Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weird shotgun recoil

Options
  • 25-04-2015 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I was having a crack at a grey crow that was on the front lawn this morning, he went up in front of me, I was confident that I had the right lead and I pulled the trigger.

What I got was no recoil and no bang, just a crack like when you fire a supersonic round through a suppressed rifle.

My father who was inside 20m away didn't even hear the shot. Anybody know what happened? The crow didn't even flinch by the way. I was using Eley Supergame 32g #6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

BrownTrout wrote: »
    I was having a crack at a grey crow that was on the front lawn this morning, he went up in front of me, I was confident that I had the right lead and I pulled the trigger.

What I got was no recoil and no bang, just a crack like when you fire a supersonic round through a suppressed rifle.

My father who was inside 20m away didn't even hear the shot. Anybody know what happened? The crow didn't even flinch by the way. I was using Eley Supergame 32g #6

Probably only a primer in the cartridge and the rest of its usual contents were never put in, then somehow made it past QC at the factory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Defintie mis fire and as said above most likely a "dud" round. Always wait at least a minute when this happens incase the misfire turns into a hangfire. Open the gun and quickly remove the round. I've seen lads do this very slowly and frankly cannot understand why. You want it out fast incase it does go off.

Did you check the round afterwards? Did it seem lite?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Cass wrote:
    Did you check the round afterwards? Did it seem lite?
    Seemed like any normal cartridge, I don't think it was blank. Didn't notice any weight difference between the "dud" and the rest in the box

Sounds like a squib round. It's also known as "all pop and no kick" which seems very relevant to your situation.

It's a faulty primer or more accurately the failure of the primer to ignite the propellant. Effective the round is dead. The primer has been expended so cannot "all of a sudden fire", but to be on the safe side i'd cut the cartridge and dump the shot/propellant out of it. Then dispose of the shell/case. It's rare in that i've never seen it or had it happen to me, but have heard others have it happen to them.

The only saving grace is it's a shotgun. Meaning it's not a single projectile that can get stuck in the barrel had it partially fired.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

The cartridge, DID fire, just didn't sound right or recoil right. Maybe the proper amount of gunpowder wasn't put into the round?

• Advertisement

Ah, gotcha.

I thought by the way it was described above that the round did not fire. Could have been half load, or poor propellant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

A few years ago a guy I know left a shell in his trousers pocket, it went through the washing machine and his wife gave it back to him. He went shooting pulled the trigger and got a small bang from the shell, luckily for him he checked his barrels to find the wad stuck in the barrel.
    It might be a good idea to check your barrels OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Absolutely agree with above, any abnormalities with a shot should result in a inspection of the bore etc. Definitely sounds like a squib load or damp / clumped powder.
    Having said that when I plink with cheep .22 Federal bulk HV you will get quite a bit of inconsistencies in noise ranging between low charges and hotter ones, once there's a manufacturering process there's always the possibility for errors.

Advertisement