Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coach - NEW Waterford - Kilkenny - Dublin Service from 16th December

Options
  • 03-12-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭

From Dublin Coach website:
    NEW Waterford - Kilkenny - Dublin Service from 16th December 01/12/2014

Dublin Coach are delighted to announce a new route servicing Kilkenny and Waterford from Dublin, commencing on Tuesday 16th December.
    Download the Timetable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Dublin coach really are hitting the market by storm and are really putting pressure on the state companies. They have nearly killed the Portlaoise- Heuston rail service. But as per usual IE /BE response is to increase prices:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Those journey times blow JJ Kavanagh/IR out of the water plus they are very frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Any idea of prices yet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

No prices as of yet, but it seems this service has been announced to compete with JJ Kavanagh who also announced a similar service a few hours earlier although it would clearly have launched anyway.

Dublin Coach will have a lot of work to do since they are starting from scratch, but they did that with the Limerick route and it turned out really well for them.

The JJ Kavanagh service starting in January will be an express route calling at Waterford, Carlow, Dublin and Dublin Airport only with some services starting at Tramore.

See thread here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lxflyer wrote: »
    From Dublin Coach website:
    Google maps gives a time of 2 hours and 5 minutes by car doing full motorway speeds most of the journey, I don't see how Dublin Coach can possibly do the same journey in a tri-axle coach limited to 100Kph negotiating heavy city traffic on the narrow streets of Waterford and Kilkenny and selling tickets on board at the three stops as well as serving the Red Cow stop in 2 hours 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not to be negative but they will not sustain 9 daily services however IE will regret cutting those carriages and will lose lots of students!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Very poor experience travelling with JJK last time, so it's good to have an alternative.

Driver was insisting on bypassing the Red Cow stop, and I had to phone head office to get them to get him to stop.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Google maps gives a time of 2 hours and 5 minutes by car doing full motorway speeds most of the journey, I don't see how Dublin Coach can possibly do the same journey in a tri-axle coach limited to 100Kph negotiating heavy city traffic on the narrow streets of Waterford and Kilkenny and selling tickets on board at the three stops as well as serving the Red Cow stop in 2 hours 15 minutes.

I agree i think very optimistic, especially at certain times of the day. Only thing is they can use the bus lanes.
    Assume they have tested and trialled the various routes to measure these times?

What's interesting to me is skipping carlow. I know its prob to do with journey times but with the IT there and town itself been of significant size. Im just thinking it would be the equivalent of skipping either Naas and Newbridge on the Portlaoise route. But then again they have more than likely done their homework and worked out that its not profitable enough to stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

JeffK88 wrote: »
    What's interesting to me is skipping carlow. I know its prob to do with journey times but with the IT there and town itself been of significant size. Im just thinking it would be the equivalent of skipping either Naas and Newbridge on the Portlaoise route. But then again they have more than likely done their homework and worked out that its not profitable enough to stop there.

There are already two operators offering express services between Dublin and Carlow - Bus Eireann and JJ Kavanagh (starting January).

The rules prevent any more than two operators on the same route.

• Advertisement

Ahh I wasnt aware of that. Makes sense then.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

This actually provides a nice morning service to/from Kilkenny and Waterford. Handy for students or workers maybe? Great to see direct routes here finally.

Time seems *extremely* optimistic though!

road_high wrote: »
    I agree i think very optimistic, especially at certain times of the day. Only thing is they can use the bus lanes.
    Assume they have tested and trialled the various routes to measure these times?
    You might think that they have tested and trialled and they probably have but will most likely have been overly optimistic with their timings to promote business. Also depending on the time of day or evening using the bus lanes can be worse than staying out in the traffic lanes because the Dublin buses travel at a much slower speed and stop every few hundred metres.
    The IT is possible the biggest bottleneck in Carlow! it is a huge money spinner but it spins ever so slowly as tickets must be printed off for passengers, most of whom won't have their money or student card ready or will all have €50 notes and the driver won't have change and depending on the buses used they might have issues with loading luggage at the IT on Fridays. better off skipping Carlow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

Dublin coach really are hitting the market by storm and are really putting pressure on the state companies. They have nearly killed the Portlaoise- Heuston rail service. But as per usual IE /BE response is to increase prices:confused:

who sets IE/BE prices?
    the NTA, i wonder why they are higher,hmmm

Ahh I wasnt aware of that. Makes sense then.

Basically you will have:

Dublin Coach:
    Express: Dublin - Kilkenny - Waterford

JJ Kavanagh:
    Express: Dublin Airport - Dublin - Carlow - Waterford

Semi-fast: Dublin Airport - Dublin - Carlow (Express); Then Stopping service via Thomastown to Waterford

Semi-fast: Dublin Airport - Dublin - Naas - Carlow (Stopping) then Express to Waterford

Stopping: Dublin Airport - Dublin - Naas - Carlow - Thomastown - Waterford

Stopping: Dublin Airport - Dublin - Naas - Athy - Kilkenny - Clonmel

Bus Eireann:
    Express: Waterford - Kilkenny - Carlow - Dublin - Dublin Airport

Semi-fast: Dublin Airport - Dublin - Carlow (Express); Then Stopping service via Thomastown to Waterford

Stopping: Dublin - Naas - Athy - Kilkenny - Carrick-on-Suir - Clonmel

But then again they have more than likely done their homework and worked out that its not profitable enough to stop there.

do you think this is a level playing field for BE to compete on?

s8080 wrote: »
    who sets IE/BE prices?
    the NTA, i wonder why they are higher,hmmm

Bus Eireann Expressway prices are set by the company.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Bus Eireann Expressway prices are set by the company.

who set the IE fares?

s8080 wrote: »
    who set the IE fares?

The NTA - I was just correcting your earlier post.

Lets call a spade a spade. IE set their fares however they must be approved by the NTA and in most cases are however sometimes they don't allow IE to go as high as they would like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Lets call a spade a spade. IE set their fares however they must be approved by the NTA and in most cases are however sometimes they don't allow IE to go as high as they would like.

Well with the amount of money that Dublin Bus and IE loss, I seriously doubt there is anyone with a business or economics degree in the company. I could say there is a someone with a marketing degree, but most ads look like they were done in 5 mins on word and literally state the obvious.

Most major companies set their prices but looking at the price elasticity of demand. They see if we increase of price by x %, how much will sales fall by x%. For cigarettes companies, since they sell an addictive product with unbelievable consumer loyalty( you cant get most smokers to switch brands even with millions spent on ads). So a massive increase generally has a small fall in sales. But with milk companies, if you double your price tomorrow.No will buy your milk as everyone will buy the competitors as they are the same.

BE needs to see their price elasticity of demand eg because if they increase their prices by 10% on routes with competitors on it. Sales could fall by 20% as people move to competitors. Their fare increase to make more money, but could end up resulting in sales revenue falling as everyone switches to competitors.

Have CIE taken over the running of DublinCoach :rolleyes:

Just days off and no fares and most likely not a single advertisement of the new service!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smncnnr

Fares only seem to be available on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Fares were on site yesterday but look to have disappeared. Was 20 return Waterford-Dublin and 10 return Kk-Waterford

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Seen a few of the buses out on the M9 the past few days and at a quicky glance I've not seen any passengers on any of them :eek:
    I don't think it's been marketed all that wll yet. Apart from Facebook and comments here, I don't think the general public would know it existed yet.

road_high wrote: »
    Seen a few of the buses out on the M9 the past few days and at a quicky glance I've not seen any passengers on any of them :eek:
    I don't think it's been marketed all that wll yet. Apart from Facebook and comments here, I don't think the general public would know it existed yet.

The service started on the 16th and haven't heard anything about it in Carlow, Also the bus Éireann Waterford service is as busy as ever for the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The service started on the 16th and haven't heard anything about it in Carlow, Also the bus Éireann Waterford service is as busy as ever for the Christmas.

It's not serving Carlow though so why would it be promoted there?

It's not serving Carlow though so why would it be promoted there?
    Well people in Carlow never stopped talking about the service for months before it started and seemed to think it would finish off all other public transport in the area. just odd that nobody here has anything to say about it now that it doesn't serve Carlow.

I can't see them doing very well as the routing is kind of odd and non-direct. The timings are a work of fiction and the 007 bus to/from Clonmel already serves Kilkenny and also Naas and Kilcullen as well as Clonmel etc I don't see there being so much demand for a direct non stop service from Waterford or Bus Eireann would be putting on more extra buses on the 004 service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 VWD8

Bus Eireann have allocated higher capacity coaches to the Waterford service in recent weeks to cater for high loads.

Advertisement