Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The "prog purists" are really not going to like Permanating, then:

:cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

hahaha some of the reactions are hilarious.

This album is clearly for him, if anyone else happens to enjoy it, well great.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Even though it's perhaps more overtly pop than before, I don't see Permanating as the surprise some are making it out to be. Many of his songs over the years have had strong pop sensibilities, he's actually very adept at this kind of songwriting.

I like all the songs released so far, bar Song of I. I don't hate it but I feel it's the weakest melodically, even though the Trip-Hop influence makes it interesting to listen to otherwise.

Pariah is a very nice song, well structured. Nice build and release to it.

The Same Asylum as Before is my favourite of the four. There are moments in the song that feel very reminiscent of Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream album (probably my favourite PT record). Also really like the guitar, a typical spacey solo and the strong drive and layering of riffs towards the end. Great energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Is he trying to get radio play?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

He's not trying to do anything other than write an album...that's it.

He loves Kate Bush, Abba etc. Sophisticated pop.

He writes his music, releases it and if people like em, so be it. He's furrowed through "prog" and all it's backward looking trappings for years now. I love the fact he's just doing what he wants. With no record company sticking their oar in, he has that freedom due to the natural building up of a following he's done through the decades.

Some man.

• Advertisement

Well. Break out the good headphones for this one. SW has cited Talk Talk as an influence, particularly The Colour of Spring, and he called up Mark Feltham, who played harmonica on that album, for Refuge. The guitar solo is by producer Paul Stacey, with SW on the synth solo.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

I'm in London on the 19th, I might just head up to St Albans and get him to sign the new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Quality album, the lad can't do bad albums!

Looking forward to giving it a listen later

Been giving this a spin today and it veers more toward his mellow and poppier side though his prog inclinations do tend to permeate throughout making it unmistakably a Steven Wilson recording.

• Advertisement

Really enjoying it on first listening.

Maybe not quite as much as the last 2 albums, but still fantastic.

Can't help but think of Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream when listening to this album. Liking it the more I listen to it.

Passenger wrote: »
    Liking it the more I listen to it.

Was about to post the same myself. Finding myself appreciating new aspects of it with every listen.

Still a lot of mixed reaction on social media to it. One particular comment ("It is NOT prog. Therefore i will never buy it.") really made me laugh.

There's a chance it might get SW his first UK no. 1, would be delighted for him it it happens.

Good interview on Innerviews with a couple of new bits of info. Dave Kilminster won't be on the tour next year, since he's off backing Roger Waters. The new guitarist is Alex Hutchings, who has a YouTube channel here. To my ear he's from a similar guitar teacher / super-sesssion background as Guthrie, but also has a Holdsworth-style fusion thing going on at times, which is only good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Tickets arrived for his march gig last week starting to get excited for this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hot tube productions

Me too!!!

I had a look at the Setlist last night, was a bit underwhelmed. Looked again this morning, found it had been updated. Won't post it to spoil for others, but it looks very good. Should be a great show

I see he's playing
    Arriving Somewhere
    in the latest shows. Really hope he plays it here!

Setlist overall is top notch.

One week to go, folks. I didn't realise when I booked it that next Monday is a Bank Holiday Monday, though I have to work the next day.

Anyone up for a pint before the gig? I like the basement bar at Yamamori Izakaya - not the restaurant, the place across the road - which is about 5 mins walk from the Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Heading to the Belfast gig on Paddy's day , then Dublin on the Mon. Hoping to hear the alternating sets he's been doing ... Max PT & SW :cool:

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    Heading to the Belfast gig on Paddy's day , then Dublin on the Mon. Hoping to hear the alternating sets he's been doing ... Max PT & SW :cool:

How was the gig?

^ Superb ... first time in Mandella Hall - nice little venue.

The gig itself was outstanding - excellent sound, great setlist (although I would have preferred if he dropped Prince's Sign Of The Times for more PT)

Visuals are great - the opening film is clever and the front stage curtain is back with excellent projections beamed onto it at various stages of the show.

Blundell and Hutchings do a great job replacing Minnemann and Govan (but never quite hit their heights - who can !).

New material blended well with his older stuff and PT with the exception of Permanating which is ill fitting in the set (but that could be just me as I'm not a fan of the song).

Not a spoiler ... but Even Less was not the version we expected. :)

Can't wait for tonight - get in your seats on time ... gonna be epic :cool:

RayCon wrote: »
    ^ Superb ... first time in Mandella Hall - nice little venue.

The gig itself was outstanding - excellent sound, great setlist (although I would have preferred if he dropped Prince's Sign Of The Times for more PT)

Visuals are great - the opening film is clever and the front stage curtain is back with excellent projections beamed onto it at various stages of the show.

Blundell and Hutchings do a great job replacing Minnemann and Govan (but never quite hit their heights - who can !).

New material blended well with his older stuff and PT with the exception of Permanating which is ill fitting in the set (but that could be just me as I'm not a fan of the song).

Not a spoiler ... but Even Less was not the version we expected. :)

Can't wait for tonight - get in your seats on time ... gonna be epic :cool:

Is it an 8pm start yeah? Very excited....then I read this and it's just great.

Mushy wrote: »
    Is it an 8pm start yeah? Very excited....then I read this and it's just great.

Yeah Mushy ... he came on pretty much bang on 8pm ... there's a 20min interval in the middle of the gig. Enjoy the show man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Fizzy with excitement!!!!!

I've seen SW twice before in the UK, but both times with really bad seats. This time: 5th row. I'm going to try to get there fairly early so I can get a drink in the Olympia bar first - never tried that before.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mind. Blown.....

10/10

The best.

I've a few gigs lined up for the rest of the year, I cannot imagine any of them coming close to last night. Epic is all I can say.

27038689808_e1298a08bf_c.jpg

26036961297_a75274e04d_c.jpg

40201047604_595d143fb4_c.jpg

27038682308_12cf8290dd_c.jpg

27038684828_e64a020481_c.jpg

27038688338_2e1a4f4103_c.jpg

39099819940_a355920f4f_c.jpg

40867456172_4288e544b7_c.jpg

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    10/10

The best.

Thanks for the pre sale code last year :)

Advertisement