Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of Tyres for Skoda Octavia Saloon.

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

OH's Skoda Octavia 2008 saloon needs two new front tyres,she will have to get them tomorrow morning as is going on a journey,current Tyres on it are 'Federal',as time is an issue she will only be able to go to a local garage to get tyres and the fella there has bit of a rep for plucking his prices out of the sky!....so what roughly would two decent safe tyres be for this car,mention brands if you like,I am not a car person!:)
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will have to be a bit more specific and tell us what size tyre is on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will have to be a bit more specific and tell us what size tyre is on the car.

Sorry...how many nos typically would be in the size or in what format would it be written,
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sorry...how many nos typically would be in the size or in what format would it be written,
    Thanks.

Example: 235/45 R17. Be on the sidewall of the tyres.

Example: 235/45 R17. Be on the sidewall of the tyres.

205/60R15 91H

205/60R15 91H

Think the 91H part may not be needed,
    Would really appreciate if anyone could get back tonight with a costing for tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Would really appreciate if anyone could get back tonight with a costing for tyres.

I got Firestone for my Octavia recently for 70 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I got Firestone for my Octavia recently for 70 euro.

I am guessing those were 195/65 15 though?

I very much doubt you'd get a 205/60 15 Firestone for €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Oponeo's great for tyres, you can add about €10-15 per tyre extra for fitting/balancing in a garage. I'd look for something like a Hankook, Vredstein or Uniroyal, all of those make good tyres for not a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just checked. They are 195's

Hi George,roughly how much would Firestone 205/60 15 be for the Skoda?...... Thanks.

• Advertisement

Oponeo's great for tyres, you can add about €10-15 per tyre extra for fitting/balancing in a garage. I'd look for something like a Hankook, Vredstein or Uniroyal, all of those make good tyres for not a lot of money.

Thanks....so ballpark figure wise what would it be for size tyres needed by the OH tomorrow,say in Hankook or any of other makes you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi George,roughly how much would Firestone 205/60 15 be for the Skoda?...... Thanks.

Same price as they'd be for any car...?

Just google them. You'll see what places are charging.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you'd checked the link above for Oponeo, you'd know they are 70

That's the marvellous thing about websites, they don't work 9-5 and you can search lots of options

I would say around €100 each.

You'll get cheap Chinese brands from €70 or so upwards but you would want to be spending close to €100 to get something half decent.

It's not a common size so I reckon you will struggle to find anybody with a decent brand in stock as most people are only interested in the cheapest tyre available, hence that's what tyre retailers stock.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would say around €100 each.

You'll get cheap Chinese brands from €70 or so upwards but you would want to be spending close to €100 to get something half decent.

It's not a common size so I reckon you will struggle to find anybody with a decent brand in stock as most people are only interested in the cheapest tyre available, hence that's what tyre retailers stock.

Oponeo have them at 70 a corner George and in stock for Firestone

They Hankooks at the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

id say you would get 4 cheap tyres for 160 eur.

Stheno wrote: »
    Oponeo have them at 70 a corner George and in stock for Firestone

They Hankooks at the same!

That's not the same thing though. The OP asked me what they would expect to pay in a bricks and mortar tyre shop (remember that they want to get tyres fitted tomorrow). I doubt you'll get many places quoting any less than €100.

On a slightly unrelated note, in my opinion it is only a matter of time before tyre retailers increase their prices for fitting tyres that they haven't supplied.

That's not the same thing though. The OP asked me what they would expect to pay in a bricks and mortar tyre shop (remember that they want to get tyres fitted tomorrow). I doubt you'll get many places quoting any less than €100.

On a slightly unrelated note, in my opinion it is only a matter of time before tyre retailers increase their prices for fitting tyres that they haven't supplied.

True, I'd go with 100 min from a bricks and mortar store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

yeah closer to €100 fitted for something decent.

If they tell you that all the taxi drivers are using them I'd be avoiding whatever they suggest..!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Was in a tyre centre last week getting tyres on my car. A service van from a well known haulage company came in and got 4 " cheap as chips" tyres fitted. Couldn't believe it. Makes you wonder what they fit on their lorries.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

id say you would get 4 cheap tyres for 160 eur.

You would. But if you'd any sense you wouldn't drive on them. Best use they can be put to is to stop tugboats bumping against the pier. They're really good for that.

166man wrote: »
    yeah closer to €100 fitted for something decent.

If they tell you that all the taxi drivers are using them I'd be avoiding whatever they suggest..!

OH got two 'Kingstar' tyres this am...
    As someone mentioned here the tyre size is awkward,he told her they are made by sister co of Hankook,were best tyres he had of that size in stock,80 euro fitted...does that sound ok or a bit steep?
    Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Semperit 205/60/R15 91H €88 fitted at my local tyre place. 195/65/R15 91H listed at €74.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the Behemoth is on Semperit since about 2008, when I finally decided to give up being buggered by Pirelli! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kingstar are a budget tyre brand owned by Hankook. They are not as bad as Wan Li, Ling Longs or Sunny plastic tyres but then again being better than that lot doesn't mean they are good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I cant recommend budget tyres enough but Im in the minority
    Never had a bad experience in all the years with them on my car protecting me

have 4 zetex or something like that on at the moment. nice cheap and reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

jimgoose wrote: »
    Oh, and for what it's worth, the Behemoth is on Semperit since about 2008, when I finally decided to give up being buggered by Pirelli! :D

Do you notice any appreciable difference? Aside from the heavier wallet. ;)

bazz26 wrote: »
    Kingstar are a budget tyre brand owned by Hankook. They are not as bad as Wan Li, Ling Longs or Sunny plastic tyres but then again being better than that lot doesn't mean they are good either.

So is €80 fitted a bit steep for them?....was a necessary evil for OH to get them today but don't need to be making up the local tyre man:)
    .......and roughly speaking how many km or miles should tyres do?....combination of main roads and country roads driving,about 200km a week.

€80 was a fair price IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Do you notice any appreciable difference? Aside from the heavier wallet. ;)

No. And €50 per-corner less is not to be sneezed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

jimgoose wrote: »
    No. And €50 per-corner less is not to be sneezed at.

Until you need to stop in the cold and wet in a hurry.... An extra few quid per corner for tyres that actually work when needed (not just supporting the weight of the car) is a hell of a lot cheaper then either a lot NCB or the mental anguish from knocking someone down.

The typical Irish gombeen attitude to buying "chape tyres" always annoys me as I have to share the road with these idiots that cannot physically stop in a hurry due to having crap tyres under their cars.

Moral of this post? Save up and get proper trusted tyres that are safe for the rest of us road users.

Advertisement