Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Did this live up to the hype? Not quite

I think its more it didn't live up to the hype for you, cause I think you have been the only one that seems to be not blown away by it. Shame as I think its the equal of Road Warrior even better in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Film was a fantastic spectacle! This just has everything I dig about not only action, but films as a medium. Visual storytelling was at its core and everything else revolved around the simple set pieces that were placed nicely into position.

So many films of this genre fail were Fury Road succeeded and it has imagination and passion to thank for it. Felt more comic book than AOU and any other comic book film released in the last 5 years.

Going to see it next weekend to relive it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The first of the Mad Max comics are out this week. These are prequels which reveal a bit more about the characters from Fury Road. There's also an art book, with some stunning examples on display here http://comicsalliance.com/mad-max-fury-road-inspired-artists/

I'm still trying to figure out what Max's flashbacks in the film were about. Hopefully we'll get an answer in the comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree that Road Warrior is superior or even equal to this. Watched that for the first time the other night and it's a pretty enjoyable movie but compared to this I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was watching actors in dystopian dress-up. Good movie all the same but I wasn't anywhere near as thrilled, awestruck or moved (yes I went there!) as in this. Especially when Miller had such a bigger canvas and more possibilities with this one.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It surpasses all 3 of the old films by quite a bit imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It was alright like. I don't know exactly what I expected, but I was never truly engaged with it so to speak, the action never grabbed me. It was decent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think its more it didn't live up to the hype for you.

Well, of course. I can only speak for myself.

It would have been nigh on impossible for any film to have lived up to the level of hype that this film has had.

I did really like the film.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Im a bit of a Mad Max nerd. Watched the first 3 films countless times (Road Warrior more than the others, obviously) and while Road Warrior holds a special place in my heart, objectively, Fury Road is as good as it. I'll need to watch Fury Road a few more times to make a better judgement but it would not surprise me if I actually start liking Fury Road more than Road Warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

BMMachine wrote: »
    Im a bit of a Mad Max nerd. Watched the first 3 films countless times (Road Warrior more than the others, obviously) and while Road Warrior holds a special place in my heart, objectively, Fury Road is as good as it. I'll need to watch Fury Road a few more times to make a better judgement but it would not surprise me if I actually start liking Fury Road more than Road Warrior.

My god........

Faith+1 wrote: »
    My god........

? care to expand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

BMMachine wrote: »
    ? care to expand

I loved Fury Road but wouldn't consider it better than Road Warrior. Without letting nostalgia influence my opinion I just think it was a stronger film in terms of characters, suspense and coolness.

One thing that Fury Road wins hands down on is the sound and soundtrack.

Think this movie ruined some of the second movie for me as it had a real whiff of cosplay and pantomime at points. Honestly seeing Road Warrior after Fury Road I was reminded of this line of dialog from The Dark Knight:

thats the bit Im not sure about :p I loved Brian Mays (obviously not he of Queen) soundtrack in the original. So haunting and tragic. reminded me a lot of Holsts planets saga in parts.

There are obvious similarities and 'replacements' for characters and stuff (Nux replacing the gyro pilot being an obvious one) but the feel, the names, the setting and the action were all there. Sure a lot of it is turned up to 11 and on steroids but when in rome... Like Road Warrior is one of my favourite movies/things of all time but being objective about it, I still think Fury Road is the equal of it. The one part of Road Warrior I definitely liked better was the ending.
    When the gyro pilot pulls up to Max at the ruined tanker and the look, the nod and the smile was just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just back from it now ...Not massively blown away by it , I dont know i couldn't connect to it ,someone else back a page or two but I don't know it was good like ...but not amazing by any stretch and Hardy was awful in it nowhere near Mel Gibson was in these movies

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I watched it just there. Never seen the others but I did enjoy this one. Had a lot of badass moments that didn't feel forced. Soundtrack was spot on and yeah, it was full octane.

It's tied with Fast 6 for longest car chase :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Have loved the old Mad Max movies for years, Fury Road blows them & all other action movies out of the water! Makes Furious 7 look tame. John Wick comes close in awesomeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ktulu123 wrote: »
    John Wick comes close in awesomeness.
    To be fair John Wick was severly lacking in a Guitar Dude, thats what pips it for Mad Max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Am I the only one that thought it was completely crap? No backlog fk all story pretty linear action.. Seemd low budget..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

ktulu123 wrote: »
    yes

I'm going to put it down to being seated at the front left seat in a cramped theatre.. I will give it another whack and possibly change my opinion. Right now I found it seriously lacking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

jay-me wrote: »
    Seemd low budget..

What? How is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Do not go to see this movie in 3D. There were barely any 3D effects and so it kind of ruins the spectacle.

Having said that, the special effects and visuals in this movie are amazing. There's no plot worth talking about - just unplug your brain and enjoy the non-stop action!

Well, of course. I can only speak for myself.

It would have been nigh on impossible for any film to have lived up to the level of hype that this film has had.

I did really like the film.

For me it lived up to the hype. I was certainly a little worried about all the top reviews it was getting, but when I walked out on Sunday afternoon from my Imax screening. I knew I saw something special, this is what action cinema is all about. I thought the Raid films couldn't be topped then along comes Fury Road to show Hollywood can do it even better then Asian Cinema. I saw it again today and it was even better, I think this be topping my Best film of 2015 unless something comes along and tops it.

Just back from it now ...Not massively blown away by it , I dont know i couldn't connect to it ,someone else back a page or two but I don't know it was good like ...but not amazing by any stretch and Hardy was awful in it nowhere near Mel Gibson was in these movies

I'm sorry but Hardy was a great action hero in this, he played it exactly like Gibson with added gruff. Sorry to hear you weren't blown away by it, I worry for anyone who isn't blown away by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

How violent is it? I live in China and they would only release it here if it wasn't too over the top in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

stannis wrote: »
    How violent is it? I live in China and they would only release it here if it wasn't too over the top in that regard.

It is violent, in the sense of there being lots of death and general mayhem.

But I wouldn't classify it as being filled with brutal violence. It's surprisingly restrained in the on-screen gushing of gore. Obviously there is a bit here and there, but overall less than I had anticipated.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only criticism I had of Hardy was his accent, I think he might just not be very good at them. Other than that he was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Only criticism I had of Hardy was his accent, I think he might just not be very good at them. Other than that he was grand.

Try watching Child 44 if you think his accent is bad here! "yeysss I am rushhhan"

http://www.slashfilm.com/mad-max-masculinity/

Great piece here on the film's positive portrayal of gender on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looper007 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you weren't blown away by it, I worry for anyone who isn't blown away by this.

Can you please refrain from comments like this please? There is no film on Earth everybody is going to agree on, nobody benefits from little digs like this. Thanks.

Advertisement