Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Ruth Scott on Nova - false giggle in every link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Shay Byrne on Radio 1 Rising Time bringing in Marty Whelan for a chat on his way to Lyric FM.
    Also trying to get banter out of the business and sports presenters from 5.30 am to 7am, when they clearly don't want to take part.

Fair play to newsreader Brian Jennings for not getting involved there.

And such 'banter' it be. O.O

Yeah, rarely has bonhomie seemed more false. Chortling eejit that seems to thing the punters are lapping it all up, while they're throwing things at the radio, (If they can find the energy at that hour, but not the channel button.)

Also the lady who does the movie reviews on newstalk on fridays.

She talks through her nose and very monotonous voice. Very poor speaker.

What's worse, she's no Mark Kermode Bear when it comes to the actual 'reviews', either. Generally we learn whether she liked it or not, and maybe some biz gossip. Her 'holiday relief', the Aussie wan, was waaaaay better.

The 'booze' people are generally much more entertaining. Whether we're laughing with them, or at them, on a case-by-case basis.

..not to mention "Sir" Tom Jones and "Dame" Shirley Bassey.

TBF those ones are actual formal titles. Though as we're a Republic, I feel there should be a motion in the Dáil as to whether they should be used, from one individual to the next. Or a ministerial order, at the very least, like when a road gets renumbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I swear the playlist on some station is on repeat every Sunday around 5 o clock. I sh*t you not teenage dirtbag is played around that time for the last 7 years.
    Think it's today FM.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Don't forget "Legend" to basically anyone that speaks to him. I've noticed he's turning into another Gerry Ryan:

Gerry Ryan casts a long shadow over chat-heavy radio fluff here. The meandering personal trivia is why we get these godawful 'monologues' at the start of Tubs, Darcy, and who knows who else. They're all floundering around trying to emulate him.

I was never much of a GR fan, but I recognise he did that sort of malarky a lot better than his wannabes. Like, relegated-three-tiers better. Just shut up and get the guests on, or whatever the actual first item is. Or do an actual monologue, with actual scripts and actual jokes, or something. Not banging on about your cheese toastie. Didn't even have any ham! You're hammy enough already Tubridy, don't make me come over there and save the licence-payer a small fortune.

razorblunt wrote: »
    "s" being very soft and lispy, particularly prevalent in younger presenters, mostly female, but not always.

A much later post in this thread about a (male in that case) presenter with a rhoticism reminded me of this -- it seems to be a thing with roadwatch people, for some reason, they sound decidedly twee and simpering.

Maybe it's an editorial decision. Harrassed motorists are borderline for going over the edge to start with, so get someone to do the AA bulletins with non-threatening consonants?

honeybear wrote: »
    I’m terrible for interrupting myself but I’m not on radio. It’s crept into RTE Radio 1. Sarah McInerney was dreadful interviewing Dara O’Brien from FF today. Guy from Late Debate, Cormac O Hara is atrocious.
    Now the Galway Mafia on Drivetime, of course!

He's a gaeilgeoir, so you'll be needing a half-dozen more vowels for himself's surname.

Sean Rocks is likely just doing it over-eagerly, which is indeed something he should mind. But with political interviews, it's a legit part of the craft. "I'd just first like to say--" "permissiontotreatthewitnessashostile -- JUST ANSWER THE BLOODY QUESTION WILLYA!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

A trait I’ve notice towards all media now.

Hosts (generally peers in RTE or Irish Celebs) rolling around with laughter for stuff that genuinely isn’t funny. Laughing excessively and exuberantly at small quips or antidotes.

“THAT’S ABSOLUTELY GAS!!!!!”

Doireann Garrihy is most guilty of this and benefits most from these actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 angiebaby66

Cutesy coy Sinead Mooney on Radio 1 Playback on Saturday morning - getting more and more irritating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Yes! She drives me feckin' mad! She's always performing like she's auditioning for some 3rd rate am-dram production. Where in God's name did RTE find this hyper-luvvie??

Sinead Mooneys full-time job in RTE is to listen to Radio 1 all week. It's a very expensive outdated way to do a "best of" show in this era of podcasts and players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

at last someone has commented about this presenter !!

tries to be smart and talks down to the listener.

bring back marian richardson....I thought ronan kelly was marian's replacement (but he only presented for a few weeks??)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kilkennyguy5

Doireann Garrihy awful attempts at impressions

Shane Coleman and Ciara Kelly for just being themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Darcy showing up for work each day...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

He had Craig David on yesterday, and they way he tries to speak all "down with the kids" it's so annoying.

He's a forty year old man from Galway, not some urban ghetto like he thinks. Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Does anybody here listen the odd time to RTE Radio1 of a Saturday evening? What is surely the most annoying radio programme ever comes on about 8, three twittering tits giggling at their own wit as Gaeilge. It's like listening to a few women having a gas and a bitch at the local coffee shop or whilst waiting to collect their kids in their SUVs. I don't mind a bit of Irish and there used to be a programme here called An Scath or something like that which you could listen to. But after a couple of minutes of this utterly false crap, I have to reach for the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Ray D’Arcy is from Kildare, and he is a lot nearer to 60 than he is to 40! 😂

I think there is another presenter with the same surname, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I did wonder if that first post by Spitfire would cause confusion, and both Darcys are on at the same time! The problem is that a lot of RTE Radio 1 listeners would not know the names of the music presenters on Today FM (and probably never heard of Fergal Darcy!) so think the only Darcy is Ray Darcy! It is also possible that some regular Today FM listeners have forgotten about Ray Darcy!

P.S. Added Hilda's post afterwards - should come after EmmetSpiceland - just can't figure out how to move it!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

"Beo ar Éigean" it's called. I've tried to like it, I really have. But I just don't like listening to people laughing and talking over each other - regardless of the language (I feel the same way about the "Pomcast" knitting podcast and most sports interviews for the same reason).

"Splanc" on Newstalk is a much better program for your hit of an Gaeilge - it's usually on Friday evenings and available as a podcast. Good mix of topics and guests, and not the aimless giggles of BaÉ ar RTÉ .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Claire Byrne annoyingly over pronouncing her T's at the end of a word. Isn't thaT righT Claire. Only kicked in about 2 months ago for some strange reason.

Cormac O hEadhra. Too many annoying traits to list. He has destroyed Drivetime. Great for NewsTalk though.

This is applicable to rte radio talkshow presenters ( news and Claire Byrne excused):

In response to the guest stating some negative fact that the presenter and audience are not too well up on, the presenter replies in a faux sage tone "Well isn't that terrible!" / "really really bad guy!"

Reminds me of when I had coffee with a few friends who were 'a few sandwiches short of a picnic' back in the day and used to reciprocate in the same dumb fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Can't stand Irish radio it just makes me angry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Jennifer Zamperelli's obession with sex/shifting/riding

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

In general, most presenters thinking that their opinion on a matter is the only valid one, particularly on controversial topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Culchie shtick a huge turn-off for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I appreciate what she’s trying to do in terms of making people more comfortable talking about sex but I’ll never forget when I was in the hospital for an appointment and 2FM was on in the waiting room. Jennifer Z started talking about anal sex and a few people in the room were looking up like “can you believe this?” The secretary jumped up to change the station and they probably never put 2FM on again

Advertisement