Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for reliability and cheapness to run so any suggestions ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Id be curious as to what you spent the 500 on.
    2-3 sets of tyres, 2-3 chains, 2 sets of brake pads, 2 sets of BB bearings, a replacement tube once, lubricants, small bits and bobs. Service parts and wear and tear in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Seweryn wrote: »
    2-3 sets of tyres, 2-3 chains, 2 sets of brake pads, 2 sets of BB bearings, a replacement tube once, lubricants, small bits and bobs. Service parts and wear and tear in general.

well you just destroyed the notion that cycling is cheap. The oil companies will have you in their prayers :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

well you just destroyed the notion that cycling is cheap. The oil companies will have you in their prayers :D;)
    :pac:

Well, it is not as bad... If you do the same annual mileage in an economical car (say 45-50mpg), it will still cost you a lot more, i.e. the cost of fuel alone comes to around €1,500. Then you have to add the cost of tax, insurance, service, NCT, parking, tolls, depreciation (if applicable), etc.
    This is only talking about the financial side of things :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Seweryn wrote: »
    :pac:

Well, it is not as bad... If you do the same annual mileage in an economical car (say 45-50mpg), it will still cost you a lot more

That kind of mileage also increases the chances of the bicycle falling under the wheels of a truck regardless of which party was at fault and in a bicycle theres no protection. A proper analysis of potential costs should factor in the cost of this happening too. Loss of earnings, cost of recovery, personal cost etc.

.................. A proper analysis of potential costs should factor in the cost of this happening too. Loss of earnings, cost of recovery, personal cost etc.

Are you for real?
    If so you should factor in the financial side of the potential health benefits all the exercise offers, if you were intent on doing a proper analysis of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

... Unless you're in the Stephen Roche league , covering 10k km must be an awful lot slower than driving a small car. I can see the health benefits and financial savings (on cheaper bikes than yours) but it sounds very time consuming. I used to exercise a lot but I found I get bored. I need to read etc....

Depends on the route. I'm not anyway fit, and my 14k commute across town is about the same in the car as the bike. Assuming I get a clear run in the car on average the car might be about 10 mins faster. Sometimes slower if heavy traffic. I decided to do it exactly because it takes the time I usually waste sitting in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

... A proper analysis of potential costs should factor in the cost of this happening too. Loss of earnings, cost of recovery, personal cost etc.

Go do that. cycling vs inactivity. Theres no contest.

Advertisement