Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

dvpower wrote: »
    Article 43 makes no mention of property tax.
    It does mention social justice though.
    Is it social justice that homeowners are discriminated against while home renters get off scot free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Is it social justice that homeowners are discriminated against while home renters get off scot free?
    If the anti charge people think that this charge/tax is unconstitutional on this basis, they should take a case.
    They won't, because they are not that stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yes. Beacuase the landlord can pass on the cost of the charge to the tenant. All €8 a month of it.

If the anti charge people think that this charge/tax is unconstitutional on this basis, they should take a case.

More deflection.
    Do you find it hard to answer questions directly.
    You'd make a great politician.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

alastair wrote: »
    Read the thread. I don't need to repeat myself.

Again,I will ask you......

Please tell me again and tell everyone here today (who didnt see your post last night).

Please do give me and everyone else here a full explanation why you did not pay the poll tax in England??

Thanks

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »
    Yes. Beacuase the landlord can pass on the cost of the charge to the tenant. All €8 a month of it.
    What about all €80 a month next year? or whatever amount they choose.
    Will you be so dismissive then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,598 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jesus not you too !!! Do you think it will be 8 euro a month in a year or two ?

More deflection.
    Do you find it hard to answer questions directly.
    Deflection? The premise of your arguement is ludicrous. Its hard to take seriously.
    You'd make a great politician.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I see that James (I need tax breaks to help upkeep my 13 bedroom mansion) Reilly has come out in defence of his esteemed colleague. We're all in this together so we are.. Pay your way and don't be so unpatriotic, ya hear?

In another case of double standards, he has also stated that Denis O'Brien be allowed due process, in other words innocent until proven guilty. It makes me laugh when I hear this B sh ite, certain government officials have been attacking fianna fail over their backing of Bertie, saying that they all knew he was a liar, but never came out and knocked him, I think Fianna fails excuse at the time was in regards to due process, due process has now been served and bertie was found to be lying. end of.

If the Phil Hogan story is not a hoax, then he needs to f kcu right off, because I wont pay the household charge because I am not getting the service I was promised either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You can pay it monthly now? News to me.. if people had of been made aware of that earlier then more households would have registered.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

That wasn't a compliment!

And you still didn't answer my question.

Is it social justice that homeowners pay for local services and home renters don't?

I suspected as much, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Roverek

You right, stupid are those who paid.

Which particular question was that now?

You can pay it monthly now? News to me.. if people had of been made aware of that earlier then more households would have registered.
    Yes, but they wanted their money before summer holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Heard this on the radio this morning.
    A figure of 0.035% per €100,000 is being leaked as the charge for next year.
    So if you have a house worth €300,000 the tax next year will be €1,050 per year plus water charges, plus refuse collection.

I figured they would come up with something like this. The big question is what is the value of your house? I don't think that method will work. Because although you might value your house at €300,000 you might only get half of that. Banks are not lending and this is driving the value of property down.

They should be taking size of house, size and location of plot, proximity to services and transport etc into account. Value of house is too subjective.

No they shouldn't. Who's side are you on?

Which particular question was that now?

phil1nj wrote: »
    Post #7366 from the 1st half of this thread:

alastair: I'll say pay your damn taxes - there's the actual principle.

Post #7708:

And as the poll tax. I was there and refused to pay

Definition of HYPOCRITE

: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
    : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

There, I thought I would remind the law abiding Alistar about his previous leanings, not so much of a hypocrite in my opinion, more of a Fine Gael Flunkie, pedaling lies on Boards .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Is it social justice that homeowners pay for local services and home renters don't?

Home renters do. They just don't pay a tax that isn't applicable to them - a home owner tax.

Car owner = motor tax
    No car ownership = no motor tax
    Home owner = property tax
    No home ownership = no property tax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Home renters do. They just don't pay a tax that isn't applicable to them - a home owner tax.

Car owner = motor tax

Renters that I know of, are expected to pay for their services.
    It might not be a 'tax' but its still a bill - and its still expected to be paid.

• Advertisement

Alastair............Please tell me again and tell everyone here who didnt see your post last night.

Please do give me and everyone else here a full explanation why you did not pay the poll tax in England.

Thanks

Car owner = motor tax

That is bull s hit e Alistar the hypocrite, you can live without a car, you cannot live without a home, you either need to rent or buy or are you advocating squatting ?

Car owner = motor tax

I thought it was a 'household charge', now it's a 'home owner tax'
    Why don't they rename it then and call it what it is.
    A tax that discriminates against homeowners.

There are none so blind as those that cannot see.

That is bull s hit e Alistar the hypocrite, you can live without a car, you cannot live without a home, you either need to rent or buy or are you advocating squatting ?

He never paid his poll tax over in the uk though.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »
    he never paid his poll tax though.:rolleyes:

I will tell you why he said he wouldnt, he said it was an unfair tax.

paddy147 wrote: »
    he never paid his poll tax though.:rolleyes:

It looks like the fine gaelers, Phil Hogan, Alistar, dont practice what they preach :)

Do as I say, not as I do :cool:

robbie7730 wrote: »

Oh,I see.........................:rolleyes:

robbie7730 wrote: »

But it was the law, and he has been preaching to us on this forum on why WE cannot break the law, yet HE broke the law and refused to pay a tax to the government of the time.

Car owner = motor tax
    Lies lies lies.
    motor tax depends on the size of engine =fair
    property tax = 100euro. If your house is worth 1000000e or over you pay 100e if it is worth 100000euro you pay a 100euro :-). PAY FOR ME you love it!

• Advertisement

Alastair's reply to post 7708 in part 1

Originally Posted by porsche boy
    Well, you missed that point didn't you.
    If the national movement that's in action dont manage to completely overturn this then you will only have to pay that bit extra if you decide to pay at all. Remember a national movement similar to this overturned the water rates in the mid ninties and a movement like this managed to back Maggie Tatcher into withdrawal of Poll Tax in the UK.
    I'm missing no point. Those who delay payment will only end up paying an extra 50% into the coffers. Nice windfall for the govt. Property taxes are happening - don't delude yourself otherwise.

And as the poll tax. I was there and refused to pay. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen - This is no poll tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement