Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A very serious incident in Killeen Woods last night has left a young fellow in critical condition. Two men arrested!

That's terrible. Hope he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    That's terrible. Hope he pulls through.

It's probably not ok for me to say who it was here, is it Ciarrai?

It was about 10ish last night, lots of shouting and the place was full of ambulances and garda until after midnight. Place was all taped and tarped waiting for forensics this morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

oeb wrote: »
    It's probably not ok for me to say who it was here, is it Ciarrai?

It was about 10ish last night, lots of shouting and the place was full of ambulances and garda until after midnight. Place was all taped and tarped waiting for forensics this morning.

No don't mention names here for now. Unless it is published already in the media, its best to say nothing.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    No don't mention names here for now. Unless it is published already in the media, its best to say nothing.

No probs.

Forensics team are still in there, had a few garda up at lunch taking statements. The young lad is still alive but in serious condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Tralee is going from bad to worse. You would be afraid to go anywhere in the town in company let alone on your own.

There was a time when I would walk home from a night out without batting an eyelid. I would leave Privilage(Horans) get a snackbox in American Style and walk home munching it not a bother.

These days you would be worried going to the local shop for Milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Town is probably safer than it was 10-15 years ago,

I don't think it is . Before you only had to be concerned about the travellers. These days the travellers are a breath of fresh air compared to some of the group's going about .

Tralee is going from bad to worse. You would be afraid to go anywhere in the town in company let alone on your own.

There was a time when I would walk home from a night out without batting an eyelid. I would leave Privilage(Horans) get a snackbox in American Style and walk home munching it not a bother.

These days you would be worried going to the local shop for Milk.

Can't say I find it that way! I am never worried about where I walk, and I'm female! Obviously I'd keep my wits about me, as I would anywhere. This incident wasn't random anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Indo says that the victim and those arrested are East European - surprise surprise. A lot rented houses up that way.

Note as well how the Indo could only be ar$ed to get their pic from Google Maps.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/man-20s-found-unconscious-in-front-garden-of-house-in-serious-condition-31573021.html

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I think that Tralee is a safe place. I don't live there but visit it regularly 10 or 12 times a month for 9 years, and I have never felt or encountered any danger from anyone. Bad stuff happens sometimes, and unfortunately within friend's circles. I hope that young guy gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

kn wrote: »
    Indo says that the victim and those arrested are East European - surprise surprise.

kn wrote: »
    Note as well how the Indo could only be ar$ed to get their pic from Google Maps.

Prefer that to having to bloody queue to get home because of the camera men blocking the cul-de-sac yesterday.

And personally, I don't ever feel unsafe in Tralee. I have been living here for about a year and a half now, and have never personally had a problem with anyone.

Don't get me wrong. I don't feel unsafe and I am capable of looking after / defending myself if needs be. I just feel the overall dynamic of the town has changes compared to 10 / 15 years ago.

There are more groups of teenagers roaming the town at night with nothing better to do. Couple this with the amount of non nationals that go around in groups it can be quite intimidating.

A female cyclist was knocked down on Thursday night & is in a serious condition
    I hope she will be ok.

http://traleetoday.ie/cyclist-in-serious-condition-after-road-accident-in-killerisk/

The lad that was assaulted in killeen died last night

That man who was assaulted in Kileen woods has sadly passed away. RIP & condolences to his family.
    http://traleetoday.ie/man-assaulted-in-killeen-woods-has-died/

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    The lad that was assaulted in killeen died last night

Heard that alright.
    Would I be right in saying he was an extremely tall man?

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    If their prices were a bit more reasonable they would have had more regular customers.I visited once and once only.I am a sweetaholic and should have been their target market surely.

Their prices were a bit like those of the sweets for sale near the checkouts in TK Maxx, difference is TK Maxx already have your custom at that stage, and if they can sell you a few sweets in a jar for €6.99 its just a bonus for them!

Another place that likes to charge strong money for sweets is Ballyseedy Garden centre, but it always seems quiet in that corner too. :confused:

Yeah he was 7 ft 2 apparently. You would often see him walking around the town .

Appartently he got into an altercation outside Tesco in the square last week too.

Yeah he was 7 ft 2 apparently. You would often see him walking around the town .

Appartently he got into an altercation outside Tesco in the square last week too.

Saw him around a few times alright, not an easy man to miss.

• Advertisement

he's been named now in the Examiner. They claim he was 7'6!! I was actually talking to him last week! He came into my work & kept hitting his head off the ceiling!

Guys who knew him told us he actually had a heart problem and I think had a transplant at some point. This would be fairly common for people of this height, they would have many health issues due to being so tall.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/russian-man-who-died-after-tralee-assault-grew-up-in-killarney-698973.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes reported in rte news that he was 7'6" and 3rd tallest man in Ireland. Name provided in report too. He was Russian but lived in Killarney. Murder inquiry now underway! RIP

I noticed there's a few new arts & craft type shops after popping up around the town. There's one in Rock street, up near Linnane's pub I think. There's a baby gift shop in around near the Abbey/Sean Og's, just on the corner and another place up Courthouse Lane, called Atlantic Creations. Nice to see places like that pop up for a change. The one in Courthouse Lane is doing all sorts of classes too which is good. Best of luck to them!
    https://www.facebook.com/LeCheileArtsAndCraftsCentre

I spotted this posted up on Facebook earlier, so copied it for here if anyone is interested.

"Darts in the Huddle Bar every Tuesday night. €4 entry, free pizza and everyone assured of at least 3 games bar matches the pot starts 9 . We will also have a team or two in the Tralee and district league and are always looking for players"

The lady who came off her bike has passed away,

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    The lady who came off her bike has passed away,

awh no that's awful :( RIP to her & condolences to her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I paid a visit to the Ashe hotel for the first time on Saturday - highly recommended for all day grub (great choice of sandwiches and full meals and very professionally presented). Very good service, nearly everything under 10 euro and great surroundings and ambience too! Apparently the menu has been revamped and improved from when they first opened a few months back so initial visitors might want to have another sample if previously not overly impressed. I'd definitely go back again!

I haven't been, It just never enters my head to go there for a meal.
    I haven't really seen any advertising for the hotel either, wonder how they're doing?

ongarboy wrote: »
    I paid a visit to the Ashe hotel for the first time on Saturday - highly recommended for all day grub (great choice of sandwiches and full meals and very professionally presented). Very good service, nearly everything under 10 euro and great surroundings and ambience too! Apparently the menu has been revamped and improved from when they first opened a few months back so initial visitors might want to have another sample if previously not overly impressed. I'd definitely go back again!

Funnily enough I was there only last night with my husband for food. I hadn't realised that the bar & entrance is now at the old entrance to where you would go in toward their events room/hall. Smaller bar now but really nice. Food was nice too and pretty reasonably priced. Good to see a few craft beers and a nice cocktail list! Nice place to go for something informal.

• Advertisement

There was a non fatal hit & run last week in the Spa area, and Gardai want info if possible
    http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-appealing-for-witnesses-to-hit-and-run-accident/

Can't understand anyone who leaves the scene of an accident.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement