Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Your minor hurlers... good/bad/indifferent? How would they compare to other years?

Always hard to tell with Galway, but would you fancy your chances of beating us? Decent win against Laois, 9 points... okay, Kilkenny beat them by more, but how was the performance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Your minor hurlers... good/bad/indifferent? How would they compare to other years?

Always hard to tell with Galway, but would you fancy your chances of beating us? Decent win against Laois, 9 points... okay, Kilkenny beat them by more, but how was the performance?

To be honest I really can't be accurate in that I have only seen them play against Laois. I know it was their first game but I didn't know much about them before the game. Laois seemed up for it where as Galway never really seemed to go past first gear. When it was close going in to maybe the final third Galway just seemed to up the gear and gradually pulled away with it without ever reaching full throttle. That's my view on it anyway. I could be completely wrong but that's the way I seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fireball07 wrote: »

Very hard to tell. You never really know how good or bad they are until the semi-final at least. They usually win the quarter-final fairly handily. Don't usually see very many poor Galway minor teams but obviously some are better than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know Kenny going is not breaking news but HS said that it was rumoured that Cunningham handed in a resignation after the Dublin match. Anybody know how true it is?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Galway/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198461

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I know Kenny going is not breaking news but HS said that it was rumoured that Cunningham handed in a resignation after the Dublin match. Anybody know how true it is?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Galway/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=198461

Real pity if true and it would make him resigning now nearly an inevitability. It's unfortunate things went so pear-shaped this year. AC is still a fine manager and an even finer man, were it not his work with Brigids I can assure you they wouldn't have been climbing the Hogan Stand on Paddy's Day. I'd still like to see him have a shot managing our senior footballers if he was interested in the job.

The rot in Galway hurling clearly extends far beyond one manager or even one panel. Ye should have been able to capitalise on a weakened championship this year after last year but it just didn't happen.

It's an imperfect comparison but look at how unified and focused Mayo were after last year's AI final loss, it helped drive them to a new level whereas in Galway a combination of politics and hangover killed any momentum built up last year. It's night and day.

I hope Galway can get it right because whatever about the talent being there to win an AI, the talent is at least there to be better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Agreed!
    It's looking like NUIG are finding it hard to get 15 players for the match vs Corofin. An SOS has been sent out via the Facebook page.

It really is ridiculous they are in the championship at all. They were unlucky one year in getting to the semi where Killererin won it in PJ time and went on to overall success but they haven't looked too bothered most years or can't get their best players together. If they are going to be in the championship they should be subject to relegation to intermediate like all other sides. A Corofin side with a point to prove and with strong competition for places will obliterate them.

Here we are again discussing the management situation in Galway while the big prizes are being played for with Galway once again having a watching brief. To make it even more difficult to swallow this years top prize is being played out by the teams who like Galway would have been regarded among the also-rans.

Really while management have to take a certain amount of blame for how 2013 went, it can't continue to be the management's fault every year. Having said that, I don't think Kenny is any loss to the Galway setup. Fair play to him for his efforts the last couple of years but the mindless tactics we witnessed against Clare (in particular in the 1st half) and at critical junctures throughout the past two years had his fingerprints all over it.

I don't really want to see another management change but the performances this year have been so flat, gutless and the gameplan so incoherent that you'd wonder whether the present management team could possibly turn things around in 2014.

Micheal Donoghue is being touted but he could do with building a bit more experience on the sideline before going into the minefield of the Galway job.

Really its up to the players to stand up and be counted. All the supporters ask is for the players selected to do themselves and the county justice and that hasn't happened often enough in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Syferus wrote: »
    Real pity if true and it would make him resigning now nearly an inevitability. It's unfortunate things went so pear-shaped this year. AC is still a fine manager and an even finer man, were it not his work with Brigids I can assure you they wouldn't have been climbing the Hogan Stand on Paddy's Day. I'd still like to see him have a shot managing our senior footballers if he was interested in the job.

The rot in Galway hurling clearly extends far beyond one manager or even one panel. Ye should have been able to capitalise on a weakened championship this year after last year but it just didn't happen.

It's an imperfect comparison but look at how unified and focused Mayo were after last year's AI final loss, it helped drive them to a new level whereas in Galway a combination of politics and hangover killed any momentum built up last year. It's night and day.

I hope Galway can get it right because whatever about the talent being there to win an AI, the talent is at least there to be better than this.
    I agree with you and I hope he stays put. The problem in Galway hurling is higher up the chain, as has been said here already.
    What more can we do or say its not easy to turn our backs (my back) on a sport I love because my team refuse to be a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

O.A.P wrote: »
    I agree with you and I hope he stays put. The problem in Galway hurling is higher up the chain, as has been said here already.
    What more can we do or say its not easy to turn our backs (my back) on a sport I love because my team refuse to be a team.

Maybe, but who 'higher up the chain' plays or is directly involved with the team? I think problems, perceived or otherwise, with Galway hurling officials really are overstated. The board, for as little as I know of them, seem ok, Joe Byrne in particular appears to be a progressive sort. The championship structure, despite the inflated number of senior clubs (which is the fault of the clubs themselves), is very competitive. For years, fans have been screeching about not holding up the local championship for the national one a-la Cork and KK. When the board refuses to hold up the championship in spite of management wishes they seem to get castigated again.

Of course, management too often appears to be changed on a whim, but the performance and almost sheer ineptness of them these year makes their tenure very difficult to persist with.

MfMan wrote: »
    Maybe, but who 'higher up the chain' plays or is directly involved with the team? I think problems, perceived or otherwise, with Galway hurling officials really are overstated. The board, for as little as I know of them, seem ok, Joe Byrne in particular appears to be a progressive sort. The championship structure, despite the inflated number of senior clubs (which is the fault of the clubs themselves), is very competitive. For years, fans have been screeching about not holding up the local championship for the national one a-la Cork and KK. When the board refuses to hold up the championship in spite of management wishes they seem to get castigated again.

Of course, management too often appears to be changed on a whim, but the performance and almost sheer ineptness of them these year makes their tenure very difficult to persist with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

So it sounds like AC is staying on...

Rumours floating around that Dinny Cahill is the favorite to get involved.

One wonders if Cunningham and Helebert can turn this ship around after the farce that was 2013. I see the Waterford panel had a meeting Michael Ryan and had a voted to get rid of him. Harsh but at least they are showing leadership.

Did our lads get a chance to air their views I wonder?

Moral must be at an all time low within the squad with all the recent squabbling on and off the pitch.

AC needs to lay down a few laws methinks. Questions is... Is he too close to the players to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Toplink wrote: »
    So it sounds like AC is staying on...

Rumours floating around that Dinny Cahill is the favorite to get involved.

One wonders if Cunningham and Helebert can turn this ship around after the farce that was 2013. I see the Waterford panel had a meeting Michael Ryan and had a voted to get rid of him. Harsh but at least they are showing leadership.

Did our lads get a chance to air their views I wonder?

Moral must be at an all time low within the squad with all the recent squabbling on and off the pitch.

AC needs to lay down a few laws methinks. Questions is... Is he too close to the players to do this?

After the sorts of reports of their behaviour this season I doubt they deserve the opportunity. If you're going to give AC it in the neck the players deserve just as much of a bollicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Is it true the St Thomas' lads drove down to Semple instead of taking the team bus?

Syferus wrote: »
    After the sorts of reports of their behaviour this season I doubt they deserve the opportunity. If you're going to give AC it in the neck the players deserve just as much of a bollicking.

Dont worry, I know there is plenty blame on both sides here. Its shambolic.

Yes I heard about the separate cars to thurles too. Also heard there was an altercation on a night out during race week between 2 of our esteemed panel.

Can AC curb this bull****? IS he too close to the Thomases lads? Are the Portumna equal culprits in this.

Might be time to make a few big calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Is it true the St Thomas' lads drove down to Semple instead of taking the team bus?

If that is true, then they should have been told to stay at home. I have no affinity to any hurling team. But that kind of carry on just isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Dont worry, I know there is plenty blame on both sides here. Its shambolic.

Yes I heard about the separate cars to thurles too. Also heard there was an altercation on a night out during race week between 2 of our esteemed panel.

Can AC curb this bull****? IS he too close to the Thomases lads? Are the Portumna equal culprits in this.

Might be time to make a few big calls.
    Drop the lot of them if that's the case. Get in 15 lads that are willing to pull together and not bitch and moan amongst themselves. It clearly worked for the footballers, who did not have the 15 best available footballers in the county against Cork, but seriously pulled together. Natural talent will only get you so far if you're a lazy s**t with no pride in the jersey who's more worried about a petty club dispute. Drop them all.

Have to say I'm sick to my teeth of our hurlers and travelling the country seeing the same gutless exits.

In fairness to our footballers bar the Mayo game the losses have generally been 1-3 points(mainly 1 point) while the hurlers have been beaten out the gate far too many times in recent memory.

Won't be happy to hear Cunningham stays on and that's not to do with performances this year but the mear fact that he's presided over a situation where infighting has developed.

If both stories are true in relation to St.Thomas's(and the 7s is) players it shows he continues to let them away with murder since they're his home club.
    No manager should preside over our hurlers if the petty squabbles of club hurling are allowed to continue and develop within the squad.

First port of call next season should be to hold open trials for an lads playing senior or intermediate hurling.
    Last years squad not above turning up. Anyone who doesn't show, let them head off and take any of the infighters with them.
    If they don't want to hurl for their county then they can head off and dream about playing in an AI club final with 7k and where the squads are forgotten within a year outside of their small parish.
    Real legends are created in county hurling(you only have to head around the county to see the footballers of 1998 hanging with pride on many walls).
    The only player I could say who's shown pride in wearing the jersey over the past few years has been Damien Hayes. There are some winners in the squad(i.e they want to win, so give 100% no matter what jersey they wear) but he's the only player you could say seems to have pride in his county.

The second change needs to be our attacking structure, if we continue to use some hybrid rotating system, then we'll continue to see balls pucked down the wings into the corners to free opposition defenders. We've given so many ball away due to poor structure since the LF2012 it beggers belief that no effort was made to change this obvious flaw.

And lastly and this can't be overlooked as a moot point.... CANNING ON FREE'S.
    Joe's free taking since the drawn AI last year has been to put it bluntly pathetic.
    He went from a machine who would rarely miss, the best in the country to probably the worst free taker from any of the LMcC teams.
    He missed a gimie in the AI drawn game with 3 minutes to go that could have seen us going for a winner instead of a draw.
    He missed one or two against Dublin including the Hawk Eye reversal.
    And he missed about 5 against Clare when on past form I'd have taken him off after his second miss.
    We got Clare back to 3 points, all those missed free's and we could have been level or ahead and who knows where we'd be going this weekend.
    It's easy to overlook them and say we lost by 6, but it's easier for the opposition to rise up when your free taker is missing simple shots and letting ye back on the attack.

Someone on the line should have had the balls to take the free's off him after his second miss, we let him play himself out of confidence. His reputation certainly exceeded him in the persistence to let him take the frees.
    We can't seem to get C.Cooney up to speed and maybe this would be a great way, he's equally as good a free taker(well from Cannings current level he's 10 times better)

On another note it seems the Galway Hurling Forum has been pulled, been down for about two weeks now.

No doubt there was loads of personal insults to players and management thrown out that brought the site into legal problems.

The fact the site was unmoderated only compounded matters, was actually close to applying for the thing myself given the amount of trolling and fighting that was going on the past while.

Shame to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

On another note it seems the Galway Hurling Forum has been pulled, been down for about two weeks now.

No doubt there was loads of personal insults to players and management thrown out that brought the site into legal problems.

The fact the site was unmoderated only compounded matters, was actually close to applying for the thing myself given the amount of trolling and fighting that was going on the past while.

Shame to see.
    That website was a joke, little to no moderation with plenty of personal insults stretching back a while now, it was only a matter of time before it was taken down.

Great first post though, agree with everything. A big change is needed in Galway hurling before any progress is to made. I was a big fan of AC but his Thomas' bias was his Achilles heel, it has resulted in the depressing state inter-county hurling is now in. He has to go, no questions or doubts about it. It's a shame, because I think he is a very good manager, he'll do well at other counties, no doubt about it, in either code. There will be teams lining up for him when he leaves the Galway position.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    He has to go, no questions or doubts about it. It's a shame, because I think he is a very good manager, he'll do well at other counties, no doubt about it, in either code.

Do you really think a good manager would have allowed James Skehill to play the AI final replay last year?

Do you really think a good manager would have allowed his lieutenants to step out of line?

Would a good manager allow his home club to cloud his vision for the county team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Galway hurling will never be more than a club match away from an absolute ****storm.

Just on the Galway Hurling forum it was like a slow dog chasing its own tail by the end. The same 5 thickos getting in arguments. Makes Hoganstand look like Boards in comparison.

Do you really think a good manager would have allowed James Skehill to play the AI final replay last year?

Do you really think a good manager would have allowed his lieutenants to step out of line?

Would a good manager allow his home club to cloud his vision for the county team?
    Individual mistakes does not make a poor manager, overall his managing career has been quite successful, albeit in football predominantly.

The third point is the basis for him being a poor manager for Galway, but he's already a proven manager. Leading Garrycastle to a near AI club win was a phenomenol achievements, as were most of his achievements last year with Galway. I think we were the first team to annihilate that Kilkenny team, and winning Leinster was no mean feat.

He'll have success elsewhere.

THFC wrote: »
    Individual mistakes does not make a poor manager, overall his managing career has been quite successful, albeit in football predominantly.

The third point is the basis for him being a poor manager for Galway, but he's already a proven manager. Leading Garrycastle to a near AI club win was a phenomenol achievements, as were most of his achievements last year with Galway. I think we were the first team to annihilate that Kilkenny team, and winning Leinster was no mean feat.

He'll have success elsewhere.

You do make a good argument in fairness. Anyway along with managerial blame, it sounds like some of our players have focus issues.

Even if I was good enough and I'm not I know I would never have the commitment for county hurling. I dont understand how you can put in 20 - 30 hours a week for months on end and let it all go to waste?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of club rivalry, Ballyhale Shamrocks and O'Loughlin Gaels will tell you that, De la Salle have their rivals and Sarsfields theirs, the list goes on. There is club rivalry in every county.

This fact makes the whole situation in Galway hurling quite embarrassing really, to put it simply, it's immature. How a group of grown men can't put their club differences aside to represent their county (something every clubman should dream of) is beyond me. Forgive me for bringing soccer in to this but there are just as big of rivalries (if not bigger) between the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool, then when the likes of Gerrard and Lampard line up alongside each other in an England shirt they'd die for one another on that pitch. Why am I using this as an example actually? Michael Fennelly and Henry Shefflin for example, they play for two different clubs but would you think it (the Galway players notion) by the way they play for one another with Kilkenny?

Something else that puzzles me, if a player is happy to give life and limb for his club, but not for his county due to playing with rival players, then why give up half of his life to play county. Think about it, playing inter county hurling involves sacrifice with social life, family life and of course work/careers. Why sacrifice all this if you can't even temporarily sacrifice and put aside club rivalry to throw on the maroon and white as one?

I have been going to Galway games for as long as I can remember and will continue to do so. But, when it's something as simple and as immature as this that's one of the main problems it's utterly disheartening and disappointing. There are supporters out there more passionate than some if the players have shown.

Anyway, rant over and I hope things change soon or Galway hurling will hit a new low, if it hasn't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Galway hurling will never be more than a club match away from an absolute ****storm.

Just on the Galway Hurling forum it was like a slow dog chasing its own tail by the end. The same 5 thickos getting in arguments. Makes Hoganstand look like Boards in comparison.

Is the Galway proboards site back? I get a "maintenance mode" screen page each time I attempt to view it for the last 10 days. Agree with you about the same people and their socks posting/baiting each other, but a good row is very entertaining sometimes....

• Advertisement

audman wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with a bit of club rivalry, Ballyhale Shamrocks and O'Loughlin Gaels will tell you that, De la Salle have their rivals and Sarsfields theirs, the list goes on. There is club rivalry in every county.

There are generally rivalries in every county and sport, but most are bourne out of success and only exist between the ''big two'' or whatever you have in said situation.
    There's a lot more bad blood in Galway hurling between multiple clubs based on location, success, ill tempered games in the past etc.

I guess the big difference in Galway to other counties as well is the success rate after winning the county title, winning Galway gets you to within two games of an AI while for other clubs its an after thought to winning a county title. Maybe the added bonus leads to a lot of overly physical play and all that spawns off it.

That said, you'd imagine with such a tough county championship at the very least we should be able to get 15 lads who'll go through walls to win the ball... infact we get the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Why am I using this as an example actually? Michael Fennelly and Henry Shefflin for example, they play for two different clubs but would you think it (the Galway players notion) by the way they play for one another with Kilkenny?

Fennelly & Shefflin both play for Ballyhale. I see enough club games in Kilkenny to know the county lads don't spare each other in games or in training either. One lad told me that Dinny Cahill would be a nice manager for Galway. I said we've had too many nice managers.

Of course there are rivalries in every county between clubs. The difference appears to be that management in Galway allow it to seep into the county panel.

Do you think Cody, Donal O'Grady or even Davey Fitz would allow this **** to carry on? Would they hell... Panels need to air this stuff and get it on the table. If someone isn't buying in then a big call needs to be made.

Alot of players have a childish stubborn streak in them and will play up if they are allowed to display it but if they know that they will be cast aside if they don't buy into the county set up then they wouldnt be long falling in.

Remember the way Cody dealt with Charlie Carter. No-one is bigger than the team.

nootroc wrote: »
    Why am I using this as an example actually? Michael Fennelly and Henry Shefflin for example, they play for two different clubs but would you think it (the Galway players notion) by the way they play for one another with Kilkenny?

Fennelly & Shefflin both play for Ballyhale. I see enough club games in Kilkenny to know the county lads don't spare each other in games or in training either. One lad told me that Dinny Cahill would be a nice manager for Galway. I said we've had too many nice managers.

Sorry, just said the two Kilkenny players that came in to my head first without thinking, mid rant. No excuse, I know, but you get my point, if I have one :)

Sorry again, very embarrassed about that one :D

As we all know there are club rivalries, incidents in matches, etc...

Has anyone any specifics? Not that I don't believe it, obviously I do. But, just out of curiosity. Any names? Specific incidents like the Thomas' lads travelling alone for example? The apparent altercation between two panel members during race week, etc...

• Advertisement

Where did it all go wrong?

Galway_hurler_united.jpg

As we all know there are club rivalries, incidents in matches, etc...

Has anyone any specifics? Not that I don't believe it, obviously I do. But, just out of curiosity. Any names? Specific incidents like the Thomas' lads travelling alone for example? The apparent altercation between two panel members during race week, etc...

I didn't hear about those latest ones until this thread.

But going back to the other site you had...
      St.Thomas players going to the 7s even though all county players were asked not to play.
      Not exactly confirmed but you can gather from that and squads thereafter they went unpunished and no doubt this leads to frustration amongst other players with preferential treatment of home club
      Falling out between members of management
      Personal one I heard from a reliable source: Players were in Monroes the night of the LF, the man approached the players to tell them to keep their heads up and good luck in the 1/4s... as he left the table they were heard laughing and joking about it in a real ''haha we haven't a hope'' way...not sure who was at the table though.

Well, Thomas' and Portumna better meet again in the championship. They should at least have the decency of providing us with entertainment :pac:

I remember hearing something or another about Andy Smyth leaving the panel before the LF before returning. Whatever reason for both I don't know, I don't even remember where I heard it or whether there's any truth to it but...

I'd be interested to see where Joe Canning is amongst all this. Obviously there's a lot of focus and presure on him given his ability on the pitch and he's always came across as a gent. A few would criticise him for his comments re:Shefflin last year but sure... I suppose I'm just curious more than anything.

God if this time last year or in September even I was told that this would be the kind of talk going on in this thread less than a year later I woulda told whoever to go jump. Not that I'm surprised that we're out practically without a fight a year after nearly winning an AI but the way in which it happened and the stories arising.

What the players do outside of hurling is their own business in fairness. They are amateurs after all.

There is a lot of talk going on about club rivalries and so forth and I don't doubt that the Thomas' v Portumna match left some open wounds as having been at that match, a lot of nasty digs went in all over the pitch while a hopelessly out of his depth ref didn't know where to turn.

However, before this match was ever played, in the early months of the year we were going very poorly. We were in trouble in all the key positions from early in the year, full back was isolated and exploited all year long, centre back was never nailed down, midfield never really found their form leading to the bizarre selection of James Regan for the Leinster final. Same at centre forward, Canning had a big influence on some games but rambled around aimlessly for most games. David Burke has looked a shadow of himself for a long time, Conor Cooney hasn't come near delivering at this level yet. Cyril Donnellan hasn't played well since the Leinster final in 2012. The list goes on.

Really things didn't look right from an awful long way back and no-one really came through to give us additional options. Shane Kavanagh and Jason Grealish came in from the cold having not seen any action. Niall Donohue in my mind was one of the few whose performances held up in most games during the year but he was inexplicably dropped.

While Cork finished below us they had only one real disappointing game at home to Clare where Clare got a late run on them. We beat a poor Waterford side, beat KK with a run of early goals but against Munster, Clare, Tipp and the KK semi-final we were so poor it was obvious that the side needed a shakeup yet we failed to address the glaring weaknesses both in terms of personnel and performance.

There is a lot of talent in Galway still but we need to forget all these minor, u21 club all Irelands etc. and start from the basis that without work rate and intensity we have nothing. All those medals are worthless in the grand scheme of things. There is only one show in town and its at a different level than anything that will ever be experienced at club or underage.

We showed against KK in 2012 that we can get our intensity up to the top level but that needs to be every day. The gap between the majority of teams is very little in hurling terms (as witnessed by the performances of Offaly, Wexford, Waterford etc.) but looking at the game last Sunday highlights how far our lads are off the pace in terms of workrate, sheer will to win and commitment to put their body on the line for the county. Dublin and Corks work rate was superb as will Clare's and Limerick's next Sunday. We beat Cork last year but despite their defections they were unrecognisable from last year in how far they'd moved their intensity levels on.

As an Offaly man said to me once, if we had the players ye had we'd win the All-Ireland every year! While I laughed him off at the time there is an element of truth in it, teams like Offaly, Clare, Dublin and Limerick etc. will go through the wall to win.

I couldn't bring myself to look at a video of the Clare game but my perception being there on the day was that there were numerous rucks in the game and out of these always came a Clare man with comfortable possession. Until we win the dirty ball or at least make sure the opposition know about it when they've come out of such a ruck we can forget ever achieving anything.

What the players do outside of hurling is their own business in fairness. They are amateurs after all.

But incidents like Monroes/altercations race week/etc... (if true) would affect the team.

That said and I'll say it again, when all this rivalry and everything that goes with it was non-existent I can't imagine we would have one the AI this year anyway. Dublin and Cork last weekend really highlighted how far off the mark we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

None of the examples you have given come any where close to the abhorrence and downright hatred I have witnessed at Glaway CLub hurling matches over the last 15 years, the only thing I have ever seen to come even remotely close is in Laois and considering some of the hurlers they have also produced it can be argued they have also underachieved.
    Of course there are rivalries in every county between clubs. The difference appears to be that management in Galway allow it to seep into the county panel.

Do you think Cody, Donal O'Grady or even Davey Fitz would allow this **** to carry on? Would they hell... Panels need to air this stuff and get it on the table. If someone isn't buying in then a big call needs to be made.

I wouldn't blame management at all, Im sure you would have included Ger Loughnane in that list too only he htried and failed to resolve it, the hatred and bitternes in Galway Club hurling goes far beyond players aswell, I genuinely was quite scared in the stands at a few games over the last few years.

I don't accept that at all and especially not in the middle of a championship campaign, if you accept the invitation to join the county panel for the year then you are giving a commitment to management, your fellow players and the county as a whole, if you feel you are unable to commit to that then you don't accept the invite in the first place imo.

Best of luck to the Galway minors today.

Also hard luck to our intermediates yesterday sounds liked they were comprehensively beaten on the day. Interesting to note that Gerry Mac's son Gearoid lined out at 6 for Galway yesterday.

Shame to see.

There were some knowledgeable lads on that forum but also 3 or 4 headbangers that had personal feuds going on for months at a time and used to chase each other across the various threads. Was only a matter of time before they ruined it for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well done to the minors! \o/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Well done to the minors! \o/

Another September date in Croke Park for us :):):)

CONGRATS GALWAY !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Conor Whelan was brilliant today and made the difference in extra time with a few lovely scores. A lad whose first touch and pace we could have done with on the senior team a few weeks ago. Hurling is now a young man's game, look at Tony Kelly running rings around Limerick today. Although AC went with youth when he came on board as manager, we were very lacking in pace this year. Where are lads like Ritchie Cummins who has serious pace?

nagirrac wrote: »
    Conor Whelan was brilliant today and made the difference in extra time with a few lovely scores. A lad whose first touch and pace we could have done with on the senior team a few weeks ago. Hurling is now a young man's game, look at Tony Kelly running rings around Limerick today. Although AC went with youth when he came on board as manager, we were very lacking in pace this year. Where are lads like Ritchie Cummins who has serious pace?

Cunningham seemed to go for size over skill or pace maybe with an eye on matching Kilkenny's physicality. However this year there are two mobile pacy sides in the All-Ireland final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Cunningham seemed to go for size over skill or pace maybe with an eye on matching Kilkenny's physicality. However this year there are two mobile pacy sides in the All-Ireland final.

Looks like we will have to change tack again then as Clare, Cork ,Dublin and Limerick are relatively young sides. Two frustrating aspects of this is Galway hurling traditionally has always been based on pace and skill, and we have matched or beaten all these rivals at underage in recent years. It is somewhat annoying to say the least that in the year Kilkenny have been toppled, there are two teams in the AI final we had been beating on a regular basis for the past 3 or 4 years. They clearly moved on and we went backwards.

Presuming now Daithi Burke will be committing to a senior team next year? I know he's been asked to join the hurlers numerous times, wonder which code (if any) he'll pick, or if he'll give both a go. He's a long term no. 3 or no. 6 IMO (hurling).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

We had plenty of pace last year; what happened since? Was it trained / ran out of them?

Well done Galway minors that took guts ,
    I have never seen a ref that was worse either at a game or on the telly,
    They have a good case about the first point and that spoils things but its down to the ref.
    Did nobody tell him today was not about him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Congrats Galway minors. Feel for Limerick a bit because of that disputed point.
    And ye put the seniors to shame

Congrats also to the Galway lady hurlers and footballers.

Gaillimh Abú

• Advertisement

Talk on TSG of Limerick appealing the result because of the point that wasn't given. In fairness the ref evened it up with that ridiculous free right at the end. Not sure Limerick will see it that way though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement