****, just had a big long reply typed out and by accident, deleted it all! so in short, that blur video, not as bad as you described to me(he drifts a lot and boosts out of trouble, you never nitroed after hitting a wall or getting hit by a shell in Mario Kart?). But very off topic anyway so agree to disagree, yada yada!

Another shout goes to Shadows of the Damned and Mirror's Edge, neither game is perfect but both games try something different and thats why they are 2 of my favourite games in this generation, any gamer on PS3 or 360 should seek these out, mirror's edge in particular is insanely inexpensive, a great game easily found for less than 5 euro, if you don't like it, throw it at someone you don't like, value for money either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Age Of Wonders - I'm not normally into turn based strategy games at all but for some reason I always loved playing this game.

Split / Second - Really deserved a sequel to a fun and different game. Cars felt like you were driving tanks made out of lead, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Split / Second - Really deserved a sequel to a fun and different game. Cars felt like you were driving tanks made out of lead, though.

Split / Second was good but it came out at the same time as both Blur and ModNation Racers on the PS3. Just too many racers at the same time for one of them to really catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Split / Second was good but it came out at the same time as both Blur and ModNation Racers on the PS3. Just too many racers at the same time for one of them to really catch on.
    That statement is a load of bollocks, I'm sorry.

Just face the fact that all 3 were good (not great) and poorly marketed (which is what REALLY killed them).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

No More Heroes
    No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

These two are overlooked (Like a lot of Suda51 games) The characters, the gameplay, the dialogue. Everything's enjoyable (Well except for some of the job minigames in NMH1)

Advertisement