Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commenting on pics - enough is enough

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Maybe if the mods of the ladies lounge have a lil chat about it via PM and see where to take it from here? before thread spirals out of control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

g'em wrote: »
    Absolutely, just don't call them that in-thread.

This is going to be a contentious issue, and I'd rather folks didn't get catty with eachother about it s'all (mostly so I can have an easy life :pac:)
    Huh? I didnt mean to imply Mordeth was an asshole. He's also right, as it happens :)

I meant the stereotype of the internet player who surfs random bebos/whatever looking for hot pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I agree with what will said but to be fair a few women leave comments on guys pics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I hope my scandalous, lycra clad pick hasn't been a catalyst for this thread :)

I wouldn't have thought that there were any sinister people on boards, everyone I have met has been really nice. Maybe I'm being naive but I think that a lot of what goes on in "ladies of the ladies lounge" is harmless banter, I can't understand how people would be threatened by it.

However, if people do believe that they are creeped out or threatened, don't post a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Will wrote: »
    Maybe if the mods of the ladies lounge have a lil chat about it via PM and see where to take it from here? before thread spirals out of control

Maybe if you'd contacted the Mods of tLL in the first place...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Yeah was considering it but wanted to try gauge some feedback to see if i was the only one annoyed by it all

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that there were any sinister people on boards, everyone I have met has been really nice. Maybe I'm being naive

Yes you are. Sinister/sleazy people have internet access too. In fact a large percentage of the moderating time on boards is taken up by having to deal with such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sure the comments to pics just a bit of tongue-in-cheek craic. I can assure you that when I compliment a picture, I'm not sweatily typing on the computer using one hand with my trousers around my ankles. That's just cumbersome.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think that a lot of what goes on in "ladies of the ladies lounge" is harmless banter, I can't understand how people would be threatened by it.

However, if people do believe that they are creeped out or threatened, don't post a picture.

That's just it, different people have different thresholds as to what threatens them or makes them uncomfortable. A comment made in jest could be taken in good spirit by the poster of the pic and she'd be fine with it. However the same comment to the next picture poster could creep her out a bit. Different strokes for different folks. We just don't want to have anybody in the latter category, that's all, and if someone isn't comfortable posting a picture at all, well that's fine too.

Yeah was considering it but wanted to try gauge some feedback to see if i was the only one annoyed by it all

Well you've opened a mighty can of worms so I want to see more opinions from users before we go and make any decisions.

I'm still not entirely sure where the majority of the complaints are to be honest.

Are the crass comments annoying people?

Is it simply that girls want to put up their picture but with no thanking/ comments allowed? And if so, frankly, why?

Are girls afraid to post their picture for fear of being judged?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what the general consensus is here, because there's a lot of differing view points.

Edit: and if certain comments annoy people, why isn't the report post function being used more often?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Yes but there's a difference between being perved on and being rated. I have full faith in the mods here (and of any of the chattier forums for that matter) that if a guy was to come on too strong or to appear threatening to a female poster, he'd be dealt with appropriately. I haven't posted a picture of myself in there as I don't want to be ranked according to how I look. That's my only issue with it. I don't feel threatened as much as intimidated by it really.

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Yes but there's a difference between being perved on and being rated. I have full faith in the mods here (and of any of the chattier forums for that matter) that if a guy was to come on too strong or to appear threatening to a female poster, he'd be dealt with appropriately. I haven't posted a picture of myself in there as I don't want to be ranked according to how I look. That's my only issue with it. I don't feel threatened as much as intimidated by it really.

And that's entirely your prerogative. There's no compulsion on anyone to post a pic, for whatever reason they choose, and we take a dim view of anyone pressurising another poster to put up a pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Zaph wrote: »
    And that's entirely your prerogative. There's no compulsion on anyone to post a pic, for whatever reason they choose, and we take a dim view of anyone pressurising another poster to put up a pic.

Of course Zaph. My point being I'm obviously not the only person who feels this way about it, given this thread is already on its third page. There are a lot of people here who've posted to agree with the OP. It's just a lil OTT at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Of course Zaph. My point being I'm obviously not the only person who feels this way about it, given this thread is already on its third page. There are a lot of people here who've posted to agree with the OP. It's just a lil OTT at the moment.
    I dont see the OP saying anything about people being judged? Or many other people for that matter. Which is what you posted about and Zaph was replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Zaph wrote: »

I have seen a bit of that actually. If someone wants to post a picture, like you say that is up to them and perhaps the vomit-inducing trail of comments that follow are part and parcel of the whole thing. But I personally believe there shud be a "careful now!" approach to people repeatedly requesting someone to post a picture.

In the cycling forum they were getting fed up with the "post images of beauty" thread, as it was getting cumbersome and littered with comments (bear in mind this is bike ogling here!) so Verb added a photo gallery page to the boards wiki. Photos only, there if people want to see them. No comments, no thanks, just pics.

Just thought I might mention it here in case you guys think it might be implementable as a solution.

Of course Zaph. My point being I'm obviously not the only person who feels this way about it, given this thread is already on its third page.

Nah, it's only the second page. 40 posts per page ftw. :)

Tbh, I've always had the feeling that more women are concerned by potential perving rather than being rated. That said, it's just my opinion, so it's good to get feedback like this as obviously my opinion, or that of my co-mods, isn't necessarily the right one and shouldn't carry any more weight than the next person's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I wasn't going to get involved but one or two comments stood out to me. Being perfectly honest here (and I probably shouldn't be) I haven't posted a pic of myself in there. I admit I haven't for fear of being 'sized up' or compared to other posters. I don't feel the need to be rated if you will, on the internet. I posted a pic once on boards, in a forum I knew comments weren't allowed. While I agree, many of the women in that thread are beautiful, I don't want my looks rated. I don't want to feel like a 'subject' to be studied and ranked according to how I look. Maybe that's just me being self conscious, I dunno but I certainly don't feel comfortable posting a picture of myself in there.
    what about if we know you in person can we judge/hit on you then???

*a joke....from back in the good old school days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

how has the it gotten any worse? In the first 3 pages of the thread there's 2 pictures from girls, and the rest of the comments are from guys. The threads always been full of sleazy losers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

What gets to me the most about (a few) threads already in tll is the constant ";);)" comments flying around after someone posts up a pic of themselves, which is usually followed by more comments and so on. Some posters just stink of desperation in some of the threads.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Some posters just stink of desperation in some of the threads.
    heh, judgemental much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

I dunno,so what's the issue here?Just the comments or what?
    I have to say I find most of them really cringey but to go so far as to say it's grating would be too much.
    Noone is making me read them after all.
    And also as I'm not a lady I really didnt feel it my place to say.
    I have recently been wondering how the Ladies put up with some of the stuff but I assumed as someone said that for the most part it was being taken as harmless banter.
    Not trying to be provoking but assuming we're all adults,is it not understood that as highly visual creatures that people are inevitably going to judge the pictures (and rank them) whether these judgements are voiced(typed) or not?
    *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

g'em wrote: »
    heh, judgemental much?

Okay, didn't mean to sound so harsh ! But thats just what i'm picking up from threads, as if some posters are commenting on pics to get somewhere..

Pyr0 wrote: »
    But thats just what i'm picking up from threads, as if some posters are commenting on pics to get somewhere..
    Ah yeah, that happens alright. But then, won't this happen regardless?

From my own personal pov I do see a lot of chat in the pictures threads, but I've usually seen it as harmless banter. We do actually delete/ clean up innapropriate posts, and what's left is what we assumed is acceptable. I guess I've been viewing the pictures threads as the Yin to the more serious Feminism/ Women in the Workplace/ Serious Wimmin's Internet Business Yang.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Will, admit it, you just want to ogle (the pix) without all the associated chatter?

Point to note: without the comments to keep the thread alive (i.e near the top of the forum listing) it would have disappeared from page one ages ago and died. And that would have meant no more new pix. :)

On a more personally sobering note, I'd be upset to think anyone found any of my comments off-colour or sleazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I had a friend in school called will he managed to get everybody in school to sign a petition so that the girls would be allowed to wear trousers if they wished. What difference did it make to his life if the girls wore trousers or skirts; none, he was hoping to and did get laid for his efforts.

I have a dream, . . . . . that if a girl has a problem with a comment made about her picture, said girl will bring the offender to task if she so wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,026 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Seems like any other popular thread tbh

Threads have survived 4000 posts without any change of rules, gets busy for a while then calms down again.
    some of the comments are a bit cringe worthy, but mostly seems to be good natured

Would be more worried about the "Who Makes You Drool? Male Form Appreciation Thread"... nearly 200000 views :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake but I saw very little perving in either the Lads or Ladies thread.

I thought everyone in it was lovely, nearly every person who posted up a pic had someone remarking on something they liked about them. Loads of women in the Ladies thread commenting on how much they liked one anothers dresses or hair. Guys on tattoos or some such thing.
    It was nice, none of that stereotypical bitchiness women are mean to be bad about, or any of the male drooling that they're meant to be terrible about.

Personally I thought the whole thing was nicely done, veritable hippy fest.

There were a few people who posted repeatedly but even then I didn't see them just fawning over the "attractive" ones and being nice to pretty much everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Meh,the pics threads dont bother me too much, I've read them once or twice and found them kinda sad :( more than anything. I think for a good few people their looking for some sort of validation on their apperance, in particularly the girl's, whose pictures are mostly all preceeded with 'hate having my pic taken' or ' My hair looks crappy in this pic' etc etc.
    Girls, stop the negativity, you all look fab and dont need to put yourselves down!If your gonna post your pic, then post it proud!

I guess what is annoying is that 'the lads/ladies of TLL' thread's are the most popular threads along with the 'Drool' thread so it feels like there is about 8 stickys on this page. With most other forums, threads have a shelf life that drop away after a bit, but those three threads have been there for what seems like years now.

I've definatly stopped writing on the ladies lounge less and less recently beacuse I feel all the same threads are recycled, and the front page of TLL seems like a time warp.. Either something to do with your other half, or the 'ladies/lads of ladies lounge' pics threads and the 'drool' thread. Its all very apperance orientated.

I would suggest either sticky them, or perhaps combine the lads and ladies pictures. Just condense them all together, so you dont have to shift through loads of insanely old threads to get to new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I don't see the point to the comments from the lads on the ladies. Is it to try and woo someone off the internet and into your bed ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Starting to really grate on me. In picture threads for example, the ladies of the ladies lounge. A girl will put up a picture, great and wahey. Then the torrents of sleazy/borderline cheese coated comments arrive. Not just 1 or 2 but a whole bunch.

It takes away from the thread and fills it with useless blather from members fawning over girls/guys. Which normally wouldn't bother me but it's the sheer amount of crap that is spouted. Biblical proportions.

If ya like what ya see why not just pop them a friendly message on their page? Or engage them in conversation in another thread? Or even a non sleazy PM? I do agree that it is only a bit of fun, but only to a point.

My hand quickly reaches for the puke bucket at some of the comments

Reminds me of myspace and having randomers just comment on pics cos they're hot. Totally and utterly pointless. Doesn't add anything.

Anyway im done ranting

Because some people dont take some internet forums as a serious place & post for fun. Its not like anyone posting things "there" going to score a girl from the internet. Dont read the threads if its such a issue for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement