Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght not as bad as you think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Tallaght is a festering cesspool of lazy, dole scroungers unmarried mothers fleecing the soical welfare system, fatherless, feral scumbags who have an air of entitlement and exist in a consequence free environment. Tallaght is a hotbed of innate criminality.

If the people of Tallaght had any regard for the place (they don't) they wouldn't let the hordes of young thugs wander round in their tracksuits like it was an olympic village. The people of Tallaght don't live they exist.

Wow. And what makes where you're from any better? Im sure your area has downsides too and talk about sweeping generalisations! Not everyone from Tallaght is as you described above. The majority of people i've encountered who live in Tallaght are hard working, friendly, modest and law abiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Tallaght is a festering cesspool of lazy, dole scroungers unmarried mothers fleecing the soical welfare system, fatherless, feral scumbags who have an air of entitlement and exist in a consequence free environment. Tallaght is a hotbed of innate criminality.

If the people of Tallaght had any regard for the place (they don't) they wouldn't let the hordes of young thugs wander round in their tracksuits like it was an olympic village. The people of Tallaght don't live they exist.

Also damn kids are on my lawn and stuff costs more than it used to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

ricero wrote: »
    I did my driving test twice and Tallaght and failed both times.
    All I can say is its an awful place to do your driving test.

I did it in Rathgar after that and passed! So if you wanna do your driving test in Dublin, do it in Rathgar!

I did mine in Tallaght and passed with flying colours first time. You can't blame Tallaght for your bad driving... or English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Yup, I realised that typo after I posted it, couldn't be bothered going back and editing it...
    ntlbell wrote: »
    there's no shame in having to make 3 attempts at a driving test.

the roads are full of bad drivers.

I'll accept the first time I was doing my test, I was only driving for 2 months and I didn't even have my own car so I wasn't expecting to pass anyway.
    The second time, I was a much better driver but the examiner was an absolute prick!! He was a grumpy old man who just wanted to fail me. I was pretty pissed off...

Third time in Rathgar I had a nice lady who passed me... So it was all good!!
    If only my car's battery hadn't gone flat, I'ld like to go on a nice drive sometime... I like the weather like this. Not too cold, a bit of rain and such...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

NothingMan wrote: »
    ricero wrote: »

I did mine in Tallaght and passed with flying colours first time. You can't blame Tallaght for your bad driving... or English.

me too. It was my bike test and i was warned your man was a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Tallaght is a festering cesspool of lazy, dole scroungers unmarried mothers fleecing the social welfare system, fatherless, feral scumbags who have an air of entitlement and exist in a consequence free environment. Tallaght is a hotbed of innate criminality.

Get a grip on yourself mr orlando, Tallaght is not just a suberb its a mini city and as in all cities you get all types of people,for you to be generalising about the people of tallaght is just ridiculous and unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'll accept the first time I was doing my test, I was only driving for 2 months and I didn't even have my own car so I wasn't expecting to pass anyway.
    The second time, I was a much better driver but the examiner was an absolute prick!! He was a grumpy old man who just wanted to fail me. I was pretty pissed off...

[/quotes]

What's any of that got to with tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Third time in Rathgar I had a nice lady who passed me... So it was all good!!
    If only my car's battery hadn't gone flat, I'ld like to go on a nice drive sometime... I like the weather like this. Not too cold, a bit of rain and such...

How did you know the grumpy old man was from tallaght,and as has been said already you pass or fail on your ability to drive , nothing else.

Glad your enjoying the weather, ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmmm

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    How did you know the grumpy old man was from tallaght,and as has been said already you pass or fail on your ability to drive , nothing else.

Glad your enjoying the weather, ;)
    Dunno, he might not have been from there, most people I know who did their driving test in Tallaght failed and then they managed to pass somewhere else.

Dunno, he might not have been from there, most people I know who did their driving test in Tallaght failed and then they managed to pass somewhere else.

nonsense.

Or you know a hell of a lot of bad drivers.

nonsense.

Or you know a hell of a lot of bad drivers.

But then they do their test somewhere else and pass...

But then they do their test somewhere else and pass...

What point are you trying to make?

the vast majority I know all passed on the first, myself included in Tallaght.

Maybe we just associate with different standard of drivers?

I really don't know where you're going with this.

^neither do I at this point..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What point are you trying to make?

the vast majority I know all passed on the first, myself included in Tallaght.

Maybe we just associate with different standard of drivers?

I really don't know where you're going with this.

Tallaght has a 41% pass rate just so you know.

(That said Rathgar's is only 30.6%!)
    Source

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    Tallaght has a 41% pass rate just so you know.

(That said Rathgar's is only 30.6%!)
    Source

myth shattered then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Myself and all my sisters (6 of them anyway, one of them's only 13) passed first time in Tallaght, we all had lessons and pretests from the same, very good instructor so our driving would have all been similar.

I've heard of people failing for very slight mistakes that were grade 3 but I don't think any examiners set out to fail people.

Myself and all my sisters (6 of them anyway, one of them's only 13) passed first time in Tallaght, we all had lessons and pretests from the same, very good instructor so our driving would have all been similar.

I've heard of people failing for very slight mistakes that were grade 3 but I don't think any examiners set out to fail people.

people will look to blame anything than accept their own incompetence, including bad drivers blaming one of the largest housing estates in europe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Know a few people from Tallaght, knew them through one guy I went to school with, and I was told about how "dodgy" and "dangerous" the area was - personally I never had a problem and I would have went there, weekly, for about four years or so. Have received more violence directed towards me in my local McDonalds

And anyone who think's they know a scumbag or that Tallaght is a bad area needs to visit a council estate in the UK...that will change your mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

To settle the Kilnamanagh thing, it was at one stage (years ago) Europes biggest private housing estate. Don't think it is anymore.

Pinetree is the council housing sub-estate.

It also has its fair share of drugs, violence and scum, but it's generally a nice area.

Good local primary schools, good amenities and good public transport routes.

The only thing it lacks is its own fast food takeaway place. We have to rely on the ones in Tallaght Village, Tymon North or Kingswood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

To settle the Kilnamangh thing, it was at one stage (years ago) Europes biggest private housing estate. Don't think it is anymore.

Exactly ,private ,some posters were calling it a council estate.Anyone that knows Kilnamanagh knows it's a private estate ,some houses are still upwards of 300k there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Worked there many a year

Sh1th0le!

Forget tallaght ,what about Lucan.Adamstown slap bang in the middle ,full of council and affordable housing and private houses with the odd traveller accommodation thrown in for good measure.It's a nice area at the moment(because it's empty) but one could argue that it's the new tallaght ,give it 20 years and we'll see.I personally think it will be a big shit hole.Nielstown ,Lucan ,Adamstown they all blend in together as one big area.It will be a human wildlife park as one other poster put it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I'm not setting out to criticise everyone who slags off Tallaght. Some have lived here and had bad experiences and that's fair. It's just the people who have never been here or visited once and declared it a horrible place is what annoys me. I love living here, I can't say I'll be living here for the rest of my life but I'd endorse it to others. However, judging from the replies to this thread, Tallaght seems like Marmite: you either love it or you hate it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I'm not setting out to criticise everyone who slags off Tallaght. Some have lived here and had bad experiences and that's fair. It's just the people who have never been here or visited once and declared it a horrible place is what annoys me. I love living here, I can't say I'll be living here for the rest of my life but I'd endorse it to others. However, judging from the replies to this thread, Tallaght seems like Marmite: you either love it or you hate it :D
    Tallaght is like a bad blow job, it's not great, but it'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Domo230 wrote: »
    I used to live near the square and hated the place with a passion.

Thats what happens when you get caught shop lifting. We have your picture Domo, Your barred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

got attacked in Tymon, Jobstown, Brookfield etc

I'm not fond of Tallaght but I have family from Tallaght nicest people you
    could ever meet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

I ended up in Tallaght a few times when I was a teenager. A few things happened to me while there:

Got jumped on by about a dozen Travellers while leaving the cinema in the square with a girlfriend.

One night I had three bicycles and a cinder block thrown at me by some kids and was then hit with a metal bar of some sort. When they had thrown the bikes at me they got worried about them and told me to leave their bikes alone.

Went into Jobstown with another girlfriend to her house on Hallowe'en and on fields the size of, say, the centre or Stephen's Green, there were three or four bonfires.

I haven't been there much in the past few years but the times I had were grand and I had no bother at all. I was also mostly at house parties in the homes of close friends. Also, some of the soundest people I've ever met are from Tallaght.

Tallaght is just TOO big to say "it's a **** hole"

The vast majority of Tallaght is as safe as anywhere else and there's some lovley areas like old balwn/milbrook/alesbury/homelawn/watergate/bancroft/glenview I could go on.

There is some sections of it that have a large amount of scoial behaviour but with somewhere as big as Tallaght and how Tallaght was built this is to be expected but even the less desirable areas are not that bad.

What people regard as anti social behaviour comapred to what goes on in parts of London/Liverpool/Manchester etc is childs play tbh.

Funnily enough after 25 or so years living in Tallaght the only place I was "attacked" was in the posh suburb of knocklyon D 16 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The vast majority of Tallaght is as safe as anywhere else and there's some lovley areas like old balwn/milbrook/alesbury/homelawn/watergate/bancroft/glenview I could go on.

There is some sections of it that have a large amount of scoial behaviour but with somewhere as big as Tallaght and how Tallaght was built this is to be expected but even the less desirable areas are not that bad.

What people regard as anti social behaviour comapred to what goes on in parts of London/Liverpool/Manchester etc is childs play tbh.

Funnily enough after 25 or so years living in Tallaght the only place I was "attacked" was in the posh suburb of knocklyon D 16 :rolleyes:

Knocklyon is not posh. And NOWHERE in Tallaght is "lovely". To say either is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    Knocklyon is not posh. And NOWHERE in Tallaght is "lovely". To say either is ridiculous.

Stop embarrassing yourself ,Belgard is lovely and so is Kingswood as is Kilnamanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Tallaght doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets imo. There are 1 or 2 estates that could be a little bit dodgey but compared to other supposed 'rougher' areas in Dublin, it's mild.

The square is a bit of an eyesore though, it has to be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Calibos wrote: »
    FYP :D

I live around the corner from the station and I hear of more trouble at Shankill station than Bray tbh.

Bray may be an example of local government incompetance, of wasted potential and the whole place could do with some demolitions and a few coats of paint etc :D but I wouldn't live anywhere else. I think for the 4th largest town/city in Ireland with a population of over 33,000 we have less scumbag problems than would normally be expected for a town our size. Do you see a lot of the trackie wearing demographic about the place? Yes indeed, but ours seem to be better behaved than a lot of towns.

lol fair enough, i think im working a pharmacy too long that attracts the local scumbag element:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tallaght gets a bad rep unfairly in my opinion. It's a huge suburb - around 90,000 population and measures about 7km by 5 km in size.

North Tallaght - places like Kingswood, Kilnamanagh - is the nicest part of Tallaght. East and South Tallaght - Ailsbury, Bancroft, Millbrook - are also fine.

It's West Tallaght that gives Tallaght its bad name - places like Killinarden, Fettercairn, Jobstown. These are rough and deprived areas but only make up about a third or less of the entirety of Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

No it's not, Cos this place is bigger:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Wouldn't get this in Clontarf ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I ended up in Tallaght a few times when I was a teenager. A few things happened to me while there:

Got jumped on by about a dozen Travellers while leaving the cinema in the square with a girlfriend.

One night I had three bicycles and a cinder block thrown at me by some kids and was then hit with a metal bar of some sort. When they had thrown the bikes at me they got worried about them and told me to leave their bikes alone.

Went into Jobstown with another girlfriend to her house on Hallowe'en and on fields the size of, say, the centre or Stephen's Green, there were three or four bonfires.

I haven't been there much in the past few years but the times I had were grand and I had no bother at all. I was also mostly at house parties in the homes of close friends. Also, some of the soundest people I've ever met are from Tallaght.

Do you just ride birds from Tallaght ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭amacca

Wow......intelligent little thugs aren't they....next they will be throwing their wallets and playstations at people.

You should have challenged them to a game of chess.

If they threw a bicycle at me it would be returned to them resembling a wheelchair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Tallaght is great.

Yes, there are some areas that are bad, but that's what happens when you build massive housing estates and wait years before providing proper amenities.

As someone said, generally loyal people who'd do everything they could for you if you ever needed help.

I'll take that over an inflated sense of entitlement found in other "better" areas.
    Yes. But what about the smell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Its hard to take one area of Dublin into a stereotype these days, with gangland crime and acts of rage and murder becoming increasingly high in alot of areas. When I hear of tourists coming here I feel worried sometimes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some guy I don't know from Tallaght tried to add me on Facebook recently - naturally I hurriedly pressed ignore and washed my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

"Tallaght not as bad as you think" :D

LOL

The OP should be the tourism minister for Afghanistan.......

"Visit Kabul this summer.... you'll have a blast!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I think the main sign of how good or bad an area is, is how comfortable a non-resident would be walking around it, not a person who has grown up there or visits their relatives friends etc.

Using this as a yardstick, most of East Tallaght (village, Kingswood, IT, Belgard Road) would be alright. I don't know much about Aylesbury so I really can't say. Tymon and Old Bawn are quite rough at the edges but I don't think they're as bad as they used to be. I'd be pretty uncomfortable in Kilnamanagh to be honest. Now Killinarden is somewhere I definately would not be going into if I wasn't from the area. The Springfield area is pretty nice from what I can see.

West Tallaght is a place I can honestly say I wouldn't venture into at all. Fettercairn and Jobstown are just areas I wouldn't go near. A mate of mine was working in the Shell garage near Jobstown and got robbed three times in a month. He quit as you can imagine. I also used to play football matches out that way a fair bit and we ended up having to race to our cars at the end of two games after the boyizzz turned up at the side of the pitch and started throwing ****e at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

mixednuts wrote: »
    Do you just ride birds from Tallaght ?

No that was just the one. And you would have too, I'd bet. The other one I was with at the Square wasn't from there.
    amacca wrote: »
    Wow......intelligent little thugs aren't they....next they will be throwing their wallets and playstations at people.

You should have challenged them to a game of chess.

If they threw a bicycle at me it would be returned to them resembling a wheelchair.

That one was actually hilarious, even at the time. The looks on their faces were priceless. I probably would have chased them off and taken one of their bikes just for a laugh if I'd been on my own, but the people I was with didnt want to stick around for the whole family to turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I completely agree.

Lived in Tallaght all my life. Grew up in Homelawns. It's near Old Bawn but would have a worse reputation as it was near a lot of council flats

it was made look better by millbrook lawns :D;) and then the junkie centre arrived and ruined it for both of us :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I live in Tallaght. It is a kip.

Rubbish everywhere, scumbag kids allowed run wild, lots of petty crime.

But most amazingly it is still a very expensive place to live:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id]=296&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&search_type=sale&s[sort_by]=price&s[sort_type]=d&fr=default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭amacca

The looks on their faces were priceless. I probably would have chased them off and taken one of their bikes just for a laugh if I'd been on my own, but the people I was with didnt want to stick around for the whole family to turn up.

That always holds me back in these situations too

juicy lucy's and mental eddie's bruddas and cousints could literally be around the next corner

If I thought they were a bit further away, I didn't live in the area and cameras were not working Ireland would see a return to on the spot corporal punishment...at least on my account.

I live in Tallaght. It is a kip.

Rubbish everywhere, scumbag kids allowed run wild, lots of petty crime.

maybe you should clean your house and spank your kids:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

maybe you should clean your house and spank your kids:cool:

House is clean, don't have kids.

I live in the Jobstown end of Tallaght. I understand and accept this is the worst part. But it is so huge it gives the whole of Tallaght a bad name.

House is clean, don't have kids.

I live in the Jobstown end of Tallaght. I understand and accept this is the worst part. But it is so huge it gives the whole of Tallaght a bad name.

just incase you think im a knob i was joking but internet sarcasm is hard to get,anyway i know a few people from jobstown and they are lovely its not the area that raises scumbags its the ****ty parents

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement