Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Just wanted to update you that I asked at my latest midwife consultation about lactation consultants / breastfeeding support groups and it's not something she has ever heard of? In Denmark it's the norm to breastfeed (bottle feeding would be in the minority) so perhaps they don't see a need for it??
    She did say that the midwives and nurses would be on hand during my few days in the hospital, to help with the breastfeeding - but I didn't find them great last time. Let's hope it just 'works' for me this time!!

Try googling La Leche League Denmark. They're a global organisation so maybe they're there. If not, you could still ring them for advice - now for preparation and when babs is here anytime you have a question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Oh god I think I've got mastitis. Really sore swollen boob with a lump and feeling sore all over and shivering. I'm applying heat to the affect boob at the minute. Really hate going to the doctor but I've heard it needs an antibiotic. Is this correct?

Baby has just finished feeding from that side now. Doesn't feel full but do I need to pump as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Definitely doc for mastitis and feed feed feed from the affected side: best thing for it. Hope you feel better soon x if you feel boob is empty no need to pump

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Boardusername

Nead21 wrote: »
    Oh god I think I've got mastitis. Really sore swollen boob with a lump and feeling sore all over and shivering. I'm applying heat to the affect boob at the minute. Really hate going to the doctor but I've heard it needs an antibiotic. Is this correct?

Baby has just finished feeding from that side now. Doesn't feel full but do I need to pump as well?

Hi,
    Try to get to doctor ASAP. It is important to get it on the early stage. Apply heat , massage breast from base towards nipple and feed/pump after.
    I sent you some useful info about mastitis by PM.
    Good luck.Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yes see a doc and you need to just take to the bed with your baby and feed, feed, feed. Baby is best for helping clear it up. You need to rest too so stay in bed as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 nettie1

Reflux/over feeding??
    Hi ladies, I'm all confused and could do with a bit if advice/reassurance. My 4 week old was diagnosed with reflux last week and put on Zantac. I was told that I was very lucky to have a gp so on the ball as it often goes undiagnosed. She did well for a couple of days and then went back to her former glory - puking, not sleeping, crying. So I rang the doctor and am being sent to a paediatric clinic today. My concern is that it may not be reflux but over supply. I'd hate to go down the medical route and ply my daughter with drugs if I don't need to. I've been reading others' experiences and they seem a lot more severe than mine, although there were days where I got no sleep and I've a constant pain in my jaw from grinding my teeth in my sleep over the stress of it so maybe it is that bad. When she gets 5 quiet minutes I wonder am I exaggerating the problem.
    A lady from La Leche League told me it could well be over supply. I never even heard of that til this week. What a dose. I thought once mammy could provide milk and baby could receive milk it should be plain sailing. Now I'm told that breast feeding, which I was delighted to be able to do, could be the very thing making my baby miserable!! I'm a first time mum and I find it very disheartening. I feed on demand. Baby usually feeds really quickly, usually only on one side, which helps. Her weight gain is average but she has dirty and wet nappies constantly. She dirties her nappy while we're changing her or within a few minutes of changing her. Is that normal? The nappy is a mustardy colour. She's had nappy rash for weeks. We've tried Vaseline, sudocrem, bepanthen and caldesene, pampers sensitive wipes, water wipes and cotton wool with water, to no avail. It's very red and raw.
    My husband hates to see us both struggling and wonders if we should resort to bottles. I'd be disappointed but I have to ask myself who am I breastfeeding for and what's best for baby. Spending the first 3/4 months crying cannot be best surely. But maybe it really is reflux! Oh my head! Any advice/ comments please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Nettie1 I wanted to reply after reading your post however I don't really have that much advice. Sounds like you are going through a really tough time. Have you considered if your baby is intolerant to something ....the nappy rash that won't go, especially with such a young baby, would lead me to thinking that. My SIL's baby has silent reflux and she went off dairy thinking mAybe he is lactose intolerant however the doc said if he was intolerant to something it would show on his body and mostly in the form of a nappy rash that won't go.
    I hope you get some answers and good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Nettie I didn't breastfeed but do have a silent reflux baby. It took a while for us to get dosages right and I know from other mums that's pretty common. There's a Facebook group for surviving reflux Ireland and you'd likely find someone there breastfeeding who may be able to advise

So went to doctor yesterday and definitely have mastitis. Started an antibiotic and my mam has taken my toddler so I can rest. Im already starting to feel a bit better. Taking this as my body telling me I can't do everything right now and I need to slow down.

Thanks for advice and information

Netting there are other mums on here that I'm sure have dealt with oversupply. I think that it's the fast let down that can cause problems. Maybe try hand expressing into a muslin cloth before you feed that way the baby won't get the full force of the let down.

Regarding the reflux. If the baby does have it then bottles aren't going to cure it. I agree with what was said about the nappy rash. Could be a sign of an intolerance. Try switching to soya milk for a while and cut out cheese. To help with the rash try weleda nappy cream. You get it in the chemist and I always find it the best.

I completely understand you're frustration. It's very hard to deal with a screaming unhappy baby. My own 6 week old finds it hard to get wind up and I feel like he's been crying nonstop. It's very upsetting.

Another poster recommended www.kellymom. com and it has good information which might help. Oh and dirtying the nappy straight after a change is completely normal. Happens all the time here :-)

• Advertisement

Dont have time to reply fully but theres a BF solution for every BF problem. Would you contact a lactation consultant for help?

A short term solution for oversupply is to hand express some milk (into cloth or sink) before you feed baby. Look up foremilk hindmilk imbalance to explain why the hand expressing might work. Too much foremilk can lead to baby taking in loads of liquid and some puking. And it can cause nappy rash. Sometimes it can be happen if the latch is not 100% right. Your supply might settle after the 6 week mark though.

I had oversupply and got through it with help of a LC. I'll reply again later if I can.

You're doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

I had oversupply too and fast let down and know how you're feeling. I would look at my baby struggling and think how I was causing this and that breastfeeding was supposed to be the best for her but it was causing her all this pain. She was taking in so much air when feeding that it was causing trapped wind, her poor little belly was hard as a rock and she would scream when laid flat. When I looked for advice I was told that she wouldn't take in air if her latch was good but I knew that wasn't it, I couldn't get gaviscon into her, she'd just spit it out. What I found to work was trying to keep her as upright as possible when feeding, hand expressing a bit before feeding to avoid the rush of let down, really good winding after a feed and laying her on her side with a rolled up cellular blanket at her back to prevent her rolling onto her back and sticking an Argos catalogue under the legs of the cot at one end to raise the head so she wasn't entirely flat. I know it doesn't help you now, but it really does get better week by week as they get bigger and better able to handle their suck and swallow. Mind yourself, oversupply will make you more prone to mastitis and blocked ducts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Nettie I was having similar problems to you when my little girl was a newborn, my gp advised me to try cutting out dairy and it has worked wonders. All of her constant spewing and gassiness disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nettie1

Thanks for all the support and advice. It's great, just what I needed. We'll try out yer suggestions. The doc was more concerned about her nappy rash than her reflux! She's to be kept nappy free for 30 mins 4 times per day. Do any of ye have any suggestions how to do this without destroying myself or the furniture. It's all fine until she needs to be fed or winded, and when she poops and wees in the middle of it I definitely think I'm short a few limbs, three or four more needed for sure!!

Maybe pop her on a couple of towels for a bit after changing her nappy? Definitely try the weleda cream though. It worked wonders for my son when he had a few really nasty nappy rashes when he was teething.

Back again. Would you ask a LC to check the latch to make sure it is as good as possible? If you don't want to do that, the leader at a LLL or Cuidiu meeting might evaluate feeding for you to see if they have any suggestions.

Could be latch problem, tongue tie, over active let down.

Hand expressing the first bit of milk worked for me until baby's latch improved enough to reduce the over supply.

And also breast compressions help to make sure baby empties the boob which means they get the fat needed to digest the lactose in the fore milk and prevents discomfort. Google jack newman breast compressions for how to do them.

For nappy rash, I was lucky that Caldescene powder worked for me.

Lots of towels maybe if going nappy free? They can always be washed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been using metanium for nappy rash, it's brilliant, it's only available in the UK, but if you're in doubling I can give you some? Have boxes of it.

We'd a terrible time with reflux. Gaviscon was useless and trying to get 15ml into an already full baby was a nightmare. We used gripe water at the worst weeks and it made a difference. Switching to bottles will probably just make it worse, as more air is sucked in, and formula is so much harder to digest. It doesn't last forever, C grew out of it by 14 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

HI all

what do you do at night between feeds, to stop yourself leaking and to stay comfortable? Do you wear a bra/breast pads and if so, what's the best type of bra to use - a good big sports bra that doesn't have any lace/wires etc. or a typical nursing bra? Or do some of you just sleep topless (is that possible?)

I remember from my previous attempts at breastfeeding that I never really found a good solution and was a bit uncomfortable. Am just trying to prepare as best as I can this time, to try to make breastfeeding a success.

Thanks

I wear a sleep bra which is really soft and doesn't feel like you're wearing a bra. I think I got them in mamas and papas.

• Advertisement

I have penny's nursing bras which I use. Also use the lansinoh pads to stop the leaking. Tried the Johnson and Johnson ones recently as I had run out but found them awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

+1 to the lanisoh pads, they hold a huge amount of liquid! They are also on special in boots right now. I wear nursing bras from m&s all day and night. They are more like sports bras but very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Any recommended apps for tracking breastfeeding? I'm so forgetful these days I can barely remember what happened 2 hours ago! Would be good to be able to keep track easily.

Dobbit wrote: »
    Any recommended apps for tracking breastfeeding? I'm so forgetful these days I can barely remember what happened 2 hours ago! Would be good to be able to keep track easily.

I use mammababy which I find really good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Baby Feed by Fehners - it tracks everything! Each boob, nappies, solids, reminders, etc etc. I still use it for each feed :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dobbit wrote: »

find feed baby great. especially as I can track medicines and growth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

Nead21 wrote: »

Janey, I feel your pain, Was hospitalised with really bad mastitis and terrible fever and yep, fed through it, really tough but it works. Paracetamol too and heat....Genuinely, cabbage leaves worked a treat on a few occasions, apparrently its the sulphur content,despite being a weird one........I also blasted myself with and massaged any mastitis lumps under a hot shower, that always helped too. But if you're getting shivery, its time for the doc. May just be a blocked duct too...but unlikely........HOpe you are feeling better v soon and remember an antibiotic isn't the worst thing ( I had loads when breastfeeding). Never bothered babs.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Genuinely, cabbage leaves worked a treat on a few occasions, apparrently its the sulphur content,despite being a weird one........

I thought cabbage leaves are a no no if you want to continue breastfeeding as they can dry up your milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Ugh woke up this morning with a bad dose of mastitis. I've had mild doses of it before but feeding always does the trick so when I felt it coming on last night I didn't think much of it. But typical sods law, the baby slept right through last night for the first time ever and so did I because I was knackered so woke up this morning twice as bad with a mild temperature. Gonna keep feeding and try blasting with hot water in the shower. Is there anything else I can do? Will cabbage leaves dry up my milk? Is it better to take paracetamol or ibuprofen for it?

• Advertisement

Ugh woke up this morning with a bad dose of mastitis. I've had mild doses of it before but feeding always does the trick so when I felt it coming on last night I didn't think much of it. But typical sods law, the baby slept right through last night for the first time ever and so did I because I was knackered so woke up this morning twice as bad with a mild temperature. Gonna keep feeding and try blasting with hot water in the shower. Is there anything else I can do? Will cabbage leaves dry up my milk? Is it better to take paracetamol or ibuprofen for it?

Ibuprofen (eg neurofen) because it reduces the swelling. Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse and not better then u should probably go to a doctor cos u might need an antibiotic. Feed and hand express as much as u can. Apply heat and massage before u feed to get the milk flowing. But after u feed, keep the area cold so that the boobs aren't stimulated to make more milk.

Advertisement