Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coach - NEW Waterford - Kilkenny - Dublin Service from 16th December

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The service started on the 16th and haven't heard anything about it in Carlow,

The aren't taking free travel so stopping Carlow would be a bit of a waste of time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The aren't taking free travel so stopping Carlow would be a bit of a waste of time and effort.

Ouch :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Constructive posts only please.

Implying everyone in Carlow (or anywhere else) has a free travel pass is inappropriate.

Please read the charter

Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They were as quiet when they started the Limerick - Dublin route, however recently they had to start running extra services on Sundays and Fridays to keep up with demand!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know how they are doing, have saw largely empty buses or almost empty ones even at busy times i.e. Friday afternoon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone know how they are doing, have saw largely empty buses or almost empty ones even at busy times i.e. Friday afternoon!

Saw a bus at the red cow at about 8.20pm the other night and it had nobody on it heading to Kilkenny and Waterford, the 9.20pm JJ kavanagh buses to clonmel and Carlow/Waterford were about 2/3rds full, but they serve the airport and the Dublin coach bus doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

The passengers must be all on the train :D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Noticed a bus yesterday in Kilkenny heading North to Dublin. And seen over half full. And another 10 people in que waiting to board. Seems to be taking off now

linny wrote: »
    Noticed a bus yesterday in Kilkenny heading North to Dublin. And seen over half full. And another 10 people in que waiting to board. Seems to be taking off now

It is a big improvement in Kilkenny where the only option previously was the train which is quite slow to the city centre and the bus eireann 007 and JJ Kavanagh's bus from clonmel.

What time was the bus you saw yesterday?

Banjoxed wrote: »
    The passengers must be all on the train :D

Well they are to Waterford anyway, make off Kilkenny is doing better than Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's always going to take time to build up custom on new services like this.

When Aircoach launched their Dublin-Cork service and Dublin Coach their Dublin-Limerick route, we had exactly the same posts suggesting very few people were using them.

You need to give any new service six months to bed in properly.

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's always going to take time to build up custom on new services like this.

When Aircoach launched their Dublin-Cork service and Dublin Coach their Dublin-Limerick route, we has exactly the same posts suggesting very few people were using them.

You need to give any new service six months to bed in properly.

You have a fair point but I don't think the same level of demand for service is there currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You have a fair point but I don't think the same level of demand for service is there currently.

Again, you cannot make that judgment this soon - it takes time for any new service to build up custom and word of mouth to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

Getting the 10am coach down from D'Olier Street on Saturday; according to their website I'll be in Waterford at 12:15. I've never used their service before. Those who have; what time should I realistically expect to arrive?

Getting the 10am coach down from D'Olier Street on Saturday; according to their website I'll be in Waterford at 12:15. I've never used their service before. Those who have; what time should I realistically expect to arrive?

Have never used them but 2h15m is very doable, worst case 12.30 at latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Had an interesting conversation with a guy in a pub a few weeks ago. He reckons that free travel pass holders are nervous that this service will eventually lead to BE cutting back their service so their is an effort to talk this service down hoping it will have to close.

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Had an interesting conversation with a guy in a pub a few weeks ago. He reckons that free travel pass holders are nervous that this service will eventually lead to BE cutting back their service so their is an effort to talk this service down hoping it will have to close.

Why would bus Eireann put brand new coaches with extra capacity on their Waterford to Dublin route as well as putting better and newer buses on the clonmel 007 route if they were thinking or planning to curtail either service?

Maybe you should chose your barflys more carefully as this one had a few over the limit to make any sense:-D or consider that the pub/canteen is not the best place to pick up information or nws on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Why would bus Eireann put brand new coaches with extra capacity on their Waterford to Dublin route as well as putting better and newer buses on the clonmel 007 route if they were thinking or planning to curtail either service?

Maybe you should chose your barflys more carefully as this one had a few over the limit to make any sense:-D or consider that the pub/canteen is not the best place to pick up information or nws on public transport.

Or message boards! :D

His theory was in years to come(afaik buses have a shelf life). The only reason I paid head to him was I have also noticed that there has been a lot of negative talk about this new service from free pass holders

His theory was in years to come(afaik buses have a shelf life). The only reason I paid head to him was I have also noticed that there has been a lot of negative talk about this new service from free pass holders

Ah so when these new buses wear out that will be the end of it for bus Eireann in waterford? Also I personally wouldn't know how free pass holders feel about either service as generally they are hard to spot or distinguish from other bus passengers. Where have you noticed the negative talk from pass holders and how did you identity them as pass holders?

All I have heard about it lately is that it is very quiet and that people don't trust the times especially going through Kilkenny city at busy times. There was some Carlow people worried before the service started but that was down to a bus Eireann driver spouting lies and nonsense on the 004 service about how Dublin coach were taking over that route and free passes would not be accepted anymore. This same driver used to tell his passengers not to book with JJ kavanaghs as they might not be in business for the return journey!

• Advertisement

Ah so when these new buses wear out that will be the end of it for bus Eireann in waterford? Also I personally wouldn't know how free pass holders feel about either service as generally they are hard to spot or distinguish from other bus passengers. Where have you noticed the negative talk from pass holders and how did you identity them as pass holders?

All I have heard about it lately is that it is very quiet and that people don't trust the times especially going through Kilkenny city at busy times. There was some Carlow people worried before the service started but that was down to a bus Eireann driver spouting lies and nonsense on the 004 service about how Dublin coach were taking over that route and free passes would not be accepted anymore. This same driver used to tell his passengers not to book with JJ kavanaghs as they might not be in business for the return journey!

Easy chicken, have I ruffled your feathers?

Where did I say they would end their service I said cut back (curtail / reduce / scale back)

BE have been badly hit in other routes when privates launch non stop which ultimately means BE make less money so I can see why travel pass holders are worried, so his conspiracy theory is not completely crazy

Easy chicken, have I ruffled your feathers?

Where did I say they would end their service I said cut back (curtail / reduce / scale back)

BE have been badly hit in other routes when privates launch non stop which ultimately means BE make less money so I can see why travel pass holders are worried, so his conspiracy theory is not completely crazy

Ha I haven't had the luxury of feathers for years! More a broiler than a chicken:-)

Although BE are cutting back some services and have been struggling on some routes where privates have started non stop express services this situation is quite different and more unusual because Carlow and Kilkenny are thrown into the mix.

The traditional Waterford route is covered very well by JJ kavanaghs and bus Eireann and they also cover the Kilkenny/clonmel route quite well especially for providing service to locals in need of a stage carriage service. What Dublin coach offer is a more or less express service Waterford/Kilkenny to Dublin. They do not serve Dublin airport! Both JJ kavanaghs and bus Eireann serve the airport from Waterford and Carlow and JJ kavanaghs serve it from clonmel.

Carlow is probably busier than Kilkenny with passengers to either Waterford or Dublin so why did they not look for a service through Carlow and they could have full buses every two hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Urethra Franklin

Carlow is probably busier than Kilkenny with passengers to either Waterford or Dublin so why did they not look for a service through Carlow and they could have full buses every two hours?

Says the Carlowman ;)

Says the Carlowman ;)
    I'm a lily white!

Ha I haven't had the luxury of feathers for years! More a broiler than a chicken:-)

Although BE are cutting back some services and have been struggling on some routes where privates have started non stop express services this situation is quite different and more unusual because Carlow and Kilkenny are thrown into the mix.

The traditional Waterford route is covered very well by JJ kavanaghs and bus Eireann and they also cover the Kilkenny/clonmel route quite well especially for providing service to locals in need of a stage carriage service. What Dublin coach offer is a more or less express service Waterford/Kilkenny to Dublin. They do not serve Dublin airport! Both JJ kavanaghs and bus Eireann serve the airport from Waterford and Carlow and JJ kavanaghs serve it from clonmel.

Because Carlow already has M9 services with JJ

Because Carlow already has M9 services with JJ kavanagh

road_high wrote: »
    Because Carlow already has M9 services with JJ kavanagh
    Carlow also has a direct M9/M7 service to Dublin airport and 75 minute journey to Waterford with Bus Éireann. JJ Kavanaghs have only recently changed their timetable to provide more express services to and from both Dublin Airport and Waterford. So for the NTA it is ok to have several express services between Waterford and Dublin as long as they all take a different route?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Because there is no city in carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've used this bus twice. The first time, I was the only person on the bus the whole way to Kilkenny. The second time was on a Friday at 2 (peak students going home time) and there was me and maybe ten to fifteen students but I think most would agree that at that time on a Friday there would be sufficient demand from students alone to fill the bus if enough people knew about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭patrickc

has anyone used this recently? have numbers increased, only I saw a minibus on he route yesterday on the M9.
    I would of thought NYE would have been a busy day.

Advertisement