Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

At that price, just get a Herman Miller Aeron. They are super comfortable, extremely hard wearing and all round the best chair ever.

ah I am not in the market for a chair, just thought it looked sweet, bought a noble last summer and im pretty happy with it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What would you need an expensive chair for. I sit on a wicker chair similar to one below.

byholma-armchair-grey__0153946_pe312353_s3.jpg

the wicker man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

What would you need an expensive chair for. I sit on a wicker chair similar to one below.

byholma-armchair-grey__0153946_pe312353_s3.jpg

sure save yourself the money and stand up

mossym wrote: »

Ah now! People often say I'm crazy but I'm not that crazy.

I have often spent all day on a Saturday or Sunday sitting on the wicker chair and didn't once got uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Are people here happy enough buying from Scan ? specifically using the 'buy through amazon' feature on their site ?

it's a Dell monitor I'm buying so I presume the warranty would be with Dell ?

I've bought from them a few times, got my gtx 1080 from them last summer, no bother to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

jonski wrote: »
    Are people here happy enough buying from Scan ? specifically using the 'buy through amazon' feature on their site ?

it's a Dell monitor I'm buying so I presume the warranty would be with Dell ?

Bought from them plenty of times, they're pretty good to deal with as long as your item is in stock. Haven't used the pay through amazon system with them but did with Overclockers and it worked fine, plus could save a bit using parcel wizard. There was no appreciable difference with scan using parcel motel or wizard.

HDMI 2.1 looks promising with it's own adaptive sync, HDR

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

HDMI 2.1 sounds a bit too good to be true, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mossym wrote: »

Has anyone actually tried those standing desks? I just couldn't see myself standing up for a two hour session of Battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Has anyone actually tried those standing desks? I just couldn't see myself standing up for a two hour session of Battlefield.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    HDMI 2.1 sounds a bit too good to be true, no?

No, I'd say it is all true. It will be quite some time before we see a graphics card with a HDMI 2.1 socket though I'd say.

I wonder how good it's adaptive sync is compared to g-sync or freesync.

i was on the multicompany panel/technical group developing and defining the new HDMI standards for a year. you wouldn't believe how long it takes to get the specs agreed for each version released, and the work that goes into each one.

yes, for work, not for gaming. they work very well,get used to them very quickly, and when i tried one could swap from standing to sitting in minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wheres goddamn moores law when you need it :pac:

s7ZVf98.png

** If you adjust for USD->GBP thats probably a flat chart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I'm absolutely seething with Overclockers. I ordered a B Grade PG278Q from them in October. Didn't get to use it much for the first month and then realised that it would take forever to turn on, like the power brick had to heat up or something. On top of that, there was a constant flickering on the screen that is a common issue with the model.

Their B Grade items only have 3 months warranty and I RMA'ed it with about a week of warranty to go. Finally got it back after about a month and it still takes ages to turn on, as well as the flickering being worse now, making anything above 60fps impossible. Is there anything I can do, since it's gone past warranty?

Lads I'm absolutely seething with Overclockers. I ordered a B Grade PG278Q from them in October. Didn't get to use it much for the first month and then realised that it would take forever to turn on, like the power brick had to heat up or something. On top of that, there was a constant flickering on the screen that is a common issue with the model.

Their B Grade items only have 3 months warranty and I RMA'ed it with about a week of warranty to go. Finally got it back after about a month and it still takes ages to turn on, as well as the flickering being worse now, making anything above 60fps impossible. Is there anything I can do, since it's gone past warranty?

Get onto Asus customer support is the best option.

If I'm reading it right, you RMA'd it within warranty and it arrived back still faulty? I'd just go for a refund then, OCUK are usually good to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

If I'm reading it right, you RMA'd it within warranty and it arrived back still faulty? I'd just go for a refund then, OCUK are usually good to deal with.

Yes I RMA'd it within warranty and just got it back last week, with the problems even worse than before. I have asked them for a refund so hoping they will agree. Thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,904 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Yes I RMA'd it within warranty and just got it back last week, with the problems even worse than before. I have asked them for a refund so hoping they will agree. Thanks for your advice.

Generally with warranty if you RMA something inside the period, and it is still the same issue, then that would be covered.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Headshot wrote: »

Tweaktown has pop ups because of ad-blocker. Another site not to visit so :/

Really hope AMD pull something serious off here. Early benches show they have Intel by the scruff. CPU market needs a bit of a shakeup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cherryghost if you have ublock origin go to options, third party filters, Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek and turn that on.

:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cherryghost if you have ublock origin go to options, third party filters, Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek and turn that on.

:D

Yeah I know but for morals I wont use them anymore :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

So I recently moved house and do not own a TV - So I have been using my QNIX QX2710 as a TV for the time being..

I'm really missing having a second monitor so I've been in the market for a new TV in the last few weeks but don't want so spend too much:
    1. Can't be anything higher than a 32" as it will not fit into my corner unit
    2. Must have a thin Bezel
    3. Must be 1080p or better
    4. Must have at least two HDMI slots

I had a look in soundstore / tesco but haven't been impressed so far with the prices for what I'm getting.. I have been trying to keep an eye on DoneDeal / Adverts for decent second hand TVs but again nothing catching my eye..

So now I'm wondering if I would be better off getting a replacement 27" 1440p monitor instead as it could potentially work out cheaper, especially if I get one of the Korean ones again..

It has been a few years since I last looked into the Korean monitors (QNIX, XStar, Catleap,etc.) - Are there any go-to sellers or brands that people are opting for nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Worth keeping an eye on DID electrical for a deal on a TV, I know its not quite Cork :P but Arnotts have some decent deals:

http://www.arnotts.ie/panasonic-smart-full-hd-40-inch-led-tv/422503/979650100100

Looking at a new TV as well, and the Panasonics are well decent.

I think all the lower end model Panasonic's like the above are just rebadged Vestel (similar to Bush/Walker/similar brands), so they're not great sets.

I know the Chinese brand 'Hisense' are also quite cheap on Amazon but by all accounts they're a decent step above the likes of your average low-end TV.

A 27" 1440P panel would probably give you much better quality for the money as a screen really, especially when you're limited to 32" in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Danger are we to assume you dont have any need for a tuner(Saorview) then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lads, has anyone here bought from the US? Any idea of how customs are calculated? Spent ages on revenue.ie, strugling to find a simple overview of how it works.

I managed to break my work laptop screen, HP but want €890 to repair :eek:
    A brand new full screen assembly on ebay from the US costs $420 excluding shipping...

If I buy this through my business, I assume I'm Vat exempt (I'm Vat registered)? What can I expect to pay re. duties etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement