Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Can't understand anyone who leaves the scene of an accident.

No Insurance , Licence , Tax , Stolen Car , Drunk , Drugs

Take your pick im guessing its any one of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

No Insurance , Licence , Tax , Stolen Car , Drunk , Drugs

Take your pick im guessing its any one of the above.

Or it may have been deliberate

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Speaking of the Ashe Hotel and Boyle Brothers, I heard they have bought the old Goblin factory in Clash and are going to have a large hardware/home store there like the one in Killorglin.
    Not sure how true it is, but it makes sense, I presume that land backs onto their existing hardware yard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Speaking of the Ashe Hotel and Boyle Brothers, I heard they have bought the old Goblin factory in Clash and are going to have a large hardware/home store there like the one in Killorglin.
    Not sure how true it is, but it makes sense, I presume that land backs onto their existing hardware yard.

I did hear there was something going into the old Goblin factory in Clash, I don't know what it is though. Would be good to see something going back in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Funnily enough I was there only last night with my husband for food. I hadn't realised that the bar & entrance is now at the old entrance to where you would go in toward their events room/hall. Smaller bar now but really nice. Food was nice too and pretty reasonably priced. Good to see a few craft beers and a nice cocktail list! Nice place to go for something informal.

The bar on the left as you go in used to be the breakfast room in the old hotel. Are they re-opening the old (much larger) bar at all?

• Advertisement

There was a non fatal hit & run last week in the Spa area, and Gardai want info if possible
    http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-appealing-for-witnesses-to-hit-and-run-accident/

Can't understand anyone who leaves the scene of an accident.

Was the fatal one up Killerisk a hit and run or did the driver stop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »

I'm not sure, but I don't think it was a hit & run.

Just btw I tried out the Dublin Coach service last Friday morning. I was getting the 1am (yes you read that right) service going to Dublin Airport. I bought the tickets online - €20. First off the pick up/drop off point for Dublin Coach services is at the very top of Princess Street right outside Kerry Co-ops HQ. I was the only person on the bus from Tralee to Limerick, we picked up one more person in Limerick City, about half a dozen at the University stop, and one more at the Kildare Outlet Centre Stop - almost everyone its seems transferred to the Dublin Airport service from the Red Cow Luas stop. We arrived at the airport a little after 5.30am so 4.5 hours from Tralee to Dublin Airport - not bad at all. Only complaint is that the bus' suspension seemed to not take the bumps really well but maybe I was feeling it that more down at the very back of the bus. The buses are certainly not old and seating is a good leather quality. What I found really good about the bus was the leg room and there were seats at the back where there is an emergency exit with a full row of leg room if that is a factor for really tall people.

PS there is a toilet on board in case anyone was wondering. I didn't use it so cannot give a review on it.

Overall its well worth the money relative to Bus Eireann or Irish Rail and especially if your destination is the Airport.

kn wrote: »

The womans death wasn't related to the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Does anyone know how much it is to park for 24 hours in the Edward Street car park? I can't find anything online

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how much it is to park for 24 hours in the Edward Street car park? I can't find anything online

I think most of the car parks around town have a €4 daily fee or something like that. Check out the others to see if they are any better value.

Pink Fairy wrote: »

Did she fall off the bike or was it something to do with the road surface then?

I did see their prices up on the building, but I can't really remember them. I think one was €10 for a week.

really? I thought it she was knocked off her bike? what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

ongarboy wrote: »
    I paid a visit to the Ashe hotel for the first time on Saturday - highly recommended for all day grub (great choice of sandwiches and full meals and very professionally presented). Very good service, nearly everything under 10 euro and great surroundings and ambience too! Apparently the menu has been revamped and improved from when they first opened a few months back so initial visitors might want to have another sample if previously not overly impressed. I'd definitely go back again!

Heard last weekend that they are closing next week for winter season -opening again in March

Heard last weekend that they are closing next week for winter season -opening again in March

That didn't last long! If a hotel has to close for the best part of 5 months of the year then its viability really is in question. You are of course not going to hang on to staff for example. If they were taking advantage of the winter season to do a full refurb of the rooms/bar then I could understand it but otherwise it does not sound good. I use the Leisure Centre in Fels Point and I never see it busy up there so I really wonder how Tralee could sustain the two reopened hotels.

they were advertising last week for free parking at lunch, and they have mid-term family rate specials on their website, so I doubt they are closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think you have been misinformed. Their website is taking hotel bookings for December! :)

The waiter who served us the last day informally advised that they are considering among other options reopening the old main bar as a kind of venue bar (eg old Rambling House Tralee/Whelans Dublin) for local and visiting bands/performers. I think that is an excellent idea and something Tralee is really lacking currently. As I said this is just under consideration so not a definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Wow, never thought I would see this type of comparison.

People in Tralee seem to hold the Rambling House up on a pedestal for some reason (or maybe it's just an age thing) in reality there was never many visiting bands, it was most the same bands every week if I remember correctly, unless people consider the likes of Big Generator making the trip down every weekend as a visiting band.

Just sayin'
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Rambling House Tralee/Whelans Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Do you mean there was no car involved ? That is not what I have seen reported.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is this really the place to be discussing a woman's death, at least until we know the full facts?

There could be friends or family reading this!

The Stonehouse restaurant has been issued a closure order by the Food Standards Agency!

The Stonehouse restaurant has been issued a closure order by the Food Standards Agency!

Yeah heard that. They already closed. It was a 3 day closure from the 30th sept until the 2nd Oct.
    not a good thing to happen for them. I haven't been there yet, but always hearing mixed reports.

Very surprised by that, have eaten there many times and always found the food to be excellent.
    I believe there has been a recent change in management, could be to rectify things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ate there once for a class party and was very happy with the food and service, of all the places to fail a safety inspection in Tralee, I wasn't expecting there.

Very surprised by that, have eaten there many times and always found the food to be excellent.
    I believe there has been a recent change in management, could be to rectify things

It'll be impossible to come back from this, bar a name and management change!

It'll be impossible to come back from this, bar a name and management change!

They're not the first to fail, time and special offers are a great healer. Personally i would have no qualms about going back

They're not the first to fail, time and special offers are a great healer. Personally i would have no qualms about going back

Big difference between failing, and being closed by the food authority in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

It could be something as simple as a blocked fire exit. I've eaten there a few times and always found it to be excellent

• Advertisement

It could be something as simple as a blocked fire exit. I've eaten there a few times and always found it to be excellent

They had a 3 DAY closure, its not for something as simple as that! They call to you once, give you a list of things that they want done/rectified, they call again, if those things aren't done, its either they give you another chance or that's it, immediate closure and a fine. Believe me, they don't close you for 3 days for a fire door being blocked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement