Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I was out and about today and saw a load of cars with we aren't paying the household tax stickers on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wonder would this work here;)?
    The country (UK) is missing out on more than £1bn in tax as the rich and famous have registered thousands of their exclusive properties into offshore companies, it has been revealed.

Town houses, mansions, vast country estates and castles are among the 94,760 properties which have been placed offshore, according to the Land Registry.

Rock stars Mick Jagger and Ringo Starr are among many who have taken advantage of the loophole.

This morning Chancellor George Osborne promised an 'aggressive' attack on the property tax dodge by the super-rich.

It involves transferring ownership of a property to an off-shore company so when it comes to be sold the buyer purchases the company as a whole assuming de-facto ownership of the property.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116627/Taxman-denied-1bn-rich-famous-register-properties-abroad.html#ixzz1pUt3nGwj

It seems that the rich in the UK are no different from the ones here,the more you have,the less you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Biggins wrote: »
    I think we are coming close to that time when the public has finally, really had enough of the lies, spin and bullschite from our government weekly - oft times daily now.

I could be wrong and sometimes am, but I get the feeling from speaking to a lot of the public and business people daily that 'the final straw' is being reached.

Its a pity they didnt go full on with the full property tax level this year. Less people would of been fooled then. But there is only so much that people can pay out of an ever diminishing income. And there will always be a few yes men to every measure brought in.

Im guessing the ones in this thread agree with data protection laws going now. We mandated that as well no doubt.

zerks wrote: »
    Wonder would this work here;)?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116627/Taxman-denied-1bn-rich-famous-register-properties-abroad.html#ixzz1pUt3nGwj

It seems that the rich in the UK are no different from the ones here,the more you have,the less you pay.

A yes, but we are rich too, with our equity and wealth in our locked down immovable homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Big Phil's getting desperate now.
    Threatening all sorts of gestapo tactics.
    This will only make people more determined not to pay this tax.
    Keep it up folks,

DON'T REGISTER / DON'T PAY

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    A yes, but we are rich too, with our equity and wealth in our locked down immovable homes.

According to certain posters we are anyway:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Big Phil's getting desperate now.
    Threatening all sorts of gestapo tactics.
    This will only make people more determined not to pay this tax.
    Keep it up folks,

DON'T REGISTER / DON'T PAY

I spoke to a uncle of mine today he be in his late fifties, he was going to pay reluctantly, however after these recent threats he has changed his tune and now has no Intention of paying said after these these threats by phil hogan if he was to pay he felt he would be sending out a message to phil hogan make enough threats and you can bully people into paying, hogans threats will have the complete opposite effect on a lot of people.

Not sure about other counties but buses heading to Dublin from Wexford on 31st March to an anti household tax protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Not sure about other counties but buses heading to Dublin from Wexford on 31st March to an anti household tax protest.

Im def be going, I think everyone on here opposed to the household tax should make it their business on march 31st to take part in a mass picket outside the fine gael annual conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Just back from a family get together with my in laws in south Dublin.

Quite a large family gathering, and eventually conversation turned to discussing the house hold charge.

Not one person had registered nor paid for the charge, every one there wasliable though. As stated above, one uncle actually mentioned Hogan threatening to change the law to suit the party, and this made him more determined to give the govt the fingers.

Plenty of chat ref bond holders, negative equity, and paying for local services already, no one in the group could understand what this money would go to?

None (bar me) are members of boards.ie..........

The public aren't stupid guys.......

Party members posting on here are wasting there time, ordinary men and women not posting in an internet forum know where this money is going, and who its being paid to!

Don't register, don't pay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

I'm one of the minority who've paid it - or to be precise, I've paid €25 so far as I signed up to pay it quarterly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Biggins wrote: »
    I think we are coming close to that time when the public has finally, really had enough of the lies, spin and bullschite from our government weekly - oft times daily now.

I could be wrong and sometimes am, but I get the feeling from speaking to a lot of the public and business people daily that 'the final straw' is being reached.

lol, and what's going to happen when this "final straw" is reached?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Am Chile wrote: »
    Im def be going, I think everyone on here opposed to the household tax should make it their business on march 31st to take part in a mass picket outside the fine gael annual conference.

Myself and the brother are going up to it.
    Time to let them hear the people roar.

Am Chile wrote: »

my estate is exempt to the charge, FG called around a, week or so, pleading with residents to 'still register though' lol!

All they ended up doing was opening peoples eyes up to the corruption and lies that are taking place!

I'll be at that protest, and I know at least 5 of my neighbors (in an exempt estate) who'll be there too! Prob many more attending whom I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

But now you might agree they are the target because they are easy targets Why easy? Because they are locked down. Quite where you see wealth in the equity of a home im still not sure.

It's not too difficult to follow:

The wealth taxation that derives from fixed, unmovable assets like homes offer much greater security than movable wealth - which can move beyond the reach of the revenue. That's the 'easy target' aspect - and nothing wrong in that. The wealth in the equity of a home is self-evident. A minority of home owners are in some degree of negative equity - many won't be with a couple of year's recovery - and tiered property tax is at least a year away - it's a logical source of revenue, no matter how you spin it, and cry poomouth for homeowners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alastair wrote: »
    cry poomouth

Stop describing your posts through Freudian slips.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Hmmm. An irrelevance.:rolleyes: This just gets better and better....this 'property' is people's homes. Homes which did not cost the Government one cent to provide. And people are penalised for this.:confused:

How much did the government spend on your car? Nope - me neither - and yet you're presumably paying tax on the thing year after year.

Hi chucky, i'm Ghandee.

What normally happens govt's in power, when the people they're supposed to represent revolt against them?

Its coming down the tracks, and if you and the rest of the FG cronies trying to corrupt and poison this thread with your propaganda and your lies can't see it coming, its time you got your eye sight looked at, and got them looked at pronto.

Ghandee wrote: »
    my estate is exempt to the charge, FG called around a, week or so, pleading with residents to 'still register though' lol!

All they ended up doing was opening peoples eyes up to the corruption and lies that are taking place!

A sure sign of the general feeling about this. When would you ever see them knocking around doors besides the obvious time?

mikom wrote: »
    Stop describing your posts through Freudian slips.

"I know what you are, but what am I?"

okaaay.

• Advertisement

According to certain posters we are anyway:rolleyes:

The simple truth is that's the case for most homeowners.

It's not too difficult to follow:

The wealth taxation that derives from fixed, unmovable assets like homes offer much greater security than movable wealth - which can move beyond the reach of the revenue. That's the 'easy target' aspect - and nothing wrong in that. The wealth in the equity of a home is self-evident. A minority of home owners are in some degree of negative equity - many won't be with a couple of year's recovery - and tiered property tax is at least a year away - it's a logical source of revenue, no matter how you spin it, and cry poomouth for homeowners.

Your talking about a wealth from the governments point of view. But the subject of the tax has no wealth in a property they use as a home.

So, explain how a positive equity home has wealth for the owner? So tell me how an equity of 100k is worth 100k to a home owner?

And, if thats the basis of the tax, why are negative equity owners paying it? Because they are the minority, so overlook their equity and tax away anyway?

Total crap, as its the market value that will be used. This equity rubbish you keep on about is dreamland stuff. Have you looked up what equity is yet?

So far your answers have been akin to an alastair FG ar dheis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hi chucky, i'm Ghandee.

What normally happens govt's in power, when the people they're supposed to represent revolt against them?

Its coming down the tracks, and if you and the rest of the FG cronies trying to corrupt and poison this thread with your propaganda and your lies can't see it coming, its time you got your eye sight looked at, and got it looked at pronto.

I actually think it's you who needs to get their eyes checked or else maybe your head. I'm just wondering why he felt that way? I mean, is it down to the mass protests that occur daily? :pac: Is it because every single recent poll has shown support for Fine gael drop massively? :pac: Nope, it's because a lot of people on an internet forum say it's going to happen. :pac:

The simple truth is that's the case for most homeowners.

Ok now you have confirmed your thinking is away with the fairies. You have actually said that most home owners are wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Looks like the government are wanting to change data protection & privacy laws to find out who hasn't paid.They claim that over 280k have paid so far according to RTE News.
    I missed that report. Specifically which laws are they wanting to change?

dvpower wrote: »
    I missed that report. Specifically which laws are they wanting to change?

Whatever ones they feel like, mandated by us of course.

A ploy to make the 'those who registered' figures look respectable,they are some chancers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thats a good question!

I am in NO WAY suggesting it and and NOT advocating it either but during the last recession, I eventually saw some TD's (and local representatives) being treated harshly and even spat upon by members of the public.

I would not, nor will not ever do this - however I cannot say the same for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Whatever ones they feel like, mandated by us of course.
    No need to be snarky, I'm just looking for information.
    Just wondering if they're trying to get to additional data sources or if they're running into problems with the DP commissioner with the current arrangements.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    No need to be snarky, I'm just looking for information.
    Just wondering if they're trying to get to additional data sources or if they're running into problems with the DP commissioner with the current arrangements.

I wasnt actually being sarky, they are looking into changing data protection laws. Here was a report put up earlier. I thought you probably seen it.

hogan talking about it is 6th down on the news page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement