Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bipod shooting sticks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

hexosan wrote: »
    Anyone used these before. What are they like.

http://www.bipodshootingsticks.com

prefer the quad pod legs instead, rock steady

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I got the extendable wild hunter ones other day and just wasn't steady enough for me. I'd prefer the tripod ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

TBH, I've always found full length sticks a pain to have to carry around and also think that as a rule sticks probably make you a more lazy shooter over the long term (in terms of not having to steady the gun, to the same extent as you would, without sticks). I guess it's a bit like parking sensors on the back of a car - the idea is great, but you get into a lazy habbit of not looking behind you when reversing.

From those I've seen, I think I like these ones a little more than some others given the convenience, but equally can accept that they may not be quite as steady as full length tripods for example.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

A little off topic but the best tripod out there are bog pods they sell them in active hunting around 140 euro but a job for life , i know 3 lads that have the trigger stick yokes and they all had problems with the legs on them , i have a set of quad sticks im going to put up for sale soon ,they cost 164 euro so not cheap either ,rock steady but not really great for a animal on the move as you snag the bottom on gorse or high grass when shifting them to the side to track the animal , it is a bit awkward , where the bog pod head turns 360 so you can track anything
    without moving the legs and they are extremely light.
    The ones advertised certainly do look handy but for a standing shot how steady would they be ? Especially after walking up a hill and your out of breath ,would it be much more steady than just using your sling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

A little off topic but the best tripod out there are bog pods they sell them in active hunting around 140 euro but a job for life , i know 3 lads that have the trigger stick yokes and they all had problems with the legs on them , i have a set of quad sticks im going to put up for sale soon ,they cost 164 euro so not cheap either ,rock steady but not really great for a animal on the move as you snag the bottom on gorse or high grass when shifting them to the side to track the animal , it is a bit awkward , where the bog pod head turns 360 so you can track anything
    without moving the legs and they are extremely light.
    The ones advertised certainly do look handy but for a standing shot how steady would they be ? Especially after walking up a hill and your out of breath ,would it be much more steady than just using your sling?

well I have had them all single,double, treble, and quad,the quad in my opinion was the best though a bit bulky carrying stalking/shooting,but rock steady. I have just received delivery of these quad sticks, look the business, slim enough when folded to act as a walking staff, rock steady on trial in my back garden, will try them out for real over the next few days and let you know. Have a look at the short video on the advert below, worth watching.
    http://quadsticks.yolasite.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

........ i know 3 lads that have the trigger stick yokes and they all had problems with the legs on them ..........

The Father, and myself sometimes, use the Primos tripod.

313aoVu151L._SY300_.jpg

Have to say they are excellent. never a bother with the legs, the trigger on it, nothing. They are a little on the heavy side, but as they fold up it's grand to be able to sling them over your shoulder and when you need it there is no fumbling for jam in legs, or twisting the locking mechanisms as with the Deerhunter ones.

You just take them off your shoulder, pull the trigger and the lags drop until you let go or they hit the deck. A few times last year they came into their own when we had to shift position. Again no need for fumbling to get set. You simply pull the trigger and the legs adjust, independently, to the ground you're on.

As soon as the trigger is released they are rock solid and with a pivoting had, "knurled" rubber V grip, and rubber strap the gun is locked into position. Makes for a very stable shooting platform. Lastly they also double up as a tripod for my spotting scope, range finder, etc. when on the range or the mountain. The V grip screws off and leaves a threaded screw to attach the appropriately threaded item to. Very handy.

I've used the quad sticks and they are very, very stable. The thing i don't like about them is the fixed leg position making it a long (and for where i shoot) awkward carry. I've seen the folding ones (not sure if they're the same brand)

decoyquadsticks2.png

but again it's a case of manually adjusting each leg. IOW when in a position to take a quick shot you cannot. I also have Deerhunter bipod ones and for the rimfire shooting they're fine, but only fine. Not very stable, because of the two legs, and the fact you're holding them steady and trying to aim the gun. As said though they're fine for short range vermin.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

well I have had them all single,double, treble, and quad,the quad in my opinion was the best though a bit bulky carrying stalking/shooting,but rock steady. I have just received delivery of these quad sticks, look the business, slim enough when folded to act as a walking staff, rock steady on trial in my back garden, will try them out for real over the next few days and let you know. Have a look at the short video on the advert below, worth watching.
    http://quadsticks.yolasite.com/
    Do you not find them awkward when your set up and have to mve to the side for an animal moving especially at night when lamping?
    I have these ones http://www.4stablestick.fr/index.php?id_product=9&controller=product&id_lang=2
    maybe its my height im 5, 8" i just find it a bit awkward moving them about ,i prefare the sticks fixed and the head to rotate.

Cass wrote: »
    The Father, and myself sometimes, use the Primos tripod.

313aoVu151L._SY300_.jpg

Have to say they are excellent. never a bother with the legs, the trigger on it, nothing. They are a little on the heavy side, but as they fold up it's grand to be able to sling them over your shoulder and when you need it there is no fumbling for jam in legs, or twisting the locking mechanisms as with the Deerhunter ones.

You just take them off your shoulder, pull the trigger and the lags drop until you let go or they hit the deck. A few times last year they came into their own when we had to shift position. Again no need for fumbling to get set. You simply pull the trigger and the legs adjust, independently, to the ground you're on.

As soon as the trigger is released they are rock solid and with a pivoting had, "knurled" rubber V grip, and rubber strap the gun is locked into position. Makes for a very stable shooting platform. Lastly they also double up as a tripod for my spotting scope, range finder, etc. when on the range or the mountain. The V grip screws off and leaves a threaded screw to attach the appropriately threaded item to. Very handy.

I've used the quad sticks and they are very, very stable. The thing i don't like about them is the fixed leg position making it a long (and for where i shoot) awkward carry. I've seen the folding ones (not sure if they're the same brand)

decoyquadsticks2.png

but again it's a case of manually adjusting each leg. IOW when in a position to take a quick shot you cannot. I also have Deerhunter bipod ones and for the rimfire shooting they're fine, but only fine. Not very stable, because of the two legs, and the fact you're holding them steady and trying to aim the gun. As said though they're fine for short range vermin.
    The concept behind the trigger stick is exellent , like if you sat a hunter down and asked him what he wanted in a shooting stick ,this would tick all the boxes , but the problems the lads had was one or two of the legs would not come down when the trigger was pulled resulting in the rifle ending on the ground and them having to pull the legs down with their 2 hands .
    I see these lads had the same problem but reading up on it there was a gen1 set with the leg problem that has been now rectified with a gen 2 set .
    So good chance if your buying a second hand set they could be gen 1.
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-85512.html

https://primos.zendesk.com/entries/21360705-I-have-used-my-trigger-stick-2-times-and-now-it-does-not-want-to-work

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jim3592

Hi. I have three sets of primos tripod sticks and find them handy. I have two short ones so might put one of them for sale in next few days when I get a chance.

I got the extendable wild hunter ones other day and just wasn't steady enough for me. I'd prefer the tripod ones
    Thought you took all your shots free hand :pac::pac: seriously though i never liked the bipod always prefared the tripod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

These shooting sticks are getting like the razor blades, one leg no two legs no three legs no four legs. When will the madness end ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

The next gen

hexosan wrote: »
    These shooting sticks are getting like the razor blades, one leg no two legs no three legs no four legs. When will the madness end ��
    Bush wear have a quad stick with a fifth leg it is meant to be like shooting from a bench, can not imagine it being easy set up for a quick shot

The Caldwell Deashot system. Combines a quad pod with a tripod base.

41T7s1WhUJL._SY300_.jpg

Ultra steady no doubt, but again heavy and not quick to set up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thought you took all your shots free hand :pac::pac: seriously though i never liked the bipod always prefared the tripod.

Got me last week t give me a shot with the grass getting longer t make it easier and i wasn't impressed so despite having them in the car I never really bother carrying them with me now.
    I find myself too concentrated on the sticks and missing shots were as freehand It's more up drop crosshairs on it and that split second ......squeeze. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Be of two minds about them.An extra bit of kit to lug about,but certainly an aid,but if you use the sling properly you are cutting down on luggable kit.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

These stands are probably all great if your in a hide, but I have yet to see one that doesn't look like a pain to have to lug around.... not to mention the time need to set up, if and when a shooting opportunity arises.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

If anyone is looking for tripod Sticks , I was in CG Hobbies, in Celbridge tonight and saw 3 Sets like these....

Hi Nightforce,

Do CG Hobbies have a website (I had a quick look on google, but no joy - just basic address and contact details to be found on various business listings) ?

Many thanks.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi Nightforce,

Do CG Hobbies have a website (I had a quick look on google, but no joy - just basic address and contact details to be found on various business listings) ?

Many thanks.

Ñot sure. Give them a call 01 6303910 theyll let you know...ask for clarrie

• Advertisement

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi Nightforce,

Many thanks.
    Under my posts is my sign line and in it are a full list of dealers, shops, online shops, licensing information, ranges, etc. Click on the "List of Firearm Dealers" and scroll down to Kildare. You'll find their website, contact details, address, etc there.

If anyone is looking for tripod Sticks , I was in CG Hobbies, in Celbridge tonight and saw 3 Sets like these....

95 quid??
    Is that the norm on tripods??

They are the Quick Stick version. It's like Deben's version of the Harris. IOW pretty much the same in terms of design, etc. but not Primos.

Cass wrote: »
    They are the Quick Stick version. It's like Deben's version of the Harris. IOW pretty much the same in terms of design, etc. but not Primos.

So basically a different name on em all.
    Like most things.
    How much would someone pay for quad sticks

AFAIK this is how it went (or more accurately how the story goes). Harris held the patent on their bipods for "X" amount of years. When the patent expired it was a free for all. After saying that i think Deben are as good in terms of quality, just without the high price of Harris. Harris could charge the high price because they had the market cornered on that particular design. If they were seen to drop their price to compete with Deben prices (after the patent expired) questions would be asked as to why they were so high before and since.

As for the sticks. Primos hold the patent (or patent pending) on the sticks. If they have not got the patent yet then others will copy their model until it does come through at which point you'll see a severe drop in copies for fear of patent infringement.

The other thing on this is people seem to think that you have to pay more to get better quality. As my Father would put it "they don't feel like they're getting a deal unless they're getting screwed". In some aspects that is right. I mean i'd hold certain items well above others in terms of quality and heritage and the price reflects this. In other aspects it's not appropriate. I have both Harris and Deben and frankly i cannot tell them apart in terms of quality, functionality, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rookman

I just made up some quad sticks with the green garden poles-very steady.Once you practice opening and deploying rifle onto them they become like second nature.I find them so good that i have taken off the bipod for lamping foxes.

Advertisement