Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr Pistol Licensing

Options
  • 19-04-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am just about to take the plunge and buy myself a Beretta 87T Target Pistol but I am bit confused about licensing. Is it true that license applications for all pistols are on hold at the minute or should I just go ahead, buy the pistol and put the application in?

Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

there is no change to the current legislation, and there is no hold on licencing pistols, in saying that before you buy anything go talk to your local Firearms officer or Super and let them know what you plan and get their views on you having a pistol. Better than spending your money and then been told nah I don't like the look of that

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SilentD

Thanks for that Wadi, I will get in touch with the FO first, don't want to go over his head and straight to the Super. My FO is a genuine straight talking guy so I'll try and get him on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Expect to wait for at least 3 months (the period the Gardai are allowed to process an application) before getting the licence. Seems certain supers are holding off to see what why this whole thing is going to go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said no change on the legislation.

One thing though, and i'm not going against Wadi14 cause it's good advice, talking to your FO will be helpful but only to a certain point. It's the Super that will issue the license so whether the FO tells you that it's a good idea, bad idea, wait, etc. the Super makes the decision so take what you're told by the FO with a pinch of salt.

Also is the gun already in the country. If so a small deposit will hold it, and absolutely DON'T pay for it in full no matter what the RFD might tell you. If they refuse to take a small deposit, then you need to be prepared to walk away. Otherwise you've just bought an expensive paperweight if you have trouble with the license application.

Stick in an application and make sure all the boxes are ticked and hopefully you'll get it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

You really need to talk to your super on this. None of us here can give you a definite answer.

But you are right, it is true that a lot of us are now getting hassle when there was never an issue before. Just a few weeks ago my own super was very reluctant to give out a new licence to me (and I'm a long time pistol shooter) and I see some other lads on here in the same boat, had pistols for years and now getting hassle. Just fingers crossed your super isn't in the band wagon.

A little bit of advice that worked for me. Find yourself a copy of the old commisioner guidelines there was a list of 'acceptable pistols' at the back of it. Pick one of those pistols listed and it should make a life that little bit easier.

Also, the government proposals that your hearing all about lately is to go after pistols with a barrel shorter then 12.7cm.... now of course its only proposals... its not set in stone..... but just something to keep in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

The beretta T87 was on the previous commissioners list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

The Beretta 87T is looked upon as favourably az the GSG 1911

Thanks for all the advise guys, I will only put a deposit down on the pistol and will make an appointment to see the local Super before I submit the application.

See the Super first then you know if your putting down a deposit and what pistol your putting it down on SilentD

Yes definitely, talk to him first before you put a deposit down. It will save you and the dealer wasted time/hassle if its going to be a no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Interesting that many of you are suggesting that SilentD go have a chat first, I would tend to take the opposite approach...

Assuming that SilentD has a genuine reason for wanting the pistol and there are no special considerations, I would be inclined to complete the application and put it straight in. If the F.O. or Super wants to have a chat, you'll get a phonecall, but he / she may feel there is no need.

No one should be taking the veiw that applications are "on hold" at the moment. The law has not been changed.

Also, just to give a little balance. My own experiences with the licencing proceedures & Gardai to date have been very good - I've never had to wait an unreasonable amount of time (i.e. anything even close to 3 months) or felt that I was being unfairly treated etc. and that includes my more recent experiences. I'm not a special case btw and don't have any connections, I'm just a "happy customer" :)

Obviously, I agree 100% about putting no more than a small cash deposit down until the licence is approved.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd be willing to bet that no matter what pistol you pick, the Super will try and convince you not to licence a pistol.

He has to apply the law as it is, not how they would like it to be, so even if he tries to put you off, go ahead and apply for it (as long as you fulfill all the criteria for licencing a pistol).

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Interesting that many of you are suggesting that SilentD go have a chat first, I would tend to take the opposite approach...

Assuming that SilentD has a genuine reason for wanting the pistol and there are no special considerations, I would be inclined to complete the application and put it straight in. If the F.O. or Super wants to have a chat, you'll get a phonecall, but he / she may feel there is no need.

I highlighted the line from your post why in my opinion it is best to talk to the Super prior to purchase, you must have target shooting on an authorised range as the only reason and most likely he the Super will have considerations , so best to find out what his considerations are in my opinion, in my own case the Super wanted a non monitored alarm in my house and a secure metal transit case for transportation, He got both and I got my licence.

I have an appointment to see my super on Thursday, I already have an O/U for clays and shoot in competition with it, a .22lr rifle that I use on my club range and I am taking membership of another range that has pistol facilities. My regular club will hopefully have a pistol range finished within the next 3/4 months. With regards to security I have a substantial safe in the house and an alarm fitted.
    Hopefully that should tick all the boxes.....

The reason I suggest talking to him first is to test the waters. My lad was always fairly reasonable but in the last few months seems to have taken a major dislike for 1911's or anything thats black or evil looking, or anything that comes pre-threaded for a silencer.

So Id be off the opinion its better to have a 10 minute meeting and find this stuff out first before putting the form in and getting the refusal and then having to go get the desposit back and then have to start a brand new application all over again.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet that no matter what pistol you pick, the Super will try and convince you not to licence a pistol...

Hi,

While slight, the actual risk of a member of the force trying to talk someone out of applying is the very reason why I would put the formal application straight in without prior discussion. Then, if it is to be rejected, it has to be on solid grounds and not just based on an individual's view on firearms.

I'm not saying that everyone in the force would take the above approach (infact, I'd hope none would) and as already mentioned, my own experiences have been very good, but it just removes the risk of someone potentially trying to scare off an application before it is formally made.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hi,

While slight, the actual risk of a member of the force trying to talk someone out of applying is the very reason why I would put the formal application straight in without prior discussion. Then, if it is to be rejected, it has to be on solid grounds and not just based on an individual's view on firearms.

I'm not saying that everyone in the force would take the above approach (infact, I'd hope none would) and as already mentioned, my own experiences have been very good, but it just removes the risk of someone potentially trying to scare off an application before it is formally made.

I was told barefaced lies by the FO at my local station the first time I enquired about getting a pistol. This was about about five or six years ago.

I went in, asked what was the procedure for applying for a .22 pistol, and was told that the Super has said he isn't licencing any more pistols, that in effect they are banned. I was told that there's no point applying, I won't even take your application as it would be a waste of time.

Like the good law abiding citizen that I am, I took the Guard at his word, didn't apply for a pistol and went quietly away.

About two years later I met a member of Harbour House and was talking to him about shooting. It was only then that I found out that I had been lied to and that .22 pistols weren't banned. I was well pi55ed off that I had been lied to and that I had missed out on a few years of shooting.

I then applied for a pistol, it took three months to the day for the licence to come through.

Sorry for the long story but I have learned that you need to know the law when talking to the Gardai about firearms because either they don't know the law or don't always apply it correctly.

BattleCorp wrote: »

I went in, asked what was the procedure for applying for a .22 pistol, and was told that the Super has said he isn't licencing any more pistols, that in effect they are banned. I was told that there's no point applying, I won't even take your application as it would be a waste of time.

Like the good law abiding citizen that I am, I took the Guard at his word, didn't apply for a pistol and went quietly away..

Sorry to hear that BattleCorp.

That is an exact example of what I beleive can be avoided, if you make formal application rather than go for a chat, prior to applying....

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement